Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

The EA Sports Madden NFL twitter account recently had a Q&A session with Designer Clint Oldenburg, as he answered questions about the War in the Trenches.

Thanks to jpdavis82 for the assist.

Will low Awr cost olineman to make wrong reads when targeting pre snap?

This year, physical ratings will have greater impact than intangible ratings up front.

Do holding penalties factor in these new line animations/interactions? Or are they randomly generated?

Holding animations will be slightly increased on Next-Gen.

Does oline Strength counter dline PMOV and Footwork counter FMOV?

Pass Block Rating (PBK) counters both.

what's biggest difference in next gen ?

The QB now must step up into the pocket rather than extend his drop which fundamentally changes the way Madden is played.

will D-lineman "win" more 1-1 battles against lesser rated O-linemen? Or will it be 50/50

Pass rush has been improved and ratings will have a heavy impact on 1v1 battles up front.

how do lineman make their calculations? Closest defender to ball carrier? Inside gap protection?

For pass blocking, O-Linemen calculate the location, speed, direction and angle of pass rushers to the QB.

what does impact blocking mean? And is it better than upgrading specifically run/pass blocking

Impact Blocking = Any block that occurs while both the blocker and his target are moving in the open field.

Will the QB now identify and say who the "Mike" is?

you will see either the C or QB point when identifying the mic, but you will not hear audio.

Will there be times where the o-line miss a assignment like on a delay LB Blitz or overloading one side

Yes, overload blitzes aren't as effective as they used to be but lineman will definitely miss assignments from time to time.

Does o-line block away from hole, so defender gets free if you run where you're not supposed to on runs like a dive outside?

In run blocking, OL will be more likely to block for the design of the play.

Does Madden next gen defese have true run fits and/or gap assignments?

They have gap assignments based on each play they run.

Will HB's pick up blitzes more often? Will lineman be able to report as eligible?

HB's are included in the pass protection. No, all formations in Madden are legal.

Is the snap count a factor in next gen? WIll you be able to draw the defense offsides?

Yup!

Does True Step affect every player or just the ball carrier?

Stay tuned for a Q&A on True Step in the future.

How are PMV/FMV used in calculating while rushing the passer? Does only get used in one play or both?

It's based on that players ratings, traits, and player type.

Will the blind side pass rusher (RDE) be able to consistently get pressure instead of how it is now where the LDE gets the most?

Yes, that's now balanced and ratings will determine pressure.

Will next gen stop the nano blitz?

Nano blitzes are less prevalent and w/ enhanced pass rush you won't need to nano based on the amount of organic pressure.

What determines the missed assignment rate? AWR or PBK or a combo of both?

Targeting is tied to the defense's movement, so physical ratings will naturally have a larger impact in such a dynamic atmosphere.

Will the secondary actually be able to keep up with WR's and play man defense decently?

Coverage has been improved and enhanced pass rush will make the defensive secondary's job easier.

Has blitzing been improved? Is cover 2 a usable scheme now with better pass rush?

Yes, you will feel more heat with blitzes, which also improved all coverages.

Can we adjust protections ourselves and not just slide protection? Can we single out an O lineman to focus on a guy or add help?

When you add a TE and HB to the protection scheme, they will determine targets as well as the offensive line.

Will a lineman break off of his double team to pick up a blitzing linebacker?

Yes, what we call sorting, due to our calculation power in gen 4, they are able to dynamically evaluate threats to the target.

Will certain pass rush animations only be available to players with higher rated PMV or FMV?

Ratings have a very high impact on pass rush animations.

Can you please change the penalty "Clipping" to "block in the back"?

That is a great suggestion and something that's already on our radar. Thanks

Best defense against Vernon Davis?

Nickel strong cover 1 robber but is susceptible to the TE Flag

Will fatigue be a factor? If defense is on the field for long stretches will it impact play?

Yes, when a defensive lineman is fatigued his ratings start to drop.

Will there be more moves for defensive lineman to use on next gen?

There is more defensive line moves and more they will be more effective at establishing a good pass rush.

