Home
News Post

Long live hotseat couch multiplayer!

In a report leaked yesterday, both the New York Times and Wall Street Journal reported the FCC was poised to reverse its stance on Net Neutrality.

This decision would allow Internet Service Providers the ability to discriminate web traffic on their networks, allowing certain content to be delivered faster versus other content. While these rules likely won't affect the average internet consumer, users who use a high amount of bandwidth such as video streaming or online gaming will likely see their prices rise as companies have to pay more money in order to be able to deliver their products.

A good primer to read on this issue is straight from Kotaku, which explains the issue and how it could affect gamers.

Do you fear an internet where net neutrality is dead, or are you more hopeful that it won't be so different after all?

Member Comments
# 1 SVCbearcat10 @ 04/24/14 11:18 AM
I question how they can slow down streaming. Let's say I pay for a 30 mps download speed via Comcast. Then they aren't holding up their end of the contract so they could be subject to a class action lawsuit. I think it will end in raising costs.

# 2 HozAndMoose @ 04/24/14 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
I question how they can slow down streaming. Let's say I pay for a 30 mps download speed via Comcast. Then they aren't holding up their end of the contract so they could be subject to a class action lawsuit. I think it will end in raising costs.
You don't pay for 30. You pay for up to 30.

# 3 horrormaster @ 04/24/14 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
There's a reason why all ISPs have a 5 million page ToS full of legal jargon and other nonsense that nobody but a lawyer can understand.

# 4 33repus @ 04/24/14 12:15 PM
I'm optimistic that the people will be out in droves if they do indeed reverse net neutrality.

# 5 Formula1Racing @ 04/24/14 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
The rich get richer... and the small start ups will ultimately suffer, and as a result competition will lessen. Deregulation is basically a license for big wigs to dominate the marketplace, and our choices will become less and less. Those with money will dominate the internet.
I agree. It is getting bad and the future doesn't look bright. Deregulation is never good, look what happen to the financial system back in 08. Why can't these supper rich corporations leave things alone!!..More $$ is never enough for them.

# 6 mjarz02 @ 04/24/14 01:07 PM
It's all about money. Corporations use the unsustainable model of increase in profit each quarter or year and those increases have to be higher than the previous one. I believe net neutrality will not impact a majority of users or they won't be able to connect the dots. This will only lead to more money for ISPs. People who are frustrated with their service will upgrade and high end users will be forced to pay a higher cost as well. Cable tv is losing subscribers and they need to counter that cost. I wouldn't be surprised if we get to the point where they start charging fees to websites so users can access their content

# 7 Formula1Racing @ 04/24/14 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
Yup. And this isn't to say that I'm a proponent of broad government regulation either. But at least with government regulation we can see what they are doing and make sure they are protecting individual rights and freedoms (as opposed to protecting corporate interests). However, when your enemy lurks in the shadows, like corporations, they thrive on deregulation. Like a cancer their only goal is to spread and stamp out competition. Regulations that support INDIVIDUAL rights/freedoms and foster competition and consumer/employee rights are always needed... to level the playing field!

CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE!... Support small start ups and Individuals! Rights & Freedoms belong to them and them alone.
100% completely agree with you. I couldn't have said it any better!. Excellent points!

# 8 ps3veron @ 04/24/14 04:05 PM
Like the Kotaku article stated online gaming doesn't actually pull that much bandwidth. I am able to play BF4, NBA 2K and FIFA all on a 1Mb connection with no lag. Online gaming does not create more constraints to the overall bandwidth infrastructure.

Streaming on the other hand is a huge bandwidth monster. Services such as gaikai and netflix will eat up bandwidth but not gaming. I am trying to look at this in a positive light and maybe, we might just get developers hosting more dedicated servers further alleviating bandwidth traffic on the consumer end?

# 9 Josam27o7 @ 04/25/14 06:30 AM
This is the natural outcome of unfettered capitalism. I suggest everyone check this out -- Economist Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" is now the NUMBER ONE book on AMAZON. Incredible that a 700 page book on economic analysis would be the number one selling book. It details a fundamental flaw in the capitalist system that is dooming us all.

# 10 IlluminatusUIUC @ 04/30/14 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
Like the Kotaku article stated online gaming doesn't actually pull that much bandwidth. I am able to play BF4, NBA 2K and FIFA all on a 1Mb connection with no lag. Online gaming does not create more constraints to the overall bandwidth infrastructure.

Streaming on the other hand is a huge bandwidth monster. Services such as gaikai and netflix will eat up bandwidth but not gaming. I am trying to look at this in a positive light and maybe, we might just get developers hosting more dedicated servers further alleviating bandwidth traffic on the consumer end?
Gaming does not eat bandwidth but it does require extremely consistent service. Netflix buffers so if the connection slows down for a bit, in theory, you've already pre-loaded the next few seconds so it can continue uninterrupted. In a game, if it abruptly stops or slows down for 10 seconds then you are dead, scored on, or disconnected entirely.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.