Home
News Post

Check out the new MLB 12 The Show screenshots, showing off the new default camera view, as well as a few other tidbits. Can you find them all?

Click here for a higher resolution screenshot.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Russell_SCEA @ 12/30/11 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
Russ since you guys are adding stuff to screens, can you show the Base running ability and speed as a numeric display or at least include it on screen? Just a thought...rather than showing stamina meter why not show approx number of pitches pitcher can throw before in that tired zone(e.g. 70-75)? This still leaves people guessing as to how many pitches the pitcher has left but also tells you about how many pitches the pitcher typically can throw, something most managers know about opposing pitchers going in to games.

It will most likely always be bars, some people like them some people hate them. If you can't tell if a guy is threat to steal a base by those two bars being over 75% full I'm not sure how much more we can help you. (Also at this stage in development we are in polish and bug fixing mode. I keep seeing people asking for more changes but it's not going to happen.)

The game tells you when your pitcher is getting tired via to top drop down ticker and there will be a hash at the 25% energy mark. It's on the user to use the tools available to them to decide on if they should yank their pitcher or not.

# 62 Russell_SCEA @ 12/30/11 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chen_sc
Russell, have you kept the bottom ticker with the out of town scores from last year?

Yeah it's still there you will see it in franchise and season if you have it turned on.

# 63 econoodle @ 12/30/11 07:44 PM
still with the MLB 12 The Show on the score bug?
sigh.

tho i assume that will be gone as the TBP gets added in?

# 64 Russell_SCEA @ 12/30/11 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
still with the MLB 12 The Show on the score bug?
sigh.

tho i assume that will be gone as the TBP gets added in?

What bug are you talking about?

# 65 econoodle @ 12/30/11 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Nope, this is something that only the hard core really wants. In every focus test we have ever done for the game we always hear the game is to hard and there isn't enough info given to the user.
can't you just make it an option?
it looks beat like that, takes you out of it.

# 66 rudyjuly2 @ 12/30/11 07:50 PM
I like the new batting angle. The pitcher definitely looks smaller and more zoomed out. A nice change for what I like. I also like the overall pitcher confidence and fatigue meter.

# 67 Bobhead @ 12/30/11 07:50 PM
Question: With the new scorebar, and thus, a new little icon that shows what base runners are on, I notice that we will no longer have graphic representation of where the runners actually are on the basepaths. Will the "after-the-ball-is-in-play" camera be changed to accommodate this?

For example if a ball is hit into the gap, with the old thing you could see if a runner was close to second base, and if he had a chance to make it to third. The camera was always focused on the ball and the fielder so this little icon thingy was the only feedback we had for controlling our runners. Based on your shot of the 2012 version, this is no longer possible, since the icon doesn't have space between the bases to give you an idea of how far a runner is from a base at any given time.

My question is, what is there this year to help us, and to compensate for this? I hope my question makes sense lol I realize this post is kind of a linguistic mess.

# 68 tnixen @ 12/30/11 07:52 PM
Quote:
What bug are you talking about?

I think he is saying he hates having the "MLB 12 The Show" logo on the scorebar at the top.

# 69 Russell_SCEA @ 12/30/11 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
I think he is saying he hates having the "MLB 12 The Show" logo on the scorebar at the top.
Ha, yeah that's never going to change we have a brand here we are trying to grow.

# 70 Russell_SCEA @ 12/30/11 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Question: With the new scorebar, and thus, a new little icon that shows what base runners are on, I notice that we will no longer have graphic representation of where the runners actually are on the basepaths. Will the "after-the-ball-is-in-play" camera be changed to accommodate this?

For example if a ball is hit into the gap, with the old thing you could see if a runner was close to second base, and if he had a chance to make it to third. The camera was always focused on the ball and the fielder so this little icon thingy was the only feedback we had for controlling our runners. Based on your shot of the 2012 version, this is no longer possible, since the icon doesn't have space between the bases to give you an idea of how far a runner is from a base at any given time.

My question is, what is there this year to help us, and to compensate for this? I hope my question makes sense lol I realize this post is kind of a linguistic mess.

When the ball is in play the score bar disappears and you see will see the osd from previous years that show's the base runners location.