How will lineman react to 1-3 man rushes? Too easy to get sacks when it's 5 o-lineman vs 1-3 rushers.

When blockers out number rushers you are going to see double teams when available.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Steve_OS @ 10/21/13 02:08 PM
If you have any additional War in the Trenches questions you would like asked, post them here. I'll try to get them to the right people.

# 2 Senator Palmer @ 10/21/13 02:12 PM
Uh-oh... I just saw two answers I reaaalllly liked...

Quote:
@EAMaddenNFL does Madden next gen defense have true run fits and/or gap assignments?

EA SPORTS Madden NFL ‏@EAMaddenNFL 10m
They have gap assignments based on each play they run.

@EAMaddenNFL will the blind side pass rusher (RDE) be able to consistently get pressure instead of how it is now where the LDE gets the most

EA SPORTS Madden NFL ‏@EAMaddenNFL 15m
Yes, that's now balanced and ratings will determine pressure.

Can you ask him these...

Do the safeties properly read receiver releases and play the run better in quarters coverage?

Has the linebacker play been re-done to respond better to draw plays and counters? As it is now, the linebacker takes a huge ice skating step out of the hole on counters right at the snap - even before you can take control - and by the time you do it's too late, you're out of position.

Will the identification of the "Mike" change if you slide your protection?

# 3 TeeDogg @ 10/21/13 02:35 PM
If you snap the ball before the mike is ID'ed does it affect the efficiency of the OL to pick up blitzs ?

Are the DL moves mapped to the right stick such that we are in control of all of them. Using both directional and circular motions? swims, spins, humps,bull rush, etc

# 4 mvb34 @ 10/21/13 03:25 PM
Will O linemen get hurt beside on turnovers or when you sim a game

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

# 5 m1ke_nyc @ 10/21/13 03:26 PM
When O-linemen are sorting and deciding who to pick up do they actually have to see defender bringing the pressure before picking them up ?

# 6 Cowboy008 @ 10/21/13 03:50 PM
I liked the answers he gave but I still want to know more about defense.

# 7 poster @ 10/21/13 03:53 PM
Can a legit defensive line get pressure by themselves, without blitzing, if they are more talented then the offensive linemen they are going against? Doesn't really happen in current gen.

# 8 roadman @ 10/21/13 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Can a legit defensive line get pressure by themselves, without blitzing, if they are more talented then the offensive linemen they are going against? Doesn't really happen in current gen.
Not sure if this answers your question, but appears to.

will D-lineman "win" more 1-1 battles against lesser rated O-linemen? Or will it be 50/50

Pass rush has been improved and ratings will have a heavy impact on 1v1 battles up front.

# 9 poster @ 10/21/13 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Not sure if this answers your question, but appears to.

Kind of. Someone asked if playing Cover-2 was a viable defensive option in the Q&A, and either he ignored or didn't understand what was being asked.

That is why I asked the question. Like anything this dev team says, I have to see it in actual un-doctored gameplay videos to believe it. Hopefully the above is true.

# 10 jpdavis82 @ 10/21/13 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Kind of. Someone asked if playing Cover-2 was a viable defensive option in the Q&A, and either he ignored or didn't understand what was being asked.

That is why I asked the question. Like anything this dev team says, I have to see it in actual un-doctored gameplay videos to believe it. Hopefully the above is true.
He replied during the q&a

Has blitzing been improved? Is cover 2 a usable scheme now with better pass rush?

# 11 dghustla @ 10/21/13 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
[center]
Will low Awr cost olineman to make wrong reads when targeting pre snap?

This year, physical ratings will have greater impact than intangible ratings up front.

I'm excited for this game. But that response is just a SMH moment. This was the perfect chance for the Madden Team to make Awr actually mean something for at least one position group on the field. I wish that signing that UDFA with great physical tools, turned out to be a liability in pass protection and makes me question if his abilities are worth giving up a few sacks or pressures a game. Instead they reverted back to a tried and true Madden philosophy which is physical ratings are the only ratings that truly matter.

