Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

With the MLB 2K series all but confirmed to be dead, Kotaku's Owen Good has posted an article on what MLB 13 The Show must do to keep the fans of baseball gaming happy. It should be interesting, considering a simulation baseball game for the 360 doesn't look very likely.

Quote:
Your long slog through your career in Road to the Show makes the game's threadbare commentary painfully apparent. I think the world of Matt Vasgersian but he is shackled to an outdated commentary engine given to repetition and dead air. Dave Campbell's dialogue library is really showing its age, and a majority of his work sounds like Dave Campbell playing Dave Campbell. Eric Karros should be thanked for his service and sent home. The Show has world class visuals and a smooth, if minimalist, broadcast presentation. The commentary supporting it has not pulled its weight in years.

In your opinion, what does MLB 13 The Show need to do next year to satisfy your baseball gaming needs?

Source - If We Won’t Have MLB 2K to Kick Around Next Year, Here’s What The Show Must Do (Kotaku)

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 pokerplaya @ 05/25/12 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
subjective, nothing game breaking online IMO. Sure the guys in my three leagues will say the same thing
Yeah, I've played a recorded 100 or so games in Diamond Dynasty, and I have AT&T U-Verse. I've had issues with other PLAYERS sure... but I'm sure that 95% of my games that have had a connection issue were with babies pulling their plugs. While it does need some tweaks, there is absolutely nothing wrong with online play -- especially when you have a community of sim gamers you can play with... like Hustlin said, nothing game breaking.

And I *did* buy the PS3 just for this game, wasn't close to $400 even with the game, and it's already paid for itself in hours of sheer entertainment. Definitely not a "fan-boy" but I will tell you as a thirty-four year old man that as a budgeted entertainment purchase, I couldn't be happier with my investment, and I've barely scratched the surface of what I can have fun with on my new system.

EDIT: gamertag is jaysdailydose if you'd like to see my online record, not sure if it will show the disconnect % or not, but figured i'd offer it up all the same.

# 42 ralphieboy11 @ 05/25/12 04:31 PM
For presentation purposes, I think it would be nice if we had optional graphics and overlays.

I know it would probably be too difficult to have multiple announcing teams, but I think it would be cool if you had more of a regional broadcast feel for a midweek game.

Meanwhile, the bigger weekend games or games in bigger markets would have a different look. The graphics could be different depending on who is the home team, and it may read 'Sunday Night Game of the Week', or something along those lines.

# 43 sacbillsfan @ 05/25/12 04:41 PM
Two things.

1. Franchise immersion. I want a more dynamic off season and a deeper scouting/draft experience.

2. For the love of god please let the Cubs cleats use blue as their main color and not gray.

# 44 dalger21 @ 05/25/12 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
I am not buying a PS3 and spending $400 for one game that has its own online issues. Everytime I have asked a reliable Show guy they tell me it has online issues
Actually, PS3's are down to 299.99 btw..

# 45 thesillyputty1 @ 05/25/12 05:20 PM
I have been waiting for them to change the overlay for the player card for years, to maybe something like this
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/6097/ryan-howard

where you can see the team each year the player played on as well as more stats such as stolen bases and fielding stats accumulated for over their career, something similar to nba2k's player card would do.

# 46 Troopershorty51 @ 05/25/12 05:25 PM
One thing I do like about the 2k games (and one of the only things) is the breakdown of a batter's stats. It will tell you the batter's avg. hr's and rbi's in each count you get in and I also believe it breaks it down by lefty vs. righty. I sometimes see home vs. away splits in the show but as far as I know I haven't seen it split by count and handedness of pitcher.

