Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Kobe Bryant signed a two year deal worth $48.5 million, which means he will remain the highest paid player in the NBA over the next two seasons. One has to figure this is LA's last chance to get in on winning an NBA Championship with Kobe as part of the mix.

Big name free agents are coming onto the market, plus plenty of second tier talent. If you were playing as the Lakers GM, would you go after a superstar like LeBron to join Kobe or would you seek to upgrade the overall talent of the team with smaller signings with the limited cap space you have going into next year?

Sound off in the comments below!

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 RedSceptile @ 11/26/13 09:59 PM
John Wall who just signed a max contract...?

# 42 marc_ivan @ 11/26/13 11:08 PM
I agree with many of you above. the players I wanted the Lakers are long gone. Wall, Cousins, George, Favors all extended. I don't believe they should pay max money for a player in their 30's, the exception being Lebron. Which we all know will not happen. I see him taking less than the max to return to Cleveland than joining the Lakers. It's a young mans game, just offer a poison pill contract to one of these young studs and tank the season for a lotto pick. I would over pay for Bledsoe, or offer near max for Hayward/Monroe. I would include Parsons but he has a team option meaning the suns can extend the contract for another year.

# 43 ojandpizza @ 11/26/13 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_ivan
I agree with many of you above. the players I wanted the Lakers are long gone. Wall, Cousins, George, Favors all extended. I don't believe they should pay max money for a player in their 30's, the exception being Lebron. Which we all know will not happen. I see him taking less than the max to return to Cleveland than joining the Lakers. It's a young mans game, just offer a poison pill contract to one of these young studs and tank the season for a lotto pick. I would over pay for Bledsoe, or offer near max for Hayward/Monroe. I would include Parsons but he has a team option meaning the suns can extend the contract for another year.
You mean the Rockets right?

# 44 marc_ivan @ 11/27/13 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
You mean the Rockets right?
yea, the Rockets. I'm not sure how that works if we offer Parsons something similar to what the Rockets did with Lin and Asik to pry them away from their respective teams.

What the Lakers need to do is find a way to retain the bench. We lead the league in bench scoring now, and if they can add at least one max player while maintaining the bench we'll be in good shape. I know the scoring will go down upon Kobe's return, but we need to keep the young players we have. To bad we couldn't get Williams from Minn this week. Sac got him for nothing.

Why not add Rodrigue Beaubois/Kendall Marshall/Scott Machado? Or invite Eliot Williams/Terrance Williams to camp next year.

just like J. Hill or X. Henry, or even Earl Clark last year, some of these guys just need PT in the right system. granted, the players above have had issues with injuries...but we may need to go cheap yet again next summer.

# 45 Jasong7777 @ 11/27/13 08:54 AM
Anybody but Melo. Don't want him anywhere near LA.

# 46 Melbournelad @ 11/27/13 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
next year you bring in Carmello!! and Eric Bledsoe as a pg, plus theyll get a good draft pick.
in 2015 you bring in Anthony Davis as a PF.
Brook Lopez or Roy Hibbert as a big man.

in 2015/16 you can have a starting line up of

Eric Bledsoe
Kobe Bryant
Carmello Anthony
Anothony Davis
and Brook LOpez or Roy Hibbert.
Wait, what? Eric Bledsoe will be a RFA. Anthony Davis has been in the league ONE YEAR. Meaning he won't even be a RFA until 2016. And then he will sign an extension for at least 3 years (no team has ever let a star RFA go, at least in the modern NBA), meaning he won't be a true free agent until 2019/2020.

# 47 Caveman24 @ 11/27/13 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ
I count four Max contracts there. Impossible. Not to mention Lopez and Hibbert both signed long term already and the Lakers have nothing anyone wants in trade

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
He did it on 2k with salary cap turned off get off his back.

# 48 SteelersFreak @ 11/27/13 11:21 AM
They're gonna end up surrounding him with one other great player, some other decent, probably past their prime starters and then a complete **** bench because that's what they can afford.

# 49 ClutchCity @ 11/27/13 12:19 PM
I think Lakers management should go after 2 good offensive rebounder's. I personally don't know who they can actually sign next off season, but it's not looking so well since Kobe resigned instead of waiting until the off season.

# 50 King_B_Mack @ 11/27/13 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
Wait, what? Eric Bledsoe will be a RFA. Anthony Davis has been in the league ONE YEAR. Meaning he won't even be a RFA until 2016. And then he will sign an extension for at least 3 years (no team has ever let a star RFA go, at least in the modern NBA), meaning he won't be a true free agent until 2019/2020.
Don't worry man, it's just Kobe posing as a regular dude to prove his point that fans don't know **** about the cap lol.

