Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

The second Title Update for Fight Night Champion has been released and is currently available for download on both PlayStation 3 and XBOX 360.

In case you missed it earlier, details for Title Update #2 can be found here.

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 61 EarvGotti @ 06/29/11 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamtino
Man am i glad i never bought this game...

I really want to know what was going through these guys heads when they came up with this ridiculous idea to penalize you for disengaging...

They really don't understand the sport at all...

You dont understand "online". In a real boxing match, a fighter would never stay 5ft away from their opponent and only come in to land 2 jabs then stay back out forever. However, this is a video game so people online can do this.

If they didnt penalize someone for constantly moving backwards and never engaging, no one would ever fight. I've been playing this game before this patch and trust me it was horrendous. Imagine standing in the middle of the ring waiting for your opponent to engage with you and he lays on the ropes for the entire round and does not come forward AT ALL.

YES, that was happening in this game before that patch. Now the patch forces you to fight instead of running away. It's more of a way to counter the videogameness(i know thats not a word but w/e) of Fight Night Champion.

Dont listen to these guys. In no way does the patch FORCE you to COME FORWARD, but it does force you to FIGHT. I fight on the outside, pick my shots, box clean, get in and out, and I have been enjoying picking a part my opponents since the patch dropped. Careless punching will result in more stamina loss.....I just dont get how you guys can call yourselves boxing fans and fail to see the beautiful mental game this patch brings to FNC.

# 62 Oraeon1224 @ 06/29/11 01:18 AM
After several more matches I think the game is remarkably better. I am mixing my punching and getting combos and easily taking guys with 90's vs my 84 boxer. I noted that I used to throw about 70-80 punches a round which isn't terribly realistic. Now I have to be much more conservative, and the game looks much more real in the few fights I have faced a decent opponent.

1) Body hooks: Really not that big a deal. If you watch real boxing on showtime this seems to be one of the most frequent punches thrown anyway right behind jab. Just like in real boxing cover up and lean forward. I let them land a few blocked punches then lay in with the uppercuts to the head or hooks to the head (3 knockouts this way already, don't power them initially or they are too slow). Thanks to less punch offsetting it works great now.

2) Runners: Still effective with the power straight thrown in and going through blocks. However, if you are patient and dont try to throw many punches yourself their stamina will wear down by round 5. Just try giving jabs and block anything they send.

3) Smothering boxers: If the defender doesn't have a good jab and goes back instead of circling he should be smothered. If you couldn't smother in real boxing there wouldn't be so many inside fights. I love it now. I have a mixed bag of punches. I can wear them down early on the outside and then smother them late. Unless they can jab cross or mix it up they usually go down if they try to run. I think too many people have become dependent on outside boxing with jab/cross scenarios. Now is the time to work on having an inside game and outside game.

Try adjusting and fighting on the inside and outside (don't just have one skill set) and lower your punch output to around 60 per round avg (maybe 70 first few rounds and 50 in later rounds).

# 63 NYG_Meth @ 06/29/11 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
You dont understand "online". In a real boxing match, a fighter would never stay 5ft away from their opponent and only come in to land 2 jabs then stay back out forever. However, this is a video game so people online can do this.

If they didnt penalize someone for constantly moving backwards and never engaging, no one would ever fight. I've been playing this game before this patch and trust me it was horrendous. Imagine standing in the middle of the ring waiting for your opponent to engage with you and he lays on the ropes for the entire round and does not come forward AT ALL.

YES, that was happening in this game before that patch. Now the patch forces you to fight instead of running away. It's more of a way to counter the videogameness(i know thats not a word but w/e) of Fight Night Champion.

Dont listen to these guys. In no way does the patch FORCE you to COME FORWARD, but it does force you to FIGHT. I fight on the outside, pick my shots, box clean, get in and out, and I have been enjoying picking a part my opponents since the patch drops. Careless punching will result in more stamina loss.....I just dont get how you guys can call yourselves boxing fans and fail to see the beautiful mental game this patch brings to FNC.
You're missing the point worse than Shaq at the free-throw line.

