Home
News Post

These videos are also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB 12 The Show blog. This one features Zone Analog Batting and Pulse Pitching.

Quote:
Zone Analog Batting is a by-product of our original Zone Batting hit mechanic and our most recent Analog Batting feature so we wanted to give users the best of both. From talking to our community, we found that some of our Zone Batting players weren’t using the Analog Batting because they couldn’t choose the zone they wanted to swing at. So, we decided to mix the two features and came up with ZAB (Zone Analog Batting). We went through many prototypes before we ended up with what we think may be the most realistic way to bat, ever, in a baseball game.

Pulse Pitching spawned from our first ever pitching style for The Show, Classic Pitching. We like to keep the “classic” features around since we know there’s still a lot of people out there who use them. Pulse pitching is a more interactive and challenging way to pitch, combining both user skill and pitcher attributes that creates a unique way to deliver a pitch. There are five levels of Pulse Pitching, all the way from Rookie to Legend. The better pitchers will have a smaller pulse ring based on the command they have with that particular pitch. Alternatively, the worse command a pitcher has, the bigger the ring and the harder it is to hit your spots. It’s a really fun way to pitch, you may never go back to what you were using before!

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Foo4Everlong @ 02/04/12 08:12 PM
Another thing that seems to have been paid great detail to attention is the Nike style undershirts! As MLB 11 The Show had very little in the way of player accessories, this year seems to be a big step forward! Batting gloves under mitts, sunglasses on hats, different color arm sleeves, different style helmets, cleats, and batting gloves are all huge additions to the player editor! March 6 can't get here fast enough!

# 82 Blzer @ 02/04/12 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftheavy
Show is a good game but a little too slow for my taste. I am intrigued by using the motion control...but will prob pass this yr. Go lift heavy sons!
Translation: I get my baseball fix via Sportscenter.

Just kidding haha, but I tend to see SCEA's product as something which closely attempts to reflect the sport of baseball when it comes to its pacing, or at the very least you can fine-tune your game that way if you so please. On that same token, it's more than possible to tweak settings for a very fast pace as well. It's just the game with removed aspects, but it still works well.

I think Z.A.B. will be really fun. Nem, I appreciate the clarification on the right stick gestures. The reason why I asked if it was still in there didn't have as much to do with "hit influence," but just more like hit strength in general, like swinging at the ball appropriately on an inside pitch. I know that's what we have the PCI for, though I didn't know if it would be like a two-way thing in a way. After all, MLB 11 never really had any tutorials to explain how the right-stick directions worked either, so I just didn't know if that was still a little more subtle when it came to how much it actually did.

# 83 earp4530 @ 02/04/12 10:04 PM
Anybody notice in the batting video, Tulo is leading off..? Line up logic much? lol

# 84 Kalkano @ 02/04/12 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earp4530
Anybody notice in the batting video, Tulo is leading off..? Line up logic much? lol
*cringe* I didn't until you said that. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume it's just because this video was take quite a while ago. We already know it was before CD, but we don't know how long before CD.

# 85 Lorne_SCEA @ 02/05/12 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrogerdavid
Will minor league players be programmed to automatically wear these new helmets with double ear flaps next year?

I'm assuming that this will not be in this years game.

I love it when the roster editors do this for us, making all the minor leaguers wear the double ear flapped helmets, but its mildly annoying when you call a player up and forget to change their helmet to the single flap.

It's also annoying when you come across generated players that have the one flaps in the minors as well.
All minor leaguers, generated or not, will be wearing the new S100 helmets with double flaps. If you gave your RTTS player another type of helmet, he won't wear it until he reaches the majors.

# 86 JoeRyan33 @ 02/05/12 04:20 AM
Can''t see myself ever using pulse pitching, but the video really shows the new pitching animations and seems to show the improved ball physics. It actually looks like a baseball being thrown in there now and not just a flat white blob. The motions on those pitchers are real nice.

I'll be using the analog hitting. I've never been a fan of the old button control.

# 87 lw22 @ 02/05/12 04:36 AM
Pitching: Always use Classic but will try Pulse Pitching

Batter: Stick with Timing.

# 88 Russell_SCEA @ 02/05/12 04:59 AM
Clarifying a couple of items in the thread.

Yes these videos were made in December and a some of the art most notably the Pulse Pitching art has changed.

Pulse Pitching was designed for the Vita initially as a "casual" mechanic. We felt there was a void in our roster of pitching controls for it. Classic is all ratings based and meter is very input oriented. We wanted to create a mechanic that combined the two. Also as a casual mechanic at heart having an extra button press took away a big part of it's ease of use out of the gate. So we decided to not do it this year and keep it a simple one press for pitch selection and one for your timing.

The comments for Zone Plus Analog are interesting to say the least. I can recall very clearly a very large portion of the base here saying they wanted the ability to control their swing location with analog batting and that they were disappointed they couldn't control it. In addition I remember saying we tried it and it was to hard so we went in another direction. Fast forward to MLB12, we developed this hitting mechanism 100% based on the want from the community and now everyone says it looks to hard. :spla t:

Be careful what you wish for. Also the stride timing as mentioned in the video for ZPA is much more forgiving than it is in pure analog hitting. Also we have added in a stride timing slider this year so you can increase or decrease the timing window for stride contact bonuses and penalties. Thus further breaking down the barrier of entry for the hitting option.

