Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here. (Fast forward to roughly 12:55)
  • No more psychic DB's, DB's have to see the ball, before they can make a play on the ball
  • 25 different pass trajectory zones (Drop it over LB's, lead your receiver using left stick)
  • 20+ new dropbacks, including new screen play dropbacks
  • New rollout passing animations, will still be difficult to complete passes throwing against your body, as you will not have enough arm strength
  • Icons are dimmed out, until they are actually "ready" to make a catch
  • Available in stores July 10th

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 jeremym480 @ 04/13/12 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia

Go back and play NCAA 11, tell me it is not better than NCAA 12 right now.
It's certainly not in my opinion. The fact that the flats aren't open on every play and zone coverage actually working make NCAA 12 head and shoulders above 11.

As for the videos you posted, you can do that with in yearly release this gen. No sports game has made a huge leap forward from one iteration to the next.

# 122 K0ZZ @ 04/13/12 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
As I said in another thread. Why is it that just because we are disappointed with what we see, we then give them more credit by saying they are capable but not willing. What if the actual fact is that they are willing and not capable? I'm not going to say either way, but I think the question has to be entertained. People always say, well they are just not trying. If they had competition this game would be x, y and z. I used to say that stuff too, but now, I am starting to entertain the other position. What if having competition is not going to mean a hill of beans and the game that you get from them now would actually be the game you get even if they had competition. The decisions they made with tech and what to do with it are the decisions they made. Competition would probably not change that.
Competition would change things, competition is the reason why products get to upper levels of quality, you can alter price and marketing only so much to cover a product, without competition there is no bar to strive past. Yes you can go out planning to improve your product with iteration but even then those steps are miniscule. If for example, there was a 2K football game out that excelled in presentation, chances are EA would start to ramp up their presentation, where as it took them several years to go from thirty people yelling in a garage to actually sound capturing stadiums.

It is a possibility, maybe not with the current engine, but it's their job to make an engine in place that can do with what they desire, they own their own engine they have unlimited ability to alter coding and such, it's not as if they are using someone's elses engines that carry restrictions on editting.

If they wanted to, it could be done.

Not saying every single Tiburon employee doesn't want to, but its a minority or it would've been communicated to upper level and given the go ahead or denial.

From a business standpoint, Tiburon has largely been resting on their laurels. 2K did that with their MLB franchise after taking out MVP with the license and look where it's at now in comparison to their NBA franchise which had competition up until last season?

# 123 adub88 @ 04/13/12 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
As I said, I think this is a valid conclusion. They've never been great with animations and on the new systems that is more visible than it was last gen. Last gen, they could not match 2k's OL vs DL animations, tackling/break tackle, CB technique in terms of riding the WR's hip ect. And now with their emphasis on short branching animations I think as guys who play these games we are stuck with what we have. The way they do mo-cap also plays a role into how some of this stuff looks. The decisions that have been made are playing a big role in what we see now.
I was watching a vid on youtube of Meagatron going up against a Dolphins DB in a goal line situation and my jaw dropped just to see the DB/WR animations. The scary part about it, is that it was NFL 2K5!!!

For anyone who has the game, just look at the mo-cap talent they had for that game and you can see why their animations are so...so... so, REAL! I remember watching a brief mo-cap video for NCAA '12, and I'm sorry but the guy they had running around in the mo-cap suit looked like the only time he ever played football was in his dreams.

# 124 SageInfinite @ 04/13/12 01:31 PM
I don't understand how they can have receiver route running animations and not add the DB's having momentum in their reactions and turning. Seeing a receiver run his route and have a DB automatically turn and run with him is just disgusting and pointless. Having a receiver run a really sick route is pointless if DB's just snap into position.

# 125 Watson @ 04/13/12 01:35 PM
BUT THE BALL SIZE THO!

# 126 cts @ 04/13/12 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
correct.. they showed clips from '12 then from '13 to show the differences. It's a bit confusing because there is no overlay telling us which version of the game we were watching... or if there was i couldn't see it..
I think many people are missing this.

# 127 SageInfinite @ 04/13/12 01:38 PM
Also I don't understand how they did the passing game over but didn't add the qb throwing styles like Madden has. Hopefully I'm wrong and they did, but in the video I didn't see any indication of it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

# 128 Gotmadskillzson @ 04/13/12 01:47 PM
Some more thoughts.......

1. Is the drop back system scripted automatic or is it ratings based ? As in a low awareness QB would be prone to dropping back too short or too long for the designed passing play ?

2. Is the QB roll out ratings based ? As in some QBs are more prone to rolling out to extend the play then other QBs ? Not only that, but do they roll out based off the direction the pressure is coming from ? It would suck if they only rolled out to one side only majority of the time.

3. If during the roll out and no WR get open, will the QB just take off and scramble or will he just force a ball down field regardless ?

4. Will a CPU QB throw pump fakes this year ? That is something the CPU QB never do. It would be perfect for them to do it this year to take full advantage of the read & react defense.

IMO the next evolution for football video games is to make players prone to messing up. CPU plays too perfect. It lacks that HUMAN factor. I will like to see a low awareness player do the wrong drop back sometimes, run the wrong route sometimes, you know stuff like that.

That way it would be real life penalties for playing with a team with a lot freshmen and sophmore starters vs playing with a team with juniors and seniors. As it is now, you can knock out the starter senior QB, freshmen QB comes in and NOTHING changes. He performs just as good as a senior even though his ratings is piss poor.