# 64 Oraeon1224 @ 06/29/11 01:21 AM
"If they didnt penalize someone for constantly moving backwards and never engaging, no one would ever fight. I've been playing this game before this patch and trust me it was horrendous. Imagine standing in the middle of the ring waiting for your opponent to engage with you and he lays on the ropes for the entire round and does not come forward AT ALL."

I totally agree with that sentiment. Of course the real fix isn't so much stamina drain (though I agree it is more exhausting to move backwards than forwards in boxing), it is better judging. If you lay on the ropes and never engage you should automatically lose any given round. In fact unless you are landing a substantially high percentage of shots while retreating you should lose any round in which you primarily retreat. That is real boxing--judges tanking you because of cowardice.

# 65 NYG_Meth @ 06/29/11 01:30 AM
I can't tolerate this nonsense anymore. Here's a brilliant idea: instead of screwing up the balance of the entire game, why not--- and I'm just freestyling here--- I dunno... TONE DOWN THE SPEED OF RETREATING BOXERS!

It's an absurd and foreign notion, I know, but it MIGHT just work...

Here's the reality, kids. People are jerks in the ring in real life too! People run! In REAL life, when that happens, you're forced to adjust YOURSELF. Try cutting the ring off instead of chasing after them for 10 rounds. It's a pretty popular strategy.

Tone down the retreat speed and all of this effing nonsense could have been avoided.

Edit: Listen, I understand what you guys are saying. I do. What I'm trying to stress is bigger than this one issue we're quibbling over. The fact of the matter is that instead of being provided with options, we're being strong-armed into doing it THIS way or THAT way. When has that ever worked in ANY situation, regardless of context?

# 66 NYG_Meth @ 06/29/11 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
"If they didnt penalize someone for constantly moving backwards and never engaging, no one would ever fight. I've been playing this game before this patch and trust me it was horrendous. Imagine standing in the middle of the ring waiting for your opponent to engage with you and he lays on the ropes for the entire round and does not come forward AT ALL."

I totally agree with that sentiment. Of course the real fix isn't so much stamina drain (though I agree it is more exhausting to move backwards than forwards in boxing), it is better judging. If you lay on the ropes and never engage you should automatically lose any given round. In fact unless you are landing a substantially high percentage of shots while retreating you should lose any round in which you primarily retreat. That is real boxing--judges tanking you because of cowardice.
That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. It's a boxing videogame. For the most part, people buy it because they want to punch other people in the face. You're talking about a very small percentage of douchebags.

I could just as easily pose this argument to you, and it makes just as much sense:

"If people weren't penalized for raping dogs, EVERYONE would be raping dogs!"

# 67 EarvGotti @ 06/29/11 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG_Meth
I can't tolerate this nonsense anymore. Here's a brilliant idea: instead of screwing up the balance of the entire game, why not--- and I'm just freestyling here--- I dunno... TONE DOWN THE SPEED OF RETREATING BOXERS!

It's an absurd and foreign notion, I know, but it MIGHT just work...

Here's the reality, kids. People are jerks in the ring in real life too! People run! In REAL life, when that happens, you're forced to adjust YOURSELF. Try cutting the ring off instead of chasing after them for 10 rounds. It's a pretty popular strategy.

Tone down the retreat speed and all of this effing nonsense could have been avoided.

Edit: Listen, I understand what you guys are saying. I do. What I'm trying to stress is bigger than this one issue we're quibbling over. The fact of the matter is that instead of being provided with options, we're being strong-armed into doing it THIS way or THAT way. When has that ever worked in ANY situation, regardless of context?
I still dont understand your argument. Who says we still dont have options? I was an outside fighter before the patch and i'm still an outside fighter. The patch encourages players to fight realistically and it favors those who do. You are not forced to fight on the inside and still can have success fighting on the outside.

However, the game is much more balanced now because inside fighters can actually compete.

