Home
News Post

During last week's Gamescom convention, GameSpot interviewed Electronic Arts' chief operating officer Peter Moore. For sports fans (especially those owning a PlayStation 4), the most interesting part of this discussion came when Moore was asked if Electronic Arts had any plans for bringing the surprisingly successful EA Access program to Sony's system.

Quote:
"Let's switch to EA Access, which a lot of people think offers a good deal.

Peter Moore: I think it offers a great deal.

Do you still want to see EA Access on PlayStation 4?

Peter Moore: Doesn't matter. It's on Xbox One, and those customers love it. We have analytics on everything these days, and subscriber satisfaction rates are through the roof. EA Access customers get to play more, because of the Vault, they get to play early, ahead of general release date, and they get to pay less because of the discounts it offers.

So, consumers love it. It's doing well. If you expand to another console, business will be even better, right?

Peter Moore: But it's not. It's on Xbox One.

I'm curious about what you're saying. Is this part of a deal with Microsoft now?

Peter Moore: It's on Xbox One-

[Interrupting] Do you want to talk about this?

Peter Moore: Well Sony talked about it, ask them [laughs]. There's not much left for me to say."

Moore's last line is a reference to Game Informer's infamous quote from an anonymous Sony representative who claimed that, "We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer."

The "value" of a $5-per-month subscription ($30 for the year) was certainly questionable when Sony made its original statement on July 30, 2014. But as EA's downloadable game vault has been expanded to include the entire EA Sports catalog, and the company's pre-release trial period has been extended to 10 hours, EA Access has arguably become a better value for sports gamers than Sony's own PlayStation Plus program.

Sony's PlayStation 4 was the clear choice of a new generation when it and the Xbox One debuted during 2013's holiday shopping season. But since most sports titles look and play similarly on each console, and Xbox One owners finally have a good hardball option in Super Mega Baseball, I have mostly run out of reasons why I would recommend a PlayStation 4 over an Xbox One to someone looking for the best place to play console sports games (sup, Rocket League).

Member Comments
# 21 jb12780 @ 08/17/15 02:35 PM
I can already see where this thread is going...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

# 22 ultralow36 @ 08/17/15 02:57 PM
@jb12780......looks like a i hate EA and i love sony thread..........microsoft hate incoming....

# 23 chrisphil1724 @ 08/17/15 04:18 PM
I think I know the real reason EA Access is on the Xbox One and not the PS4 yet. It's because EA is using the "Friend Share" features that were made for the Online DRMed Xbox One. An exciting part of the online DRMed Xbox One was a feature called "Friend Share". This feature would let any 10 selected friends play or "borrow" the full version of any game you owned for a pre-selected amount of time, set by the games publisher. After your time had expired, you would have to buy the game to continue playing. Sound familiar yet? This is the same system used to give all EA Access members, timed or unlimited access to selected EA games.

Sony does not have a system in place to manage digital rights to this extent in the PS4, nor do they want to pay to develop those themselves.

# 24 iLLWiLL @ 08/17/15 06:21 PM
I'm happy with my PS4-only. While I would love if EA Access was brought to the console, it -- and even EA's games having minutely better graphics (color) on XB1 -- certainly is not enough for me to plunk down another $400 for another system. (The only other game of interest to me is Forza 6.) And rather than spending an additional $400 to play EA games five days early, I think I can exercise some patience there.

Oh, and as a major sports gamer, one of the reasons I went with PS4 was because of The Show -- decision I never regretted.

# 25 man_u_treble @ 08/17/15 07:20 PM
If they ever expanded the Vault games to include much older games I would think about it.

Fifa World Cup 2002
MVP Baseball 2005
MVP NCAA Baseball 06 or 07
Fifa World Cup 2006
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14
NCAA Football 14

If they included any one of those games, I would probably purchase the EA Access.

# 26 KennyJ1976 @ 08/17/15 09:14 PM
I can think of a couple of reasons to own a PS4, over Xbox-one for sports gamers right now. PES 2016, no image importer on the Xbox-one and Super Mega Baseball on the same level as MLB The Show, come on now.

# 27 SmashMan @ 08/17/15 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisphil1724
I think I know the real reason EA Access is on the Xbox One and not the PS4 yet. It's because EA is using the "Friend Share" features that were made for the Online DRMed Xbox One. An exciting part of the online DRMed Xbox One was a feature called "Friend Share". This feature would let any 10 selected friends play or "borrow" the full version of any game you owned for a pre-selected amount of time, set by the games publisher. After your time had expired, you would have to buy the game to continue playing. Sound familiar yet? This is the same system used to give all EA Access members, timed or unlimited access to selected EA games.

