Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

While the face-scanning tech can work really really well (see our thread for some great examples of it working right) it also can create beings of a sort that will give you nightmares for weeks.

We're talking Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Left For Dead type of grotesque here. A team full of these 'things' is probably a viral video waiting to happen.

To get a proper Facescan, you have to carefully follow the on-screen instructions while ensuring you have proper lighting. A lack of either can result in some really messed up situations.

I hope you sleep well tonight.

Update: Some are asking how to scan your face properly. Here's a great video from ipodkingcarter showing you how to properly scan your face.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Tybudd @ 10/07/14 09:28 PM
Guys, the most important lighting is right in front of you, remember the camera is only focusing in 1 direction which is straight ahead, you are providing the angles by going left to right.

If you have an unbalanced amount of light (natural window light from 1 side, and a lamp light from the other sided), it will lose track of your face.

But don't expect that you can use a flashlight, the light that is in front of you has to have a broad angle, and try to direct it into your face.

After I did this, 3 hours later, I was able to get counts of 4000, 4 consecutive times, and before, I didn't even get 2000, and it was telling me I had a problem with my scan.

Also, if the camera if losing your face, its due to not enough lighting, or u are drifting in and out of focus, I have a big face so 6 to 12 inches was too close, my scans only came out at a distance of 18 to 24 inches, huge difference from the directions.

# 42 CujoMatty @ 10/07/14 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybudd
Guys, the most important lighting is right in front of you, remember the camera is only focusing in 1 direction which is straight ahead, you are providing the angles by going left to right.

If you have an unbalanced amount of light (natural window light from 1 side, and a lamp light from the other sided), it will lose track of your face.

But don't expect that you can use a flashlight, the light that is in front of you has to have a broad angle, and try to direct it into your face.

After I did this, 3 hours later, I was able to get counts of 4000, 4 consecutive times, and before, I didn't even get 2000, and it was telling me I had a problem with my scan.

Also, if the camera if losing your face, its due to not enough lighting, or u are drifting in and out of focus, I have a big face so 6 to 12 inches was too close, my scans only came out at a distance of 18 to 24 inches, huge difference from the directions.
my experience is the opposite of this. I had light in front and it wouldnt read my face until I took the light away. also it wouldnt read my face until I got it 6-12 inches away. I honestly think from reading up on it that people need to figure out what works for them.it seems to vary.

curious are you using kinect or ps4 camera? im using ps4 camera so just curious if its the format were using that would give me complete opposite results as you.

# 43 CujoMatty @ 10/07/14 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCFClemson
my scan wasnt awful but im still struggling with number of points should I go faster or slower wtih my head turn?
I went ridiculously slow. I also held it once I got to the left for a few seconds before I turned it right.

# 44 FedExPope @ 10/07/14 10:50 PM
Someone should aim their butt at the camera and show the result.

As in, what the face scanner comes up with, not asking to be mooned lol.

# 45 aylmer1981 @ 10/07/14 11:14 PM
Does the ps4 camera work better on the face scan?

# 46 CujoMatty @ 10/07/14 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylmer1981
Does the ps4 camera work better on the face scan?
I dont know for sure because ive only tried ps4 but it sure seems like it from what im reading. maybe tomorrow ill go rent the xbox one version and try it and post my findings.

# 47 Sinner @ 10/07/14 11:24 PM
Starting to think I'm not going to be able to use this feature, 7 time I've tried and each time there are 2 mouths. Last one I got 3,528 but there was still 2 mouths. Have the kinect stacked at eye level. A few times I've done it and got booted to home screen.... I'll give it a go tomorrow but I'm not expecting much.

# 48 aylmer1981 @ 10/07/14 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
I dont know for sure because ive only tried ps4 but it sure seems like it from what im reading. maybe tomorrow ill go rent the xbox one version and try it and post my findings.
Do PM me. I have the Xbox one version and the facescan is not working out. Thinking of trading it in for the ps4 version and picking up the ps4camera.

