Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The NCAA has decided today, unilaterally it appears, to not renew their license with EA Sports for the NCAA Football video game beginning next year.

In the statement, the NCAA said, "The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA."

EA should still be able to work out individual school, conference, awards, etc. licenses from the CLC -- which should mean the series should be able to live on. At the end of the day, this is the NCAA taking it's name and logo off of the game, but nothing more it appears. So while the series can't be called "NCAA Football" anymore, perhaps with the ESPN license the series can be called "EA Sports College Gameday 15" next season.

The only way this ends the NCAA Football series altogether is if one of two further scenarios happen: 1)If EA Sports decides it is done with the series altogether, which is doubtful given it's a top seller in the US. 2)If the CLC won't play ball with EA Sports, and thus EA has to negotiate licenses individually from member institutions

It is possible EA Sports will not continue development of the game after this year because of either reason, or because of fears of financial fallout from the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit. However, there is no guarantee EA will face huge financial problems from the O'Bannon lawsuit, and in a sense -- the threat of the O'Bannon lawsuit ending the series is the same today as it was yesterday.

I EA wants to they can continue the game with purely cosmetic changes and greater creative freedom without the NCAA hovering above the game. And let's face it, the less the NCAA is involved in anything, the better it will be.

So in a sense, the only thing different today versus yesterday with regards to the NCAA Football series is that it is no longer the NCAA Football series going forward. Everything thing else remains the same.

UPDATE: Brett McMurphy of ESPN is reporting ESPN has been told EA Sports will still have a college football video game beyond 2014, next year's game will be called College Football 15.

UPDATE #2: According to ESPN's Sports Business reporter Darren Rovell the CLC, which handles school, bowl, awards, etc. licensing, says it plans to work with EA in the future despite the NCAA dropping out.

UPDATE #3: EA Sports Executive Vice President Andrew Wilson speaks. In a statement, Wilson said, "EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans."

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 aholbert32 @ 07/17/13 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
So with what Aaron posted - We could see a college football game from EA next year, it just wouldn't have the NCAA name etc.. attached to it?
Correct. Just like the Bill Walsh years. Only difference is maybe with less teams because licensing costs may go up.

# 142 GisherJohn24 @ 07/17/13 03:07 PM
I do see something in the future. If they can't get the NCAA to endorse, then we'll see a game by someone. Probably not next year, but year after. They need a godo team creator/share feature, and of course the ability to share rosters. Custom sounds, it can work without the NCAA endorsing it. It's a logo that can be created by you (if hte devs gave us the ability) It's too big of a sport to ignore in either sense of the word. I think this is bittersweet news. I'll leave my comment at that.

# 143 kyblueblood @ 07/17/13 03:08 PM
Just more proof the NCAA is dead and one big Super Conference is on the way. Props to Calipari for being one of the first to suggest this. I enjoy playing with the small schools (Western Ky, Toledo, etc.) but the possibilities with one SC outweighs the negatives. Cya NCAA this is what you get for power tripp'n.

# 144 Gosens6 @ 07/17/13 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
they did? I was still wiating for 6 patches to fix all the problems I've noticed so far...
That's nice; You enjoy waiting, and i'll enjoy playing the best game of NCAA football since 06.

I hope you have a great time, "waiting"

# 145 BleedGreen710 @ 07/17/13 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
A couple of problems with that: One APF2k8 was a sales failure so why would 2k want to release another generic football game. Two, EA can still do deals with the conferences which own 99% of the IP (uniforms, logos, stadiums) that people care about.
Yea and a large part of the fact it was a failure is because it had to compete with Madden. If EA Sports doesn't make a NCAA game, 2k could make their own generic college football game with user customized teams and players, and not have to compete with another NCAA title, like APF2k8 had to compete with Madden.

# 146 dsmi155 @ 07/17/13 03:09 PM
It would be nice if at least EA patched in the Playoff format for next season...would suck being stuck with the BCS if indeed this is the last one.

# 147 RebelHog @ 07/17/13 03:09 PM
Selfish people in here. Thoughts and prayers to EA Sports Team who will face layoffs from this. Some things more important than a video game folks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

# 148 FloorGeneral @ 07/17/13 03:10 PM
lol, they have enough problems getting a playable game out in July, and you want them to release one in May? Not likely. Same with the hope that EA will fork over $$ to all of these Universities for an "Un-NCAA" Game. I don't see that happening in an alternate universe, let alone this one.

