Home
News Post

The day has arrived, we now know that College Football's National Champion will definitely be decided by a playoff for the first time ever for the 2014 season. The format seems simple enough: the top four teams as chosen by a selection committee.

The question of by what criteria will the teams be selected has not been finalized. It sounds like, on the surface, that the days of computers and polls deciding the National Champion might be a thing of the past.

So what do you think about the new college football playoff plan? Do you like it? Are you worried about the selection committee aspect?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 21 seasprite @ 06/21/12 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagskerfan
I for one (not that it matters) won't be able to fork over the money to go to a semi final or final game. Let's say you go to a majority of home games. Then you pay extra to go to a conference championship, then you pay extra to go to a semi final game, then a national championship? I'm not paying that kind of money to watch a college football game.
Understood, but most people I know and those who I watch our home games with, would have no problem following our team to a semi-final game then to a championship game. JMO

# 22 AUChase @ 06/21/12 06:21 PM
The on campus semi final games would have helped bring more important to the seeding, but not having it won't effect ticket sales.

If my team is involved, I'm rolling the dice and planning for a championship game, instead of both. Depending on the locations and how manageable the drive would be, may change whether I could afford both or not. The most expensive part to me is the flight and hotel...

I was planning to go to Glendale, a few years ago, but I had some stuff come up, last minute.

Sent from my Desire HD

# 23 MacDiiddy @ 06/22/12 12:29 AM
I love it all, the only two things i would want to change is having the semi 3 out of 5 possible locations for semi finals in SEC country.
I really hope they bid out the National Championship game. So locations like St.Louis or Indy can make a bid.

Also I actually like the selection committee. You can be cynical and think this would add for biases-ness and so on. But when you think about it the BCS rankings is a mixture of Coaches, Media and a computer formula. Many many many many people....esp in the coaches poll dont watch the games, they only see sports center and the bottom line. If a solid, non biased, experienced group of people can sit down and watch these teams, we should have a fantastic tournament.

# 24 dodgerblue @ 06/22/12 12:46 AM
It depends on how it is going to work. I haven't read enough on the subject to know, but if the bowls are set up as a quarterfinal 8 v 1, 7 v 2, 6 v 3, 5 v 4 with the 4 winners advancing to the final 4 I like it.

However, if the bowls roll like they do now with conference tie ins or other automatic formulas where the matchups aren't as described above it could be a real problem.

For example, lets say you have #1 Alabama v. #5 Texas in the Sugar while you have #4 Michigan playing #16 Virginia Tech in the Fiesta Bowl. Then Michigan wins a close game and Texas loses an equally close game. Since Texas lost to #1 in a close contest does that move them over a close win by Michigan over an average Va. Tech squad?

Who is #4 in the playoff matchup? Who decides? Some panel with no transparency?

# 25 ImTellinTim @ 06/22/12 02:26 AM
A great step in the right direction. But with only 4 teams, a human-only selection committee opens this up to way too much bias. With the selection committee setup, the further down we force the "snub" arguments, the better. If that's going to be how it is, I'd like to see it be 16.

# 26 lonewolf371 @ 06/22/12 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
It depends on how it is going to work. I haven't read enough on the subject to know, but if the bowls are set up as a quarterfinal 8 v 1, 7 v 2, 6 v 3, 5 v 4 with the 4 winners advancing to the final 4 I like it.

However, if the bowls roll like they do now with conference tie ins or other automatic formulas where the matchups aren't as described above it could be a real problem.

For example, lets say you have #1 Alabama v. #5 Texas in the Sugar while you have #4 Michigan playing #16 Virginia Tech in the Fiesta Bowl. Then Michigan wins a close game and Texas loses an equally close game. Since Texas lost to #1 in a close contest does that move them over a close win by Michigan over an average Va. Tech squad?

Who is #4 in the playoff matchup? Who decides? Some panel with no transparency?
If both won their conferences, then I would guess Michigan in that case. For these things scoring margin usually isn't considered.

I think we're good with four teams right now. I find it funny how all the pro-playoff people who said the slippery slope wouldn't be a problem are now proposing eight and 16-team playoffs. I'm sorry, but I'm just not that interested. It's not like basketball where you get down to the relevant teams in just a few days.