# 47 sydrogerdavid @ 05/25/12 05:25 PM
Playing sports games online is overrated anyway.

# 48 truintellectplaya @ 05/25/12 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
Actually, PS3's are down to 299.99 btw..
$299+$59.99 FOR GAME+$40 atleast for a 2nd controller that is well over $400. Even without the extra controller when you do the 7% TAX where I live it is $380+. Just not worth it for a game that way too many people say they have internet problems with

# 49 jripper09 @ 05/25/12 06:05 PM
i play mainly MOM mode now its amazing! i want to be able to argue calls or balls and strikes with managers or players just to be able to do it! and relieve me of some of the umpire ****ty calls that go against me! need alot more foul ball animations as well as batters actually fouling balls off ankles shins and knees instead of ball hitting ground and then hitting them. give us a few more animations to this event guys going straight down, hopping around and things like that with possible next game injury.
i would also like the line drives up the middle to be adressed if a pitcher gets hit, alot of times hes done. or it would affect the quality of his pitching or future injury managers dont mess around with these things.
anything that makes this game feel less like a video game would be welcomed. SCEA already does a great job doing this otherwise who the hell would play all 162 games!

# 50 dutch4404 @ 05/25/12 06:28 PM
- been mentioned a couple times but i also would like to see which teams a guy played for in past season. all i play is rtts, and when i run into a superstar player on a different team i like to know where they have been going through the years.

- endorsments for rtts. even if its made up brands, maybe i sign a contract to wear someones cleats or use a brand of bat(please add a logo to the bats since every bat used in baseball has a brand logo, made up brands are fine)

- would like new variety for equipment in rtts(liked how there was 3 choices of cleats this year as opposed to 1 last year, lets add more). the idea to customize webbing of gloves is great

- is it possible to age the player in rtts? my guy ends up looking the same when hes 36 as he did when he was 18

thanks for asking for ideas

# 51 RunningTheNight @ 05/25/12 06:32 PM
Step 1: New commentary

I am all but sick of the current commentary. I've been hearing the same repetitive, frustrating, old garbage coming from the likes of these outdated commentators for years now. They could bring in anyone (literally anyone with a half-decent voice: think Vin Diesel), and it would be an upgrade, in my opinion.

Step 2: I cannot stress this enough! EXPANSION MODE. Everyone has been requesting this every year, yet SCEA has failed to deliver. You're getting close with Diamond Dynasty, however, expansion mode would be one of the greatest improvements you could add to the game.

Edit:
Step 3: Player Ratings removal

Give us the option to hide/remove player ratings. We should (as it is in real life) be judging players by their stats, not their attributes. It would make it a bit more realistic, and perhaps more challenging, to those of us who want a statistical challenge.

# 52 Philly07 @ 05/25/12 06:35 PM
I pay a bit too much attention to stuff like cleats (props to the new styles this year, it would be cool if there were even more added next year such as one similar to the ZigTech cleats some players like Bautista and Bell wear) and batting stances. That being said, I would like to see batting stances and pitching motions be customizable for MLB 13. I would love to have my RTTS player have, say, Adrian Gonzalez's stance with Danny Espinosa's leg kick. Also, I would like to be able to have every pitching motion be available for use exclusively from the stretch. 2K was able to do this, and if they could, then so can The Show.

These additions would certainly help out with those either looking for the perfect stance for their RTTS player, or those responsible for roster creation.

# 53 Bobhead @ 05/25/12 06:40 PM
I actually paid 200 for my PS3, brand new, at Best Buy, and this was over a year ago. Learn to shop around.

While I certainly appreciate any improvements, when it comes to my purchase decision, I honestly could care less about menus and interfaces, commentary, added features, soundtracks, trade logic, bla bla bla... At the end of the day, when I buy a sports game, my main expectation is for the physicality of the sport itself to be accurately and realistically represented. I'll sign for listening to Eric Karros for the rest of my entire life if it means the on-field baseball is the best it can be. So, in the order of importance:

First and foremost, I'd like to see the new ball physics improve. I think it's a great step but there's still a lot of holes. I don't like that only the sweet spot of the bat is represented properly. Where's the weak line drive off the end of the bat? The jammed ground ball out? I'd also like to see more line drives in general, and fewer "home run-trajectory" hits. I know home runs aren't explicitly defined by the hitting system, but the ball has too much vertical pop, too much hangtime.

