Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Today 2K released ‘Michael Jordan Uncensored Pt. 2’ video featuring conversation footage with His Airness, in anticipation of the upcoming launch of NBA 2K14 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The video includes dialogue on topics such as Jordan’s reasons for wearing the number 23, his favorite dunks, as well as the historical players he would select to be on his starting five – and why he wouldn’t lose with them on his team.

Some NBA 2K14 next-gen legends and Jordan kicks are shown.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 daveberg @ 11/14/13 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The__Answ3r_i3
are you serious? go play nba live.
What an original response. That canned reply always seems to be the shot guys use when they can't understand that not everyone is happy with the game. It's a little ridiculous.

I don't do Live I'm afraid. I'm a 2k player, but I won't bend over backwards just because the game has shiny new graphics. The game doesn't offer a single mode i'm interested in, Legends have taken a major back seat and further more, most of the gameplay looks pretty much the same as current gen. 60 quid for a game with a few more textures, bells and whistles on top aint gonna cut it.

# 62 A69Scorelord @ 11/14/13 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
What an original response. That canned reply always seems to be the shot guys use when they can't understand that not everyone is happy with the game. It's a little ridiculous.

I don't do Live I'm afraid. I'm a 2k player, but I won't bend over backwards just because the game has shiny new graphics. The game doesn't offer a single mode i'm interested in, Legends have taken a major back seat and further more, most of the gameplay looks pretty much the same as current gen. 60 quid for a game with a few more textures, bells and whistles on top aint gonna cut it.
Then don't buy it.. Its just that simple...

# 63 daystew @ 11/14/13 08:40 AM

looks Like MJ to me. Video was probably from a previous build, if not...still seems as though arm sizes are a patchable error.

If it looks pink, turn down the contrast on your tv? Sheesh.

# 64 daveberg @ 11/14/13 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A69Scorelord
Then don't buy it.. Its just that simple...
I just voicing my opinions. It's a discussion board. Whether I buy the game or not is irrelevant, i'm here to discuss it. It just seems folk tend to get bent out of shape when some of us say we're not happy with how the game is looking etc etc. It's not a crime.

I'd love to be as hyped as you guys, but the things I wanted to see in the game have fallen massively short of my foolish expectations.

Should I pretend to be positive to please everyone here? Or be honest?

# 65 daveberg @ 11/14/13 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daystew

looks Like MJ to me. Video was probably from a previous build, if not...still seems as though arm sizes are a patchable error.

If it looks pink, turn down the contrast on your tv? Sheesh.
Face is fine, body is absolutely horrendous. You could maybe pass that off as rookie MJ at best with that tiny *** frame.

# 66 daystew @ 11/14/13 08:48 AM
D. Rose looked much like that too, I believe the day 1 patch fixes a lot of the odd body issues. Hopefully that includes the GOAT.

# 67 b0ck3n @ 11/14/13 08:49 AM
Quote:
Just awful.

The jerseys are absolutely poor. There should be no excuse, this is next gen and they can't even get jerseys right? Since when have the team names and numbers been so small? MJ's model is completely whack and they still can't manage to fit legendary players with the right accessories.....pfffft.

My complete boycott of both current gen and next gen 2k14 continues.....
Apart from not being entirely accurate, the jerseys in that video were very fuzzy and not nearly as high resolution as the modern jerseys. I'm still holding off judgment until I see it in game, 'cause I'm definitely getting it. The MyGM and revamped MyCareer to me look far more interesting than any mode in games past, and the fact that you can take a legendary team into MyGM should be enough to entice the history buffs.

# 68 VDusen04 @ 11/14/13 08:58 AM
Quote:
I just voicing my opinions. It's a discussion board. Whether I buy the game or not is irrelevant, i'm here to discuss it. It just seems folk tend to get bent out of shape when some of us say we're not happy with how the game is looking etc etc. It's not a crime.

I'd love to be as hyped as you guys, but the things I wanted to see in the game have fallen massively short of my foolish expectations.

Should I pretend to be positive to please everyone here? Or be honest?
I think this is right on. I'm almost afraid of stating my displeasure with any aspect of the game because I know there'll be "then don't buy it" backlash. I'm interested in 2K, just like all of us here, so when some form of information regarding their game comes about, sometimes I feel moved to share my feelings on it - and sometimes those feelings aren't positive.

Specifically on topic, I also agree the legends look to be a step down from the face scanned current players on next gen, but I'd braced myself for that revelation for quite some time. I was happy to hear legends were included in next gen, but the lack of spotlight leading up to release sort of tipped me off that it may be a "status-quo" situation.

