Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

Polygon's Samit Sarkar has posted his NBA 2K13 preview, introducing the Control Stick, real-time physics collision system and talking about the improved passing game.

Quote:
Everyone will appreciate the new real-time physics system for collisions, which makes shots in the paint much more dynamic. A player going up for a lay-in can now get realistically bumped by defenders, altering his path through the air — as well as that of his shot. These aren't canned animations for contact; everything depends on the momentum of the players involved.

Another improvement NBA 2K fans will notice is passing, which Visual Concepts acknowledges has been a problem area in the past. "Passing is one of the toughest, toughest aspects of the game," said Jones, and to address it, the team dedicated a gameplay engineer to passing alone. Passes tended to feel floaty, and Jones explained the reason: the game prioritized the appearance of a pass and catch, so it had to keep passes slow in order to ensure that a receiver's hands lined up with the ball's position.

Source - For 'NBA 2K13,' 'accessible' isn't a dirty word (Polygon)

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 SamitSarkar @ 08/10/12 02:34 PM
Hey guys, Samit Sarkar here — I'm the guy who wrote the Polygon preview of NBA 2K13.

First off, thanks for reading! Secondly, I apologize for not explaining the Control Stick/Shot Stick stuff clearly enough. (I followed up and did it in the comments of the article.) As others have clarified, there are two different options: you can either leave the RS for dribbling and use LT+RS to shoot, or leave the RS for shooting and use LT+RS to dribble. In addition, you can still use X/square to shoot. It's all up to personal preference.

By the way, I heard back from Rob Jones and 2K Sports earlier today with a definitive answer: the old control scheme "is not available" in 2K13, so you can't go back to 2K12-style LS dribbling. I have since updated my preview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I don't know what to say. except Hmm. The reporter may have misquoted a few things is all and not sure i should say anything. LOL so Hmmm
If I got anything wrong, I apologize again — please let me know, and I'll correct the article. While I play a lot of sports games, and I'm the sports guy at Polygon, I have to admit that I'm a relative novice when it comes to basketball games because I'm not a big NBA fan (baseball, football, and hockey are all much higher on the list for me). But maybe that's just because my Knicks aren't very good...

# 62 Pared @ 08/10/12 02:37 PM
Nice to see it only took them 2 years to incorporate this:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2040837592

# 63 DBMcGee3 @ 08/10/12 02:45 PM
Kudos to 2k, these are all specific features I have been yearning for over the past few years. It is funny to me how they pawn some of this stuff off as "new" though, especially the right stick dribbling and the manual bounce pass. Either way, very happy to see both things incorporated in this year's game. I won't be so bummed now if Live doesn't pan out. Well done Mike Wang!

# 64 jfsolo @ 08/10/12 02:46 PM
I didn't think that I would feel this way, but as I've been going over it in my mind, I think I like having the Shot stick with the LT modifier instead of dribbling having the modifier. I'd rather accidentally make a dribble move instead of accidentally shooting. LT+RS=Shot will become second nature to me much quicker than holding LT to make moves.

# 65 Mos1ted @ 08/10/12 02:52 PM
Right-stick dribbling has been in NBA 2K for the past few years via control options. But it does seem like it's getting some necessary tweaks to make it more intuitive and enjoyable than before.

# 66 scottyp180 @ 08/10/12 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedus
I think 2K may thank for EA...

EA introduces the freestyle superstar(live06),then 2k13 did it (signature icons)
EA uses R sticks for freestyle passing (live 10)then 2K11 did it
EA uses R sticks for dribble,then 2k13 did it now
EA introduces RTP(Elite),then 2K13 did it now

everything EA want do it ,then 2K make it better

maybe that's why EA do not show anything at this time!!
EA doesn't have bad ideas they just never implement them that well and give up on them too early. The freestyle/right stick dribbling was easily the best thing that Live did and was the reason 2k developed isomotion in the first place. The freestyle passing was actually pretty good as well and I'm hoping that 2k can improve their version to more closely resemble Live's freestyle passing. I did not like the freestyle superstar, it seemed like a way to make players play more like themselves but kind of just gave them unstoppable moves; madden had something similar called the player weapons. I like the idea I just hope players don't get over powered due to these skills. I wouldn't say that 2k stole the RTP from Elite. Most sports games, and games in general, are coming up with some type of physics engine to make the game look, feel, and play more realistically and better.

We also can't really be upset with 2K "stealing" these ideas from EA/Live. Gives us the best of both worlds and makes for the ultimate basketball game.

