Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

MLB 14 The Show had a lot riding on a smooth online experience for users this year, with several new online experiences in the offing giving baseball gamers a chance to have connected experiences like never before.

The problem with that is The Show series has consistently in the past been plagued with online server issues and this year seems to be no exception. A quick perusal through Twitter looking for people's comments on the online functionality yields few, if any, positive comments and reports.

Pasta Padre posted a report on his experiences experiences with regards to online play, with quite unflattering results. His experiences do seem to be the norm within the community though:

Quote:
"That was an hour spent playing a game to its completion with no apparent problems during or after and it was time wasted. In fact the “Franchise Events” page, which lists pretty much everything going on in the league, is riddled with those messages about the games not processing."

Sports gamers have now witnessed two otherwise stellar games hampered with online issues over the past six months -- with NBA 2K14 having major issues with it's online servers and in-game functionality around the 2013 holiday season and now MLB 14 The Show introducing major new efforts with regards to online play which, at least at launch, do not fully function.

This raises questions on why several titles have chosen to focus on online functionality only to have that functionality be non-functional when the game launches -- thus hampering a major selling point of the title. While it is likely The Show will have its online issues fixed sooner rather than later, you have to wonder if the future where online connectivity is emphasized is truly any better than the days where simply putting the disk in and playing local offline games was the norm.

What have your experiences with MLB 14 The Show online been like on PS3?

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 areobee401 @ 04/04/14 01:00 PM
This franchise has received a pass for far too long now for an unplayable online experience. Unacceptable that it is still in issue in 2014. I will be extremely disappointed if the PS4 version has the same issue. Though, I know it most likely will with the game's track record.

# 2 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 01:04 PM
With PS Plus needed for online play on the PS4, come May 6th The Show better work as advertised.

# 3 tolly444 @ 04/04/14 01:33 PM
MLB is suppose to be the Playstation sports game flagship, I hope they get this fixed before the PS4 version comes out. Maybe thats why they delayed the release, work out the kinks with the PS3 version, I hope.

# 4 aguero90 @ 04/04/14 02:05 PM
I hate online play, I'm old school, nothing like having my best friend over and playing together with no lag or anything.

# 5 areobee401 @ 04/04/14 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguero90
I hate online play, I'm old school, nothing like having my best friend over and playing together with no lag or anything.
As you get older it becomes increasingly difficult to get together for a video game. Jobs, kids, life...

I was looking forward to online leagues. For me nothing beats a game of baseball against another human. The one on one battles the sport offers in game is what makes it the best in my opinion. Having not been able to compete in a league since 2K8, I was excited to get back at it.

Online play is not something everyone will use, but online should function properly for any game that is released these days.

# 6 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 03:29 PM
please enough in time for PS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizahowie
We are having server overload issues. We are currently adding more servers and getting them up and running asap. Thank you for you patience and we are working as fast as possible to fix all online issues.

# 7 Chip1010 @ 04/04/14 03:37 PM
I've never enjoyed playing games online, so this doesn't matter to me, but it's still pretty damn inexcusable at this point. My understanding is that online play for The Show has been broken since at least 2009, when I first began buying the game. You'd figure that one of these years they'd put the focus on fixing their online experience rather than concocting another unwanted new mode that maybe 200 people will ever use.

Give me a solid single-player experience and I'm good, and for that reason I'll buy The Show every year on release day, but I truly do feel for those of you who play online. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

# 8 DamnYanks2 @ 04/04/14 03:40 PM
Yea played a few games last night online, both of them got disconnected, the experience was extremely choppy, and at times unplayable. I had to give up pure analog swinging because it was just too laggy, this is my only real disappointment with the show every year, but unfortunately it's a big one.

# 9 TGov @ 04/04/14 03:47 PM
And this is another reason why offline play should have been more of the main focus this year, at least for PS3...

# 10 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
And this is another reason why offline play should have been more of the main focus this year, at least for PS3...
yea they shoulve us just ignored online altogether

# 11 juice2142 @ 04/04/14 04:00 PM
what game has a flawless online at launch? i know this series has struggled with online in the past, but in a few weeks, i'm sure it will be ironed out.

# 12 DamnYanks2 @ 04/04/14 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice2142
what game has a flawless online at launch? i know this series has struggled with online in the past, but in a few weeks, i'm sure it will be ironed out.
This is very true, and it could have been that I played a couple people that had a bad internet connection, or were overseas, or something, but I doubt it.

But it's so frustrating being an online sports player, we are in 2014, and we are still having major issues with this.

# 13 fearwhatnow @ 04/04/14 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
As you get older it becomes increasingly difficult to get together for a video game. Jobs, kids, life...

I was looking forward to online leagues. For me nothing beats a game of baseball against another human. The one on one battles the sport offers in game is what makes it the best in my opinion. Having not been able to compete in a league since 2K8, I was excited to get back at it.

Online play is not something everyone will use, but online should function properly for any game that is released these days.
I'm pretty old (37, wife, 2 kids). I live in UK. My free hours are only the night ones. I love sports videogames. There is no sports videogame the past years that can guarantee a good online experience. I gave up with online. I only have 2-3 hours and they were always ruined either by online "technical" problems or by unknown online "gamers". That's the sad truth about online.

# 14 Chip1010 @ 04/04/14 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice2142
Problem is The Show's online problems are never just at launch. It's not like they have a reputation for cleaning it up and delivering a lag-free experience a few weeks after the game's released.

# 15 cusefan74 @ 04/04/14 07:21 PM
I don't even try to play this game online.

# 16 Ghost Of The Year @ 04/04/14 07:46 PM
I do not play online, has there ever been a good baseball game for online? if not, maybe with timing being so crucial in the pitcher-hitter duel, it may be a long minute before anyone can crack the code on a good online baseball game.

# 17 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I do not play online, has there ever been a good baseball game for online? if not, maybe with timing being so crucial in the pitcher-hitter duel, it may be a long minute before anyone can crack the code on a good online baseball game.
NCAA MVP 06 and 07 were the greatest of all time online

# 18 SVCbearcat10 @ 04/06/14 09:41 AM
I think they are already 0-2 with online play, and the PS4 might make them strike out. They aren't known to have a solid online experience and it seems like that is continuing. Your online franchise isn't part of the year to year file saves, so that takes away from it . They put forth the effort to improve online franchise, even putting in features not making it to offline, but you can't continue it year over year. For those who were going to do an online by themselves just to get those features are out of luck (unless they don't care to use the year over year file saves).

# 19 Knight165 @ 04/06/14 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
I think they are already 0-2 with online play, and the PS4 might make them strike out. They aren't known to have a solid online experience and it seems like that is continuing. Your online franchise isn't part of the year to year file saves, so that takes away from it . They put forth the effort to improve online franchise, even putting in features not making it to offline, but you can't continue it year over year. For those who were going to do an online by themselves just to get those features are out of luck (unless they don't care to use the year over year file saves).
Is it a definite that you won't be able to continue your online franchise in '15?
Those saves are on the server, correct?(I still haven't played online at all....so I don't know the ins and outs for sure)

M.K.
Knight165

# 20 allgames @ 04/07/14 12:29 AM
I can't believe how much worse this game is performing online from MLB 13 THE SHOW. Even with a green connection it's lag, and multiple system crashes. Haven't gotten through a single online game without issues. I'm so upset since I ONLY play online ranked. What did they do???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.