And yeah, looking at that screenshot above, I agree with your jersey critique (and obviously the accessories). And I know Jordan wasn't built like a brick house, but I admit he looks a little gaunt in some areas in that screen shot. I'd be interested in seeing a screenshot comparison between current and next gen.

Being a big legends connoisseur, I admit some next gen TLC could have gone a long way toward leaning me in the right direction. Maybe there's still more to come (the old rim detail caught my attention). But if they're more or less just a shift over from last gen to next, it's tough for me to see the reason to upgrade.

# 69 poster @ 11/14/13 09:17 AM
My favorite's were the Jordan IV's with the silver fishnet or whatever you would call that. I almost want to buy a pair again, but I know they are hard to find and expensive.

The body types do look a little off. Hopefully they are tweaked a bit. Good interview.

# 70 spankdatazz22 @ 11/14/13 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I think this is right on. I'm almost afraid of stating my displeasure with any aspect of the game because I know there'll be "then don't buy it" backlash. I'm interested in 2K, just like all of us here, so when some form of information regarding their game comes about, sometimes I feel moved to share my feelings on it - and sometimes those feelings aren't positive.

Specifically on topic, I also agree the legends look to be a step down from the face scanned current players on next gen, but I'd braced myself for that revelation for quite some time. I was happy to hear legends were included in next gen, but the lack of spotlight leading up to release sort of tipped me off that it may be a "status-quo" situation.

And yeah, looking at that screenshot above, I agree with your jersey critique (and obviously the accessories). And I know Jordan wasn't built like a brick house, but I admit he looks a little gaunt in some areas in that screen shot. I'd be interested in seeing a screenshot comparison between current and next gen.

Being a big legends connoisseur, I admit some next gen TLC could have gone a long way toward leaning me in the right direction. Maybe there's still more to come (the old rim detail caught my attention). But if they're more or less just a shift over from last gen to next, it's tough for me to see the reason to upgrade.
Let me be the first to say "don't buy it" then. I really don't get your complaints. It's your right to say the 2K14 offering isn't for you, but you're constantly trying to indict 2K's effort instead of looking at perhaps your standards being too high. Or higher than most, yet you seem unwilling to accept that. This is an extreme example, but if I went into next gen expecting the machines to be able to read my thoughts and they didn't, I can't blame the game makers and developers for not producing the machine/software I expected - I'm simply expecting too much, especially if most people accept what the systems and games are.

It's been said repeatedly: there are no standout, true system-selling games for either the PS4 or XB1 launches. Many of the games being released at launch also were released on the current gen systems. And of those games, it's been widely acknowledged that 2K took what was already a very good game on current gen and made it noticeably better on next gen. Most have said it represents the biggest improvement of any of the games that have a current gen counterpart. Hell, many are saying it's a standout in itself. Given that, if you're still going to complain the effort's not enough for you, then the problem is you and your standards - not the 2K devs effort. If you're going to condemn them, then you're condemning every launch game. Which is the fair way to judge the games imo - not some imaginary "I expected [this] from 2K and didn't get it" sort of vibe that you present.

Again, imo it's no problem you have high standards. But to complain to the level you and some others are is out there. You're complaining about Legend content when there's NO OTHER SPORTS GAME that does legend content to the degree 2K does. You're openly holding them to a standard you aren't holding any other game to.

EDIT: I mean no disrespect btw as you're one of the few posters that will take the time to articulate a position or point of view rather than relying on the "they're lazy/this sucks!" statements. But think you're expecting too much from them here

# 71 Paul316us @ 11/14/13 09:34 AM
I hope we get a new Rockets team.

I hope we get new classic teams.

# 72 MarvinOida @ 11/14/13 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul316us
I hope we get a new Rockets team.

I hope we get new classic teams.
There isn't new classic teams. Maybe DLC, but no new classic teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 73 Paul316us @ 11/14/13 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
There isn't new classic teams. Maybe DLC, but no new classic teams.

45 Michael Jordan!!!! Hakeem's goggles!!!!!

# 74 MarvinOida @ 11/14/13 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul316us
45 Michael Jordan!!!! Hakeem's goggles!!!!!
Nope. 45 can be an edited 95-96 Jordan, Hakeems goggles are stuck on his CF. He stole then from James Worthy.

# 75 Paul316us @ 11/14/13 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
Nope. 45 can be an edited 95-96 Jordan, Hakeems goggles are stuck on his CF. He stole then from James Worthy.

That funny lol

How do you know this? Do you got the game?