# 27 Bryzine21 @ 06/22/12 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
You're argument doesn't make any sense. Who cares if the 16th team wins the championship? The possibility of that happening is the whole reason you have a playoff. College football has been a sham for a hundred years. No other sport in the history of the world has had a champion determined by who people "think" is the best team. It's stupid. The only people who are against a playoff are the drones who want to perpetuate the myth that "their team" is the greatest of all time (Ohio st, Mich, Alabama, ect.)...Personally I would extend the playoff to 32 if I had it my way. Probably don't need to go beyond that to ensure the best teams have a shot. If they did that, it would be the greatest spectacle in sports, hands down.

Here's the playoff system:

32 teams make it in - top 16 get a home game played the last week of the season (bottom 16 play on the road)

with 16 teams left, the current bowls bid on hosting those games while leaving the big 4 Bowls (Rose ; Orange ; Fiesta ; Sugar) rotate the final 3 games every year with the odd Bowl out getting their choice of the one of the games in the previous round.

Here's the best part, everyone would make more money. The Bowls, The schools, NCAA, everyone. And we would get a definitive champion. There's no reason in the world not to do it.
32 teams? why not just invite everyone to the playoffs? That would certainly make sure u don't miss the best team. I agree with eagskerfan. I think four teams is perfect but would rather see the top 4 ranked teams go instead of a selection committee.

# 28 eagskerfan @ 06/22/12 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
You're argument doesn't make any sense. Who cares if the 16th team wins the championship? The possibility of that happening is the whole reason you have a playoff. College football has been a sham for a hundred years. No other sport in the history of the world has had a champion determined by who people "think" is the best team. It's stupid. The only people who are against a playoff are the drones who want to perpetuate the myth that "their team" is the greatest of all time (Ohio st, Mich, Alabama, ect.)...Personally I would extend the playoff to 32 if I had it my way. Probably don't need to go beyond that to ensure the best teams have a shot. If they did that, it would be the greatest spectacle in sports, hands down.

Here's the playoff system:

32 teams make it in - top 16 get a home game played the last week of the season (bottom 16 play on the road)

with 16 teams left, the current bowls bid on hosting those games while leaving the big 4 Bowls (Rose ; Orange ; Fiesta ; Sugar) rotate the final 3 games every year with the odd Bowl out getting their choice of the one of the games in the previous round.

Here's the best part, everyone would make more money. The Bowls, The schools, NCAA, everyone. And we would get a definitive champion. There's no reason in the world not to do it.
My arguement only doesn't make sense if you don't appreciate the integrity of the regular season. 5 teams finished in the top 16 with 3 losses last year. The playoff isn't designed to give a cinderella story a shot at a title. It should be designed to pick the top two greatest teams to play eachother. The whole season in the past has been college football's "play-off". If we go with 4 teams for a playoff, it may still work. If you go 16 teams, do you really want to see a 3 loss team play a 2 loss team for a national championship??

# 29 trey2k198003 @ 06/22/12 11:46 AM
i am suprised at the negativity of it.......for the guy who said in the college selection shows how many teams still complain about not getting in....a few do but not many and the ones that do arnt really contenders anyway, this playoff system is pretty much gonna give the tcus the boise states the lil conferences the chance to play in the big time and give them a legit shot at a title. I like that theold bowel tie in are gone. We all love football clearly and who dosent want to know whose the best in the country? not based on some reporters or coaches opinions this is based on what the top 4 teams do on the field.

lets go back to the 2010 2011 season auburn oregon and tcu went undefeated and stanford lost 1 game.....how great would it be to see auburn vs standford and oregon vs tcu and see who comes out on top to play each other for the championship....who knows cam vs andrew luck would have been a hell of a game....and another question on here is why even have conferences with a playoff system? in most other team sports that have a playoff systems there are still conferences, you still have to win youre conferece to even have a shot to compete in the playoffs so yeah there still important.

# 30 Buckeyes_Doc @ 06/22/12 11:52 AM
I like it, it's a start.

I would much rather have the argument of the #5 team being snubbed, then the #3 team being snubbed, and having a repeat of last year, 04 Auburn, etc.

I think the quality of the national championship game will also increase with this system.

