Home
News Post

Total immersion is all gamers want these days. They want accurate stats, seedings and signings. Well, what better way to experience this total immersion in an MLB game than completing a 162-game season? It's one feat that many, even our staff writers, struggle with.

So staff writers, have you ever finished a 162-game season?

Read More - OS Roundtable: Have you Ever Completed a 162 Game Season?

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 thaSLAB @ 03/29/12 11:47 AM
I have, the last 2 years. Actually, I played at least a year and a half in both MLB 10 & 11... playing 90% of the games (I ended up simming a handful of games to keep pace with the real MLB schedule.

Plan on doing it again this year. I may sim a little more, just to go deeper into the franchise.

# 62 wstewart11 @ 03/29/12 12:44 PM
Never, ever finished a 162 game season; my wife makes fun of me for being very optimistic in my continued attempts every year. Closest I've gotten is to game 109...

# 63 nomo17k @ 03/29/12 12:58 PM
With Vita it will be much likely to complete a 162 game season. (Though I did complete a season in 11, playing every game... it will be undoubtedly tough depending on one's lifestyle.)

I still prefer to play on PS3, but for franchise and doing just managing and GM stuff, I would actually love to run every single game (of my team) through the gameplay engine and not sim at all. Vita makes it easy to just run games without much user interventions.

I like the feeling of every pitch counting toward the results, so when I sign a starter with that effective curveball, he's going to use it to affect the results.

# 64 CubFan23 @ 03/29/12 02:56 PM
The most I have ever played was 2-1/2 seasons in franchise mode all games, every inning in The Show 09. It was my first year having the show.

# 65 CMR_06 @ 03/29/12 06:02 PM
Last year I did manage to complete the elusive accomplishment of completing an entire 162 game season as my beloved Chicago Cubs, playing through an entire season and hoisting the World Series trophy after a grind out 7 game series win over the Red Sox was one of my greatest virtual accomplishments

# 66 BCDX97 @ 03/29/12 06:38 PM
No way. And I hate when games don't let you shorten the season. I've completed 30 game seasons, something like that. But 162 is just too many.

# 67 artdog5110 @ 03/29/12 11:04 PM
I completed three seasons on world series '95 for the sega genesis. Won three world series with heavily rejiggered Yankee teams. beat Reds once and astros twice. Also finished second tear of Vr baseball with a two team season reds and Yanks. First season of w.s '95 was reds and yanks to. Came close on a couple of high heat and the second year the show was on Ps3. Its just such a huge time commitment im not sure I'll ever be able to do it again.

# 68 h4mbon3s @ 03/29/12 11:47 PM
i don't think i could ever complete a 162 game season. especially if i was out of the playoff race, it just seems like it would be so much more heart breaking lol

# 69 Polo Bandit @ 03/30/12 01:59 AM
I did in MVP 05 on the PC. I had a job at the time where I worked graveyards sitting behind a desk bored out of my mind. I installed it on my work PC and played maybe 3 or 4 games a night. Before I knew it I was at the postseason. I had to replay a few games, but I eventually won the World Series.

# 70 Legionnaire @ 03/30/12 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDX97
No way. And I hate when games don't let you shorten the season. I've completed 30 game seasons, something like that. But 162 is just too many.
I'd love it if The Show included some options on season length/format.

I dig baseball, don't get me wrong, but I would love to be able to use a videogame to enjoy the sport benefiting from the model football has -- where there's so few games, so everything matters that much more.

I would love to play in a fictional universe where baseball was more like the NFL. You could do it 1 game per week over a 4 month span. Or for the people who are really attached to the idea of playing games in series, you could do a series per week so teams play a different opponent each weekend in 3-game series.

You'd have to include an option to basically reboot all the record books, so there's a new standard for it all. That way you're trying to set the record for most HRs or whatever in a 16-game span. Or 48. Or whatever number.

But I'd be fascinated to see how the record books look after a couple decades.

And let's face it, if the season was shortened that much, if I could play 16-game seasons like the NFL, I'd fly through so many seasons. I could conceivably roll with a franchise for decades and decades. If seasons were such a breeze to complete, I could see myself setting a lofty goal like wanting to play a whole century into the future. I've had a lot of memorable experiences with franchises/dynasties in various games and various sports.... but being able to change the format of baseball so I can finally take it far into the future? That'd probably become my favorite.

I'd make it so deep into the future. It'd be the best of all worlds for me. I'd get to play the game of baseball, which I love. I'd get to play lots of seasons, enjoying all the drafting and roster turnover, which I love. And I'd finally be able to stop simulating, so I'd get to advance far into the future without it being tainted by the fact that I wasn't playing many of the games myself. It'd be good fun for me.

# 71 MachoMyers @ 03/30/12 05:10 AM
I have never done all 162 games myself.

My brother did it for the Show for about 3/4 years in a row all with the Mets. He got so burnt out he doesn't even play the game anymore. Sad story.

# 72 Beefmaster @ 03/30/12 12:18 PM
Completed it with 4 different teams on Griffey Jr. for the SNES. Did two seasons on triple play 2000. Did 1 season on MVP 05, with the Reds, where I played all games, including all the minor league games. That one took forever. And I did 4 seasons with the Mariners on MLB the Show 09. The Show 12 is the first baseball game I have bought since 09. I still have the Griffey Jr. game that I throw in from time to time and play on old seasons.

# 73 shifty_b @ 03/30/12 12:21 PM
I haven't with The Show yet, but I did with both MVP '04 and '05. I seem to get pretty far through with The Show, then somehow get distracted.

# 74 BobbyColtrane @ 03/30/12 12:38 PM
When i was a kid i finished an entire season on Bases Loaded II. I believe it was a 160 game season on that game though. Obviously a very different era, and there was no jumping in & out of games or manager mode.

This year im going to take a run at finishing a season between my Vita & PS3. Im already 8 games or so into a season. As great as knight's rosters are, for now im going to value jumping in & getting my season cracking over getting 100% rosters.

# 75 armymule @ 03/30/12 02:03 PM
I have completed every season since the Micro-League and LaRussa Baseball using two teams, the Yankees and the Cardinals. I try to play every game using manage mode but occasionally have to sim a game or two to keep up with the regular season. Prior to Micro-League I played the original All Star Baseball, where you used a spinner on a gameboard with disks for all the players. You had to keep stats manually on a notebook back then.

# 76 mpt54 @ 04/02/12 01:03 PM
I never actually played every game in the season, just the division. I enjoy the GM duties in the off season

# 77 FocusYoMindOnDis @ 04/03/12 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
It is blasphemy around these parts, but I prefer All Star Baseball 2005 to MVP Baseball 2005.

I just never could get into the whole "golf meter" gameplay style of MVP.
Further blasphemy, but I like MVP 2003 (with Randy Johnson on the cover) way more than I liked 2005, and yes I finshed the 162 with the Mets that year. Mo Vaughn had 65 homers for me, Burnitz had 42, and Piazza had 50...I remember watching them in real life, and then going ot replicate what they should have been doing during that game. Had a blast!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.