Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

Da_Czar has checked in with this new NBA 2K15 video, featuring the evolution of the freelance offense, part 3.

If you missed them, here is part 1 and here is part 2.

Lyrics and beats by @SageInfinite and @_RobDavis, respectively.

Watch the video and post your thoughts.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Da_Czar @ 10/03/14 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Czar,

Dropping heat as usual. What did you decide to give the Warriors as default freelance?

I think what Cleveland will be next and I have no idea after that

1. Spurs Motion
2. Heat Pace and Space
3. Knicks/Golden State Triangle
4. Motion/Princeton Cleveland
5. 4out 1 Stan Van Gundy ?
6. 3out 2 ?
7. Maybe a special Euroleague one
Still I didn't get to fancy with the other teams as far as freelance. Most will have the 3-2 a few teams have the 4-1 and fewer teams are set to default. That means the team has a perimeter 4 man on the floor they will go 4 out and if not they go 3-2.

I rewrote the 3-2 but we just didn't have time to do the 4-1 so in that sense it is the weakest one of the bunch but still more than functional. They AI is best in one of the other ones.

So I believe I have Cleveland the default with Love.

As I mentioned previously once someone makes it so freelance isn't the same for everyone it really makes it obvious that there should be more.

But the AI only goes into freelance when the plays breaks or if the coach call plays slider is lower. So it isn't that huge of a deal for teams who lack a defined system. But it's not as noice playing with a team who doesn't have a unique freelance either.

We will have to watch them this season and see what they actually do on the floor. As I mentioned we scouted their new coach in summer and in his last year in euroleague.

# 62 Da_Czar @ 10/03/14 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Czar, wow!

So you eliminated all old plays or did you just input some of them into new system and gave them more options or better continuity? From your scouting did certain teams (let's use PNR as an example) get let's say more side pnr actions as opposed to top of key pnr's because that's what team likes to do rather than they run high pnr per game so you just gave them a bunch of pnr' from all over?
No I literally deleted them all. Every last one of them except the Out of bounds we ran out of time so I could only edit those.

If there are similar plays it is because I watched that team run that play enough in the games I scouted to include it. There is literally not a single play copied over they were all done from scratch.

As such I was able to unify the naming scheme across all era's so you can compare types of plays and how they have changed in spacing and execution over the years. We go all the way back to the 60's.

I scouted by "star" player first and worked my way down. So whatever Lillard ran for pick and roll and where-ever he ran them is what I took. In general the Play-Types for stock plays are more well filled out Like Pnr's etc.

So for the blazers the majority of their plays you see in game are for their main scorers if your a 12th man and had a specific set ran for you unless it was also ran for 1-7 we probably didn't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Will we see less plays this year as opposed to last few years? In last few years I know there we're plays that we're virtually the same play with different names in 1 teams play book. So, a team would have 3 pnr plays at top of key with really no difference in them except different players in specific spots.

I loved in 1 of the videos I saw a screen the screener action into pnr. I know this was in with a few sets in previous versions but the execution seemed 1000x better and more realistic by ai!

Did all 30 teams get the same love? How many plays per team do we get? Still 50? Also, you said not a whole lot of love to classic teams play books? Does this mean you didn't have time to scout them like you would like or just didn't get to them all together? I have said in past but classic play books needed a ton of work as each team just had 10-18 plays with most being ISO plays and nothing like what they used to run irl. Is this something you will be looking to dive deeper into in the future?
The plays per team varied on what we were able to get. Team with the same coach as last year are much better scouted then teams with new coaches for obvious reasons.

We scouted summer league for teams with new coaches but they run a lot of generic actions most times and their summer roster is obviously different than their reg season roster but every reasonable effort was made to get them as accurate as possible.

We requested ability to update plays and the plan was to scope preseason and update but that didn't make the cut.

As I mentioned we created and used a unified naming scheme so for the major part each play should be unique excepting for similar actions in similar locations but with different players like a 34 fist and a 24 fist could be the same action in the same place but with different players.

as for the classics it is obvious they were not the priority so when I did get to them I couldn't give them the same amount of time I gave the current teams so That limited how deep those will be.

I didn't want to fill them out with generic plays because then My OCD would make me rescout them next year when I might have forgotten what was made up and what was scouted.

So they are absolutely authentic but I will continue to add to the base of them as I get time every year. Just understand that part is a labor of love.

Some teams though you would scout 3-4 games and only see the same basic sets' you start looking at the clock like. Aight man run a dam off=screen play PLEASE LOLOLOL. I need 3 off=screen plays HAHAHA.

So everything that could be done in the time available was done fam.

I did it like I know you would do it for me if I was waiting for the game to drop. Still improvements needed everywhere I absolutely understand that but I know I gave it all I had regardless if anyone else even likes what was done.

If yall wanted to start a thread on custom plays for the classic for 16 I would not turn my nose up at it. I Just want them authentic so you have to show them in game for that team.