# 67 scottyp180 @ 08/10/12 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I didn't think that I would feel this way, but as I've been going over it in my mind, I think I like having the Shot stick with the LT modifier instead of dribbling having the modifier. I'd rather accidentally make a dribble move instead of accidentally shooting. LT+RS=Shot will become second nature to me much quicker than holding LT to make moves.
Im thinking that to. Its kind of like a shooting game where pressing LT will zoom or aim down that sights. When playing a shooting game it seems natural to press/hold LT to shoot. I don't think anyone plays a shooting game and thinks "Ugh this pressing LT thing makes no sense!"

# 68 DboyRavage @ 08/10/12 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Im thinking that to. Its kind of like a shooting game where pressing LT will zoom or aim down that sights. When playing a shooting game it seems natural to press/hold LT to shoot. I don't think anyone plays a shooting game and thinks "Ugh this pressing LT thing makes no sense!"
Another great example. People are just overreacting, they will adjust quickly.

# 69 scottyp180 @ 08/10/12 03:10 PM
Quote:
They have a alternate control scheme if you want to do it the other way. I absolutely can not go back to using eft stick dribbling after playing 2k13. There appeared to me to be so much more control.

So if you want you can switch it to right stick left trigger for dribbles and right stick only is shot stick. How ever you want it.
Hey Czar, not sure if you can answer this or not but how does the right stick dribbling compare to Live's freestyle control. I always liked that in Live you always had control of your dribble, meaning that if you were moving the stick then the ball was moving. This is in comparison to 2k where you would have to wait for animations to play out and couldn't switch dribbling hands if an animation was in process.

# 70 Tyrant8RDFL @ 08/10/12 03:26 PM
I love what I'm reading. I'm excited for NBA2k now. Passing was one of my biggest issues, and now with ISo being on the right analog I'm very pleased. I can't wait to get the game. Day one purchse for me unless the demo is bad.

# 71 23 @ 08/10/12 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitSarkar
Hey guys, Samit Sarkar here — I'm the guy who wrote the Polygon preview of NBA 2K13.

First off, thanks for reading! Secondly, I apologize for not explaining the Control Stick/Shot Stick stuff clearly enough. (I followed up and did it in the comments of the article.) As others have clarified, there are two different options: you can either leave the RS for dribbling and use LT+RS to shoot, or leave the RS for shooting and use LT+RS to dribble. In addition, you can still use X/square to shoot. It's all up to personal preference.

By the way, I heard back from Rob Jones and 2K Sports earlier today with a definitive answer: the old control scheme "is not available" in 2K13, so you can't go back to 2K12-style LS dribbling. I have since updated my preview.

If I got anything wrong, I apologize again — please let me know, and I'll correct the article. While I play a lot of sports games, and I'm the sports guy at Polygon, I have to admit that I'm a relative novice when it comes to basketball games because I'm not a big NBA fan (baseball, football, and hockey are all much higher on the list for me). But maybe that's just because my Knicks aren't very good...

We appreciate the article man, great read

Also, sorry fatleg but that hockey control scheme in an nba game would be a mess... I dont want any parts of that in this game

# 72 jersez @ 08/10/12 03:33 PM
It's not even a question right stick dribbling!!!
The only time I used the shot stick, were for finishing shots.
So this control scheme makes perfect sense.

# 73 Chrisksaint @ 08/10/12 03:36 PM
Quote:
Yes moves are on the right stick and they are much simpler to pull off and the last I saw you could still use the button to shoot as well.

So right stick for dribbles and then hold left trigger for shots OR use the button.
Damn that's gonna be nice, thanks for the simple version.

Instant buy off this alone, was my biggest complaint on 2k12 just felt too complicated at times

# 74 jwtucker710 @ 08/10/12 04:07 PM
Any new 2K13 videos?

# 75 jwtucker710 @ 08/10/12 04:07 PM
I mean, actual game-play videos?

# 76 Pokes404 @ 08/10/12 04:31 PM
Anyone know how euro steps will be done then? Will the computer just automatically select a euro step animation in the right situation?

# 77 8KB24 @ 08/10/12 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Anyone know how euro steps will be done then? Will the computer just automatically select a euro step animation in the right situation?
LT+ right stick to left than right and then left. I think Czar explained that one....so Kudos to him.

# 78 Vni @ 08/10/12 04:46 PM
Quote:
I don't know what to say. except Hmm. The reporter may have misquoted a few things is all and not sure i should say anything. LOL so Hmmm

Lol been thinking about this for a while. Do you mean what I quoted is not really what's in the game?

# 79 rudyjuly2 @ 08/10/12 06:34 PM
Really like the move to r-stick isomotion and I love the player traits too.

# 80 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 08/10/12 06:39 PM
PUMPED!!!!!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.