Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

While most of the Madden NFL 13 news out of E3 seems to be positive, we now have something that could turn into a very big issue. Especially if you enjoy roster editing or use edited rosters created by others.

There seemed to be some confusion about edited rosters. More specifically, if edited rosters could be used in Connected Careers Mode.

I sent a few messages to Justin Dewiel, Community Manager at EA Sports earlier this afternoon and received the following responses.

Quote:
You can edit rosters outside of CC. But you can’t bring them into CC.

If you start a new CCM career after one of Donny Moore’s releases you can start with that new roster.

Basically, we have to rely on Donny Moore's roster updates, throughout the season, instead of grabbing updated rosters from the many talented roster editors out there, or simply editing on our own.

Jean Adams, Art Director for Madden NFL 13, mentioned the following, in his presentation blog, which was posted in late April.

Quote:
Mixing and matching the new NIKE uniforms, cleats, face masks, sleeves and other yet to be released gear will keep me and many gamers out there in edit player for hours.

Hmmm. I somehow doubt many gamers will be playing around much in edit player, if we can't use the edits in anything other than a Play Now session.

Josh Looman, Madden NFL 13 Senior Designer mentioned on Twitter the following glimmer of hope.

Quote:
We just ran out of time. It will be in there at some point in the future.

Does he mean Madden NFL 14 or could the Madden NFL 13 team add the editing ability in a Title Update or fix the issue before its August 28th release date? I think I speak for everyone, when I say the sooner, the better.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 OriolesFanRD @ 06/11/12 08:37 PM
If only we all voted with our wallet. We as gamers need to shift the power back to the consumer. This total situation is garbage. I do admire those who find this as a good think though.

# 62 bpac55 @ 06/11/12 08:38 PM
If they ran out of time then they better keep working on this until it is ready and patch it in. I am not buying this game if I can't edit things and run my CC as much like an offline franchise as possible.

# 63 Eastsidestory5 @ 06/11/12 08:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...4lif/nojwx.gif

(won't post the picture because I don't remember the rules on profanity here.)

# 64 dill911 @ 06/11/12 08:42 PM
and honestly for the guy to say "we ran out of time" . -____- are you serious? "oh well when we were making the new PS4 we were gona give it a hard drive butttt we ran out of time." like seriously thats a horrible excuse. someone is hiding something because there has to be another reason why such a HUGE thing from the game is gone. i mean roster editors were basically responsible for introducing the whole roster sharing thing into NCAA and Madden and HUGE in getting people play the game and make its replay value basically infinite. and now that is all gone. it seems like they are really throwing all their marbles in with this CC mode and this years new engine. If it isn't amazing there will be HUGE ramifications, like these decisions change companies. i mean im not ready to say Madden is a total catastrophe yet, but it sure is shaping up to be. NCAA Football 13 was looking bad this year but with this news, NCAA actually is doing better. crazy how much can change in a week

# 65 Cory Levy @ 06/11/12 08:43 PM
Looks like I'm in the extreme minority here, but this only slightly dampens my excitement for the new edition of Madden. It's a little disappointing, sure, but hardly game breaking or anything. I could see why some would be upset, but I'll live. Especially if CC and the Infinity Engine improve the game as much as I think they will.

Hopefully it'll return next year.

# 66 Herky @ 06/11/12 08:44 PM
I don't like the direct that Madden is heading. Offline franchise is slowly dying off and that's all I play.

# 67 Icarus2k9 @ 06/11/12 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dill911
the thing that blows me away is how rude the madden guys are being. like looman says "we should be happy for the big things instead of complaining about little things" like im sorry but that is rude AF! I work for TV and for Madden to be putting out comments like that in public is pretty outrageous.

and can someone clarify if there is even an offline franchise? because from my understanding im seeing that rosters can be edited outside of CC in the main menu but they can only be used for play now? well maybe the mayans were right. . .
It's getting to the point where we have to accept EA want the quirky obsessed Madden crowd to just go away now, please. A long time ago I remember someone from EA commenting on here that they didn't want their franchise modes to resemble databases, because that wasn't interesting, and if they were going to bring depth into Madden franchise they were going to do it their way. (Sorry for horrible paraphrasing and even worse memory).

This is just a little glimpse of the result of that drive. I just feel they honestly don't understand or would even want to understand why someone would spend hours and hours painstakingly editing their franchise to get it accurate to the last player. Heck, most football fans don't know the backups of their favourite teams, let alone the 53rd man. But Peyton Manning has his face and throwing motion and cadence, AMIRITE?

For years, people have attempted to make franchise modes as immersive as possible by tinkering and editing and writing storylines for themselves and setting house rules and all sorts of crazy behaviours...because these guys want that from their games. Now EA have the choice to finally deliver the immersion on their terms, but it's like they don't understand why those obsessive players won't abandon their well worn and well loved ways, or why those gamers don't trust them to deliver accuracy.