# 63 vannwolfhawk @ 10/03/14 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
No I literally deleted them all. Every last one of them except the Out of bounds we ran out of time so I could only edit those.

If there are similar plays it is because I watched that team run that play enough in the games I scouted to include it. There is literally not a single play copied over they were all done from scratch.

As such I was able to unify the naming scheme across all era's so you can compare types of plays and how they have changed in spacing and execution over the years. We go all the way back to the 60's.

I scouted by "star" player first and worked my way down. So whatever Lillard ran for pick and roll and where-ever he ran them is what I took. In general the Play-Types for stock plays are more well filled out Like Pnr's etc.

So for the blazers the majority of their plays you see in game are for their main scorers if your a 12th man and had a specific set ran for you unless it was also ran for 1-7 we probably didn't bother.

The plays per team varied on what we were able to get. Team with the same coach as last year are much better scouted then teams with new coaches for obvious reasons.

We scouted summer league for teams with new coaches but they run a lot of generic actions most times and their summer roster is obviously different than their reg season roster but every reasonable effort was made to get them as accurate as possible.

We requested ability to update plays and the plan was to scope preseason and update but that didn't make the cut.

As I mentioned we created and used a unified naming scheme so for the major part each play should be unique excepting for similar actions in similar locations but with different players like a 34 fist and a 24 fist could be the same action in the same place but with different players.

as for the classics it is obvious they were not the priority so when I did get to them I couldn't give them the same amount of time I gave the current teams so That limited how deep those will be.

I didn't want to fill them out with generic plays because then My OCD would make me rescout them next year when I might have forgotten what was made up and what was scouted.

So they are absolutely authentic but I will continue to add to the base of them as I get time every year. Just understand that part is a labor of love.

Some teams though you would scout 3-4 games and only see the same basic sets' you start looking at the clock like. Aight man run a dam off=screen play PLEASE LOLOLOL. I need 3 off=screen plays HAHAHA.

So everything that could be done in the time available was done fam.

I did it like I know you would do it for me if I was waiting for the game to drop. Still improvements needed everywhere I absolutely understand that but I know I gave it all I had regardless if anyone else even likes what was done.

If yall wanted to start a thread on custom plays for the classic for 16 I would not turn my nose up at it. I Just want them authentic so you have to show them in game for that team.
Love it! Great job czar! Can't wait to check it out! I especially love you got it where teams and players like to run their plays from areas on the floor they run them irl. Great authenticity! Super excited for what you have done! Thanks for reply...

As far as classics like 87 lakers and 96 sonics go I have a ton of videos of them in action! I could go pretty in depth with both those teams. Although lakers you could probably just overload 15 punch, 13 punch, ISO 3, and mouse all game and done. Lol! Maybe once game drops we can start a thread for everyone to research classics and work together..

# 64 basehead617 @ 10/03/14 07:45 PM

# 65 RubenDouglas @ 10/03/14 08:16 PM
Wow. This is where it's at. MYPARK, MY CAREER, TEAM UP, or any of that online playing mess brings zero excitement to me.. But this right here. This right here is magical

# 66 vannwolfhawk @ 10/03/14 08:43 PM
Czar,

Did you get a chance to get any transition offense or secondary break in? Or does freelance kick in on fast breaks? Any logic behind wings running floor or bigs?

Any flex action after horns entry plays?

Elevator screens?

Also, can or will you be adding plays to teams throughout the year (existing plays currently in game/not new plays) if you see them run something during the season? And are play books tied to rosters again? Not sure this has been confirmed yet. Same question for freelance offenses being assigned especially for the new coaches after having more time to scout them. Will you change this during year on the back end?

I'm also hoping a workaround for leagues will be to allow us to add plays to a roster for each league member then upload the custom roster with the changes to the play books in it. Any idea here?

Last thing and I asked it earlier, can we as user do dribble handoffs? Is there a button configuration that will do this like hold down pass button or something?

# 67 thedream2k13 @ 10/03/14 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
Wow. This is where it's at. MYPARK, MY CAREER, TEAM UP, or any of that online playing mess brings zero excitement to me.. But this right here. This right here is magical
This stuff applies to online leagues and quick matches as well .

# 68 mango_prom @ 10/03/14 08:55 PM
Quote:
Still I didn't get to fancy with the other teams as far as freelance. Most will have the 3-2 a few teams have the 4-1 and fewer teams are set to default. That means the team has a perimeter 4 man on the floor they will go 4 out and if not they go 3-2.

I rewrote the 3-2 but we just didn't have time to do the 4-1 so in that sense it is the weakest one of the bunch but still more than functional. They AI is best in one of the other ones.

So I believe I have Cleveland the default with Love.

As I mentioned previously once someone makes it so freelance isn't the same for everyone it really makes it obvious that there should be more.

But the AI only goes into freelance when the plays breaks or if the coach call plays slider is lower. So it isn't that huge of a deal for teams who lack a defined system. But it's not as noice playing with a team who doesn't have a unique freelance either.

