Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Shopmaster has chimed in again this week with some more Madden NFL 16 CFM impressions. After talking about confidence, regression, dynamic drive goals, new hub and much more last week, he talks about scouting and drafting this week.

Quote:
This year EA has overhauled the entire scouting process. No more are you going through the entire draft class unlocking the attributes of your choice for a letter grade and then unlocking them again to see what the actual overall for that attribute is. This year ‘Scouting Points’ only unlock a player’s top 3 attributes, with the 3rd unlocked attribute revealing that player’s true draft value. When you first go into scouting you are presented with a list of players sorted by projected draft value. You can press a button to get more details about that player and unlock the attributes or you can unlock the attributes right from the list; which is very convenient for those who just want to spend their points before the week advances.

Still no draft board, so while you’ve scouted all of these players, there is still no way to focus in on the guys you really want when the draft starts. This was extremely disappointing because it’s something the community has been wanting for a long time (ever since Madden 10). I understand that they want to get it right, to the point where you can set up your draft board and the CPU will be smart enough to draft for you, but I’d be happy with a band aid right now because sometimes that clock ticks down so fast and there was a reason why you wanted this 5’10 WR over the 6’3 one but you can’t remember what it was without looking at his combine stats and unlocked attributes again. Give us the ability to flag the guys we really want, like our top 10.

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 jeremym480 @ 06/12/15 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgriffin10
80-85th% of draft class scouted??? That is way too easy.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
I'm hoping that is just an arbitrary number and not close to the percentage that you can actually scout. I mean, M15's scouting system was far from perfect, but it least it took some strategy.

If that number is correct and let's say that I have a good, young QB. Personally I never waste scouting on kickers, punters, or fullbacks because usually I can find one in Free Agency.. So, in theory, shouldn't I be able to get the True Draft Value on pretty much every other player in the draft or at least close to it? If so, that doesn't seem to rewarding.

# 42 kehlis @ 06/12/15 02:58 PM
This is very very disappointing to hear. Not at all close to the improvements we were told were coming.

# 43 saybur @ 06/12/15 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step2001
Edit Draft Class - Because Schefter has audio on specific players in the draft, I would think that alone would cancel out editing.
I don't see why this should be an excuse not to allow us to edit. The draft is the last time you'll hear that players name. The in game commentary doesn't announce the names of players who were not on the initial roster file. ...even tho NCAA 14 managed to have audio of every last name of generated players.

# 44 N51_rob @ 06/12/15 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I'm hoping that is just an arbitrary number and not close to the percentage that you can actually scout. I mean, M15's scouting system was far from perfect, but it least it took some strategy.

If that number is correct and let's say that I have a good, young QB. Personally I never waste scouting on kickers, punters, or fullbacks because usually I can find one in Free Agency.. So, in theory, shouldn't I be able to get the True Draft Value on pretty much every other player in the draft or at least close to it? If so, that doesn't seem to rewarding.
Well if you figure that you have solid starters at other positions, so lets say you are set at QB, WR, Safety, OLB and Interior OL. You now are only going to scout 4-6 positions and you can literally have a grade for every player at those positions.

I can't speak for others, but in Madden 15, given how scouting worked, I would usually scout 4-5 positions completely and then a few guys at other positions. Seems like this system would make that strat so much easier.

Too me this system is/will be "broken" if guys with 4,5,6 round inital grades are gone before the 3rd round when everyone sees their "true rating".

# 45 SolidSquid @ 06/12/15 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480

I look at this, I use my scouting points based on need first and there's usually only 4-6 positions I need in any one season but for the sake of this argument let's say I have 11 positions of need. If what shop said is true I will know the true value of every player at all 11 of those positions that's absolutely unacceptable.

# 46 jsteele14 @ 06/12/15 03:12 PM
I am not as negative on the changes as most others seem to be but below would be an achievable and really cool draft system in my opinion.

You have a scouting department, Maybe 2 people. Each member has positional strengths and weaknesses. As the coach or owner, I am able to direct each member which area I would like them to focus on. By focus I mean spend twice as much time on that position than other positions. Later in the season I can designate individual players I want them to focus on. That way I have some input. I can change the focus at any time. The scouts do their work each week and information on each player starts arriving. Alongside each player is a "Time Spent Scouting" indicator. As the scout spends more time with the player, the more reliable the information provided. That way I will have information on most players but some information I can be more confident in than other info. Scouts are graded based on their accuracy. Given the different amount of time for players, there would be a big negative rating for being wrong on a player heavily scouted and much less negative for being wrong on a lightly scouted player and vice versa.

You can hire and fire scouts after the draft with the accuracy rating determining the level of pay. That seems like a pretty good way to solve all our issues.

# 47 Potatoes002 @ 06/12/15 03:35 PM
Hey JP, quick question about the combine results. Does that fastest 40 time ALWAYS mean that player has the highest speed in the draft? Does the best vertical ALWAYS mean that player has the best jumping? Or is it something like that player is in the top 5% or something for that category?