I was hoping for a 91 Rockets team, and a new Lakers team.

# 76 VDusen04 @ 11/14/13 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Let me be the first to say "don't buy it" then. I really don't get your complaints. It's your right to say the 2K14 offering isn't for you, but you're constantly trying to indict 2K's effort instead of looking at perhaps your standards being too high. Or higher than most, yet you seem unwilling to accept that. This is an extreme example, but if I went into next gen expecting the machines to be able to read my thoughts and they didn't, I can't blame the game makers and developers for not producing the machine/software I expected - I'm simply expecting too much, especially if most people accept what the systems and games are.

It's been said repeatedly: there are no standout, true system-selling games for either the PS4 or XB1 launches. Many of the games being released at launch also were released on the current gen systems. And of those games, it's been widely acknowledged that 2K took what was already a very good game on current gen and made it noticeably better on next gen. Most have said it represents the biggest improvement of any of the games that have a current gen counterpart. Hell, many are saying it's a standout in itself. Given that, if you're still going to complain the effort's not enough for you, then the problem is you and your standards - not the 2K devs effort. If you're going to condemn them, then you're condemning every launch game. Which is the fair way to judge the games imo - not some imaginary "I expected [this] from 2K and didn't get it" sort of vibe that you present.

Again, imo it's no problem you have high standards. But to complain to the level you and some others are is out there. You're complaining about Legend content when there's NO OTHER SPORTS GAME that does legend content to the degree 2K does. You're openly holding them to a standard you aren't holding any other game to.
Guy, I have to ask, what is this? I have virtually no idea what other next generation games are doing. I generally purchase about two games per year: NBA 2K and a random that caught my attention (GTA, RDR, Dirt 3). As such, I have certain things I'm looking for from 2K and it has absolutely nothing what other games are offering.

Is next gen John Madden Football mostly just a current gen port? I don't know. But does that change the possibility that NBA 2K might not have create-a-player outside of draft class edits and MyCareer? It does not. I am not interested in creating a faux battle between video games. Instead, I'm interested in NBA 2K.

Also, I do not believe I understand your point regarding expectations. It seems as if you're suggesting that because NBA 2K for the next generation has new aspects, it would be expecting too much to express any sort of emotion except complete satisfaction with everything that's being brought forth?

I did not seem clear of your point, so I'm attempting to connect the dots here. Should a longstanding NBA 2K gamer who long favored NBA authenticity and customization see the inclusion of a seemingly corny-movie-based MyCareer and the exclusion of create-a-player and simply conclude, "Yeah, love what I'm seeing. Create-a-player would have been expecting too much."?

I think there's a big difference between unrealistically high expectations (your poignant mind reading example) and having different expectations. I must say, I struggle to see how one could interpret my criticisms as me saying 2K isn't providing effort. I thought I'd been relatively clear since current gen information began releasing that it wasn't so much about effort to me, but direction.

2K for me through the years has always been about realism, freedom, and customization. If the game begins to veer from some of those directions (thinking DeMarcus Cousins mime) why not discuss it on an NBA 2K basketball forum? "Then just don't buy it" does not seem to do a lot for the sake of engaging discussion, similar to if I quoted a post of someone saying, "Man, really like how MyCareer's shaping up" and I just said in response, "Then just buy it."

What is that contributing to the discussion?

# 77 The 24th Letter @ 11/14/13 10:40 AM
Quote:
I think this is right on. I'm almost afraid of stating my displeasure with any aspect of the game because I know there'll be "then don't buy it" backlash. I'm interested in 2K, just like all of us here, so when some form of information regarding their game comes about, sometimes I feel moved to share my feelings on it - and sometimes those feelings aren't positive..
No backlash here man, we just..."get it" at this point....you don't feel the jump is big enough to jump to next gen, you don't approve of the attention given to "fantasy modes" or the use of VC...

You have very well thought out posts, and I can appreciate that...especially around here...but it's kind of becoming a broken record at this point...

# 78 VDusen04 @ 11/14/13 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
No backlash here man, we just..."get it" at this point....you don't feel the jump is big enough to jump to next gen, you don't approve of the attention given to "fantasy modes" or the use of VC...

You have very well thought out posts, and I can appreciate that...especially around here...but it's kind of becoming a broken record at this point...
I appreciate that. I'm in a tough spot. I enjoy providing feedback on this forum, and for the past decade that feedback's been way more positive than negative but now that the game's shifted on me a little bit, I realize sharing negative feedback is not quite as well received. And I suppose that is understandable.

