Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The Southeastern Conference announced today that it will not, as a conference, license its trademarks in the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. This decision does not involve member universities as of yet, as this only involves the SEC conference name and logo.

However, this could be the type of event that opens the flood gates to future defections from the game. While the future of the College Football series looked somewhat on stable ground after EA and the CLC agreed to a three year deal, this news rattles the very foundations and future of the series.

"Each school makes its own individual decision regarding whether or not to license their trademarks for use in the EA Sports game(s)," the SEC said in a statement. "The Southeastern Conference has chosen not to do so moving forward. Neither the SEC, its member universities, nor the NCAA have ever licensed the right to use the name or likeness of any student to EA Sports."

This is another move in response to the Ed O'Bannon case which could end collegiate video games forever given unfavorable rulings from the courts.

Today's news only brings more questions as to the viability of the product going forward.

UPDATE: ESPN's Kristi Dosh is reporting that the Big XII says they have yet to make a decision on the inclusion of their marks in future College Football video games.

UPDATE #2: ESPN is now reporting the Big Ten is out as well.

UPDATE #3: In a statement to Joystiq, a CLC representative said "150 collegiate institutions, including SEC schools, have approved renewal of the EA college football license, to begin with the 2015 edition. As with any licensed product, individual schools continue to make their own decisions."

We are putting in a question with the CLC on whether this means schools can still opt out of the game at any time or not as the wording certainly seems to leave that possibility open.

Update #4: Jeremy Fowler of CBS is reporting that the Pac-12's marks also won't be in the new game.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Haze88 @ 08/14/13 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite49
Well since EA pretty much stops development on their NCAA/Madden games MONTHS before release, expect College Football 15 to be terrible. They'll be sitting back this entire year waiting on conferences/teams and whether of not to remove them/make new ones entirely. Who really wants a half-assed game with a real team taking on a fake team?
We do that now. I'm killing FCS NW right now! But in all seriousness playing a dynasty with half your conference given the FCS treatment (if your conference was even in the game) would be tragic. The Holy War between BC and South Bend or completing for the Atlantic Conference Championship doesn't quite have that same ring to it.

# 62 xirdneh132 @ 08/14/13 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
Blaming the Players is easy and Lazy?
UCLA provided Ed O'Bannon with a free education, food, and healthcare valued at over $100,000.

ULCA and the NCAA provided a platform for Ed O'Bannon to showcase his talents and provided him with National exposure to build his personal Brand.

In 1995 Ed O'Bannon signed a 3-year $3.9 million dollar contract.

So now it's EA sports fault and the NCAA that Ed O'Bannon squander his riches? And he is trying to get a small piece of something he was already compensated for, but not in the way he wanted it?

it's easy to say pay the players, the NCAA makes money on them. But let me ask you a question. How many ppl on OS could name the top 25 minor league baseball players in this country? Now how man ppl on OS can name the top 25 collegiate football players? The NCAA and it's member university provide these players with unprecedented exposure to build their brands and get a free education. The "student-athlete" has to recognize that opportunity and make the most of it.
By the way, comparing minor league baseball and college players is a horrible comparison. Minor league players may not have the same publicity but they are getting paid, they don't have thousands of rules to follow, they can spend their money how they want, they can invest their money how they see fit, NCAA players cannot. Jadeveon Clowney has created more money for the university than they have invested in him and we can go down the line of players who have made money more than enough to pay for their own scholarships. I don't buy into the idea of student-athlete because it's being naïve because no one outside of a handful of people really care about them as students, they care about how they perform on the field and their scholarship is based upon athletics not academics. Also, their scholarships can be revoked for almost any reason no matter how well they are doing academically. I hope they take advantage of their opportunity but I'm under no illusion as to why they are there and I'm saying that as a former high school teacher who has had a few students get athletic scholarships to universities. I care about them completely because I knew them but even they cared more about athletics than their academics and I definitely know the only reason coaches came around was for their athletic talent. I'm fine with that, it's how the game is played and it still gives them opportunities which is great but I'm not going to pretend college sports is about academics because it isn't.

# 63 BenGerman @ 08/14/13 12:38 PM
This is much worse news, IMO, than when the NCAA decided to drop EA. The SEC is a juggernaut in college football, and if they decide not to come forward and be a part of the game, than I can't really see anyone else doing it. There may be a way around all of this, but for now, this looks an awful lot like the first rock to fall in what might end up an avalanche.

The only fix I see is to move forward and start paying players. At that point, I can't imagine the NCAA or any of the conferences having a problem being a part of EA's games.

