Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Multiple outlets are spilling the beans about NBA 2K12's newest mode: NBA's Greatest. The mode seems to be an extension of The Jordan Challenge mode that was available in NBA 2K11.

This time around Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Julius Erving, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and 10 other unannounced all-time greats will be featured in this new mode.

At this time, the unannounced players are not the only thing shrouded in mystery here. It's unclear how many different scenarios or teams will even be included in this mode. This is being intentionally done so fans debate who they think should be included, according to 2K Sports.

The folks at 2K Sports want to go even further when it comes to re-creating moments in the NBA's Greatest mode by mimicking broadcasts from the '80s and even '60s. This means different camera angles, replay styles or even black and white video in order to bring people into the historical aspects of these games.

The NBA's Greatest mode seems like a really smart one when considering the ongoing NBA lockout, as well as the success of The Jordan Challenge mode last year.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Da_Czar @ 08/03/11 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Just wanted to say, this is awesome. Dr. J's shoes, striped socks, The Spectrum. . .incredible. And the cool news is two-fold. One, it's awesome to see the '94 Rockets represented (Hakeem Olajuwon, Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell and Otis Thorpe all spotted, as others have mentioned). And second, it's cool to see 2K didn't just leave the 2K11 classic rosters as they were. For instance, I saw a real Kevin Duckworth this time around.
GREAT Eye ! They went as far as they could with the classics if someone is not in it is not a lack of effort why there not in !

# 142 ifriedrice @ 08/03/11 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
GREAT Eye ! They went as far as they could with the classics if someone is not in it is not a lack of effort why there not in !
Czar, can you indulge us? Have you played it?

# 143 Da_Czar @ 08/03/11 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifriedrice
Czar, can you indulge us? Have you played it?
Of course I have lol... But I am on a tight leash. For now, I'm just trying to help the family keep perspective and not get too crazy ( you know how we get ) and not get in trouble at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 144 sheredia @ 08/03/11 07:50 PM
kudos to 2k for topping last year's game....i didn't think they had it in them. 2k12's challenge tops last year's (and i LOVE jordan). why can't other sports games (madden) be this innovative? i wasn't planning on getting 2k12, but now i HAVE to....also, it looks like they actually listened to fan's suggestions about magic and bird. now if they could just do a "dream team" edition (with past olympic teams), that would be remarkable....

# 145 nba2k23 @ 08/03/11 07:52 PM
1. 64-65 Celtics (Bill Russell,John Havlicek,Sam Jones)
2. 69-70 Knicks (Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Dave Debusschere)
3. 71-71 Lakers (Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor)
4. 76-77 Jazz (Pete Maravich) "2k could use the 68 point game Pete had against the knicks"
5. 82-83 76ers (Julius Erving, Moses Malone)
6. 85-86 Celtics ( Bird, Mchale, Parrish)
7. 86-87 Lakers (Kareem, Magic, Worthy)
8. 88-89 Pistons (Isaiah Thomas, Dumars, Rodman)
9. 91-92 Bulls (Jordan, Pippen, Grant)
10. 92-93 Suns (Barkley, Majerle, Kevin Johnson)
11. 94 Pacers (Reggie Miller)
12. 94-95 Rockets (Hakeem Olajuwan)
13. 94-95 Magic (Shaq, Penny Hardaway)
14. 95-96 Bulls (Jordan, Pippen, Rodman)
15. 97-98 Jazz (Stockton, Malone)

# 146 Ricky Rowe Zay @ 08/03/11 08:00 PM
So I'm guessing the teams are:

1996 Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan
1986 Boston Celtics - Larry Bird
1987 Los Angeles Lakers - Magic Johnson & old Kareem
1983 Philadelphia 76ers - Dr.J
1994 Houston Rockets - Hakeem Olajuwon
1989 Detroit Pistons - Isiah Thomas
1992 Portland Trail Blazers - Clyde Drexler
1977 Portland Trail Blazers - Bill Walton
1965 Boston Celtics - Bill Russell
1972 Los Angeles Lakers - Jerry West
1967 Philadelphia 76ers - Wilt Chamberlain
1970 New York Knicks - Willis Reed

Just a hunch based on the mentions of their being Black/White games from the 60's, & games from the 70's.

Hopefully the last 3 teams are the 1993 Phoenix Suns, 1994 Orlando Magic, & the 2011 Miami Heat.

# 147 SouthBeach @ 08/03/11 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nba2k23
1. 64-65 Celtics (Bill Russell,John Havlicek,Sam Jones)
2. 69-70 Knicks (Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Dave Debusschere)
3. 71-71 Lakers (Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor)
4. 76-77 Jazz (Pete Maravich) "2k could use the 68 point game Pete had against the knicks"
5. 82-83 76ers (Julius Erving, Moses Malone)
6. 85-86 Celtics ( Bird, Mchale, Parrish)
7. 86-87 Lakers (Kareem, Magic, Worthy)
8. 88-89 Pistons (Isaiah Thomas, Dumars, Rodman)
9. 91-92 Bulls (Jordan, Pippen, Grant)
10. 92-93 Suns (Barkley, Majerle, Kevin Johnson)
11. 94 Pacers (Reggie Miller)
12. 94-95 Rockets (Hakeem Olajuwan)
13. 94-95 Magic (Shaq, Penny Hardaway)
14. 95-96 Bulls (Jordan, Pippen, Rodman)
15. 97-98 Jazz (Stockton, Malone)
Nice list! If I didn't know any better, I'd think this was official.