And to those blaming O'Bannon, et. al: come on. The NCAA has been eating off these guys forever (exploiting their "Amateur" status), and it has really exploded in the last 10-15 years or so. Only thing I'm surprised with is it took this long for someone to stand up and do this. Don't wanna turn this into a "should College "Student" Athletes get paid" thread, cause that's a whole 'nother can of worms, but I don't blame the Plaintiffs one bit in this instance. Of course it's sad that it resulted in this action, but like has been pointed out: it's a business...all about that $$$. Sometimes I guess some of us forget that, and it takes a slap in the face as a reminder.

Edit: after I posted, saw this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIAggie
from EA forum

it's officially done
NCAA Football staff just been told, last day of work for the dev team is Dec. 1

no reason to buy a next-gen system now
Damn.

# 149 DorianDonP @ 07/17/13 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Maybe the sliver lining in this will be that if EA does decide to make a "College Football Game" they will have more freedom. No long will the NCAA be around to take away all the juicy stuff.

Bring back celebrations/suspensions and let me give all of my players tattoos too while I'm at it!!!!
I was just thinking about that. If this doesn't stop EA from making college football games, then the "loss" of the NCAA may be addition by subtraction.

# 150 JoeDog10 @ 07/17/13 03:10 PM
I feel worse for the people that are going to be losing jobs than for myself not being able to play NCAA anymore.

# 151 ItsOrangeBaby @ 07/17/13 03:10 PM
So they can get the contract with all the school, but there will be no use of the NCAA logo at all. I know this might not be much of a problem, but when it come to records and use of end of season awards how would that be work around?

# 152 WVUWILD12 @ 07/17/13 03:11 PM
so upset. NCAA is the only game I really liked. RIP NCAA

# 153 BleedGreen710 @ 07/17/13 03:11 PM
Sucks for the dev team.. they finally make a really awesome game most everybody loves.. and get fired.

# 154 Marino @ 07/17/13 03:11 PM
Aaron this is what I am talking about.

http://www.clc.com/

Perhaps work a deal with CLC, they are the big license player in this. Try to work a deal with CLC and ESPN to maintain their rights. Call the game College Gameday 2015. I am sure with ESPN's backing, certain schools that would have issue with follow due to the revenue it would maintain.

# 155 cdh72469 @ 07/17/13 03:11 PM
I the HUGE picture of real world CFB, just one more reason all the big conferences and schools need to leave the NCAA and form their own organization for rules, regs, post season, etc. Myself and many of my CFB fan family and friends agree, what benefit does big-time CFB get from being a member of the NCAA. They did have the CFA years ago for TV contract negotiations.

The College Football Association (CFA) is the name of a now-defunct body through which American college football schools negotiated TV contracts with networks. The CFA was an alliance of 64 schools formed in 1977 [1] from the major conferences and selected independents.

So why not have all the conference commishes & presidents meet and mutiny against the NCAA? I mean each conference negotiates its own TV deals, etc.

# 156 I3RIS3H @ 07/17/13 03:12 PM
Ouch.
I haven't bought a NCAA game since 2012, but this is still very shocking to me.

# 157 BlueNGold @ 07/17/13 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson

In all seriousness, I feel like I was punched in the gut. **** the NCAA.
You can be the DJ at my funeral.

# 158 richmondn96 @ 07/17/13 03:13 PM
EA...please just release the uniform update that is probably already done or almost done. And if they would release a patch it would make the game sell better

# 159 MrSerendipity @ 07/17/13 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUJabroni97
Well at least Madden will be "extra good" without having to focus on NCAA (which i've always liked better than Madden.) That is, unless the NFL tries to "Pull an NCAA" on us and screw everybody over, including people who make a living developing the NCAA series.
Not really. It's not like EA was splitting the Madden team into two teams, one for Madden and one for NCAA. The Madden team will still be there and might see a few new hires from the former NCAA crowd. But most of them will likely be fired.

# 160 ehh @ 07/17/13 03:14 PM
December 1st eh? So it's officially over. Best wishes to those guys being laid off or transferred.

Hopefully they can release a few patches and give us a bunch of new uniforms. And most importantly hopefully they keep the servers up. If OD goes down then this game is damn near useless to me.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.