Isn't SIM what everybody cried for? Now that we have it, people are crying against it? If you don't fight properly you get owned....thats what happens in real boxing doesn't it?

If someone holds up their guard the entire fight and doesn't throw punches, they get punished in real life. In real life you HAVE to attack. In the game its the same thing now, you HAVE to attack if you want to win. So your saying the game forces you to actually attack more and you dont like it? Well, that is SIM.

# 68 EarvGotti @ 06/29/11 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG_Meth
That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. It's a boxing videogame. For the most part, people buy it because they want to punch other people in the face. You're talking about a very small percentage of douchebags.

I could just as easily pose this argument to you, and it makes just as much sense:

"If people weren't penalized for raping dogs, EVERYONE would be raping dogs!"
It wasn't meant to be literal. Of course not EVERYONE is gonna fight like that, but a LARGE percentage of online players do. You know why? They fought someone who beat them implementing that ridiculous strategy and said "Hey this must be the best way to win fights", So they adopt it.

Online is all about winning, especially in 1v1 games like Fight Night.

# 69 Lakers 24 7 @ 06/29/11 02:22 AM
What would be a huge help and much appreciated - is if any of you guys who enjoy the patch, could please post a video of the online gameplay. I'm, and I'm sure others as well, are very interested in seeing how it plays now.

# 70 Vast @ 06/29/11 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
After several more matches I think the game is remarkably better. I am mixing my punching and getting combos and easily taking guys with 90's vs my 84 boxer. I noted that I used to throw about 70-80 punches a round which isn't terribly realistic. Now I have to be much more conservative, and the game looks much more real in the few fights I have faced a decent opponent.

1) Body hooks: Really not that big a deal. If you watch real boxing on showtime this seems to be one of the most frequent punches thrown anyway right behind jab. Just like in real boxing cover up and lean forward. I let them land a few blocked punches then lay in with the uppercuts to the head or hooks to the head (3 knockouts this way already, don't power them initially or they are too slow). Thanks to less punch offsetting it works great now.

2) Runners: Still effective with the power straight thrown in and going through blocks. However, if you are patient and dont try to throw many punches yourself their stamina will wear down by round 5. Just try giving jabs and block anything they send.

3) Smothering boxers: If the defender doesn't have a good jab and goes back instead of circling he should be smothered. If you couldn't smother in real boxing there wouldn't be so many inside fights. I love it now. I have a mixed bag of punches. I can wear them down early on the outside and then smother them late. Unless they can jab cross or mix it up they usually go down if they try to run. I think too many people have become dependent on outside boxing with jab/cross scenarios. Now is the time to work on having an inside game and outside game.

Try adjusting and fighting on the inside and outside (don't just have one skill set) and lower your punch output to around 60 per round avg (maybe 70 first few rounds and 50 in later rounds).
I think you may be onto something. I haven't played the game but i've read everyones your posts and it seems that its unanimous that the stamina seems too low, and as a result there are substantial changes to the gameplay when you throw in that retreating reduces stamina.

But missing punches also reduces more stamina than pre-patch.
Now the question is. Do you lose more stamina retreating than you do missing flurries?

Because if missing punches costs you more stamina than retreating, you can still run and stay on the outside and be up on stamina if you make your opponent miss.

Maybe slightly increasing the stamina might fix most of the issues.
Oh **** it i'll go buy the game tomorrow.

# 71 Cynick @ 06/29/11 06:01 AM
I don't have the ability to post a video, but the game plays great.

As usual another thread highjacked by bickering and nit-picking, but the gameplay is great now. Easily, far and away, the best boxing game I have played to date, and I've been playing boxing games since the days of piston punching atari pixel blobs, and this series since it was known simply as Knockout Kings. The only problems in the game right now, that really damage the value of the game are the lack of swelling on all fighters, and the fact that CABs are absolutely immune to physical damage. The devs are listening too much to complaints about online play and missing more important issues.

