Home
NBA Live 16 News Post

The NBA Live Stream Team have posted a video interview with the Sean O'Brien and Erika Esola-Imburgio.

There are some audio issues at the beginning, but it clears up later on. Mrprice33 has given us an update on some of the details mentioned below, but watch and listen to the interview here.
  • The gameplay here is from Live 15
  • Editing talk at about 15:30- Sean said "I want to take the responsibility to ensure that the 450 or so players in the game and the things happening with them is accurate."
  • At 17:00 he talks about the tip-off going straight to the PG. Will remain the same for 16 but they want to get it fixed for 17.
  • Goal is to have roster updates at least once weekly for ratings, equipment, etc. "If anything major happens it'll be updated the next day."
  • 20:00 is talk about AI improvements, Live Motion, team sets, etc. Heavy investment on AI improvements on offense and defense. "Haven't had a Live game where you can guard the basketball as well as in 16." Says that teams like the Warriors will play a lot faster and have a unique identity.
  • 22 minutes or so is ratings talk. Erika says that 90+ ratings are reserved for superstars, and that there's a bigger drop off between them and stars/rotation players/etc
  • 29 minutes: multiple versions of players for LUT. 93 Larry Bird is different from Legend Larry Bird. Rookie LeBron.
  • 32 minutes: can deny the ball this year, lot of work with defensive AI, players recognize when they are 1 or 2 passes away. Can't barrel over helpside defenders and get to the rim, more jostling and dribble bumps, more turnovers in paint.
  • 34:30: cannot fake dribble handoff, but it's defensible with coverages like pick and roll. Sean mentions that they've shown gameplay and will show it again on demo day. Seems to indicate no more raw gameplay footage.
  • Then at around 37 minutes he says there is something coming next week with raw gameplay. So do with that what you will.
  • 42 minutes talks about transition play, different per team, spacing is better with hit ahead and shooters finding the corners. Manual boxing out is in the game, get rewarded for it in teammate grade in Live Run/Summer Circuit.
  • 45 minutes: When asked if there have been any improvements to dynasty, Sean says that it's better but there has been no real innovation there this year, something they want to focus on for 17. Pivots to Pro-Am as real focus for this year, along with controls and gameplay.
  • 49 minutes: 6 different cameras this year, new default camera, hybrid between baseline and sideline camera.

Game: NBA Live 16Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 4 - View All
NBA Live 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Basketball Nate @ 08/28/15 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
It truly is amazing, that you don't even know what you said. Reread this a few times, you'll get it. Your subconscious is spinning these mental gymnastics forever
None of this makes any sense to me bro.

# 22 iLLWiLL @ 08/28/15 01:40 AM
Really disappointed at these devs approach i.e. ignorance to the topic of editing. :

Anyways, that new camera being a hybrid of baseline and broadcast cams definitely sounds like the rumored "Live 95" 45-degree angle cam...

# 23 swac07 @ 08/28/15 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketball Nate
None of this makes any sense to me bro.
10 chars

# 24 swac07 @ 08/28/15 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
If you guys recall, 2k14 you couldn't use your own rosters for my gm either.
the ol "2k crutch"

Well 2k14 nor Live 14 had it, BUT it was BOTH companies first game on next gen....so both got a pass....

2nd year one implemented the other didnt......

3rd year one still has it the other STILL doesnt.....

I'll leave it at that.....

Let's keep this on what Live IS and ISN'T doing rather than bringing up 2k.....

