Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Check out the latest MLB 14 The Show video featuring the dynamic batting and fielding cameras in the PS4 version.

MLB 14 The Show ships on May 6th for PS4. Find out more about the game on our official page.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 strawberryshortcake @ 04/22/14 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Its a problem with motion capture, if a guy half-asses it in his mocap session it will be reflected in the game. The devs can artificially speed up the delivery though, I believe a couple years ago they went through a lot of the old windups and added more whip and speed.
That's what I figured..., however, I'd figure during the motion capture sessions, they would have a radar gun in play. Have the motion capture guy throw a 95 mph (or attempt) fastball. And if it doesn't clock over 90 mph, redo the motion capture.

However, my concern stems from not actually seeing any of pitchers in MLB the Show have accurately portrayed realistic follow-through or whip. Most if not all the motion captures for all pitchers seems to have this slow/toss characteristic (maybe I'm mistaken). I wish I could see a properly executed example in the game with any pitcher. Throwing this question into the void: would the developers be inclined to speed up their follow through from this point onward?

# 82 strawberryshortcake @ 04/22/14 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
If you read up on how Madden does their Mo-Cap, (yes, I realize two different companies) but the way they have to do the tech on Mo-Cap is very complex. NOTHING in the video game making process is simple.
I'll have to find out about the Madden Mo-Caps articles later, unless you or anyone else has a direct link to it.

I guess I should bring up other previous video game baseball to illustrate better pitcher's follow through, whip motions, etc. I think most of the pitchers' in Proyakuu Spirits do show a more realistic follow through (e.g. strong follow through, force, speed, strong whip, strong leg kicks, the entire body into the pitch, etc. Pitching is about using the entire body....). Hopefully this shows that it can be done in a video game. The following are just random videos I found on youtube. I was hoping to see a more realistic change in the PS4 versions of the Show.

Skip to the 3:30 mark and onward.

Skip to the 5:58 mark and onward

# 83 nemesis04 @ 04/22/14 05:50 PM
One of those multiple topic threads I see. Lol

# 84 tnixen @ 04/22/14 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I'll have to find out about the Madden Mo-Caps articles later, unless you or anyone else has a direct link to it.

I guess I should bring up other previous video game baseball to illustrate better pitcher's follow through, whip motions, etc. I think most of the pitchers' in Proyakuu Spirits do show a more realistic follow through (e.g. strong follow through, force, speed, strong whip, strong leg kicks, the entire body into the pitch, etc. Pitching is about using the entire body....). Hopefully this shows that it can be done in a video game. The following are just random videos I found on youtube. I was hoping to see a more realistic change in the PS4 versions of the Show.

Skip to the 3:30 mark and onward.

Skip to the 5:58 mark and onward

WoW this game has some really great looking animations. I especially like the catcher animations.

# 85 bcruise @ 04/22/14 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
One of those multiple topic threads I see. Lol
lol, Yeah. I at least tried to keep it on topic when I posted that video by utilizing the dynamic cameras (albeit on the PS3 version), but it's flown off the rails now.

# 86 Blzer @ 04/22/14 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
Well, short typed version..... Madden does their Mo-Cap at a big studio in Canada, then they gotta polish the captures and get the captures to where they want them (functionality wise)... THEN THAT info gets sent to Tiburon down in Florida and THEY work with the info to get the proper action and speed of motion for whatever they're working with for whatever they're trying to do with it.. Needless to say, it's a process. And I imagine the MoCap process for TS and SCEA:SD is no different.
Actually, I seem to remember that their San Diego studios has everything tight-nit, but they are in different buildings. Maybe I'm mixing mo-cap with something else like audio, but they have a whole lot (a center, that is) with different buildings devoted to different areas of the game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.