That's just a missed opportunity for this team to make players actually feel and play different. I would love to be able to make my opponent account for a guard with low awareness. Maybe next year.

# 12 lsutygurfan @ 10/21/13 04:38 PM
Maybe this is too much to ask, but can you ask him to provide a "Gameplay" video example of the answer, rather than written words?

EA has not exactly been forthcoming with whats been written in the past vs. whats actually "In the Game."

I've kind of grown tired of buying the game, only to find out, Wait, thats not what they said

# 13 friscob @ 10/21/13 04:41 PM
Cautiously optimistic but QB's having to step up into the pocket would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
He replied during the q&a

Pass rush has always been the biggest reason that cover 2 and other zone coverages feel so weak. EA has done it again, they've made me excited for the "next" Madden....

# 14 LovejoyOTF @ 10/21/13 04:48 PM
finally! a chance to really delve deep into war in the trenches, ask some really pressing, interesting questions!
damn, but what can i ask? there's so many different things i want to know.

hmm.
hmm.

WAIT. GOT IT. WHAT'S THE BEST WAY OF DEFENDING VERNON DAVIS?

# 15 roadman @ 10/21/13 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutygurfan
Maybe this is too much to ask, but can you ask him to provide a "Gameplay" video example of the answer, rather than written words?

EA has not exactly been forthcoming with whats been written in the past vs. whats actually "In the Game."

I've kind of grown tired of buying the game, only to find out, Wait, thats not what they said
I really doubt folks that Clint will take time from his busy schedule and capture a video. I know the crowd has turned to seeing is believing, but today, he was hit with a ton of questions and he said he needed to get back to working on the game.

I'm sure there will be more video in the coming weeks.

# 16 Hiro1 @ 10/21/13 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovejoyOTF
finally! a chance to really delve deep into war in the trenches, ask some really pressing, interesting questions!
damn, but what can i ask? there's so many different things i want to know.

hmm.
hmm.

WAIT. GOT IT. WHAT'S THE BEST WAY OF DEFENDING VERNON DAVIS?
Defending elite TEs have been near impossible in the NFL and even harder in madden. I don't have problem with the question. I'd rather a question asking about Dline stunts or something but hey.

# 17 Demoncrom @ 10/21/13 05:33 PM
How about my favorite - will an outmatched CB automatically catch up to the Receiver and get into position to defend a play that they are obviously beat on?

Will actual field awareness actually count this year - as in will the DB have to SEE the ball prior to making a play on it?

Will wideouts who are known to be clutch in REAL LIFE actually catch the ball in traffic this time out?

Also nice to see the QB will ACTUALLY NEED TO STEP UP And climb the pocket - its about time.

Will bump and run be effective at rerouting the WR at the line at least partially or based on stats affording the d-line a bit more time to get to the QB?

# 18 Demoncrom @ 10/21/13 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
I'm excited for this game. But that response is just a SMH moment. This was the perfect chance for the Madden Team to make Awr actually mean something for at least one position group on the field. I wish that signing that UDFA with great physical tools, turned out to be a liability in pass protection and makes me question if his abilities are worth giving up a few sacks or pressures a game. Instead they reverted back to a tried and true Madden philosophy which is physical ratings are the only ratings that truly matter.

That's just a missed opportunity for this team to make players actually feel and play different. I would love to be able to make my opponent account for a guard with low awareness. Maybe next year.
I: guess that answers my AWR questions - bah - physical attributes dont mean crap if your a rook and your you dont know the playbook you should be out of position

# 19 GQVikesFan @ 10/21/13 05:43 PM
Is it me or are the refs missing on the field?

# 20 vabeachboy19 @ 10/21/13 05:51 PM
Can you please ask if interior linemen will "make a pile" in short yardage / goaline defense. Can we have an option to have a d lineman drop down and create a pile at the line of scrimmage. This will give is the true short yardage defense I have been waiting for. This will eliminate fullback dive and qb sneak exploits. Thanks in advance.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.