People have to get over that fact that sports games played online will be cheesed, exploited, and ruined by people who start the game up with only one goal in mind... find the easiest way to win. They don't want to be the best player, they just want to win, and win with the least amount of effort possible. I don't play FNC online, never planned to, and after I found out about buying xp I never thought about it again. The devs are pulling their hair out trying to fix all this online bull, but the fact is... you can't fix people. It's not easy to make something idiot proof, and fun, and make everybody happy all at the same time, but the game is better than any boxing game before it.

FNC beats the hell out of Prize Fighter (what a joke), FNR4 (the best til now), EA MMA (block/parry spam ftw), UFC Undisputed (WWE style cartoon violence anyone?), and any other combat sports game you can come up with. I have my complaints about FNC, but it's without a doubt the best, most realistic (not 100% real but closer than anyone else has gotten), combat sports game out there. I'll even go as far as to say that the fact that it is so close to the real thing is probably the only reason why most people can recognize all of the ways that it isn't real.

Edit: I own, or have owned, all of the games I mentioned here. No bias, just my opinions. They all got my money equally.

# 72 DaveDQ @ 06/29/11 07:48 AM
I have given this game praise when it deserves it. I'm probably too partial towards it to begin with. I also consider what everyone has to say. Yes, the good thing about the patch is it makes you be careful in where you put your energy. And I am willing to give the game more time before I make final conclusions.

My next approach will be to lower punch output even more so I can still move around without too much stamina hit.

# 73 jethrotull @ 06/29/11 07:54 AM
Still glitches in Legacy mode when you import CABs downloaded or created. This is real bad, does anyone have a workaround for this?

# 74 Money99 @ 06/29/11 08:45 AM
How is offline?

# 75 tcrews @ 06/29/11 09:16 AM
You know what the amazing thing is that everyone seems to skip over? When everyone is talking about EA catering to this crowd or pandering to that crowd. Adjusting the game to dissuade body spammers and/or runners from performing their respective "skills" and taking the fun out of the game for people that don't play like a*circles. Be it offline, online, stamina drop not being enough, "forced misses", body spammers, or anything else. EA and apparently everyone else has missed one incredibly obvious thing.

If EA would have made a boxing simulation, and only included things that are in the actual sport of boxing (no perfect block, no counter windows, etc) then this game would've been fine. They would have needed to tweak a few things here and there, but minor things. At the end of the day their only job was to make a boxing simulation. I say boxing simulation because that's what they were going on and on about when info was coming out long before the game dropped. Had they not tried to mix boxing and arcade/fighting games, we would've been fine at this point.

This is only what happens when you try to make a game that pleases the sim crowd and the arcade crowd....you end up pleasing absolutely nobody. You might as well be the popular girl at school that can't say no to anyone because she has no self esteem, so she sleeps with her boyfriends best friend because he asked and she just couldn't say no. EA can't say "no" to the arcade or sim crowd, they try to make everyone like them and make this freak boxing baby thing that everyone loves because it's halfway in between. News Flash, True boxing fans do not want Hadoukens or perfect blocks with freezes and screen flash/seizure lights going off. Arcade fans will never want to learn a true representation of an incredibly deep sport. They want to know the controls, and subsequently the cheapest ways to win, and they'll do that. Giving these two types of people the same game, and not expecting this to happen, is truly idiotic.

That's not to say I love or hate the patch, it's irrelevant to this particular post.

# 76 DaveDQ @ 06/29/11 11:00 AM
I'm going to take a few steps back in my opinion that the patch is overall a bad thing. I understand now what they intended to do with stamina. They are asking you to put the killer instinct on the back burner, take a deep breathe and approach it as a ten round fight.

The tough thing is evading your opponent for the first 3-4 rounds. But, if you can hold off on the punches, throw less than 30 punches a round and make them count, you will be in total control. What I'm doing is placing the jab, one at a time for the first few rounds. Just tapping the guy. I tell myself, "No more than 10 punches a minute."

