Home
NHL 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

According to the NHL 12 Facebook page, this is the "BIG" announcement.

Quote:
In the 1st NHL 12 producer video we promised a big announcement...well here it is: 'They're coming!'

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 plaidchuck @ 08/09/11 08:15 PM
As it is now I'm at least guessing that it will be a little more than just a few classic player free agents as anybody with a petrpuck spreadsheet can make a few CAPS in about 15 minutes. Maybe you can play your classic player through his career in BAP, although this would be pretty worthless unless they recreated each of the eras and leagues the player played in (which is highly doubtful).

In short, the only way this could be an engaging and fun thing would be if they had classic teams for every single team in the league or if they had some kind of classic season or historic moments game mode. I kind of doubt the NHL franchise has the budget to do all of that in one development cycle though.

# 62 Cycloniac @ 08/10/11 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
It's one thing for blasting EA for this and that, what I like is to have some explanations and that's what DeconstruKt did.

I understand what you say and it's obvious that the "presentation style" is lacking from EA games. Just a comparison of what 2K did with NBA 2K11 versus what we have for NCAA 12 or NHL 11 is pretty obvious.

Most of what you ask have been mentionned over the years and I guess that for EA, it's not a priority. They seemed to touch some of the presentation this year, but for guys like you, and versus 2K, I guess it will fall short.
The only EA game I see stiving presentation wise seems to be Madden right now (surprisingly). I've bought the NHL series on a consistant basis since the birth of NHL games on the next-gen consoles in 07. Comparing the improvements they've made to now: NHL 07 = skill stick (ground breaking feature that's now a staple in hockey games. NHL 08 = skill stick 2.0, not much other improvments besides graphics and AI learning. NHL 09 = defensive skill stick, Be A Pro and EASHL. Ever since the success of NHL 09, there have been very little improvements. And the sad thing is, presentation has been absoluetly neglected. In my mind, EA's been resting on their laurels and this big announcement dissapointed me, but I'll wait until they release a blog about it before I judge.

# 63 JezFranco @ 08/10/11 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Ever since the success of NHL 09, there have been very little improvements. And the sad thing is, presentation has been absoluetly neglected. In my mind, EA's been resting on their laurels and this big announcement dissapointed me, but I'll wait until they release a blog about it before I judge.
I dissagree. Unless you are speaking about presentation only.
Sure there's room for improvements (there always is), especially when it comes to BAGM and some modes, as well as presentation in general.
But 10 -> 11 contained a few minor tweaks;
Physics engine
Broken Sticks
Face off overhaul
Hustle
Quick dekes

# 64 Vikes1 @ 08/10/11 12:50 PM
Who knows...maybe this Legends additions will be pretty cool, after we learn the depth of this thing.

But I can't help but to think...I just wish they hadn't hyped this the way they did.

# 65 jyoung @ 08/10/11 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
But 10 -> 11 contained a few minor tweaks;
Physics engine
Broken Sticks
Face off overhaul
Hustle
Quick dekes
Right now, the "physics engine" is just a new hitting engine that's turned the game into a hit-fest. The actual skating physics in the game are still unrealistic and arcadey.

Broken sticks are cool but nothing amazing or game-changing.

The new faceoff system is just a lame rock-paper-scissors minigame. As a full-time center, it's just annoying more than anything.

Hustle button has basically made the speed and acceleration attributes worthless. You can just pour all your attributes into endurance, hustle all game long and ignore putting points into speed/acceleration. Nice gamebreaker there haha.

So yeah, they haven't added much worthwhile to the game since NHL 09.

# 66 jaiman @ 08/10/11 02:50 PM
Boooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring

# 67 kerosene31 @ 08/10/11 03:24 PM
This is why you don't get hyped up about hype.

# 68 adayinthelife @ 08/10/11 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derektown
Lets just say that they had the Montreal Canadians centennial team 2 years running as if they are the only original six team with Stanley Cups. How about sharing the love EA Sports just don't mail it in new dialog on the play by play.
Yes, and I don't know about everyone else, but I played all of 1 game with said team. I just can't see how it would be any different with any other "legends" team.

# 69 Vikes1 @ 08/10/11 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
Yes, and I don't know about everyone else, but I played all of 1 game with said team. I just can't see how it would be any different with any other "legends" team.
Yep...pretty much the same thing for me too.

Something I suppose my son and I will play around with a few times, and that's about it.

# 70 Tide311 @ 08/10/11 06:05 PM
The only thing "Big" about the announcement is that it is a letdown. I play about 95% BeaGM, and I hope they vamp that up. I don't see why there isn't an online dynasty in 2011 yet.

# 71 Therion7 @ 08/11/11 07:24 AM
Just another thing that will pass by a lot of the dedicated fans of realistic, contemporary hockey. You know, the guys who are interested in an accurate playable representation of the state of the NHL in 2011-12.

Legends, Ultimate teams, it just doesn't register for me. Nice, but won't give it more than a quick glance. These are gimmicks IMO.

Top notch AI, better in-game presentation, scores and highlights from around the league, more team intros, accurate modern and legacy jerseys and center ice would be my priority.

