Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

You read that right.

Paul Lukas, aka @UniWatch on Twitter, will be a new addition in Madden NFL 25 when it hits store shelves this fall. Lukas is best known for his work of obsessively looking at the aesthetics of sports, and has a popular blog covering sports fashion and more.

"One of the higher-ups from EA Sports, who says he's a big Uni Watch fan, got in touch with me about 10 days ago and invited me to participate," Lukas wrote on Thursday. "It sounded like fun, so I said yes."

While in the big picture, this is a relatively minuscule addition to the game (and completely irrelevant to people more interested in gameplay) it certainly is interesting that EA is growing their list of faux 'tweeters' within the game. It's likely there are no other connections to other features with Lukas' inclusion within the game. [Kotaku]

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 DeuceDouglas @ 03/18/13 03:26 PM
Hopefully this means they'll fix some of the major (Bears pants) and minor (striped socks having fixed length) issues with each team's uniforms.

# 2 Tsuki @ 03/18/13 03:35 PM
I have a hard time seeing how this makes the game better.

# 3 gerg1234 @ 03/18/13 03:45 PM
Well I'm sold! Sign me up for the new Madden now!

Disclaimer: All points in italics are sarcastic.

# 4 PVarck31 @ 03/18/13 04:23 PM
I certainly won't let this judge how I feel about the game already, but really EA?

# 5 Grey_Osprey @ 03/18/13 04:38 PM
A uniform fashion critic in a fake twitter feed in a football game.....shaking my head in disbelief.

# 6 Danimal @ 03/18/13 04:42 PM
This article made me chuckle.

# 7 CM Hooe @ 03/18/13 04:44 PM
It's a logical iterative step forward for the Twitter feed feature, which catches a lot of undue flak on this board. That the feature is being expanded should be praised.

At the same time, it should reasonably be expected that this is not the only game improvement.

# 8 malky @ 03/18/13 04:45 PM
Seriously???

# 9 cuttingteeth @ 03/18/13 04:49 PM
I was hoping this was a mistaken article from The Onion that someone posted here...but, alas, it is sad truth.

I think the only thing that could make me excited about twitter feeds is if all season long, Richard Sherman would keep violently insulting Skip Bayless.

# 10 TreyIM2 @ 03/18/13 04:50 PM
:-|...............

# 11 BLACKjersey53 @ 03/18/13 04:51 PM
It's still more news than we have for NCCA :/

# 12 cuttingteeth @ 03/18/13 04:51 PM
I just read that EA's CEO stepped down. It'd be funny if this decision for Madden 25 was the reason he may have been forced to do so.

# 13 PVarck31 @ 03/18/13 05:07 PM
If this turns out to be something that makes them pay attention to uniform details to a T, then that's great. I mean what would be the point if they didn't. It would pretty much make them look bad.

I understand the whole twitter thing but Its meh imo. But the thing is, EA just has a penchant for rubbing their core fans the wrong way. And I think this is one of those things.

# 14 mestevo @ 03/18/13 05:18 PM
I expect it's just one variety of twitter users added to that feature to mix things up a little. Tweets will probably have a chance to pop up when teams use throwbacks or use something other than the default.

# 15 cuttingteeth @ 03/18/13 05:28 PM
Here's what really, seriously bugs me per adding the twitter feeds - if I'm not mistaken, to include someone's name and/or likeness in a product for sale, you must pay them. I've never experienced a project where this wasn't the case. Anyway, the point is, that being true would prove once again they are spending money on complete BS that does NOT make the game play any better. It is wasteful spending. It is at the very least a waste of time and resources when it comes to manpower because I guarantee you they had meetings/discussions and then signed contracts as well as the coding that all wasted time making it a reality.

# 16 N51_rob @ 03/18/13 05:35 PM
I don't understand what value this brings to the game. I mean maybe I missed it, but was this an idea on the Game Changers Idea site that got the most votes? Its an out of season announcement so I will take it for what it is, but its becoming clear that I am in no way, shape, or form the target audience that EA is after.

# 17 N51_rob @ 03/18/13 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31

I understand the whole twitter thing but Its meh imo. But the thing is, EA just has a penchant for rubbing their core fans the wrong way. And I think this is one of those things.
I don't think OS is what EA would consider their core fans. They have little to no presence here when compared to other places and they seem fine with that.

# 18 PVarck31 @ 03/18/13 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I don't think OS is what EA would consider their core fans. They have little to no presence here when compared to other places and they seem fine with that.
Oh I know. I just meant in general. The true hardcore gameplay guys.

# 19 CM Hooe @ 03/18/13 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
While on the virtual Twitter topic, who in the hell actually uses Twitter as a main media outlet for NFL info in real life? I understand the in-game tweets are based on the Top stories but they need to focus on fleshing out how to better present those stories and what's going on around the virtual league realistically to the User, other than through complimentary Twitter feeds.
I can't speak for everyone, but I've been on top of the free agency period this NFL offseason (last season as well) primarily through Twitter. I don't have cable television (ergo I don't have ESPN) but I don't need it because I can find out through Twitter what's happening the very instant Adam Schefter / Chris Mortensen / Ed Werder / Jay Glazer / etc. tweets a new story, rather than having to wait for any one of them to produce a dedicated TV spot, ESPN BottomLine update, or a blog post. Internet media outlets such as ProFootballTalk even name-check the Twitter accounts of NFL media personalities when citing sources.

Twitter is indeed a legitimate news source if one knows how to use it, and its inclusion in Madden as a news feed feature is by no means superfluous or extraneous. That's not to say that the Twitter feed alone is satisfactory - CCM needs a transaction log in the worst way - but I think it's a legitimate starting point.

# 20 JerzeyReign @ 03/18/13 07:51 PM
Maybe they'll bring a uni creator or something? Other than that, I can't think of a reason. Hopefully they add about ten more new tweeters that cover more of the league.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.