# 48 The JareBear @ 06/12/15 04:06 PM
Unfortunately I think this comes as no surprise.

Its clear that "ease and accessibility" are a couple of EAs main priorities outside of gameplay. I'm trying not to reference "casual gamers" but you know what I mean.

I guess a silver lining could possibly be that maybe this helps the CPU draft better? I dunno, grasping at straws here

# 49 N51_rob @ 06/12/15 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom zoom
I thought you were out?

I hate, hate, hate to stupid minigame required to tok figure out who to draft. The more streamlined, the better. what it seems like is that EA figured out no one was using their convoluted systems, and made it more accessible.

I guess you can blame the boycotters, or the fact that if there really are a ton of sim guys paying, they lie about actually scouting.

I am out. Does that mean I can no longer engage the conversation?

# 50 charter04 @ 06/12/15 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Do you guys think the way scouting was in M15 was realistic? Where you knew every players attributes prior to the draft? Do you feel like you should know everything before the draft about a player and then there's no other factors to create risk for drafting them is simulation? The way it is now you don't know all their attributes and there's the risk they perform poorly at the combine no matter what the scouting grade shows. The draft Shop had is not the be all end all for how it works and not only that, they can still tune all of this before the game releases to make it more challenging.
I never knew every attribute before the draft. If i scouted like that then I would have only had like 10 players scouted.

I didn't like that scouting system at all. Too tedious. Ain't no body got time for that.

I like the new scouting better because of the combine numbers. that's more realistic. I also like that only key traits are shown but, I wish they were more team specific to your scheme. Like if some like high run block for WR's or CIT. It should let you pick the top 3.

Also we should have skills that we can unlock in our coach to have more accurate info in our scouting.

The thing I don't like is the true value thing. This is silly. It's Ea's attempt to hand hold the user too much.

Also the fact that they didn't include a draft board is terrible. Yet another year were I will have to do too many things outside of the game itself to enjoy it.

Everything I need to enjoy the game fully should be in the game or in a site ran by EA that adds to it.

# 51 jfsolo @ 06/12/15 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
Unfortunately I think this comes as no surprise.

Its clear that "ease and accessibility" are a couple of EAs main priorities outside of gameplay. I'm trying not to reference "casual gamers" but you know what I mean.

I guess a silver lining could possibly be that maybe this helps the CPU draft better? I dunno, grasping at straws here
Shop's draft would seem to go against the CPU drafting better theory, but that is just one draft though so we'll see. It's interesting though because I felt like the CPU drafted well in 15. To get a lot of guys that I really wanted, I was having to draft players 2 or 3 rounds before their projected round because the CPU kept beating me to the punch.

And yes, it's 100 percent clear that ease and accessibility is a core tenant through out every aspect of the game now. I can live with it, but I see how it's a deal breaker for others.

# 52 charter04 @ 06/12/15 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step2001
Edit Draft Class - Because Schefter has audio on specific players in the draft, I would think that alone would cancel out editing.
I don't think that has anything to do with editable draft classes. You could import ncaa classes in Madden 25 for 360 and they just didn't say any names. It worked just fine to use a outside draft class in cfm then. Should be the same now.

# 53 ggsimmonds @ 06/12/15 06:40 PM
"One draft I drafted the #1 overall ranked player; WR 86OVR, a 83 OVR TE, 83 OVR DB, and a 77 FS. Those were my first 4 picks and my first 3 all had SS dev traits."

From the article he had 5 drafts and in two of those he did not even bother scouting. So actually 3 drafts and he managed this kind of draft??

Edit: Oh and the instant notification of a draftees overall is the exact opposite of what us sim guys have been wanting.

# 54 howboutdat @ 06/12/15 06:41 PM
Quote:
Definitely more excited than disappointed. The big thing is like Shop said, you lose points for not scouting and that punishes you when it's draft time. I didn't scout very much and my best player was a 84 P in the 5th round, and that was only because one of the guys told me about him because he scouted him. Other than that I don't think I had one gem on my team.
So who exactly was more excited than disappointed? The casual fans they let test it out? To me this whole, "you have to scout every week or lose points" is not for 32 user leagues.Most people in leagues together , have lives outside the league and dont normally have much time after an hour long game to spend making sure they scout every single week , so they are not at a disadvantage against those who do.Once again EA forcing you to play the way they want us, or you get punished. Most people in a 32 man league , waited until the offseason to scout, because they had more time to put into scouting then since they werent having to play hour long games.This allowed them time to actually scout well. We have lives outside of madden, seems that dont count in their thinking at all.