P.s I am from the "6" (tdot) as well

# 49 Scvllp @ 10/07/14 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
Starting to think I'm not going to be able to use this feature, 7 time I've tried and each time there are 2 mouths. Last one I got 3,528 but there was still 2 mouths. Have the kinect stacked at eye level. A few times I've done it and got booted to home screen.... I'll give it a go tomorrow but I'm not expecting much.
If you have two mouths or extra eyes then you aren't keeping your head steady. You need to keep your head level and turn slowly. Do not hold the camera out in from of you. Keep the camera stationary.

# 50 CujoMatty @ 10/08/14 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylmer1981
Do PM me. I have the Xbox one version and the facescan is not working out. Thinking of trading it in for the ps4 version and picking up the ps4camera.

P.s I am from the "6" (tdot) as well
hopefully I have time tomorrow. if I do ill definetly let you know. im actually from Saskatchewan but we dont have a whole lot to cheer for here but being Canadian Raptors and Jays kinda won by default lol.

# 51 blgray317 @ 10/08/14 07:11 AM
It definitely took me about 30 mins to get it all the way together. Skin tone was too light but I was pleased with the outcome. People all up in arms about taking the game back I've got 1 word, 5 letters. R-E-L-A-X

# 52 CujoMatty @ 10/08/14 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkiii
EA did it right by allowing people to use three pictures and plot points manually. This is a cool feature but far more advanced than what most people will understand.
Agreed. face scanning in a closed environment with techs and what not doing them works. getting people to do this at home with so many different variables such as lighting, distance, head movement, and lets be honest, in some cases just plain ol human stupidy and you had to know this wouldnt go smoothly. EA Game face isnt exactly easy or without problems either. I had to photoshop my beard off in order to not have a white face and a black neck in Fifa. Also with game face skin tones are way off.

# 53 Kentucky_Wildcat23 @ 10/08/14 09:07 AM
I found that I had to shine a flashlight from my iPhone onto my face while it scanned to get the best result. Only issue after that is the 2K servers went down and I lost my face scan after over an hour of trying.

# 54 Sinner @ 10/08/14 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scvllp
If you have two mouths or extra eyes then you aren't keeping your head steady. You need to keep your head level and turn slowly. Do not hold the camera out in from of you. Keep the camera stationary.
Yeah kinda figured it was user error but on that last one I just new I was steady enough. Maybe I'll sit the Kinect on top of the tv where I can stand and be a little more steady. Even with the problems I'm having it's still a nice and welcomed feature. Just hope I can get it working right.

# 55 Ritch211 @ 10/08/14 10:09 AM
I had no trouble. Did it on first shot. Waited till the day when natural light was coming through the windows. And held a piece of paper below by neck to help give more light. The trick I think is to move SLOWLY and only about 30 degrees left and right. Lighting is the real factor I think.
Mine turned out better than I could have thought possible. Good luck guys.

# 56 xrobbyh14x @ 10/08/14 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritch211
I had no trouble. Did it on first shot. Waited till the day when natural light was coming through the windows. And held a piece of paper below by neck to help give more light. The trick I think is to move SLOWLY and only about 30 degrees left and right. Lighting is the real factor I think.
Mine turned out better than I could have thought possible. Good luck guys.
Yep, that's exactly what I did in the tutorial i did and got 6500 first shot.

# 57 twogotwingz3 @ 10/08/14 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBoySykk
This Damn kinect camera won't read my face unless im far away & my shoulders end up in the box but it always ends up putting my eyes down by my nostrils & so on. Frustrating!
EXACTLY!!! The Kinect is a dumber camera than I thought!! My Kinect doesn't even read my gestures! and I put a spotlight in my room to brighten everything and used natural light from the window!!

# 58 sticks323 @ 10/08/14 08:33 PM
It's hard to get the best lighting because there is nothing telling you that you have great lighting. Some ppl have the light but then their face is way too light. They needed a better instructional video and it is frustrating when you start the scan and you barely move and it loses your face. I finally got a human face but I had less than 3,000 reference points. The tutorials help but there is no perfect science to it.

# 59 WarlordZMaster @ 10/08/14 10:16 PM
There are too many variables at play to get a good scan. I got it to work okay, but the lighting in my gameroom is not great so the face ends up looking bruised and discolored.

# 60 kainomac @ 10/08/14 10:18 PM
I'm struggling to even get the green window to come up!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.