Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

The MLB 11 The Show demo is available now. It weighs in at roughly 3 GB and features the Texas Rangers vs. the San Francisco Giants, in a 4 inning World Series rematch.

Please post your impressions here.

DO NOT post that you are downloading the demo, what % the download is at, the fact that you are starting to install it, etc.

IMPRESSIONS ONLY please.

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 cp22 @ 02/22/11 08:56 PM
Wondering why this demo starts on All Star difficulty. I always play veteran but thought that maybe with the new controls it would be too easy so the defaulted to all star, I was wrong. I switched to veteran in the 3rd inning.

This game is tough. Pitching is alright, I don't know if it's a huge improvement over last year.

Batting is tough as hell. I managed to get 1 hit in 4 innings. I think its going to take a lot of practice. When there is a ball low and away and I'm swinging the analog stick up, how am I going to get the PCI in the right location?

I like the fielding a lot. Feels very smooth and feels like I'm in control.

The announcing is good but it sounds like Karros is in another room.

Those were quick impressions my views could change a lot with more practice.

# 62 DickDalewood @ 02/22/11 08:57 PM
I haven't needed it, but is there a power swing option with these analog controls? I'm more curious than anything.

# 63 pdawg17 @ 02/22/11 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_b
I like it too. Although, i take it the audio quality is compressed in this demo. Either that, or i need to re-wire my speakers..

_
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp22
Wondering why this demo starts on All Star difficulty. I always play veteran but thought that maybe with the new controls it would be too easy so the defaulted to all star, I was wrong. I switched to veteran in the 3rd inning.

This game is tough. Pitching is alright, I don't know if it's a huge improvement over last year.

Batting is tough as hell. I managed to get 1 hit in 4 innings. I think its going to take a lot of practice. When there is a ball low and away and I'm swinging the analog stick up, how am I going to get the PCI in the right location?

I like the fielding a lot. Feels very smooth and feels like I'm in control.

The announcing is good but it sounds like Karros is in another room.

Those were quick impressions my views could change a lot with more practice.
Funny you mention that...I notice the same thing...compared to the other two guys Karros sounds like he was recorded over speakerphone or something...not good...

# 64 RobertYankee092 @ 02/22/11 09:00 PM
So far I love it. I will most likely keep myself at classic batting. But I love the analog pitching. Looks great, sounds great. IT IS GREAT!

Can't wait for March 8th!

# 65 sink4ever @ 02/22/11 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I haven't needed it, but is there a power swing option with these analog controls? I'm more curious than anything.
Yeah, you hit square beforehand for power, circle for the new "contact". You can always hit X to go back to normal. Should feel a rumble when you press the button.

# 66 Skyboxer @ 02/22/11 09:00 PM
Ok first off.....damn!! I Love this game!!

Oh and yeah Catcher cam 5 is NICE!! Still want to create my own though.

Analog controls are awesome and damn it SCEA I've been asking for true zone and I'll be damned if you didn't make analog hitting very fun. Going to go back and forth and will decide eventually.

I lost first game 2-1 as the Giants on All Star settings. All analog controls first inning and zone hitting during 2nd inning but switched back to analog for the rest of the game.

My first inning I got lead off man on and took an extra step lead. The CPU threw over and runner made it back safe
THEN the CPU threw over again and threw it in the stands
Next batter got a single and a run scored.

How anyone can say it feels like '10 with new controls amazes me. I'm not going to dwell on that though and I'll just focus of the game.

On to game 2 in 3D

# 67 Clarke_311 @ 02/22/11 09:01 PM
Quote:
There is, but I think you have to hit power swing before the pitch is thrown or something like thtat.

# 68 Heroesandvillains @ 02/22/11 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp22
Aim towards the ball on the follow through. Low and away to a lefty is still up and to the left.

# 69 RGmoney @ 02/22/11 09:02 PM
Quote:

Per Russell earlier in the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
You pre-load your swings X=regular, O=contact, [] for power, if you don't pre-load it defaults to regular swing.

# 70 zukes @ 02/22/11 09:02 PM
I found the analog controls hard, but I only gave them two innings as the Flames are on in a minute. I will reserve judgement.

I then played an inning with last year's controls and WOW! Everything is smoother than before, the swings are way more fluid, the pitching meter is noticably smoother as well, though I think tougher.

I think the break on especially the changeup was tweaked, drops a lot more.

I still find the commentary good as well, but I understand the frustration and would welcome an update at the very least.

The stadium looks awesome, can't wait to see them all.

I did hear the "squeak" a couple times as well.

# 71 cp22 @ 02/22/11 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
Aim towards the ball on the follow through. Low and away to a lefty is still up and to the left.
K thanks I'll try that.

# 72 bcruise @ 02/22/11 09:04 PM
Quote:
I saw a graphic while I was batting that switched between saying *Power Swing Square* and *Contact Swing Circle*. This is with analog controls on.

# 73 PLite14 @ 02/22/11 09:05 PM
The new analog pitching is taking some getting used to, but it feels just about the right difficulty. It's going to be hard now to not walk at least a couple guys a game.

Same goes for the hitting. It's going to take some time to get good at it, but it's going to be really fun when I master it.

I can't decide if the commentary was slightly improved or made worse by Karros. There was one instance where Karros and Vasgersian actually were talking to eachother about why the Giants were a championship team, but it sounded kind of funny. Something just sounds different from the others when Karros talks.

I just witnessed a cool animation I've never seen before (maybe it was in '10 too, I don't recall seeing it though). I made an overthrow to first and it went into the Rangers' dugout. Everyone in the vicinity of the ball immediately hit the deck.

# 74 bcruise @ 02/22/11 09:07 PM
Alright...hearing a bit of the new commentary now and I like how Matt V transitions from calling a play into handing it off to Karros. This may be still be the same structure because there's no back and forth, but it does flow a lot smoother.

The comment was after a first pitch strike from Lincecum, and Matt started talking about the Giants pitching last year and Karros added to it.

# 75 AlexOvechkin @ 02/22/11 09:08 PM
Quote:
Don't think so.. there's just a down-up movement to make.

# 76 DickDalewood @ 02/22/11 09:09 PM
Thanks for the responses on the hitting fellas. BTW, the lighting as AMAZING. Wow, as the game falls to dusk? Incredible.

# 77 vinny_b @ 02/22/11 09:11 PM
SCEA definitely got Pablo Sandoval's proportions correct...

_

# 78 DickDalewood @ 02/22/11 09:14 PM
Won my first game on All-Star difficulty 5-4

# 79 McCannFann @ 02/22/11 09:15 PM
Still scoreless into the 7th inning, ahaha. I need to learn how to hit with this analog stick, soooooon.

# 80 bcruise @ 02/22/11 09:16 PM
Quote:
Won my first game on All-Star difficulty 5-4
I'm SO going to get shut out....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.