I fought a guy that used Tyson and came out brawling. With Hollyfield I was able to hold him off and have 3/4 of my stamina in round 7. He was completely gassed by then and I knocked him down with a jab straight combo that literally looked like I touched him and he fell. that's the good news. The bad news is it's tough to evade. I lost to Frost by a guy who just threw jabs and straights and it was just too much for me. I got KO'd in the 3rd, but I think I can work on that and do better.

When you conserve your punches you can then move without concern that you are getting too winded.

# 77 NYG_Meth @ 06/29/11 11:17 AM
Quote:
I still dont understand your argument. Who says we still dont have options? I was an outside fighter before the patch and i'm still an outside fighter. The patch encourages players to fight realistically and it favors those who do. You are not forced to fight on the inside and still can have success fighting on the outside.

However, the game is much more balanced now because inside fighters can actually compete.

Isn't SIM what everybody cried for? Now that we have it, people are crying against it? If you don't fight properly you get owned....thats what happens in real boxing doesn't it?

If someone holds up their guard the entire fight and doesn't throw punches, they get punished in real life. In real life you HAVE to attack. In the game its the same thing now, you HAVE to attack if you want to win. So your saying the game forces you to actually attack more and you dont like it? Well, that is SIM.
Ok bro...

# 78 EarvGotti @ 06/29/11 11:40 AM
I just fought a guy who chased me the entire fight. I'm not a runner at all, but I circled the middle of the ring and used movement. He was a pressure fighter. While using movement I was still able to land the cleaner and more effective punches.

It went to a decision and I won every round except the 9th round. He threw 900 punches, I threw 600 and had a better punch percentage by 3%.

The reason he lost is because he kept throwing in flurries. Every time he attacked he threw about 3-4 punches at a time, and I simply made him miss by moving. He was gassed by the 10th round and I knocked him down.

The key in this game now is to pick your punches. You cant throw the same 3-4 punch flurries you could before the patch. If you miss 2 of those punches, your stamina is gonna disappear in no time.

After throwing 600 punches and fighting on the backfoot for almost the entire fight, I still ended with about 50% stamina. Not bad at all.

# 79 DaveDQ @ 06/29/11 11:48 AM
Quote:

The key in this game now is to pick your punches. You cant throw the same 3-4 punch flurries you could before the patch. If you miss 2 of those punches, your stamina is gonna disappear in no time.
I'd say that's realistic too. What I'm doing now is never letting my stamina drop low. That's a killer. I jab and move for the first few rounds. That keeps me in good condition. after that I start setting up punches and combinations, but I never go in with the intention to throw a 3 punch combo. Not unless my opponent is extremely vulnerable.

Not sure if I'm completely on board but I can say I was off when I said it was terrible.

# 80 NYG_Meth @ 06/29/11 11:54 AM
Quote:
I just fought a guy who chased me the entire fight. I'm not a runner at all, but I circled the middle of the ring and used movement. He was a pressure fighter. While using movement I was still able to land the cleaner and more effective punches.

It went to a decision and I won every round except the 9th round. He threw 900 punches, I threw 600 and had a better punch percentage by 3%.

The reason he lost is because he kept throwing in flurries. Every time he attacked he threw about 3-4 punches at a time, and I simply made him miss by moving. He was gassed by the 10th round and I knocked him down.

After throwing 600 punches and fighting on the backfoot for almost the entire fight, I still ended with about 50% stamina. Not bad at all.
We are all very impressed. What were your respective punch landed percentages?

I just fought Hearns with Cotto. The strategy I always employ in these situations is get inside his range, do work, then get back out and use angles to tag him from the outside. I threw under 600 punches, landed about 60%, but because stamina has been so severely mangled, I ended up dragging like a sloth in the 10th with about 10% stamina left. You must not care all that much how often you're hit. That's the only thing I can think of. I try to consistently keep my opponent around 30-35% connect percentage. It's virtually impossible to do that now because I can't effing move around the ring if I want to.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.