Hopefully they addressed that this year as well.

# 129 Broncos86 @ 04/13/12 01:54 PM
/excited. That is all.

# 130 mpt54 @ 04/13/12 02:03 PM
looks promising

# 131 LBzrule @ 04/13/12 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
Competition would change things, competition is the reason why products get to upper levels of quality, you can alter price and marketing only so much to cover a product, without competition there is no bar to strive past. Yes you can go out planning to improve your product with iteration but even then those steps are miniscule. If for example, there was a 2K football game out that excelled in presentation, chances are EA would start to ramp up their presentation, where as it took them several years to go from thirty people yelling in a garage to actually sound capturing stadiums.

It is a possibility, maybe not with the current engine, but it's their job to make an engine in place that can do with what they desire, they own their own engine they have unlimited ability to alter coding and such, it's not as if they are using someone's elses engines that carry restrictions on editting.

If they wanted to, it could be done.

Not saying every single Tiburon employee doesn't want to, but its a minority or it would've been communicated to upper level and given the go ahead or denial.

From a business standpoint, Tiburon has largely been resting on their laurels. 2K did that with their MLB franchise after taking out MVP with the license and look where it's at now in comparison to their NBA franchise which had competition up until last season?
My one question is when we look at the history of it, did they do it when they had the chance? And the answer is a flat out NO. When 2k4 came out the presentation was the best a football game had seen. When did Madden improve presentation? They did not touch it until what two years ago seven to eight years after 2k4. We are talking about almost a ten year gap. 2k's run blocking in 2k4 onward. When did EA touch run blocking? 2 years ago? The competition was GONE already. They could not touch the competition so they got rid of it to try to "catch up." And their catch ups are showing the limitations of the technology they are using. When it comes to capability it is a two way street, it is the people and it is the tech. The tech is limited, and it may be that they do not know how to manipulate the tech to do something different.

I do not believe for one minute that the game would be any better than it is right now with the big ticket items like animations and play system. These are not things that you can change over night and once you make a decision way back when, you gotta live with it until you are able to start over from scratch. EA made a decision with Madden 09 to go with short branch out animations. Now they cannot change that and the game will always suffer from that decision until they can start over. The OL will probably always be Man on Man pass blocking unless they can some how manipulate animations and develop sophisticated enough code to deal with combo pass blocking which was done six years ago now by the competition.

I just don't see it. When the competition was around they did nothing to match them on the big ticket items and now I'm supposed to believe that if they have competition they would do a better job on those things?

Anyways, I don't want to side track. I apologize for getting the thread off course.

# 132 K0ZZ @ 04/13/12 02:32 PM
The issue is those games went out of the market, there was no competition to their bottom line. Did 2K4/5 having better presentation stop sales of Madden 6/7/8/9-so on?

Maybe a little for six but after that the impact got smaller and smaller, once defunct it really isn't a competitor any more.

I still think competition would've improved the product past what we have today.

Edit: It's only competition if it's affecting a companies sales. There is no reason to make improvements if it is previously defunct. But like you said it's best to end the conversation as to keep the topic from totally derailing. I'm also not saying 2K would put out a better FB game, I just wished what EA offered was much better than what it currently is.

# 133 rufusone @ 04/13/12 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
They are capable, they aren't willing to.

The FIFA games look fairly fluid (but I am not a soccer fan in real life so I could easily be wrong if thats considered stiff compared to how they actually play)

It's been a disappointing generation for football and it bothers the hell out of me.
All I can say is there better get there crap together for the next generations of consoles coming in 2013 and give us a realistic football game of NCAA and Madden or there will be hell to pay

# 134 TripleCrown9 @ 04/13/12 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusone
All I can say is there better get there crap together for the next generations of consoles coming in 2013 and give us a realistic football game of NCAA and Madden or there will be hell to pay
This is the stuff that annoys me. What are you gonna do? Not give them your $60? Write them a strongly worded letter?

# 135 droopizzle34 @ 04/13/12 02:42 PM
My curiousity is peeked.....features sound tight...will reserve judgement till July 10.

# 136 Lodeus @ 04/13/12 02:42 PM
No more psychic DB's? Nice! I am now excited for this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
This is the stuff that annoys me. What are you gonna do? Not give them your $60? Write them a strongly worded letter?
I find it funny.

# 137 lhscf1 @ 04/13/12 02:44 PM
Didn't they claim they got rid of psychic DB's last year?

# 138 LBzrule @ 04/13/12 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusone
The only hell that is being paid is me sitting in my living room wondering why I paid 65 dollars. And unless another developer is able to secure part of the NFL license allowing them to make a game it'll be the same hell if I should so choose to purchase the game and if EA sticks with just a better version of the technology they have in place and make some of the same style of decisions of what to do with the tech.

The one thing I will say is that I will no longer put the blame on EA. I have to be smarter with my money. Bottom line. It's not like I don't know what I'm going to be getting before I purchase it. That's why this year has to be different for me as a consumer. New passing game, great, but if I value OL vs DL interaction and value combo pass blocking higher than any corrections they have made, I gotta be smart and say no matter how good it looks, I'm opting out. Otherwise the only person I can be mad with is me. I knew what I was walking into and did it anyway.

# 139 I3RIS3H @ 04/13/12 02:45 PM
Looks promising, but I'm still waiting for the game play preview on Monday.

# 140 Xx_JP_VHS_xX @ 04/13/12 02:48 PM
I'm tired of that same ole damn scoreboard on the bottom, update that shiz.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.