# 31 Layoneil @ 06/22/12 01:54 PM
8 teams is enough, and i think this will get us there.

all these people complaining about attendance are crazy, all these games will sell out whether the poorer local fans can make them both or not. people will not hold out for a trip to the big game because if their team loses, they would be holding out for nothing. the big game will probably price itself out from those types of people anyway.

# 32 Perfect Zero @ 06/22/12 03:04 PM
If anybody thinks that the four game playoff will allow the "TCUs and Boise State's" of the world to get in, you're only fooling yourself.

# 33 Chrisksaint @ 06/22/12 03:15 PM
Better then no playoff, just interested to see how it plays out in regards as to where it is played. Enjoyed the current rotation of Title game sites minus Miami but it's a good weather place for football

# 34 mercalnd @ 06/22/12 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
If anybody thinks that the four game playoff will allow the "TCUs and Boise State's" of the world to get in, you're only fooling yourself.
I would think that an undefeated mid-major that makes it to the top 4 in the polls or BCS rankings if they still exist would get the nod from the selection committee.

There's often one such team that flirts with the top 4 at the end of the regular season. Of course, all the teams that did so are now in bigger conferences (TCU, Utah and Boise State) though the Big East might be a mid-major by the time the playoffs actually start at the end of the 2014 season.

I do agree however that this will not automatically put an undefeated mid-major in every time like some would hope.

# 35 jamie1981 @ 06/22/12 04:16 PM
With a 4 team playoff, I don't see too many ACC and Big East (if they are still a BCS conference by then) teams getting into the playoff, let alone mid majors. An 8 team playoff would benefit these kinds of teams. What do you think the lesser conferences are receiving by agreeing to this playoff? They have to be getting SOMETHING.

Sent from my 1983 Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone

# 36 GiantYankee @ 06/22/12 05:22 PM
It's a start. I still think that playoffs should not be for just the elite schools.
Maybe after seeing how it unfolds after 4-5 seasons it turns out to be great?
Just about anything is better than the BCS. The thing that I would change is not have these games tied to the bowls. Seems kinda dumb that a team could win the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl in the same season or win the Fiesta Bowl and lose the Orange bowl in the same season.

# 37 jeremym480 @ 06/22/12 06:37 PM
I dont like it, I love it.

I may be open to a six team playoff with the top two seeds receiving bye's, but I'm really not interested in 16 or 32 team playoffs where we could have a 3 or 4 loss team winning the championship .

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

# 38 sportzbro @ 06/23/12 01:23 AM
It's a start, and I'm just excited that math and a convoluted/criminal system isn't determining the match-ups.

# 39 Perfect Zero @ 06/23/12 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
I would think that an undefeated mid-major that makes it to the top 4 in the polls or BCS rankings if they still exist would get the nod from the selection committee.

There's often one such team that flirts with the top 4 at the end of the regular season. Of course, all the teams that did so are now in bigger conferences (TCU, Utah and Boise State) though the Big East might be a mid-major by the time the playoffs actually start at the end of the 2014 season.

I do agree however that this will not automatically put an undefeated mid-major in every time like some would hope.
The thing is, there are so many teams that have a chance to win it all from the huge conference. I know this is early, but let's take a look at some of the teams from this year and see who would make a hypothetical playoff (these predictions are based off of beyondthebets.com)

Atlantic Coast Champion: Florida State (11 wins)
Big Ten Champion: Ohio State (11 wins)
Big XII Champion: Oklahoma (11 wins)
Pacific Coast Champion: Southern California (11 wins)
Southeastern Conference Champion: Louisiana State (11 wins)
Mountain West Champion: Boise State (10 wins)
Conference USA Champion: Houston (10 wins)

Let's say that Boise State and Houston go above and beyond and win all of their games. If you're part of the selection committee, who do you pick? You go with the teams that draw fans and big ratings.

Right here, you have five teams that fit that bill (and number five is going to bitch about it too). There is no way in this scenario that an undefeated mid-major team is going to jump over a one or two loss team from a power conference. The schedules are in the big conference's favor, as well as the ratings and travel.

It's better to cut the mid-major teams off now and let them have a chance at their own playoff than to drag them along again and be upset about not being in a power conference.

# 40 JayBee74 @ 06/23/12 12:48 PM
Not enough teams-needs 8.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.