We will have to watch them this season and see what they actually do on the floor. As I mentioned we scouted their new coach in summer and in his last year in euroleague.
Cool stuff. Amazing what you guys did in one year.

1) What's the reasoning behind setting teams to 3-2 or 4-1 instead of default, where the AI is choosing the appropriate set depending on the PF anyway? Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds more logical to me to simply give them both options.

2) Any chance the ability to change freelance sets for CPU teams gets added later on? Would be nice to experiment with different styles for current teams and especially in fantasy drafts. I mean as beautiful as the Spurs motion and triangle look...it's kind of a waste imo that we can only watch the CPU use them with one specific team. Would be awesome to have everything available for any team. Is there a game design reason for hardcoding freelance sets?

3) Is Pace&Space limited to the Heat and Euro teams? Sounds like the closest approximation available for Carlisle's offense imo, so maybe the Mavs should get it as well?

# 69 stillfeelme @ 10/03/14 09:30 PM
Quote:

Czar,

I am impressed man. I guess we on the outside of the game making world don't realize how big of a task this all is. I think the attention to the playbook is just as impressive as the freelance system in my eyes. You basically rewrote all the plays to try to make sure that they are not breaking and were as authentic to the team as possible with the amount of teams you could get in with the amount of time you had. I can't ask for anything more than that. Can't wait to get my copy to dig into this game.

# 70 lgxjames @ 10/03/14 10:13 PM
Looking good. I'm really looking forward to this game.

# 71 jaateloauto @ 10/03/14 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I think what Cleveland will be next and I have no idea after that
On the topic of Cleveland: what the plays have really lacked up to this point is a good way to get stretch 4's involved in other ways than being spot up shooters. In 2K14 Kevin Love barely got used when I played his team in the finals, the AI doesn't really get him any good looks, even in the post (and in my sliders post play tendency is 100).

If it hasn't been yet addressed that's something I'd like to see in 2K16.

For now, triangle offense looks great as do the other new freelance options. Really awesome plays are getting a good revamp this year. The spacing looks great compared to least year as well. And I'm wondering if we might see the return of Horns 1..

# 72 Melbournelad @ 10/03/14 10:23 PM
Outstanding, can't wait to run the triangle with the Lakers.

# 73 lgxjames @ 10/03/14 10:36 PM
curious here because I'm not aware...What offense does Stan Van Gundy run?

# 74 tyberious4now @ 10/03/14 10:38 PM
Czar,
I am impressed with your work Good job...Ohhh 2k Czar needs a raise ASAP!!!

# 75 Smirkin Dirk @ 10/03/14 11:54 PM
What is the difference between a flex offense and a swing offense?

Ive always been taught they are the same thing

# 76 Real2KInsider @ 10/04/14 12:07 AM
Quote:

I wish marketing would have given game-play a bit more shine but it is what it is.

LOL Chris secretly reps Arcade Nation

# 77 vannwolfhawk @ 10/04/14 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
What is the difference between a flex offense and a swing offense?

Ive always been taught they are the same thing
They are different but very similar. The flex is a continuity offense that utilizes back screens and is a timing offense. The basic flex has 3 guys (triangle) on 1 side of floor and 2 on the weak side all spaced. There are tons of quick hitters or variations you can run out of the flex though. But the basic flex has set rules and you can run it with either down screens or back screens.

The common areas between both is they both always have a triangle on the strong side and both are a 4 out 1 in offense. They both also have all 5 players that can end up on the inside and outside in all positions on the floor. The original set up is a bit different and spacing is a bit higher in the swing offense though. In the swing you will see back screens, flares, and weak side interchanges a bit more as well as more ball screens.

Both have continuity and some same basic principles and can look the same depending on reads or calls you make within the play itself. Though somewhat similar in areas they are also very different. You could also say the same thing and see some common areas with the triangle too depending how you run it.

Edit: here is a link of basic motion offenses and you can see the basic differences between the two... http://www.hoopsu.com/basketball-pla...-offense-sets/

# 78 raiderphantom @ 10/04/14 12:18 AM
Looks great. I'd just like to know if it's implemented into old gen as well or was it omitted?

# 79 vannwolfhawk @ 10/04/14 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
LOL Chris secretly reps Arcade Nation
Definitely a little bit of cheese in his game. Lol

# 80 gamingsinceatari @ 10/04/14 12:23 AM
Im posting this in here cause it seems like there are REAL hoop heads in here.

All the new categories in the player's ratings was posted earlier and im trying to figure out what they actually mean.

PnR Defense IQ
Help Defense IQ
Pass Perception

I have an idea about them but not 100% sure. Does a high rating PNR defense IQ mean you won't get caught up on the pick as much? Does Help defense IQ mean determine how quick you help on defense? And what about Pass Perception, does that control if you will be good or bad at intercepting passes?

If anyone has an idea please let me know what you think?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.