2. Pitchers need to be wayyyyyyy less accurate. Pitches need to miss outside of the zone, in the dirt, etc... not every mis-executed pitch goes down the middle of the strike zone in real life. Outside of the Classic Pitching mechanic, it's impossible to produce realistic strike/ball/walk rates, unless you go out of your way to force it, which is silly.

3. I want an option where I can just press the base-steal button at the exact moment I want my runner(s) to break... The Early Steal feature we have currently is pretty bad, and unreliable. Just give us RTTS-style control over the runner's break.

4. Some of the random, small inaccuracies need to be fixed. CPU has amazing plate vision and defensive reaction time; pickoffs/base stealing need to be improved, Batters running right into the 1st basemen's tag on a drag bunt...

5. Speaking of bunts... uhh, yeah... bunts. The whole bunt system needs to be redone. Too many missed/pop-up bunts, the pull-back is too slow

6. I'd like to see a larger variety of errors. On nearly every play, you either get the out, or the ball goes flying into the next country. Some more middle ground would be nice. The fielder can just step off the bag (or jump) and catch an errant throw. An outfielder can have trouble transferring before a throw transfer can take longer, etc...

I'd also like to see fielders backing each other up more. In real life it's very rare the ball actually goes out of play or off-course somewhere. Most errors don't lead to extra bases, just missed outs.

Spectacular plays need to produce more errors. Behind-the-back double plays, I'm looking right at you!

7. The substitution interface needs re-done. I should be able to (easily) pinch-hit with Carlos Zambrano, even on an American League team. I should be able to switch defensive positions even during the offensive half of the inning (No, Matt Vasgersian, Derek Jeter is not staying in the game as the new center fielder, shut up.)

I should be able to pinch-hit for my DH, then lose the DH position. I should also be able to defensively switch the DH elsewhere, again, at the expense of having a DH.

I guess that's it, lol.

# 54 Kernel Pie @ 05/25/12 06:52 PM
I seriously want to see a Playoff mode, and a World Series mode. When October rolls around, it's gonna be extremely frustrating with no way to customize a World Series exaclty the way the real one is playing out. I can't believe they left this out of the game considering how detailed everything else is.

I also would love a way to match lineups and rosters with the real games in MLB that day--maybe even with updated stats and ratings progression. I can't get into Franchise or Season or RTTS for some reason. Instead I like to play a game or two from the real league each day, matching the pitchers, conditions, rosters, and lineups. It's frustrating doing this manually, and I would pay twice for a mode that updates this info daily/nightly.

I also think the annoucing crew should be shown the door. We need some better talent in this game (Bob Brenly, John Miller, anyone). The guys in there now don't have enough emotion, character, or insight, and Karros and Campbell sound like absolute robots.

I'd like to see more variation in the broadcast shots between pitches. Now it's basically closeups of the pitcher and batter and that's it. Show some more dugout shots, managers calling out instructions, fans getting into the game, wide views of the stadium, anything. In video games things get repeptive real fast due to the high number of replays. Get creative and add drama/interest to the game--arguments between the catcher and batter, stuff like that. This part of the game is already awesome, so just add to it basically.

# 55 dutch4404 @ 05/25/12 07:00 PM
how bout showing players defensive attributes during a game. like say im on 2nd base(rtts), i can pause the game and it could show the defense and their throwing attributes. so i know if i should try and score on a single if its a guy like johnny damon or put the breaks on if its ichiro. some guys u know but its tough to memorize everyone

# 56 seanjeezy @ 05/25/12 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
2. Pitchers need to be wayyyyyyy less accurate. Pitches need to miss outside of the zone, in the dirt, etc... not every mis-executed pitch goes down the middle of the strike zone in real life. Outside of the Classic Pitching mechanic, it's impossible to produce realistic strike/ball/walk rates, unless you go out of your way to force it, which is silly.
Care to share your pitching interface and difficulty level? Legend pulse pitching with consistency at 3 and control at 7 is pure bliss for me - ~60-65% strike rate, realistic whiff totals, and that's with me trying to throw strikes early in the count.