Sony does not have a system in place to manage digital rights to this extent in the PS4, nor do they want to pay to develop those themselves.
And because EA went to both Sony and Microsoft and Sony declined. Sony actually came out and said that they didn't think it offered enough value for the PS4 owners. Whether they actually believe that or just want to limit competitors to PS+, this is what it is.

# 28 Gilley @ 08/17/15 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_u_treble
If they ever expanded the Vault games to include much older games I would think about it.

Fifa World Cup 2002
MVP Baseball 2005
MVP NCAA Baseball 06 or 07
Fifa World Cup 2006
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14
NCAA Football 14

If they included any one of those games, I would probably purchase the EA Access.
That would be amazing. MVP Baseball would have me hooked.

# 29 scottyp180 @ 08/18/15 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
I'm happy with my PS4-only. While I would love if EA Access was brought to the console, it -- and even EA's games having minutely better graphics (color) on XB1 -- certainly is not enough for me to plunk down another $400 for another system. (The only other game of interest to me is Forza 6.) And rather than spending an additional $400 to play EA games five days early, I think I can exercise some patience there.

Oh, and as a major sports gamer, one of the reasons I went with PS4 was because of The Show -- decision I never regretted.
Is the whole "EA games have better color on Xboxone" fact or opinion?

# 30 mestevo @ 08/18/15 11:41 AM
Last year this single handedly took the wind out of the sails of any remaining #ForTheGamers momentum they may have had remaining from launch.

I purchased Dragon Age because of the trial and played more sports games this year than I ever have as a mostly superstar-mode player.

EA Access has been much more valuable than the games provided by both Games with Gold and PS+ with the exception of Rocket League.

# 31 iLLWiLL @ 08/18/15 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Is the whole "EA games have better color on Xboxone" fact or opinion?

FWIW ... an OS poster (behindshadows) said he did a direct comparison, using the same video capture hardware/software, and the colors are more accurate/vibrant on XB1. He posted some screen caps of Jabari Parker in NBA Live 15 and the difference was noticeable. (He also mentioned 3D crowds in FIFA15 are better on XB1.) He thinks it's because of Microsoft's partnership with EA ...

# 32 Khanchus @ 08/18/15 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picci
I'm glad people find EA Access worth it and enjoy its benefits. But for me? No way.

EA Access launched Aug 11, 2014. For a yearly subscription of $30 (which would be the smart move) you get exclusive rights to 8 games. Mainly, EA sports lineup. Since then, 6 additional games have been added to the vault. Glancing at the list now, Dragon Age Inquisition would be most likely a good get since I've never had it. All the other games in the vault are just not worth it especially with the new sports lineup coming up now for football, soccer, hockey, and basketball. But guess what? It's that time again for that $30 renewal fee. EA smartly started this campaign at the best time for gamers to fork over money just when all their new sports games are about to hit the market. And Dragon Inquisition for $30 as a get now? Again, no thank you.

EA giving gamers a choice? They didn't release a FIFA World Cup version for next generation because they felt it wasn't worth it. They've taken CPU vs CPU control out of Madden because? They've taken player editing out of NBA Live because?

Now I will give credit when credit is due. Madden was a pleasant surprise last year and I'm excited for it this year. Disappointed with latest news on Live but seeing progress. They gave PS3 gamers a huge sale for games such as Mass Effect Trilogy for $4.99 which was a sensational price.

Still, next year in August when you're ready fork over $30 for renewel. Lets hope that besides the EA sports games, Star Wars, Need For Speed, Battlefield, and Mirrors Edge all be included too.
great deal IMO ....

ive had it since day one...

i dont play fifa or soccer but when the summer drought began and i DL fifa from the vault i had tons and tons of fun...

i can sell my madden 15 earlier than before to get more money for it and still have access to it in the vault....

i paid $2.50 a month for this service....

i played dragon age and didnt like it but was a different experience i enjoyed

plants v zombies i cant believe i missed out on that game and i dont like pvp shooters anymore
and to add to the pvp thing (because COD killed pvp for me) battlefield 4 was a blast and look forward to the next addition in the series (not that hardline thing)

i get to play madden 16 early without having to hunt it down (even though i will do it anyway)

i mean there is no way you can say this is a bad deal unless they are force feeding this down your throat

the only bad person in this is sony IMO .... for not giving their users the choice

idk i would bash the heck out of sony for this but im not the type to do that unlike some other ppl/fanboys out there....

you get discounts as well

some of you guys complaints dont make any sense....

the only valid opposing argument IMO would be i dont play any or enough EA games to get this.....

i justify my 30$ a yr alone by getting madden early ( it may not be a good way to justify but hey i usually pay that much plus more for gas looking for the game early), then getting to play fifa (i would not buy it because i am not a soccer fan but i would play it if its in the vault and have tons of fun) and then the other reason stated above....

