Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

The first extended look at MLB 2K11 gameplay footage pitting the Philadelphia Phillies at the Colorado Rockies in the top of the 8th inning.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Picci @ 02/23/11 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Really, IMO CPU vs CPU should be the standard that these sports games go by for their videos (not that it's just 2K, hardly anyone really does it). You get to see the AI and the game in it's "natural" state, so to speak...
I agree with this 100%.

I don't know fellows, after watching the video again, I'm left wondering what ever happened to the RTP (Real Time Presentation) that 2K was so good at doing. Whether it was Ronny or anyone else playing a game, we got to see what should be baseball at it's very best, the playoffs. The camaraderie around home plate or in the dugout after the grand slam should have been a given. Frenzy fans waving rally towels in the stands should have been a given. It was extremely a let down.

# 102 ChaseB @ 02/23/11 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazzen
ROFL.

He looks like the emperor.

Seriously though, Charlie Manual in real life does look like he's knocking on death's door. Looking at that pic and him in game, it's not that far off.

Ha, no argument here. I think if he just had a little color and his jowls it wouldn't be so bad.

# 103 LastActionHero @ 02/23/11 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdinator
Love to see that mountain fountain!

Animations seem pretty smooth and the contact is fairly well portrayed. The thing that grates on me the most is the zombie look on the players faces. Some of the fielders look like they were the characters that couldnt make the cut in dead rising!!!!
Rmember them (2k) saying the exact same thing in one of their blogs? That the players in 10 really had a zombie expression but they made a huge facial upgrade for 11....uh right.

# 104 johnnyg713 @ 02/23/11 12:45 PM
I still dont like the throwing animations from the outfield to the infield. The outfielders gun the ball to the cut off guy. One of the things that really bothered me in 2k10

# 105 Pared @ 02/23/11 02:52 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2042008290

I suggest you read on before you continue posting.

# 106 Blzer @ 02/23/11 05:34 PM
With some of the new things I liked (loved the re-inclusion of some real-time elements), the one AI managerial decision I had a problem with was how they put in a new pitcher before intentionally walking the #8 hitter, as opposed to after. The difference between ball-on-grass and ball-on-dirt physics is a very welcoming addition too.

There were a lot of 2K10 moments that I noticed which weren't pretty though, and some of their new presentation changes were a bit questionable. As top-notch as the commentary was, where was John Kruk? He had like four lines in the whole ten minutes. And obviously it was a pretty low difficulty, so I'm not going to hark on the number of hits but that wasn't the best way to show a gameplay video IMO haha.

The slow-motion home run thing was just weird and I didn't like that the opposite field blasts are still in there, but Seth Smith is just that scary it might actually be realistic.

# 107 Jistic @ 02/23/11 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
No game can EVER get crowd noise right.....this is frustrating!!!!!!

NLCS......Coors Field......a Grand Slam......annnnnnnnd.............the crowd says "yay".

Still waay to quiet!
Same when they tied it. Thorne's reactions seem to be very bland as well. It really looked the same as 2K10 to be honest. Another oppo shot, hearing the same lines, kinda just a bland feel to it.

But if they finally get pitching right it should be fun. I just don't really expect much from these guys just like I don't in football games anymore.

# 108 ZakDodge15 @ 02/23/11 06:21 PM
It looks very good in all but I still think that the gloves should be fixed if there is a possible way to do it, cause to me or anyone else who agrees they do need some improvment.

# 109 Ltrain44 @ 02/23/11 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakDodge15
It looks very good in all but I still think that the gloves should be fixed if there is a possible way to do it, cause to me or anyone else who agrees they do need some improvment.
Agreed. The gloves have been crap for years and have never been good. Maybe it's a frame rate thing?

# 110 brendanrfoley @ 02/23/11 08:34 PM
I do wish Ronnie put more care into which half-inning he recorded and posted. As others have mentioned, this video shows little of the improvements for 2K11. There are a few things, though. The looping double to right-center had a softness to it that didn't exist in 2K10 and the fielding animations look much improved.

That said, I do wish VC would work on some of odd animation transitions (such as the replay of the runner crossing the plate). They've been in the game for two years now and are ugly as sin.

# 111 RoyalBoyle78 @ 02/23/11 08:57 PM
Did not read the whole thread, but look at the last batter hit, the ball hits the floor and Utley catch it and it's an out.

# 112 AmazingMets @ 02/23/11 09:15 PM
Oh my gosh. now I know why i only come to these forums for sliders/rosters/information.

This is probably the most negative community I've ever looked at. Seriously? That video is already so much better than 2K10. Many of you might not remember 2K10, but I actually just played it yesterday (no lie.)