# 57 seanjeezy @ 05/25/12 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch4404
how bout showing players defensive attributes during a game. like say im on 2nd base(rtts), i can pause the game and it could show the defense and their throwing attributes. so i know if i should try and score on a single if its a guy like johnny damon or put the breaks on if its ichiro. some guys u know but its tough to memorize everyone
They have this already - If you go to the stats page in the pause menu the ratings bars are there. There is also a player ratings page in the quick menu; when you are on offense it will show the defense's ratings.

# 58 Bobhead @ 05/25/12 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Care to share your pitching interface and difficulty level? Legend pulse pitching with consistency at 3 and control at 7 is pure bliss for me - ~60-65% strike rate, realistic whiff totals, and that's with me trying to throw strikes early in the count.
Analog and All Star, although I played on Hall of Fame for several months, with little improvement. Does it matter though? I should see realistic accuracy on any control scheme, and - well, I won't say any difficulty, since newer players should have a level available where throwing strikes isn't a challenge... But, the idea that the only way to not lead the league in fewest walks allowed is by pitching on Legend is ridiculous. I'm not saying you suggested that, I'm just saying.

Plus, you had to change your sliders. The idea is to see this stuff out of the box.

# 59 truintellectplaya @ 05/25/12 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I actually paid 200 for my PS3, brand new, at Best Buy, and this was over a year ago. Learn to shop around.

While I certainly appreciate any improvements, when it comes to my purchase decision, I honestly could care less about menus and interfaces, commentary, added features, soundtracks, trade logic, bla bla bla... At the end of the day, when I buy a sports game, my main expectation is for the physicality of the sport itself to be accurately and realistically represented. I'll sign for listening to Eric Karros for the rest of my entire life if it means the on-field baseball is the best it can be. So, in the order of importance:

First and foremost, I'd like to see the new ball physics improve. I think it's a great step but there's still a lot of holes. I don't like that only the sweet spot of the bat is represented properly. Where's the weak line drive off the end of the bat? The jammed ground ball out? I'd also like to see more line drives in general, and fewer "home run-trajectory" hits. I know home runs aren't explicitly defined by the hitting system, but the ball has too much vertical pop, too much hangtime.

3. I want an option where I can just press the base-steal button at the exact moment I want my runner(s) to break... The Early Steal feature we have currently is pretty bad, and unreliable. Just give us RTTS-style control over the runner's break.

4. Some of the random, small inaccuracies need to be fixed. CPU has amazing plate vision and defensive reaction time; pickoffs/base stealing need to be improved, Batters running right into the 1st basemen's tag on a drag bunt...

5. Speaking of bunts... uhh, yeah... bunts. The whole bunt system needs to be redone. Too many missed/pop-up bunts, the pull-back is too slow

6. I'd like to see a larger variety of errors. On nearly every play, you either get the out, or the ball goes flying into the next country. Some more middle ground would be nice. The fielder can just step off the bag (or jump) and catch an errant throw. An outfielder can have trouble transferring before a throw transfer can take longer, etc...

I'd also like to see fielders backing each other up more. In real life it's very rare the ball actually goes out of play or off-course somewhere. Most errors don't lead to extra bases, just missed outs.

Spectacular plays need to produce more errors. Behind-the-back double plays, I'm looking right at you!

7. The substitution interface needs re-done. I should be able to (easily) pinch-hit with Carlos Zambrano, even on an American League team. I should be able to switch defensive positions even during the offensive half of the inning (No, Matt Vasgersian, Derek Jeter is not staying in the game as the new center fielder, shut up.)

I should be able to pinch-hit for my DH, then lose the DH position. I should also be able to defensively switch the DH elsewhere, again, at the expense of having a DH.

I guess that's it, lol.
Show me one place where I can get a new PS3 with 100+ drive for $199? Learn to stay relevant instead of trying to tout things and wanting to be correct.

# 60 Feldman011teen @ 05/25/12 07:35 PM
Build a franchise, expansion draft. Maybe 30 game franchise seasons instead of 162. Add Single A teams. Redo the entire menu interface. Classic game challenges a la NFL QB Club and Madden. New announcers. In game highlights of other games. Since 2k is gone, they can go get the guys that do the announcing for that game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.