# 33 Picci @ 08/18/15 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanchus

the only bad person in this is sony IMO .... for not giving their users the choice

idk i would bash the heck out of sony for this but im not the type to do that unlike some other ppl/fanboys out there....

you get discounts as well

some of you guys complaints dont make any sense....
I'm happy for you that you enjoy it. Really, I am. It's ok to bash Sony. I understand you.
However, look at my original post.

Quote:
EA giving gamers a choice? They didn't release a FIFA World Cup version for next generation because they felt it wasn't worth it. They've taken CPU vs CPU control out of Madden because? They've taken player editing out of NBA Live because? They gave us NHL's 15 bare offering because? (I just put that in)
Why should I wave the EA pom poms? I should reward them for taking away what we had last generation? LOL...

When EA puts a sale up, such as Mass Effect Trilogy for a good price, I will buy it for that price. I'm not going to give $30 a year to get it early, or get a digital copy or play their past broken games.

# 34 Elway7 @ 08/18/15 07:46 PM
bottom line is............... xbox is getting smashed in sales by a 2-1 margin, they are desperate and shelled out a ton of money to EA for exclusivity.

# 35 mestevo @ 08/18/15 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway7
bottom line is............... xbox is getting smashed in sales by a 2-1 margin, they are desperate and shelled out a ton of money to EA for exclusivity.
There's been nothing that's ever really suggested that, including Sony themselves saying it wasn't a good value for PS4 gamers.

# 36 romeischillin @ 08/19/15 08:08 AM
I think Sony should add EA Access, I'm pretty sure EA would jump at the chance if Sony changes course... besides I would think that PS+ much like XBOX Live (I'm assuming) is still needed before you can even touch EA Access... I think having that option would benefit SONY from a business standpoint seeing as XBOX One has bundles for Madden and FIFA which to my knowledge include a FREE year of XBOX Live and a Free year of EA Access... so from that side of things I would do it, it's not mandatory so guys like myself that want to play EA games that I haven't played in years can see where EA is at... got Madden 15 at launch last year, first Madden since Madden 12, got Live 15 in March, first Live in forever since atleast PS2, been on 2K ever since I got a PS3 in Oct 2007 and would like to try FIFA, NHL, UFC (played demo) and PGA... might have to start a campaign for this if SONY gamers are serious about atleast having the choice

# 37 jeremym480 @ 08/19/15 11:18 AM
Sony screwed the pooch on this one...

Here's an idea... How about letting your customers decide if something is a good value to them or not rather than deciding for them?

# 38 Behindshadows @ 08/19/15 11:38 AM
What bothers me about this conversation and thread is no one is pointing out the obvious factor here.

(Sony turned it down)

Why would Gamespot, who we obviously know are now ran by fanboys, keep asking him the same question, when even they know Sony turned it down in 2014.

Sony profits more off PS Now and PS Vue, having another subscription service on their console would take away from their profits.

And one guy makes a statement that we are paying for demo's?

(Correction: You get full games for $30 and Full Game early previews 1 week before release and full discounts on purchases of games and all their DLC)

Not seeing the problem and people wonder why most games look better on Xbox One that are on both consoles. Obviously EA Exclusive contract, allows them to do better things with Xbox One....and obviously Sony's attitude about Access pissed them off.

One guy said we are paying for games that came out last gen....(You Funny)

Those games came out this gen and are on both consoles PS4 / XB1.

Difference is it doesn't cost us $60 a game....We get over 15 games for $30 a year. (Not seeing the problem.)

PS Now is $240 a year...who's really screwing who? And those are the real last generation games.

It's not coming on PS4 and Gamespot is wrong for even asking the question, but they needed click bait and did it.....

Glad I own both consoles so I don't have to debate it, and I have EA Access and my game collection looking good...

# 39 mestevo @ 08/19/15 11:58 AM
They're asking it because surely there have been conversations since, that's reasonable to assume and an opportunity to get Moore to suggest if it might be coming in the future which would be big news.

# 40 Picci @ 08/19/15 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGiants4Natic
You must not know what business means. You want hand outs and companies want to improve profits.

Hmmm...Tough choice there

The great thing is that you have the choice to get it or not...Well in PS4 case you do not have a choice because they prefer to hand you their PS NOw service which is not native

EA Access is the future for many companies when all digital becomes the norm down the line....Is something you going to have to accept or leave gaming behind
LOL....

Because I don't think EA Access is an acceptable plan, I don't know what business means?

Because looking at that list, and the only thing I bought in the last year and played was Madden 15, I lost out on all of EA's greatness?

I have a choice. If I want something, I buy it. If I want to rent a game from Sony PSNow, I'll rent it.

If I want to play multi-player on line, I pay for it.

So keep giving EA their yearly fee if you like. You want their future, that's great.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.