I think I just tend to hear a lot of speak about 2K listening to communities and giving the fans what they want so I suppose a part of my feelings are, if those of us who are not in favor of certain directions opt to stay silent and not provide constructive feedback and thoughts of where the game could go in the future, is there any hope for the change we desire?

For whatever it's worth, I've attempted to stay away from simplistic, blanket statements consisting of only, "2K sucks" or "Not buying." Instead, I've tried to analyze new pieces of information for what they were and then give a thoughtful response specific to the topic. As I said though, it seems the positive feedback just tends to be better received by the community. And again, that makes sense.

# 79 spankdatazz22 @ 11/14/13 12:11 PM
Quote:
Guy, I have to ask, what is this? I have virtually no idea what other next generation games are doing. I generally purchase about two games per year: NBA 2K and a random that caught my attention (GTA, RDR, Dirt 3). As such, I have certain things I'm looking for from 2K and it has absolutely nothing what other games are offering.
not to call you out - but really?

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...otes-2k-2.html

In your defense, perhaps you were only referring to launch games. But you've been complaining dating back to your issues with 2K's perceived direction with the current gen game, now seemingly you have issues about their efforts next gen given your inferring your preference to [whoever makes Sony's baseball game]'s "professional" approach versus what you don't like about 2K's approach.

And again, it's your prerogative, right, etc. to feel that way. I was merely contrasting your opinion versus the reality of the situation. You may prefer to look at things in a bubble or a vacuum and only look at a couple games; imo a more fair way of judging what expectations should be is to gauge these games against their peers - not some arbitrary "this is what the game should be" view that you seems to subscribe to. I'm not saying you can't/shouldn't look at it that way, I was only saying what I thought was fair. Because maybe I'm misinterpreting, but you had no problems commenting/comparing efforts in the thread I noted above.

# 80 VDusen04 @ 11/14/13 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
not to call you out - but really?

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...otes-2k-2.html

In your defense, perhaps you were only referring to launch games. But you've been complaining dating back to your issues with 2K's perceived direction with the current gen game, now seemingly you have issues about their efforts next gen given your inferring your preference to [whoever makes Sony's baseball game]'s "professional" approach versus what you don't like about 2K's approach.

And again, it's your prerogative, right, etc. to feel that way. I was merely contrasting your opinion versus the reality of the situation. You may prefer to look at things in a bubble or a vacuum and only look at a couple games; imo a more fair way of judging what expectations should be is to gauge these games against their peers - not some arbitrary "this is what the game should be" view that you seems to subscribe to. I'm not saying you can't/shouldn't look at it that way, I was only saying what I thought was fair. Because maybe I'm misinterpreting, but you had no problems commenting/comparing efforts in the thread I noted above.
The comment in the linked thread...:
Quote:
Wow, not to sound like a 2K downer, but MLB's blog gave me the feeling I used to get when reading up on a new NBA 2K iteration. Professional, all facts, informative, no hashtags, no obscene build-up
...was entirely in relation to marketing. Thanks to that thread being made on the NBA 2K forum, I took a look at that particular The Show post and really liked its format. 2K has since released some informative blogs themselves, detailing a few of their modes. I liked that as well. However, at the time, that The Show blog was in sharp contrast to a lot of the hashtagging, OMG-ing and heavy-on-the-flash-and-bravado-very-limited-on-the-substance approach 2K had been taking up to that point. Those comments on that particular page had nothing to do with the game creation itself. They were marketing references and preferences.

To go back to my expectations - I still see very little sense in shaping those expectations only through the scope of game-to-game comparisons. Only hypothetically speaking because I haven't really seen any confirmation, but if NHL 14 doesn't have create-a-player, and NBA 2K14 doesn't have create-a-player, how would that make me feel any better about NBA 2K14 not having create-a-player?

I think the disconnect here might be that I'm not very interested at this point in trying to label where NBA 2K14 fits in the realm of rankings and reputation in comparison to other video games. Instead, like every other person here, I just have things I wish to see in the game and at times, I voice those requests.

Now, if they fulfilled my random requests, does that make my expectations realistic? And if they didn't fulfill some of those requests, does that suddenly make my expectations unrealistic? It seems a little arbitrary. Was it realistic to expect Association improvements? Was it unrealistic to expect to retain the ability to fill in classic rosters with created versions of missing players?

Moreover, if information is released that I really like (say, 2K11's classic team reveal), do you not agree I should be able to laud such an addition? In contrast, if information is released I do not particularly care for (MyCareer cut scene movies with NBA mimes), does my critical feedback and personal suggestion for improvement also not have a place on this forum?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.