Quote:
Do you guys think the way scouting was in M15 was realistic? Where you knew every players attributes prior to the draft? Do you feel like you should know everything before the draft about a player and then there's no other factors to create risk for drafting them is simulation? The way it is now you don't know all their attributes and there's the risk they perform poorly at the combine no matter what the scouting grade shows. The draft Shop had is not the be all end all for how it works and not only that, they can still tune all of this before the game releases to make it more challenging.
You clearly didnt play cfm much in madden 15. I never EVER knew every players attribute prior to draft. As a matter of fact i NEVER knew any actual number grade for anyone i scouted in madden 15.On top of that , i sure as heck couldnt scout 85% of the draft either.So you statement above makes no sense other than trying to make it seem like you could do any of that you mentioned above in madden 15 so this new system will seem better. Its not. None of that is at all factual above dealing with madden 15. Because we could pick what attributes we wanted to personally scout , based on our own desires for what we were looking for in a player( like in the real NFL) , there was a much larger chance guys would be overlooked and you could gamble on waiting on them until later rounds to pick them up. Thanks to the new system this will not be the case.How do i know? from the facts about the new scouting ive already heard, and actually knowing ,from experience as a commish how it works with having 32 player leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
JP cmon man. You can scout their "true draft value" now, is that any more or less realistic than how scouting was in 15? Atleast in 15 players could be their own scout and unlock the attribute that were important to them and what they looked for at certain positions. The hand holding in madden this year is ridiculous

This is what kills me, they trying to make this sound like they making it more realistic , by making us only see a few of their best attributes.Instead of giving us the option to look for what we are actually looking for in rookies for our team as we plan to build them. In real life, NFL teams dont just look at a players best 3 attributes. Sometimes they are looking for someone of a certain skill in a particular area. To fit how they want to build their team. This is taking that option out completely. As you said, this hand holding is flat out ridiculous.

# 55 DeuceDouglas @ 06/12/15 06:43 PM
Quote:
I don't think anything that makes you pick and choose who you scout is realistic. I understand it's a game and that there's supposed to be some kind of "risk/reward" in who you choose to scout. But like I said, it's a game and not real life where you have a pool of like 3000 guys you could possibly be scouting, there's maybe like 300.

With M15 though, I felt like I could make it more realistic by just scouting letter grades for attributes relevant to the position and getting a general overview of what the player was but still with some mystery surrounding them. And it feels like that's the direction they may have been trying to head but went way too far and then tried to make up for it with the "true value" which is my biggest issue.

I wouldn't mind the true value as much if that was the sole projection system and the CPU based their selections off of it rather than the arbitrary projections that now are pretty much completely meaningless. It just seems like, to me, you basically scout one attribute, know basically nothing about a player. Scout another attribute, know a tiny bit more about the player. Then scout the last attribute, and you still barely know anything about the player but you now know exactly where he falls in terms of the class without really knowing very much about him at all. The old system gave you the freedom to look for what you wanted and base your scouting off of that. Now it just seems like you're either playing a guessing game by scouting two attributes or knowing exactly what you're getting by scouting three which doesn't make any sense to me.

Obviously this is the way scouting is going to be for this year but I really hope it doesn't last like this for any longer. If they were going to tweak it, I'd either get rid of the ability to scout true value or get rid the actual projections altogether and make sure the CPU drafts more based on the true value than those projections like the User would. There is no such thing like a "Diamond in the Rough" player with this system. Hopefully this gets tweaked before release or they are able to maybe at least get the option to use last years scouting instead.

# 56 ryby6969 @ 06/12/15 06:43 PM
The one thing that I really liked about scouting on Madden 15 was the fact that the letter grades could have huge disparities in actual ratings so even if a player had all A or B ratings he could be anywhere from average to great. Unless you actually spent the points to see you had to just hope. It was not a sure thing and I like that.

# 57 ggsimmonds @ 06/12/15 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryby6969
The one thing that I really liked about scouting on Madden 15 was the fact that the letter grades could have huge disparities in actual ratings so even if a player had all A or B ratings he could be anywhere from average to great. Unless you actually spent the points to see you had to just hope. It was not a sure thing and I like that.
Exactly. I had a house rule where I never unlocked the numerical values and it made scouting and drafting much better.
I drafted a RB with A in spd, agi, and acc only to find out his speed was 88 and his agility was 89.

He wasn't a bust because he was still a productive back for me, but he was a disappointment.

I think knowing the draft value removes the potential for busts.

# 58 MajorSupreme @ 06/12/15 06:57 PM
Quote:
That's not how it worked at all. Hell, even if you managed to save up all of your scouting points to the offseason, trying to completely scout one rating (number value) for one player takes almost all of your points. You wouldn't know all attributes prior to draft, that's silly. Was it perfect last year? No way, but it's probably one of the best we've had.

# 59 jpdavis82 @ 06/12/15 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
That's not how it worked at all. Hell, even if you managed to save up all of your scouting points to the offseason, trying to completely scout one rating (number value) for one player takes almost all of your points. You wouldn't know all attributes prior to draft, that's silly. Was it perfect last year? No way, but it's probably one of the best we've had.
Look forward to seeing how people feel about scouting once they actually are able to do it for themselves.

# 60 ggsimmonds @ 06/12/15 08:16 PM
Quote:
Look forward to seeing how people feel about scouting once they actually are able to do it for themselves.
Sorry man but scouting ain't gameplay lol

It is not one of those things that may not look good but feels great when you play.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.