Home
Madden 12 News Post

Peyton Hillis is your Madden NFL 12 cover athlete.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 jWILL253 @ 04/27/11 06:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, now. I love Vick. He's an amazing player, has a great redemption story, and I voted for him. And, congrats to Hillis. But... the whole match-up was kinda fishy to begin with.

Flag on the play...

# 102 roadman @ 04/27/11 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsReality
I don't know how people say the cover athlete has little to no effect on sales.

Jordan is on the cover of NBA 2k11 and it's the highest selling sports title in the U.S. for more months than Madden has this year. Possibly selling more than Madden 11 overall for the year. Yeah, I know NBA 2K11 was great inside the cover but Jordan has an unbreakable following driven by nostalgia and the fact he is the GOAT.

Also, someone mentioned the cover with Vick during 2004 was one of the top 3 selling Maddens and you cannot deny Vick had a big following back then... he was a highlight machine.
Ray Lewis sold more copies than Vick's cover. Ray Lewis was closer to being outlawed by the NFL and a member of society than Vick was back then.

Cover athletes still make a major impact on the sales of the game or is it more branding and what's in side the disk?

There is no proven theory either way.

# 103 kingkilla56 @ 04/27/11 06:20 PM
In retrospect, im glad a QB didnt win. Im just waiting for my Joe Thomas cover. OLINE STAND UP!

# 104 EL_GABE @ 04/27/11 06:20 PM
What madden year was the best selling?

# 105 Dog @ 04/27/11 06:21 PM

I am so upset by this and it will affect my decision on buying Madden this year!!!

# 106 EL_GABE @ 04/27/11 06:23 PM
If they made franshise great I will buy the game no matter who. Is on the cover.. Even if the COMISH was on the cover I would get it

# 107 kingkilla56 @ 04/27/11 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNes12

I am so upset by this and it will affect my decision on buying Madden this year!!!

# 108 canes21 @ 04/27/11 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
Good !!!!!!!!!!!
How is that good? The curse usually brings about change that wasn't there. Mostly injuries that make players have bad seasons they usually don't have. So Vick being on the cover probably would have brought the Eagles a Superbowl Trophy.

# 109 LorenzoDC @ 04/27/11 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
LOL YES !!! Harpo Marx Reference! Love it! Sadly his name is fading from pop culture, in 10 more years nobody will know who that is. Sort of like Jimmy Durante
Ha cha cha cha 2 u.

# 110 Dblock1111 @ 04/27/11 06:36 PM
just a bad look for madden, first year the someone with zero star-power outside of the home fans will be on the cover....smh

# 111 Colts18 @ 04/27/11 06:37 PM
So does that mean we should expect the running game to be overpowering this year?

# 112 berad88 @ 04/27/11 06:40 PM
If you did not know who Peyton Hillis is you need to watch more football.
Just shows that not all football gamers are actual football fans.

# 113 kingkilla56 @ 04/27/11 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
If you did not know who Peyton Hillis is you need to watch more football.
Just shows that not all football gamers are actual football fans.
Nothing wrong with that at all. And being a fan of NFL is not contingent on knowing any particular player.

EDIT: lol i put a hazard thingy on the thread box by accident. woops lol

# 114 canes21 @ 04/27/11 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Just 3 things to say here...

If the cover athlete didn't matter, there wouldn't be 222 people on these forums right now(there has been under 100 99% of the time all week).
People are here because info is being released all week long for both of EA's football games and a good number of people knew today was the unveiling of the cover athlete.
If the cover athlete did't matter, then NBA 2k12 wouldn't have sold what it did. Just look what a face like Jordan did for 2k.
Any time you put one of the best players of all time on the cover, you probably will get a slight boost in sales, but NBA 2k11 was hands down the best sports game this generation of consoles in my opinion and that is probably why it sold so well.
I am happy for Hillis. I think he deserved it as much as anyone.
Yes, Hillis was very deserving of this and I am very happy he got it.
Bold parts.

# 115 iCV @ 04/27/11 06:45 PM
i for 1 am glad that hillis won, i voted for him since the get go.

But to everybody saying that this was bad for EA because the cover matters alot it, does not.

people by madden because its the only pro football game out. It's been lousy for a while and people are still buying it just because.

And stop brnging up 2k11 and the Jordan cover. It sold great because it is an amazing game, possibly the best of the year, and because again it was the only basketball game period.

# 116 kingkilla56 @ 04/27/11 06:46 PM
The content of a game cover does matter. Just saying.

Not taking a stab at Hillis but overall the cover content does matter across the board for ALL things.

# 117 FroznYogurt @ 04/27/11 06:48 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

# 118 berad88 @ 04/27/11 06:53 PM
Vick already had a cover. EA was begging for controversy just by having him in the voting. Controversy sells all the time. I am sure EA knew what they were doing from the beginning.

When I say sells I mean it gets people talking. The best way to promote something is to get people talking.

# 119 ThisIsReality @ 04/27/11 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCV
And stop bringing up 2k11 and the Jordan cover. It sold great because it is an amazing game, possibly the best of the year, and because again it was the only basketball game period.
I'm not denying that because it's the only game I'm playing consistently. But I live in Florida and I know a good amount of people who bought NCAA 11 only because Tebow was on the cover. Those type of people are out there.

# 120 roadman @ 04/27/11 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
The content of a game cover does matter. Just saying.

Not taking a stab at Hillis but overall the cover content does matter across the board for ALL things.
I don't buy this at all.

I've never bought a video game because of the cover art.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.