P.S. The great thing about these two new control schemes are like everything else it's an option.

# 89 rudyjuly2 @ 02/05/12 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Also we have added in a stride timing slider this year so you can increase or decrease the timing window for stride contact bonuses and penalties. Thus further breaking down the barrier of entry for the hitting option.
This is nice. Any other new sliders added this year?

# 90 LastActionHero @ 02/05/12 05:45 AM
I'm still happy Russel, definitely gonna use ZPA!

# 91 Russell_SCEA @ 02/05/12 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
This is nice. Any other new sliders added this year?

nope

# 92 nomo17k @ 02/05/12 09:39 AM
Quote:
Pulse Pitching was designed for the Vita initially as a "casual" mechanic. We felt there was a void in our roster of pitching controls for it. Classic is all ratings based and meter is very input oriented. We wanted to create a mechanic that combined the two. Also as a casual mechanic at heart having an extra button press took away a big part of it's ease of use out of the gate. So we decided to not do it this year and keep it a simple one press for pitch selection and one for your timing.
I find controlling effort (vs accuracy) with Classic to be fun strategically. I hope you can get it in with Pulse down the road!!

Quote:
The comments for Zone Plus Analog are interesting to say the least. I can recall very clearly a very large portion of the base here saying they wanted the ability to control their swing location with analog batting and that they were disappointed they couldn't control it. In addition I remember saying we tried it and it was to hard so we went in another direction. Fast forward to MLB12, we developed this hitting mechanism 100% based on the want from the community and now everyone says it looks to hard. :spla t:
I haven't been a zone guy and may never develop good enough reaction to move PCI on fly, but will definitely try ZAB... I've been practicing zone hitting a tiny bit lately, and I'm surprised that I might be able to pull off the PCI movement part. But my timing of hitting button (in 11) severely gets hit... I'm late on everything right now. I think I can improve though... this is from someone who thought (button) Zone hitting is too hard...

I don't know why the current zone guys think Zone Analog is too hard from this video. The only difference from button-based Zone is that you have two timings to get right, but otherwise it's Zone like it's been. If you have been able to move PCI properly and time right with button, you now only need to stride at the right timing (with much lenient window). Just about the only thing I worry about now is whether I can keep holding the controller stable (for accuracy) as I move both sticks.

Quote:
Be careful what you wish for. Also the stride timing as mentioned in the video for ZPA is much more forgiving than it is in pure analog hitting. Also we have added in a stride timing slider this year so you can increase or decrease the timing window for stride contact bonuses and penalties. Thus further breaking down the barrier of entry for the hitting option.
This is a good addition. It's been said the best stride timing is about just before the pitcher releases the pitch, but I don't know if I ever got that right.

# 93 thaSLAB @ 02/05/12 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalkano
*cringe* I didn't until you said that. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume it's just because this video was take quite a while ago. We already know it was before CD, but we don't know how long before CD.
Yeah, just terrible human lineup logic.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 94 42 @ 02/05/12 10:43 AM
Pulse Pitching, FTW!

# 95 Skyboxer @ 02/05/12 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
For pulse?...unfortunately not.(this is one thing I hope they change about it)
It's all ratings driven right now.
I don't know if there is any mechanism in place to factor in pitch count and base runner situation.

M.K.
Knight165
Aaah... Thank Nem and Knight for the clarification. I don't mind the ratings driven formula but hopefully it is added in the future. There are times where you take something "off" or put a little more effort into the pitch just to keep batters from getting you timed.

Either way March 6th can't come soon enough.

# 96 SoxFan01605 @ 02/05/12 02:55 PM
Quote:

P.S. The great thing about these two new control schemes are like everything else it's an option.
Ha! Ain't that the truth.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I was just musing on the fact that it's something I've wanted for awhile and now that's it's essentially in front of me, it scares me...lol...so I fully recognize the irony.

That said, I'm extremely happy (and grateful, for that matter) that it's an option. I'm just also fully aware that it's going to kick my *** (at least for a bit). To me, that's part of what's so great about this series. I can pick up and play certain sports titles after long absences from the series and usually feel right at home regardless. If I take even a small break from The Show, I have to readjust. You guys keep challenging my comfort level each year...and I enjoy every second of it.

Plus, like you said...it's an option. We've got no shortage of them with this game (another win for the series) and along with the challenges, it's nice to know there are multiple ways to play.

# 97 DickDalewood @ 02/05/12 03:58 PM
Will Zone Plus Analog and Pulse Pitching be the out of box defaults?

# 98 nemesis04 @ 02/05/12 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I believe pulse was the default when we played but I forgot what the hitting was set to. I would be surprised if that was the default hitting option. A little daunting for someone jumping in.

# 99 Russell_SCEA @ 02/05/12 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood

It depends on what setting you choose when the game first loads, beginner, intermediate, or experienced.

# 100 DickDalewood @ 02/05/12 05:04 PM
Quote:
It depends on what setting you choose when the game first loads, beginner, intermediate, or experienced.
Are you at liberty to say what each of those settings will entail? For example, will "experienced" be analog fielding, pulse pitching, and zone plus analog?

If you can't disclose that information yet I understand, but either way thank you as always

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.