Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

To say that the Madden series has been a success this console generation would be an overstatement of the decade.

Think back to the year 2004, a year that could be summed up as nothing short of a football gaming utopia. NFL 2K5 aside, EA's Madden 2005 set the bar for all successive iterations in the series. The game was the perfect blend of polished gameplay, solid presentation, and new and innovative features like defensive playmaker controls. Madden 05 had football gamers glued to their consoles for months to come.

Fast forward to 2006 when the now infamous Madden "next-gen" trailer was released, and the hype surrounding Madden's move to the Xbox 360 and PS3 was at a fever pitch.

Read More - Madden's Current Gen Has Not Been a Success

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 STLRams @ 03/10/11 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
If McDonald's was the ONLY fast food joint in the country, they'd be considered a success as well.....no matter how tired (and fat) we'd all get eating nothing but Big Mac's.....
Very True, food for thought.

# 102 turftickler @ 03/10/11 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by algeron04
I was overseas too when the I first saw the trailor for Madden 06 on PS3 was so excited the whole day. I bought the game and a PS3 the same day opened the box put in the disc and started to play. That was the biggest gaming shock ever. I was so disappointed that I continued to use my PS2 until 2008, but even now the game is still a dissappointment. Until NFL sports gaming competition is back Madden will never be as good as we all hoped.
My jaw dropped when I saw that trailer. Also, NBA Live 06's trailer was the same way. I was like, WHOA! I can't wait to get an XBox 360. I was the first in line at gamestop in my town.

Picked up my console, picked up my Madden 06, then I went home and picked up my jaw. That was the worst false advertisement I had ever experienced.

# 103 mestevo @ 03/10/11 11:22 AM
I don't really have any pity for anyone who watched a clearly CG trailer from May of 2005 and then bought the game 6 months later without looking at a single screenshot or anything else about the game... like maybe the back of the box... or didn't see any commercials about it... (both 360 and Madden commercials). Everyone is responsible for their own due diligence before making any purchase.

# 104 kjcheezhead @ 03/10/11 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I don't really have any pity for anyone who watched a clearly CG trailer from May of 2005 and then bought the game 6 months later without looking at a single screenshot or anything else about the game... like maybe the back of the box... or didn't see any commercials about it... (both 360 and Madden commercials). Everyone is responsible for their own due diligence before making any purchase.
We are not talking an underground game by an unknown publisher. Just the year before EA released Madden 05, which was probably one of the best Maddens ever. Now comes a trailer introducing Madden on the PS3/360, hardware that was going to slay anything the ps2 could ever do.

You don't expect the industry leader for 20 years, the company with NFL excluisve rights to drop a turd like 2006 into the box and sell it. Had there been a competitor, that game would have had the same fate as NBA Elite this year.

# 105 mestevo @ 03/10/11 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
We are not talking an underground game by an unknown publisher. Just the year before EA released Madden 05, which was probably one of the best Maddens ever. Now comes a trailer introducing Madden on the PS3/360, hardware that was going to slay anything the ps2 could ever do.

You don't expect the industry leader for 20 years, the company with NFL excluisve rights to drop a turd like 2006 into the box and sell it. Had there been a competitor, that game would have had the same fate as NBA Elite this year.
Except that's not what I was talking about, I am talking about people seeing the CG trailer from May 2005 and running out and buying a 360 and 06 and being disappointed as if they never saw any commercials for either the 360 or Madden that came out 6 full months later.

I also don't just give any competition a pass, APF2k8 would have been just a poor if it had released head to head with Madden 06. It's nice to just make things up and say it would be better, but I prefer talking about the things that actually happened. I'd take Madden 06 over any attempt at competition that's come out since.

# 106 kjcheezhead @ 03/10/11 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Except that's not what I was talking about, I am talking about people seeing the CG trailer from May 2005 and running out and buying a 360 and 06 and being disappointed as if they never saw any commercials for either the 360 or Madden that came out 6 full months later.

I also don't just give any competition a pass, APF2k8 would have been just a poor if it had released head to head with Madden 06. It's nice to just make things up and say it would be better, but I prefer talking about the things that actually happened. I'd take Madden 06 over any attempt at competition that's come out since.
APF was practically a direct port. Had it released in 2006 (with NFL teams), I believe it would have. At any rate, I don't think either game would have dropped with only 6 months of development because neither were ready. With a competitor ready to pick up customers they lose, companies care more about the quality of their product.

# 107 coogrfan @ 03/10/11 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
APF was practically a direct port. Had it released in 2006 (with NFL teams), I believe it would have. At any rate, I don't think either game would have dropped with only 6 months of development because neither were ready. With a competitor ready to pick up customers they lose, companies care more about the quality of their product.
One need look no further than NBA 2k6 (360), which was a direct port of the last gen version with spruced up graphics. The result was a title that proved to be one of the best of the 360 launch titles and a solid foundation for future development.

One also can't help but wonder where the Madden/NCAA series might be today if EA hadn't decided to attempt to build a new football engine from the ground up.

# 108 turftickler @ 03/15/11 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
One need look no further than NBA 2k6 (360), which was a direct port of the last gen version with spruced up graphics. The result was a title that proved to be one of the best of the 360 launch titles and a solid foundation for future development.

One also can't help but wonder where the Madden/NCAA series might be today if EA hadn't decided to attempt to build a new football engine from the ground up.
Agreed. They should have kept the 2005 engine. I feel like I have been getting sucker punched every year with NCAA and Madden 11. The games look beautiful, but the core gameplay is horrible.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.