I'll admit, I'm absolutely stoked for CCM. For the level I follow the sport at it's going to push my buttons in very satisfying ways. But my goodness, are they betting the house on their rosters being perfect, their progression system being awesome and their draft classes and trade logic being sublime.

Because we now have no way of helping them any more. Well, it's that or 32 team online franchise, which is an odd direction to push us in because I'm sure they used to say online franchise was untouched because who could get a 32 team league going in the real world?

# 68 DeuceDouglas @ 06/11/12 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Levy
Looks like I'm in the extreme minority here, but this only slightly dampens my excitement for the new edition of Madden. It's a little disappointing, sure, but hardly game breaking or anything. I could see why some would be upset, but I'll live. Especially if CC and the Infinity Engine improve the game as much as I think they will.

Hopefully it'll return next year.
I feel the same way. With the exception of the ability to change rosters, they hit niche groups the hardest with no 32 team control, no fantasy draft, and no NCAA import. Obviously the player editing is something that affects a large number of people as well but I think there is also a lot of people that either aren't affected or devastated by it.

# 69 bpac55 @ 06/11/12 08:50 PM
I am such a realist that as an Eagles fan I have a hard time cutting Jon Dorenbos, the long snapper who is rated maybe 46 as a tight end. I don't even play him because there is no long snapper rating....this is long over due if you ask me as well. Special teams are a huge part and ask the Giants how important a good LS is. The point is that a lot of us players like total control of how we treat our rosters.

# 70 AUTiger1 @ 06/11/12 08:54 PM
So you can't used an edit roster in off-line franchise? Wow. Ok that just totally sucks.

# 71 Bharp17 @ 06/11/12 08:57 PM
Well people like us who edit rosters are in an extreme minority so it really won't effect them by taking it out of the game

# 72 DCEBB2001 @ 06/11/12 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriolesFanRD
If only we all voted with our wallet. We as gamers need to shift the power back to the consumer. This total situation is garbage. I do admire those who find this as a good think though.
If it were possible for people to give up playing Madden for a year, this would be a great idea. But as much as some of us complain, many will continue to behave like mindless drones and fork out their 60 bucks to play a game that isn't even worth a quarter of that price. To be honest, it is the Madden COMMUNITY that needs to send the message...by holding on to their cash. Show them that the biggest release isn't the biggest release for one year. See what happens then. I haven't purchased this game in 5 YEARS because they continue to put out an inferior product in comparison to what I can do, say, on Madden 08 for the PC with all the modding. Perhaps I should bring FBG back to the old gen. At least then I can produce accurate draft classes for the community.

# 73 StanleyStutters @ 06/11/12 08:59 PM
Connected Careers mode has the potential to be a very enjoyable feature, but I can't help but feel like they released this one year too early. If they "didn't have enough time" to include: Editing rosters in CC, editing rosters for use in CC, multiplayer CC on the same console, importing classes/RTG players, and couch co-op in CC, then maybe they should have waited another year.

# 74 Icarus2k9 @ 06/11/12 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharp17
Well people like us who edit rosters are in an extreme minority so it really won't effect them by taking it out of the game
100%, but I wonder how many people use it very very lightly? Like the 12-year-old who is obsessed with Von Miller because he saw him get a sack the very first time he went to a game, so he's going to make Von a 99? Or the cheesehead who can take everything but AJ Hawk's face for Josh Sitton? (Me me me me me). Or someone who saw Matt Berry from ESPN's fantasy football columns get added in a roster update and wants the fake player gone? Or a Miami fan who just saw their QB of the future proudly wear 13?

It's a million little ways we can't make this game better. Your definition of better may vary, but the means of doing that remains the same.

# 75 TheBleedingRed21 @ 06/11/12 09:04 PM
How in the hell did they have time to add editing outside of CC but could not just have made CC rosters editable? That is what gets me.

# 76 JoeMimic @ 06/11/12 09:06 PM
Wonder if someone will be able to make a external editor of some sort....

# 77 blklightning @ 06/11/12 09:08 PM
I don't understand the difference between a downloaded roster update and one that was edited in game. They should both work the same.

# 78 Sanchez_Mareno @ 06/11/12 09:09 PM
This does not bother me

# 79 blklightning @ 06/11/12 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
I disagree. They got hammered with no player editing in Madden 06. Every reviewer mentioned it.

Without player editing, people can't make youtube videos showing "johny no ankles" at 150 lbs 5'2 playing on the offensive line as well as a 350 lbs lineman,lol. Well, I guess they can with play it now...

Anyway, I still say it's all about forcing online subscription for updated rosters. Lots of people by used these days and ea can cash in on this.
Can't you just grab an updated roster off the internet, put it on a usb, and then transfer it to your console of choice?

# 80 DiceMan @ 06/11/12 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkizast
Still a total failure. I don't play ANY single play now games. Only franchise or "Connected Career" games because I want them to mean something.

facepalm

Also, thanks EA for getting rid of offline franchise and making CC the ONLY career mode in the game and making it handicapped.
Wait....There's no offline franchise mode this year? (Not flaming, I've been away from the boards for awhile).

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.