# 51 Bornindamecca @ 11/27/13 12:40 PM
Kevin Love is a great choice. He can play in a different area than Kobe. I think Kobe was the most effective player from the post last year, including all positions. Coming back from his injury, that aspect of his game might not change much, since it's more about strength, skill and footwork than jumping ability or explosiveness.

With Kobe and Kevin, you need a PG who can hit 3's and guard his position. A Chalmers-type is fine. You don't need a superstar at the position. For your SF and C, you need guys who can defend the P&R and rebound. A knockdown shooter at the SF position makes Kobe very, very hard to defend, especially since you can't foul him to lower his productivity. Basically, the Lakers can use a modified version of what the Celtics won with.

# 52 bballshawn24 @ 11/27/13 05:26 PM
i find it funny that you can find people chanting MVP at away games for kobe, but as soon as you go online there is non stop haters. This proves they need an age limit on the internet.

# 53 ojandpizza @ 11/27/13 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballshawn24
i find it funny that you can find people chanting MVP at away games for kobe, but as soon as you go online there is non stop haters. This proves they need an age limit on the internet.
Or fans that go to a game for other reasons than just to watch Kobe.

# 54 SteelersFreak @ 11/27/13 10:59 PM
Quote:
Or most people that attend NBA games are bandwagoning chuckleheads who don't know anything about basketball.

# 55 Melbournelad @ 11/28/13 02:43 AM
Quote:
That's ironic, considering the bolded is the type of nonsense a 12 year old would say.

# 56 tril @ 11/28/13 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truzoe
You have no idea how teams are set up and there is a cap they have to follow. Even if that was possible there would be no money to spread around and get a decent bench.
Eric Bledsoe and Anthony Davis arent max contract guys, and most likely wont be. they are good complimentary pieces. I dont know how contracts work, (what ever), but folks are talking about Kevin Love. Lamarcus Aldrige etc. those guys are more Max guys than Anthony Davis (at least not yet).
Hibbert has a player option that year. and Brook Lopez will not be a max guy then either. especially when you have your Deandre Jordan's (team option) and Andre Drummond's (fa) becoming free agents or have the opportunity to opt out in 2015. even Marc Gasol will be a free agent that year.
will they all get max contracts nope.
will the Lakers gladly go over the cap and pay the luxury tax. Yup. they have always done this. this is the Lakers not OKC, Detroit, etc!!!! Lakers are a prime time money making team. and that wont change.

# 57 tril @ 11/28/13 05:50 AM
for folks bashing my scenario of :
Eric Bledsoe
Kobe Bryant
Carmello Anthony
Anthony Davis in 2015/16-(team option) by then he'll want out. so far he isnt proven to be a max guy, and most likely wont be. and if they are still in losing mode then, the Lakers will gladly surrender draft picks-like they have always done

and Brook Lopez 2015 is a free agent- and not a max guy
Roy Hibbert- has a player option in 2015. Lakers have a tradition of signing dominant big men. Dwight was the exception to the rule. you do the Math.
Hibbert is that great dominant defensive BIg Man LA will need.

so yes I do see LA having a line up that consists of Carmello, Kobe and most likely HIbbert. That scenario is more realistic than Kevin Love, Chris Bosh going to LA

In addition, Lakers have traditionally gone over the cap. why would that change. The Lakers are a money making enterprise, and that wont change. they'll gladly pay a luxury tax. IF they signed Dwight Howard that would have still been the scenario. Kobe would have still gotten the same extension.

# 58 ojandpizza @ 11/28/13 06:16 AM
Quote:
Eric Bledsoe
Kobe Bryant
Carmello Anthony
Anthony Davis in 2015/16-(team option) by then he'll want out. so far he isnt proven to be a max guy, and most likely wont be. and if they are still in losing mode then, the Lakers will gladly surrender draft picks-like they have always done

Roy Hibbert- has a player option in 2015. Lakers have a tradition of signing dominant big men. Dwight was the exception to the rule. you do the Math.

so yes I do see LA having a line up that consists of Carmello, Kobe and most likely HIbbert. That scenario is more realistic than Kevin Love, Chris Bosh going to LA

In addition, Lakers have traditionally gone over the cap. why would that change. The Lakers are a money making enterprise, and that wont change. they'll gladly pay a luxury tax. IF they signed Dwight Howard that would have still been the scenario. Kobe would have still gotten the same extension.
Are you serious right now saying Anthony Davis hasn't done enough to prove to be a max contract guy???

# 59 RangersCruz @ 11/28/13 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Are you serious right now saying Anthony Davis hasn't done enough to prove to be a max contract guy???
Umm he has a lot of potential but i agree with him hes not

# 60 RangersCruz @ 11/28/13 10:37 AM
Quote:
Eric Bledsoe
Kobe Bryant
Carmello Anthony

That is just not a realistic lineup at all

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.