Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

Check out the MLB 11 The Show 40-Man roster ratings for the American League East. More to come.

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Majingir @ 03/03/11 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays20593
Jays rosters look good except theres no way Brett Cecil should be rated lower than Jesse Litsch and Zep.

Also, it's kinda weird the game is shipping with Napoli on the roster when he was only on the team for 3 days.
Ya, Cecil should be higher up for sure.

I'm guessing they made last min roster updates after the Wells trade then? Wonder if Napoli will have Jays hat then lol.

Is Dotel really the highest rated Jays player.....he isn't that good is he?

# 22 ellgieff @ 03/03/11 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBaconBeckham
If there's one thing that Sony San Diego needs to up its game in - it's the rating, simulation, and statistical part of the game.
That's three things, bro.

# 23 Philthy65 @ 03/03/11 11:34 PM
Horrible ratings for the Yankees. Burnett over Hughes? Gardner is ridiculously low. Marte is way too high.

# 24 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/04/11 12:38 AM
They can not make the contacts close. It is a legal issue with the license. So as much as everyone would like to think they can, they can not.

# 25 bobeureally27 @ 03/04/11 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPitcher
Thank you for understanding my point =) My 1st baseman has signed a MAX 250mil 10 year deal before, but you can't even sign for A Rods contract let alone BEAT it...and A Rod isn't even the highest paid player for the Yankees?!?! It IS a big deal to me (I only really play RTTS but do so year round, and I am pissing my pants until 12:01 Monday night)
I think the other guy thought I was being disrespectful, but I LOVE this game, I was only saying, this small detail could be MUCH BETTER with VERY LITTLE EFFORT!
I mean, I do get your point. But when you act like the sky is falling, you're point kind of loses any validity. It's not game-breaking. I am a huge fan of accurate contracts (which that other game does have), but I'd take great gameplay over accurate contracts any day of the week.

# 26 theaub @ 03/04/11 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Ya, Cecil should be higher up for sure.

I'm guessing they made last min roster updates after the Wells trade then? Wonder if Napoli will have Jays hat then lol.

Is Dotel really the highest rated Jays player.....he isn't that good is he?
Dotel isn't even a top 5 reliever on this team

But no reason to complain since this can all be edited.

# 27 Golds @ 03/04/11 07:56 AM
Has anyone noticed the huge amount of 1/1 contracts there are on the teams? Are those accurate? It seems like a TON, I guess I'll have to put my GM hat on in the off season for my Yankees.

# 28 andrewochs615 @ 03/04/11 08:31 AM
No vlad on the O's?

# 29 Rodrian @ 03/04/11 09:15 AM
I don't get how Jon Lester never get's the rating he deserves. I allways thought it's because the ratings conclude stats from the last three years but after his last 3 season there is no way he still isn't one of the three best Redsox players. Other than that it looks all right, can't wait to play the game and kill the yankees

# 30 Trevytrev11 @ 03/04/11 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
They can not make the contacts close. It is a legal issue with the license. So as much as everyone would like to think they can, they can not.
I've read this several times and definitely believe this is true.

However, it seems silly that this confines to some sort of legal issue, when anyone can go on to any one of several websites and figure out any players salary (I'm not saying it's a silly excuse, just a silly law since the info is so publicly available).

I'm not sure what the true rules are and how tight they are held to them, but it seems like the could scale everything by 75% or 50% of real life, but maybe that is too obvious. At minimum, it would be nice to have them at least some what comparale from player to player (If A-Rod makes more than Sabathia in real life, then he should make more than Sabathia in the game).

With all of that being said, I do have a few questions regarding how some of these things are handled.

1) Looking at the Yankee's salaries, I can see that in total, the are likely a lot lower than they real life Yankee's. With that being said, do the Yankee's have a lower budget to match? Or do they still have a $200M+ budget which would give them an even bigger budget than they really have.

2) Are free agent contracts comparable to current contracts? If Cano is making $6.0M, is he going to become a free agent and turn around and ask for $20.0M, which is way more than A-Rod, Tex and Sabathia? Or is it fair to assume that those are going to be pretty much max contracts.

(Note, I see Pujols is making $16.8M, which I imagine is tops).

3) I guess the main question is whether teams have realistic budgets given the varying salaries and with the lower than real-life salaries, do the guidelines kind of go down as well.

