Home
News Post

During last week's Gamescom convention, GameSpot interviewed Electronic Arts' chief operating officer Peter Moore. For sports fans (especially those owning a PlayStation 4), the most interesting part of this discussion came when Moore was asked if Electronic Arts had any plans for bringing the surprisingly successful EA Access program to Sony's system.

Quote:
"Let's switch to EA Access, which a lot of people think offers a good deal.

Peter Moore: I think it offers a great deal.

Do you still want to see EA Access on PlayStation 4?

Peter Moore: Doesn't matter. It's on Xbox One, and those customers love it. We have analytics on everything these days, and subscriber satisfaction rates are through the roof. EA Access customers get to play more, because of the Vault, they get to play early, ahead of general release date, and they get to pay less because of the discounts it offers.

So, consumers love it. It's doing well. If you expand to another console, business will be even better, right?

Peter Moore: But it's not. It's on Xbox One.

I'm curious about what you're saying. Is this part of a deal with Microsoft now?

Peter Moore: It's on Xbox One-

[Interrupting] Do you want to talk about this?

Peter Moore: Well Sony talked about it, ask them [laughs]. There's not much left for me to say."

Moore's last line is a reference to Game Informer's infamous quote from an anonymous Sony representative who claimed that, "We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer."

The "value" of a $5-per-month subscription ($30 for the year) was certainly questionable when Sony made its original statement on July 30, 2014. But as EA's downloadable game vault has been expanded to include the entire EA Sports catalog, and the company's pre-release trial period has been extended to 10 hours, EA Access has arguably become a better value for sports gamers than Sony's own PlayStation Plus program.

Sony's PlayStation 4 was the clear choice of a new generation when it and the Xbox One debuted during 2013's holiday shopping season. But since most sports titles look and play similarly on each console, and Xbox One owners finally have a good hardball option in Super Mega Baseball, I have mostly run out of reasons why I would recommend a PlayStation 4 over an Xbox One to someone looking for the best place to play console sports games (sup, Rocket League).

Member Comments
# 41 jwilphl @ 08/19/15 07:26 PM
As a PS4-only owner, I'm not concerned. I wouldn't pay for it, anyway, and I stopped buying the same sports titles year-after-year about a decade ago. But people are free to spend their money how they like, and if others enjoy this service, more power to them, but I wouldn't be personally upset if it never came to the PS4. For me the value isn't there, and honestly I try to support EA as little as possible.

# 42 Behindshadows @ 08/19/15 11:06 PM
All I can say if it wasn't for EA Access, I couldn't have done this when I got home tonight..

# 43 Picci @ 08/20/15 04:07 AM
LOL....

Despite their history, lets hope that EA can finally do NFL football right this time and give us a good sim. I'll be looking forward to your feedback in the Impressions Thread.

Early news however, are disconcerting.

# 44 jeremym480 @ 08/20/15 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
All I can say if it wasn't for EA Access, I couldn't have done this when I got home tonight..
I did the same, but unfortunately I'm just kind of wasting time until Tuesday because I'm getting Madden on PS4. If Sony offered EA Access then I could go ahead and start an offline franchise, but their short sightedness keeps me from doing that.

# 45 aukevin @ 08/20/15 02:32 PM
I'd get it if it was on PS4.

# 46 ghettog @ 08/22/15 04:08 PM
As a PS4 owner I wish it did have EA Access. Not sure if I would keep it long term but it would be nice to have the option of subscribing and maybe playing some games early. Obviously there is no downside for us we either choose to subscribe or not. So I am not sure what Sony is "protecting" us from. They aren't forcing us to use it if we don't want to. So I kinda call BS there must be something else behind it.

# 47 sroz39 @ 08/23/15 12:23 PM
Sony has really dropped the ball with this one, IMO. I'm admittedly an Xbox first, Sony second guy since the original Xbox came out but went with the PS4 as my console at the start of this generation because of a host of reasons, neither here nor there. I've always intended to grab an Xbone as soon as there was something to pull me in. Thought it'd be some of the exclusives by now but honestly, there's been nothing to this point.

Until now. With the combination of Forza 6 and Gears Ultimate Edition, it was going to be hard not to grab one. But with Sony's stubbornness when it comes to EA Access, that's the straw that broke the camel's back.

Unlike most on here, I have zero issues with EA as a company. They make alot of games I play and love and EA Access is an absolute win for the consumer in every way. I thought Sony had learned from their mistakes when they became arrogant after the PS2, dictating to the consumer what we want with the PS3 and they suffered a butt kicking in North America. Looks like old habits die hard.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

# 48 seanblaze87 @ 08/28/15 11:13 AM
I have it. It's not that great. You're not missing out on anything

# 49 DBMcGee3 @ 04/19/16 02:07 PM
This just never appealed to me because, honestly, EA doesn't make many great sports games, and they usually offer demos anyway.

That being said, it makes no sense to deny your customers the option, considering there are obviously lots of people who are satisfied with their subscription.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.