# 64 sportzbro @ 08/14/13 12:39 PM
Honestly, I think I'd be OK with a game that allows you to:
  • Delete/Add custom conferences with custom logos
  • Setup a custom playoff with anywhere from 4-16 teams (and choose the tie-ins/locations)
  • Edit existing uniforms
  • Edit existing team names & logos
  • Edit existing field & stadium art

College Football 15 could potentially be the hardcore user's best game ever IF....IF EA gives us the tools to do it. I'd rather have a football game with 130 generic slots with no restrictions and a ton of customizational options, than something thats rigid. Insert TeamBuilder overhaul here. Also, I'm pretty sure Nike, Under Armour, and Adidas would still be around for things like gloves, visors, cleats - not to mention helmet manufacturers.

# 65 aholbert32 @ 08/14/13 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
The only problem I'm seeing with everyone's ideas is that they can't exactly call it the Southern Conference.
Southern Football Conference?

Southern Athletic Conference?

South Conference?

# 66 Duece @ 08/14/13 12:40 PM
The Toronto Raptors should've just let Ed O'Bannon ride the pine for 15 years and then we would not have this problem.

# 67 xirdneh132 @ 08/14/13 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMBrown
I'm sure that's what it is.
That is what it is and if an 18 year has the opportunity to afford a lawyer to look over it the athlete still has no negotiating power, if they want to play college sports they have to sign the contract. A basketball player has a few options if they are really good, a baseball player has the minor leagues, if they get drafted, football players have almost no other options and neither do other athletes and other sports. The mid-level lightly recruited player, who happens to be a late bloomer and turn into a stud, has no other options. It's a case where an 18 year old is at the mercy of the NCAA who has the deck completely stacked against them and not only do they make money for the university while they are there the university has the rights to their image after they have graduated and continue to make money off of them. As I've stated previously, there is a reason the NCAA is losing and they might still win but as more keeps coming out about this case, not to mention all of the other things that have been brought out about the NCAA, the more you see the hypocrisy and greed of the NCAA.

# 68 BenGerman @ 08/14/13 12:42 PM
I'm wondering if EA would have the guts to release a fully customizable game of football. I could see it working for hardcore gamers, but it might be too far of a jump for people who just want to pick up the controller and play.

# 69 GarrettDB8 @ 08/14/13 12:43 PM
so this means SEC schools wont be on future ncaa games?

# 70 TripleCrown9 @ 08/14/13 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Southern Football Conference?

Southern Athletic Conference?

South Conference?
Those would work. They just can't use Southern Conference, Southland Conference, Southwestern Athletic Conference, South Atlantic Conference, Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, Gulf South Conference, Southern Athletic Association, Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference, USA South Athletic Conference, or University Athletic Association.

And those are just the ones with South.

# 71 TripleCrown9 @ 08/14/13 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettDB8
That's not what it means at all. It just means they won't be referred to as SEC schools.

# 72 aholbert32 @ 08/14/13 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettDB8
No it means the SEC logo wont be in future games.

# 73 Husker_OS @ 08/14/13 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
Exactly. It's not an issue until a n individual school pulls out. That might make the dominoes fall.

Other tweet from the same source:

Chris Sanner ‏@ChrisSnr 2m
EA will basically will be using a generic name for the SEC, like "Southern Conference" or something like that. This from peeps who'd know.
Can't use that name, it's trademarked by the actual Southern Conference.

If schools start pulling out of this I'll never buy the game again.

# 74 TripleCrown9 @ 08/14/13 12:49 PM
They could even go as shallow as Southeastern Football Conference, and they would be fine.

# 75 Devlin345 @ 08/14/13 12:49 PM
What about Big South Conference or Pac south

# 76 Devlin345 @ 08/14/13 12:51 PM
big southeast

# 77 TripleCrown9 @ 08/14/13 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin345
Big South is taken, Pac-South makes absolutely no sense.

# 78 Duece @ 08/14/13 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
I'm wondering if EA would have the guts to release a fully customizable game of football. I could see it working for hardcore gamers, but it might be too far of a jump for people who just want to pick up the controller and play.
I don't think so.
EA may shoot themselves in the foot if they do that. People are still playing NFL 2K5 years later because it's a good game with good gameplay and a good fun factor. Let's just say that College Football '15 turns out to have great gameplay and a good fun factor as well as have 100% customization of everything from rosters, helmets, jerseys, pants, socks, outfitters, stadiums, coaches, band-music, mascots (hell even rules).

People may not buy another football game again for years. They'll just wait for the creative kids with boat loads of time to update the uniforms, rosters for each incoming season. That may put a dent in EA's sales..

I could be wrong....but

# 79 Devlin345 @ 08/14/13 12:56 PM
yeah true i forgot pac 12 means pacific 12 my bad

# 80 aholbert32 @ 08/14/13 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin345
Big South is already a conference in real life.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.