I understand that they can't match the real life salaries, but it'd be cool if they could some how just scale them back to a certain factor to keep things a little more realisitic...The $13.3 that A-Rod is making isn't probably going to handicap the Yankee's in years 5, 6 and 7 like they would in real life.

# 31 maddguuns @ 03/04/11 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
But they CAN make them proportional. If ARod makes X% more than Jeter, and Jeter makes X% more than Gardner; then that proportionality should be represented.

# 32 pay26 @ 03/04/11 10:46 AM
Alfredo Aceves is not on the list of red sox?

# 33 hysteria499 @ 03/04/11 11:26 AM
Vlad hadn't signed with the o's yet when they made the roster for the game. but when you get the game and do the roster upload from connect he will probably be on the team.

# 34 sink4ever @ 03/04/11 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddguuns
But they CAN make them proportional. If ARod makes X% more than Jeter, and Jeter makes X% more than Gardner; then that proportionality should be represented.
You actually don't know that (unless of course you've read the legal documents that prohibit SCEA from putting in the correct salaries). Heck, EA was facing some issues with their college football game because the players in the game were approximations of real players (even though they weren't named). I imagine that to stay safe SCEA needs to make sure that the salaries in the game can't be too obviously tied to the real salaries.

# 35 maddguuns @ 03/04/11 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sink4ever
You actually don't know that (unless of course you've read the legal documents that prohibit SCEA from putting in the correct salaries). Heck, EA was facing some issues with their college football game because the players in the game were approximations of real players (even though they weren't named). I imagine that to stay safe SCEA needs to make sure that the salaries in the game can't be too obviously tied to the real salaries.
Fortunately I do know that SCEA can do this. After working for three different professional organizations in both marketing and legal, and studying many court cases, I can say, with 100% certainty, that proportional salaries can be done (unless there is some programming or design reason hindering it).

The issue here is whether or not a person's contracted salary is an individually identifiable characteristic. There are quite a few cases where the interpretation is that salary is not.

But, on a bigger level, use of a likeness in a creative work is protected under the first amendment, which is why it is entirely legal for you, me, or anyone to write a biography on any other person so sell for profit; their permission is not required. That's why journalists can write articles about athletes.

In this case, all that needs to be done is for SCEA to find a way for salaries to be based on more than just overall rating. Which it seems they don't.

# 36 sink4ever @ 03/04/11 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddguuns
Fortunately I do know that SCEA can do this. After working for three different professional organizations in both marketing and legal, and studying many court cases, I can say, with 100% certainty, that proportional salaries can be done (unless there is some programming or design reason hindering it).

The issue here is whether or not a person's contracted salary is an individually identifiable characteristic. There are quite a few cases where the interpretation is that salary is not.

But, on a bigger level, use of a likeness in a creative work is protected under the first amendment, which is why it is entirely legal for you, me, or anyone to write a biography on any other person so sell for profit; their permission is not required. That's why journalists can write articles about athletes.

In this case, all that needs to be done is for SCEA to find a way for salaries to be based on more than just overall rating. Which it seems they don't.
You may certainly be right, I'm sure you know a lot more about the subject matter than I do. It's probably useless for me to theorize as to the exact reason SCEA can't create "close" salaries. I do wonder about the bolded part, though. Obviously SCEA can have the likeness of a player in regards to their face, name, etc. The big exception is salary.

Oh well, enough of this thread getting off track. I'll probably release and re-sign various Yankees and big name players before starting my franchise in order to get at least get the years close.

# 37 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/04/11 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPitcher
What part of my comment suggested I was worried the sky was falling?
After reading other peoples comments here, I believe it IS possible for them to use their contracts...if they can use their NAMES..stances..tattoos...etc..they SHOULD be able to use their contracts...If you are looking for "great game play" well then nothing beats "realism"
If they could do it, don't you think they would?

I was at the CE, we were told they were not allowed to have contracts close due to the licensing agreement.

Case closed. Really!

# 38 sportsnut1124 @ 03/06/11 06:22 PM
hey new guy here, I feel really stupid im opening the page up where are all the ratings man if someone could help that would be awesome. going to get the show tuesday first baseball game im going to get in years can't wait

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.