Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

MLB 13 The Show has introduced their all-new Smart Tutorial system, which covers game controls, features and strategy. The system knows when you've picked up on a tutorial and will never show it again (unless obviously needed). All of this is done without interrupting your game. Instead of a pop-up, users will receive a message at the bottom of the screen.

Quote:
The Smart Tutorial system is a new feature that will display needed information, and ONLY needed information based on how you are playing the game without interrupting the game. For example, if you are using the pitch meter for the first time (or not the first time and you are just really bad at it), and you are not properly stopping the meter anywhere close to the accuracy line, the system will recognize your failed attempts and give you a quick message at the bottom of the screen, as the game continues, explaining how and where you want to stop the meter. In total there are over 120 different tutorials that could kick off depending on how you play. And if you see them all, that would be both very impressive and very sad.

Source - Dev Journal: Smart Tutorials (The Show Nation)

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Number2DJ @ 02/12/13 02:07 PM
Nice. Should be helpful since I suck at meter pitching.

Also, I love the new HUD and scorebug, looks great.

# 2 ILiveForThis @ 02/12/13 02:20 PM
I liked the screens better than the Journal itself, but I like the idea. Its subtle but very useful. For us vets that dont need help, it isn't an annoyance but to those who are new to the series, they get an easy, quick tip to help them.

# 3 jmik58 @ 02/12/13 04:19 PM
That's pretty impressive. A game that teaches you about strategy. I can't say as I've ever heard of that before in a sports game.

# 4 LastActionHero @ 02/12/13 05:05 PM
Very nicely done!

# 5 sydrogerdavid @ 02/12/13 05:25 PM
I see they added ivy to that building out in LCF. Some love for PNC.

# 6 ckarlic @ 02/12/13 05:43 PM
Great idea. I like it. Especially this part:

"The reason we went with the Smart Tutorial method is because the last thing you want to do is be bothered by a bunch of alerts about things that you already know."

I already get distracted by the wife and kids when im playing..don't want the alerts to pop up as well

# 7 HustlinOwl @ 02/12/13 05:47 PM
tutorial is perfect for my 9 year old son trying to learn how to play MLBTS

# 8 catch212 @ 02/12/13 06:33 PM
I'm kind of hoping we'll start seeing some different teams in screens soon. We've seen a ton of Pirates, Dodgers, Blue Jays, etc. I realize those were the cover candidate teams and it isn't the point of the blogs, but it's just something I'd like to see.

# 9 Knight165 @ 02/12/13 07:06 PM
I just started my grandson(seven) with playing the Show.

He picked up hitting pretty well with HR derby and he liked it.

Hopefully this and beginner mode will draw him into playing baseball as much as he does Rayman, Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman and Mario Bros.
(unfortunately, due to my poor baseball playing skills....I'll hear how much I suck from him as much with The Show as the titles mentioned above)
"just go in the bubble Grandpa until I finish this level"

M.K.
Knight165

# 10 dazzelle @ 02/12/13 10:39 PM
I really like the look of this, i have never played a baseball game since i think it was rbi on nes (i'm so old) . The last few years i have been thinking of getting this but since its not released in Australia i passed on it. I have a copy on pre order from playasia , Seems like a great time to jump in.

I am sure this game will get me interested in baseball just like madden,nba live/2k and nhl games got me to enjoy those sports over the years.

I always play/support dallas in sports games/real life so i think i might pick the Rangers as my team.

# 11 Qb @ 02/14/13 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrogerdavid
I see they added ivy to that building out in LCF. Some love for PNC.
New grass pattern as well, looks much better. Thanks to thaSLAB and the designer responsible for PNC for getting this done so late in the process.

# 12 Bobhead @ 02/14/13 10:29 PM
Quote:
In total there are over 120 different tutorials that could kick off depending on how you play. And if you see them all, that would be both very impressive and very sad.
Did anybody else find this incredibly hilarious?

Anyway I'm assuming that these tutorials, like Beginner Mode, are available within Franchise Mode?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.