# 113 NumberOneRB @ 02/23/11 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingMets
Oh my gosh. now I know why i only come to these forums for sliders/rosters/information.

This is probably the most negative community I've ever looked at. Seriously? That video is already so much better than 2K10. Many of you might not remember 2K10, but I actually just played it yesterday (no lie.)
I've had and played 2K10 for months (along with helping Ronnie with the patch list fixes they eventually made to that game) and I can honestly say there was barely ANYTHING in that video that showed noticeable improvements from 2K10. It was a poorly made video with poorly made execution.

Its so amazing to me how many times this company can shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to their baseball franchise. Just such poor execution on their part every year. I know this was only a brief clip, but you would think that these developers would have a greater sense of urgency to bring out a flood of information and other gaming material to showcase the improvements of their franchise.

For goodness sake, other developers who are at the upper echelon of sports gaming (won't mention names) could easily rest on their laurels and release barely ANYTHING every year, and yet they still release a plethora of info and media at a consistent rate as if they constantly have to reprove themselves. I await more videos (and a demo) to get a better idea of what they REALLY did with this game, but until then, this company needs to start bringing their A-GAME.

# 114 DJ @ 02/23/11 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
With some of the new things I liked (loved the re-inclusion of some real-time elements), the one AI managerial decision I had a problem with was how they put in a new pitcher before intentionally walking the #8 hitter, as opposed to after. The difference between ball-on-grass and ball-on-dirt physics is a very welcoming addition too.

There were a lot of 2K10 moments that I noticed which weren't pretty though, and some of their new presentation changes were a bit questionable. As top-notch as the commentary was, where was John Kruk? He had like four lines in the whole ten minutes. And obviously it was a pretty low difficulty, so I'm not going to hark on the number of hits but that wasn't the best way to show a gameplay video IMO haha.

The slow-motion home run thing was just weird and I didn't like that the opposite field blasts are still in there, but Seth Smith is just that scary it might actually be realistic.
I've been to plenty of Rockies games the past few years and I can attest to the fact that Smith does have opposite-field power at Coors Field. You probably won't see him do that on the road and by nature, he is a pull-hitter (although he's working on spraying the ball more to be an everyday player), so I didn't have an issue with the HR.

The ball physics still feel a little "off" to me. Not sure what it is but it just doesn't have a natural feel to it and I still think balls get to the infielders too quickly. I'd like to see that toned down so you can see them make a play on the ball; instead what you get is a quick cut and the ball is already in the glove.

I won't make a final decision on the game until I get my hands on a Demo, but I have to admit, I was a little let down by the video after reading all the positive articles. I was expecting to see more and I didn't get it.

# 115 jeffy777 @ 02/23/11 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
I've had and played 2K10 for months (along with helping Ronnie with the patch list fixes they eventually made to that game) and I can honestly say there was barely ANYTHING in that video that showed noticeable improvements from 2K10. It was a poorly made video with poorly made execution.

Its so amazing to me how many times this company can shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to their baseball franchise. Just such poor execution on their part every year. I know this was only a brief clip, but you would think that these developers would have a greater sense of urgency to bring out a flood of information and other gaming material to showcase the improvements of their franchise.

For goodness sake, other developers who are at the upper echelon of sports gaming (won't mention names) could easily rest on their laurels and release barely ANYTHING every year, and yet they still release a plethora of info and media at a consistent rate as if they constantly have to reprove themselves. I await more videos (and a demo) to get a better idea of what they REALLY did with this game, but until then, this company needs to start bringing their A-GAME.
Preach it, brother!

It is frustrating....hopefully the game isn't.

# 116 DJ @ 02/23/11 11:49 PM
I don't want to be one-sided and just mention the negatives, so let me bring up some things I did like:

-Camera angle for batting. I know it was in last year's game, but I still mention it because it is real nice. It's great for picking up pitches.

-I like that the camera "stays" with the batter after contact. It does make it easier for you to decide if you are going to go for an extra base or stay put.

-Commentary is great.

-I don't mind the slow-mo for the Grand Slam, since it was a no-doubter HR. I have no problems if 2K does that with bombs (400-plus feet), just so long as the homers that only go a couple of rows deep aren't like that.

-Nice job with the fountain in CF after Smith's HR. Although to nit-pick, they do stay on for several seconds instead of being fired once like in the game.

-It looks like the Real-Time Presentation has been increased a bit from last year, which is a good thing.

-I love the stat overlays

-Crowd chants are a nice touch. I would've liked to have heard more of a roar from the crowd after the GS, but otherwise, I like that the crowd is "alive" during the game.