# 71 Eman5805 @ 12/30/11 08:01 PM
Can't wait to see this all in motion. Might just be me being...me, but something I've been paying a lot of attention to is how smooth the new batting and pitching animations are, from how they take practice swings, or what they do when there's a ball or strike at the plate, to whether the pitcher holds his glove up in the air for the catcher to very precisely return throw the ball right into it or they stand there, wait on it, then catch it like any normal human would do.

They've gotten better and better at this each year since MLB 10.

Man, I'm so jacked for some vids right now.

# 72 Galvatron @ 12/30/11 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I like the new batting angle. The pitcher definitely looks smaller and more zoomed out. A nice change for what I like. I also like the overall pitcher confidence and fatigue meter.
Absolutely. This was something that always bothered me about that view, as if the pitcher was right up in my face and it could make batting feel uncomfortable.

Russell, by any chance do we have the option to adjust and customize the batting view more freely, the way we can with pitching? Also can we save more than 4 custom views this year?

# 73 spit_bubble @ 12/30/11 08:04 PM
The new camera angle definitely pushes things back into the background more, and I think that's for the better. When setting up a custom camera in 11 I noticed using the wide view preset, which pushed things furthest back compared to the other views, made it easier to pick up the ball.

# 74 econoodle @ 12/30/11 08:07 PM
Quote:
Ha, yeah that's never going to change we have a brand here we are trying to grow.
booooo! lol

ok u can win me back by giving a sneak peek of one of the overlays.

not trying to be a downer but a purchase depends on presentation.

I did hear someone say they love the baserunner window [unless they meant the scorebug baserunner window], but in the comparison shot it looks practically identical.
i think11's was even smaller.

edit: lighting still looks sweeeeet.

# 75 Bobhead @ 12/30/11 08:09 PM
Quote:
When the ball is in play the score bar disappears and you see will see the osd from previous years that show's the base runners location.
That's great, then. Thanks for the answer.
I trust that since my username is on the lower end of the alphabet that I'll be getting the game before anyone else?

# 76 econoodle @ 12/30/11 08:17 PM
Quote:
The art is new and the functionality is new this year. Last year you had to press L3 to bring up swing analysis now it animates on it's on.
what do u mean by this exactly?

u saying the box on the right stays on screen?

edit: found the answer.

also looking at a screenshot of 09, the scorebug looks exactly like this years outside of the baserunner icons.

I was expecting an ESPN styled one
ah well.

# 77 SoxFan01605 @ 12/30/11 08:35 PM
Quote:
I can get that...I wouldn't think anyone would begrudge SCEA from putting their brand out there, etc...especially given how much the game does so well.

I think my only issue with that (I won't claim to speak for anyone else) is that with a claim of "true broadcast" it seems incongruous to have so much on screen (a separate, but thematically related issue) and then also see "MLB ___ The Show" absolutely everywhere. These are little things that can go a long way in terms of representing an actual broadcast.

I know for you guys brand growth is important, but we see "MLB ___ The Show" on walls, boards, overlays, wipes, menus, etc and we are reminded that everything is brought to us by The Show by Matt in commentary.

Would it be so terrible for brand growth to slap a TSBN (The Show Baseball Network), MLBTS, or some other type of broadcast themed logo in place of it in one spot? I mean, with all the reminders littered across the game, I don't think anyone can possibly forget what they're playing...lol. Plus, you are still representing the brand.

I dunno...it just seems there are spots where such odd stands are taken, is all. I'm not trying to harp or make it into a bigger thing than it is (it's certainly a minor point, really), but the there seems to be inconsistency in message in this regard.

# 78 knich @ 12/30/11 08:56 PM
Quote:
It will most likely always be bars, some people like them some people hate them. If you can't tell if a guy is threat to steal a base by those two bars being over 75% full I'm not sure how much more we can help you. (Also at this stage in development we are in polish and bug fixing mode. I keep seeing people asking for more changes but it's not going to happen.)

The game tells you when your pitcher is getting tired via to top drop down ticker and there will be a hash at the 25% energy mark. It's on the user to use the tools available to them to decide on if they should yank their pitcher or not.
Well let's get this game out then. I see no reason to wait til March. We'll help you identify the bugs.

# 79 Bulls321974 @ 12/30/11 08:59 PM
Hi Russell! Will the Mets and Rockies (finally) have metallic colored batting helmets in next year's game?

# 80 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 12/30/11 09:07 PM
Quote:
Ya we know the 5 million other "MLB The Show" adds and comments throughout the game aren't enough

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.