# 72 Money99 @ 08/11/11 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tide311
The only thing "Big" about the announcement is that it is a letdown. I play about 95% BeaGM, and I hope they vamp that up. I don't see why there isn't an online dynasty in 2011 yet.
I'm not sure myself. I'm mostly offline too, but I would be all over this mode if it was available.
EA knows how to implement this, but they purposely hold back features so they have something new to hype ever year.
It's smart business, but online Dynasty's are something that should be automatic in every sports game nowadays. It's a no-brainer and EA should have their hands slapped for not making this available by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion7
Just another thing that will pass by a lot of the dedicated fans of realistic, contemporary hockey. You know, the guys who are interested in an accurate playable representation of the state of the NHL in 2011-12.

Legends, Ultimate teams, it just doesn't register for me. Nice, but won't give it more than a quick glance. These are gimmicks IMO.

Top notch AI, better in-game presentation, scores and highlights from around the league, more team intros, accurate modern and legacy jerseys and center ice would be my priority.
YES, YES, YES!
Especially scores and highlights from around the league - this needs to be done for NHL13.
No more excuses EA (or other sports companies as well).
I adored watching intermission highlights in NHL94. And neither myself, or my buddies cared that it was the next shot on net that wins.
It's 2011 for crying out loud. Why isn't this in the game already?

# 73 Azamien @ 08/11/11 09:40 AM
They made a huge mistake with the "it will change the way you play the game" bit in the hype. It led many of us to believe it would be something big involving actual gameplay. In reality, it won't change the way most of us play the game at all.

Landing Gretzky is a big deal, but not what nearly in the way they had hinted at. Thus, an outcry of disappointment.

# 74 FBeaule04 @ 08/11/11 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermakernet08
Oh, it will definitely change the way I play the game. If the gameplay isn't fixed and Be a GM still has major flaws, it will ensure I DON'T play the game at all. If they spent time on this Legends thing and left out the issues that needed to be addressed I will be disappointed.
Just wait until next year, when they come up with things the community really want.

- Applet to send message on facebook between periods of game
- Broken skates blades
- Moving glasses on hits
- Coach moving behind the bench
- AI anticipation reaction to anticipation AI

If it's in the game, it's in the game!

# 75 adchester2829 @ 08/11/11 02:20 PM
Way to go EA, let's just copy NBA 2K12, what a great idea....

# 76 Stormyhog @ 08/12/11 10:46 PM
I would rather have had it done like 2k"s hockey where they had classic teams based on the year. Even though you had to rename the player's and their likeness it was great. Never been a fan of having only a handful of legends as I would never include them on the current rosters when I play. Basically the announcement means very little to me and seems like effort could have been put elsewhere.

# 77 Veni_Vidi_Vici33 @ 08/13/11 01:59 AM
This on is kinda ify for me as well.
It would be cool to play as Gretzky and others, but if they are just going to dominate, i probably won't touch them.

http://www.ea.com/nhl/1/nhl-legends

Now under "Feature Details" it mentions "You can even unlock legend videos – hosted by Wayne Gretzky - and relive some of their greatest moments."
Now does this just means viewing videos of famous plays or are we going to be able to play as Gretzky and score his 1,072nd goal or try for the power play goal that gave him 1,000.

Anyway, hopefully this will be somewhat fun, after playing franchise, GM, and Be a Pro. Who knows we'll only have to wait and see.

# 78 JezFranco @ 08/15/11 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Right now, the "physics engine" is just a new hitting engine that's turned the game into a hit-fest. The actual skating physics in the game are still unrealistic and arcadey.

Broken sticks are cool but nothing amazing or game-changing.

The new faceoff system is just a lame rock-paper-scissors minigame. As a full-time center, it's just annoying more than anything.

Hustle button has basically made the speed and acceleration attributes worthless. You can just pour all your attributes into endurance, hustle all game long and ignore putting points into speed/acceleration. Nice gamebreaker there haha.

So yeah, they haven't added much worthwhile to the game since NHL 09.
The thing is, most of the problems you're describing is actually in favour of something that I hope will be better this year, for your sake. Playing Online.
The hustle, hits and face offs are pure magic offline compared to NHL10.

Now for me, I have none of the problems you're describing... because I play offline. With some tweaked settings, this game works amazing... You hustle because you need to hustle, you do the face off that is best for the situation and the hits with lowered sliders are so good compared with NHL10 that I could probably never go back.

This year, judging by some screen shots, the tuner sets will most probably be separated offline/online which hopefully will make the online tuners focused on fixing cheese & glitch, while the offline tuners focused on pure bugs. In the end, making both game modes better on their own.

# 79 Fiddy @ 08/15/11 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adchester2829
Way to go EA, let's just copy NBA 2K12, what a great idea....
well they didnt copy nba 2k.. bc they dont have game situations like 2k did with Jordan etc.

but IMO it would be great if they did.. say just take, Gretz one year, give us 5 of his greatest games etc.. next year add a guy like Mario and Orr..

keep adding year after year like 2k does and you will have something special..

# 80 mkharsh33 @ 08/15/11 10:39 AM
Who wants to play with Gretzky and put him into today's NHL??? stupid idea...just stupid.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.