# 148 scatman @ 08/03/11 08:09 PM
This is even better than last year. During a typical 2K year for me, I'll focus heavy on completing like 3 Association seasons, throw in a my player and that'll happen over the course of regular NBA season. During the actual NBA off season like right now, I use to recreate those classic teams...then 2K11 gave us MJ...and now 2K12 will give us more. I can't believe 2K for me has become a game that I can play all year long. I have a couple wishes (let's say 5) that I hope end up in this game:
1. Wilts 100 point game
2. Sir Charles finally
3. A Reggie Miller sighting
4. A Shaq and Penny team
5. Classic shoes, as many as the disc can hold. I seriously want to be overwhelmed with em, the more options, they better.

# 149 Boge @ 08/03/11 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23
So, why post in this thread which is celebrating all these classic players/teams? And 2K is still including current players in the game. Why do some here act like 2K is taking out Lebron, Wade and Kobe?
If they took those three players out, I'd be more excited to play the game, especially James. He's a cheater when I play against him. I have video proof of him shooting the ball through my hand again and again. That's not the way to create a star in the game.

# 150 RedSceptile @ 08/03/11 08:12 PM
Damn it 2k you just made me drool all over my phone. You bastards...

# 151 DJ @ 08/03/11 08:31 PM
Quote:
Of course I have lol... But I am on a tight leash for just trying to help the family keep perspective and not get too crazy ( you know how we get ) and not get in trouble at the same time.

There had better be Czarisodes in our future.

# 152 jd@os @ 08/03/11 08:45 PM
My apologies, but I did not read every page of this thread (not being sarcastic). I woke up, then read pages 1-10 so sorry if this has been addressed...

"the classic teams can be unlocked and played in game against contemporary lineups"

I'm not complaining because all this is great news; I just wish we didn't have to unlock these teams that most of us are dying to have. For example, I'm a huge Jordan fan and I see myself exclusively playing with historic Bulls teams; I hope I don't have to play, let's say, historic 76ers vs historic Lakers to unlock those teams for regular exhibition play. I really hope no one takes this as a negative complaint because I'm hyped for this game; I just don't want to unlock things when I pay a lot of money for the game. I had the old, fat PS3 and I know it died on me due to playing all those minutes to unlock all the Jordans in 2K11.

This game is going to be great, and I hope 2K does NOT include historic teams in the demo just like they didn't in 2K11; that will make waiting for the classic teams even sweeter. I have no desire to play NCAA Football 12 any more after this news; I just want to go back to sleep and wake up October 4th.

# 153 green94 @ 08/03/11 08:45 PM
Full classic rosters - wow.

# 154 cb1115 @ 08/03/11 08:59 PM
Including the '94 Rockets is awesome. Now all we need is the '95 Magic.

# 155 coolcras7 @ 08/03/11 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
My apologies, but I did not read every page of this thread (not being sarcastic). I woke up, then read pages 1-10 so sorry if this has been addressed...

"the classic teams can be unlocked and played in game against contemporary lineups"

I'm not complaining because all this is great news; I just wish we didn't have to unlock these teams that most of us are dying to have. For example, I'm a huge Jordan fan and I see myself exclusively playing with historic Bulls teams; I hope I don't have to play, let's say, historic 76ers vs historic Lakers to unlock those teams for regular exhibition play. I really hope no one takes this as a negative complaint because I'm hyped for this game; I just don't want to unlock things when I pay a lot of money for the game. I had the old, fat PS3 and I know it died on me due to playing all those minutes to unlock all the Jordans in 2K11.

This game is going to be great, and I hope 2K does NOT include historic teams in the demo just like they didn't in 2K11; that will make waiting for the classic teams even sweeter. I have no desire to play NCAA Football 12 any more after this news; I just want to go back to sleep and wake up October 4th.
More than likely they will release a code that will unlock every team.

# 156 24 @ 08/03/11 09:16 PM
I would love to see the old laker teams with Elgin and Jerry West

# 157 Ike04 @ 08/03/11 10:01 PM
this sounds great. cant wait to try out kareem

# 158 Laimbeer @ 08/03/11 10:48 PM
I hope the Pistons are either 89' or 88' that way we have the true bad boys with Laimbeer and Mahorn. Mc'filthy needs Mc'nasty!

# 159 Beluba @ 08/03/11 10:55 PM
Quote:
Of course I have lol... But I am on a tight leash. For now, I'm just trying to help the family keep perspective and not get too crazy ( you know how we get ) and not get in trouble at the same time.

I have my eye on you.

# 160 sportjames23 @ 08/03/11 10:55 PM
^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.