-On second-look, the ball does come off the bat a little better than last year, although there are times (like Fowler's grounder) where the ball position/swing timing don't coincide with where the ball winds up.

-Variable strike zone. That changeup that caught the bottom of the zone against Fowler would've for sure been a strike in 2K10.

# 117 Spanky @ 02/24/11 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I won't make a final decision on the game until I get my hands on a Demo, but I have to admit, I was a little let down by the video after reading all the positive articles. I was expecting to see more and I didn't get it.
You hit the nail on the head here. My hopes were raised by the all the glowing previews and I was left with an indifferent feeling after seeing it, kind of like "What was all that hype about?''

I'm reserving judgment until more videos and feedback come out and still remain hopeful that this will be the best of what has been a calamity of a series.

But I must say that this company has virtually no marketing sense, at least in regards to this franchise. That video looks like something someone slapped together in 10 minutes with virtually no thought put into it.

Maybe not a good idea to use a segment with Charlie Manuel in it, since that can scare small children.

The dearth of videos/information and the decision to not release the demo until at least next week is suspicious. It just seems to me if they truly believed they had a gem on their hands, or at least a significant upgrade from last year, that they would be putting out an all-out media assault.

But I certainly hope I'm wrong.

# 118 tazbk @ 02/24/11 12:39 AM
Quote:

I understand what you are saying. That is the nature of message boards in general. It is the same as nature of critics, both operate to find flaws and things wrong with something before praise.

My suggestion to you and others would be to play the game for yourself (demo will eventually come out) or rent it and be the judge for yourself. There is no perfect game (no pun intended) but you can find a game enjoyable that others do not.

I do think this board and others can be useful avenues for developers but there are some people that will nitpick at EVERYTHING and it comes with the territory.

# 119 AmazingMets @ 02/24/11 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB

Wow. You must definitely be older than me.
I can't believe you are worried about how much information you receive. really?

Everyone works in a different way. It is 2K's opinion (by the looks of it) that it is better to not give a lot of information and instead let you play the game, and make your own opinions.

Also, i think that you need to worry about well, everything less. Dude, it's a video game, and you and many others on here need to remember that. Stop looking for every little thing, and ENJOY the freaking thing. It is supposed to be fun. I don't think there will ever be a game (because even if something is "perfect" you will probably find something) where you won't find something that you dislike. Chill and enjoy this upcoming game as something to relax and blow off stress on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazbk
I understand what you are saying. That is the nature of message boards in general. It is the same as nature of critics, both operate to find flaws and things wrong with something before praise.

My suggestion to you and others would be to play the game for yourself (demo will eventually come out) or rent it and be the judge for yourself. There is no perfect game (no pun intended) but you can find a game enjoyable that others do not.

I do think this board and others can be useful avenues for developers but there are some people that will nitpick at EVERYTHING and it comes with the territory.
On the contrary. I, myself, post on another message board that is not as negative. In fact, most of the time, if the posters don't like a game then... they don't post about it! Whoa. Isn't that a great idea?!

# 120 elfdutch @ 02/24/11 09:22 AM
Quote:
Wow. You must definitely be older than me.
I can't believe you are worried about how much information you receive. really?

Everyone works in a different way. It is 2K's opinion (by the looks of it) that it is better to not give a lot of information and instead let you play the game, and make your own opinions.

Also, i think that you need to worry about well, everything less. Dude, it's a video game, and you and many others on here need to remember that. Stop looking for every little thing, and ENJOY the freaking thing. It is supposed to be fun. I don't think there will ever be a game (because even if something is "perfect" you will probably find something) where you won't find something that you dislike. Chill and enjoy this upcoming game as something to relax and blow off stress on.

I really don't see how being younger or older has anything to do with it. We all have opinions, some good some bad. I agree that it's not the end of the world, but i don't see how the "it's just a game mentality" does anything to improve future releases of such a game.
No game is perfect i agree. But when a game has things that are reported by a large number of people as being negative, the producer can use this feedback to improve the next installment of this game. For me, from what i've seen sofar i still don't like the replays, they are the same as last year and suck. Doesn't mean i do not like the game (i'm still playing 2k10 and i like it) but better replays can improve the atmosphere of the game, and the enjoyment i get from it. So, i choose to post it here, maybe it helps, maybe not.

On the contrary. I, myself, post on another message board that is not as negative. In fact, most of the time, if the posters don't like a game then... they don't post about it! Whoa. Isn't that a great idea?!
Same as above. You can choose to not post about it, or you can choose not to do so. Nothing wrong with posting your impressions, be they positive or negative.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.