Home
News Post

How much more classic of a ballpark than Wrigley Field can you get really?

From the ivy covered walls to the classic scoreboard in Center Field, to the small concourses and traditional day game schedule -- there's a lot of throwback to be had in Wrigley Field, which opened in 1914.

In terms of in game action, you get to play a lot of day games here, which is where MLB '12: The Show is by far at it's best looking. You get to do so in a classic ballpark, with the classic sightlines complete with bleacher seating across the street on top of the residences as you'd expect to see on a WGN broadcast.

While you can't experience the thrill of Wrigleyville or enjoy the classic ballpark fare available at Wrigley -- so a big part of why Wrigley really is one of the games best ballparks is lost in The Show -- it's hard to find something I don't like about this park in the game.

The playing surface itself features the deep Wrigley Corners of 355 in left and 353 in right, moving out to a short 400 in center. It's hard not to classify Wrigley as a hitters park except the long distances down the lines definitely do take some homers away you'd have in other parks.

What is your favorite aspect of Wrigley Field?

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jyoung @ 04/27/12 10:49 AM
I like hitting a home run into the street and nailing passing by vehicles.

# 2 Curahee @ 04/27/12 10:55 AM
I just wish there were some things that were more accurate.
The color of the scoreboard numbers are wrong.
There are no Divisional flag, no retired number flags, no Harry Caray caricature on the press box, no bullpen spotters.
The AC number has been wrong for about 4 years.

As good as it is, it needs some fixes.

# 3 thaSLAB @ 04/27/12 11:09 AM
Number one feature, IMO, is the ivy. Then there's the rooftop seating! Those, and the fact that it is truly a classic stadium. I grew up watching Ryno, Hawk, Bull, Sarge, Penguin and the Deer playing at Wrigley. And listening to Harry and Steve call the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
I just wish there were some things that were more accurate.
The color of the scoreboard numbers are wrong.
There are no Divisional flag, no retired number flags, no Garry Caray caricature on the press box, no bullpen spotters.
The AC number has been wrong for about 4 years.

As good as it is, it needs some fixes.

# 4 devroid @ 04/27/12 11:25 AM
Thankfully they cannot replicate the smell, though I make sure to not flush my toilet for a few days if I'm going to be playing a game there to really make the experience real.

# 5 Curahee @ 04/27/12 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devroid
Thankfully they cannot replicate the smell, though I make sure to not flush my toilet for a few days if I'm going to be playing a game there to really make the experience real.

Sox fan!

# 6 Jistic @ 04/27/12 12:04 PM
Love the fact in April the ivy is brown and the announcers actually make reference to that fact. They did a great job.

# 7 CgyFlames @ 04/27/12 12:30 PM
Playing a season as the Cubs and every home game is a joy because of this place.

# 8 beantownbruins @ 04/27/12 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
How much more classic of a ballpark than Wrigley Field can you get really?
Easy. Fenway Park. As for my favorite part of the 2nd best stadium in baseball, it's between the ivy and the fans watching across the street from the rooftops.

# 9 Curahee @ 04/27/12 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beantownbruins
the fans watching across the street from the rooftops.
I remember when those rooftop bleachers were lawn chairs!

# 10 tackleb0x @ 04/27/12 02:47 PM
Even as a baseball purist I can still say: Tear it down. By far the worst stadium I've ever seen a game at. They tore down more important stadiums. Cubs fans deserve to walk thru piss while waiting in line to get to a urinal if they can't see that its time.

# 11 Curahee @ 04/27/12 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleb0x
Even as a baseball purist I can still say: Tear it down. By far the worst stadium I've ever seen a game at. They tore down more important stadiums. Cubs fans deserve to walk thru piss while waiting in line to get to a urinal if they can't see that its time.

Bathrooms have been renovated and modernized this year.

The stadium will never be torn down and they are making better and better upgrades every year.

# 12 bukktown @ 04/27/12 05:57 PM
Can you list the other ballparks that made the list?

# 13 Curahee @ 04/27/12 05:59 PM

# 14 devroid @ 04/27/12 05:59 PM
I'ts a nice enough stadium to sit and watch a game at, every other aspect of it is sub-par though. The wall and the ivy are undeniably great but there isn't much else pleasing to the eye, externally the place is abysmal looking. I wouldn't rate it this high in real life, probably second 5 maybe, game wise I don't see how you could rate it a 2 without them incorporating the changes in right field.

# 15 Curahee @ 04/27/12 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devroid
I'ts a nice enough stadium to sit and watch a game at, every other aspect of it is sub-par though. The wall and the ivy are undeniably great but there isn't much else pleasing to the eye, externally the place is abysmal looking. I wouldn't rate it this high in real life, probably second 5 maybe, game wise I don't see how you could rate it a 2 without them incorporating the changes in right field.

Man I totally disagree with this.
Between The Batters Eye Club, The Captain Morgan Club, Wrigleyville itself, the statues, the brick pavers, the scoreboard, the Rooftops and now the Bud Light Bleachers. All these things make this stadium very unique.

# 16 Blzer @ 04/28/12 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
Bathrooms have been renovated and modernized this year.

The stadium will never be torn down and they are making better and better upgrades every year.
Actually, I'm hearing the foundation probably has about five more years before its legs give out (proverbially speaking).

# 17 Unit303 @ 04/28/12 05:44 AM
Target Field is up there easily. Love all those new additions and I can say I will try to get more in next year for that stadium, SF, and others that I have been to.

# 18 Unit303 @ 04/28/12 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo85
Been there and I honestly think its one if the most overrated sports stadiums. It really is a dump.
Agreed, that is rates in top ten stadium articles is beyond preposterous. Dump. Nostalgia is a huge thing though and I do respect it.

# 19 JoeRyan33 @ 04/28/12 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleb0x
We can't all have cheesy stadiums with slides, sausage races and a statue to the worst commissioner in pro sports. And that piss you smell is probably Ryan Braun getting rid of evidence.

Wrigley has tradition a Pilots/Brewers bandwagon fan could never understand. Heck, at least the White Sox have a bit of that.

# 20 BobbyColtrane @ 04/28/12 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRyan33
We can't all have cheesy stadiums with slides, sausage races and a statue to the worst commissioner in pro sports. And that piss you smell is probably Ryan Braun getting rid of evidence.

Wrigley has tradition a Pilots/Brewers bandwagon fan could never understand. Heck, at least the White Sox have a bit of that.
Even though i have no dog in this fight i loved this post haha. 9/10 TBH.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.