# 25 grodbetatted @ 08/28/15 05:39 AM
Maybe I'm a glass half full kind of guy because although they arent adding roster editing, that doesnt break the game for me seeing I wouldn't be doing it anyway. I would more be playing the game than actual editing rosters. But anyway i rather focus on the things they are improving than the 1 or 2 things that they arent focusing on this year. Yea Dynasty and roster editing is cool to some, but every young person I speak with is all about a "MyPark mode" or some type of "rising star" mode. So it may be that EA is focusing its marketing on a younger crowd as of right now. I believe they should add a more in depth dynasty mode, CFM, and roster editing, but I will not allow that to take away from what they have improved on. Yea 2k has all that good stuff, but 2ks foundation was built back in 05, NBA Live's foundation is still being built, and as they build it they are trying to add more modes slowly but surely. It seems everyone wants NBA Live to do everything they want in one development cycle, when one their dev team is not as big as 2ks, and 2 thats just unrealistic to ask for anyway. I expect to see consistent improvement year over year, 15 was better than 14 even though that wasnt hard to do, I enjoyed 15 this year, even though I admit 2k was the more complete game. From this interview here 14 and 15 were a night and day difference and he said the difference from 15 to 16 is even greater.

# 26 swac07 @ 08/28/15 06:15 AM
lmao so only old folk are interested in Dynasty mode??? I'll just run that by my 14 yr old nephew thats in his 5th year of his Grizzlies Dynasty on some "other" game....

# 27 benefactor @ 08/28/15 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
"If anything major happens it'll be updated the next day."
I'm a Live fan but I have to laugh at this. We've heard this lie two years in a row only to wait up to weeks for trades to appear. Yeah it got better from 14 to 15 but it still wasn't good enough.

And for EA to not realise how important roster editing just shows they truly aren't as in touch with their fan base as they suggest.

Don't get me wrong, the series is back on track but they don't have enough intelligent people advising them, people who play their games and know their games.

I've played every Live since 95 on Genesis and could open their eyes in no more than an hour...

# 28 The 24th Letter @ 08/28/15 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
I think it was a priority on the gameplay side for the synergy stuff to matter this year. I thought the last 2 years every team played the same, and I'll be curious to see if we see something different once the demo drops.

I know what I saw at EA though, and IF the gameplay makes the leap that they think it will (and again, I have my own opinions about that that you can figure out by reading some of my posts), a large leap in gameplay paired with an exciting new mode is almost enough to make up for a lack of changes to Dynasty. It's not going to be enough for me to not need two basketball games this year, but if there isn't an improvement to 2K's defensive AI, Live might be able to complete on the gameplay side.

Oh, and the crew we had for the Live event in July (myself included) desperately wants to fight for Dynasty and LUT next year. We had 4 hardcore Dynasty guys and 4 hardcore LUT guys, so trust me when I say that Dynasty is going to be discussed A LOT. I wrote articles like this for every team last year and I plan on doing it again this year. I'm insane when it comes to franchise/dynasty stuff in NBA games. I'll fight for it.
This is good to hear. If the gameplay takes the leap you describe and Synergy finally works as advertised it will definitely soften the blow...for me at least! Honestly, I'm not even trying to sound like a broken record on the editing thing, I've come to grips with it not being in the game.....but when guys try to play it off like it's some kind of obscure option folks want added I have to speak on it.

It's not just about changing LeBron's number from 23 to 24 or changing KD's socks...it can have a direct effect on how the game plays...OF COURSE we'll be playing the game more than editing....it just makes playing the game even more enjoyable.

Thanks for fighting for us regarding dynasty. A large number of people still play offline franchises...even with the online modes blossoming the way they have. That's why its brought up in every review by the most casual of reviewers. Hopefully they heard you guys loud and clear.

I'm just waiting for EA to set you and WTF free so we can get some details...lol

# 29 vtcrb @ 08/28/15 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodbetatted
roster editing and sliders are completely different. There are sliders for the game to play how you want it to play. There is no roster editing
One thing that I notice is some of the guys who Dont want Roster Editing Play USER vs USER alot. You WONT see the need for Roster Editing if you play in USER vs USER games, because you wont see the LACK of Awareness by the AI.

Prime Example of what I am talking about. Let's take Kyle Korver. In the game IF he goes to the Low Post and starts Posting guys up, Instead of Staying outside the 3pt Line, How Do you fix this. Sliders are a GLOBAL fix NOT and Individual Player Fix. This is where Player Editing Fixes issues like this.

What if All Russell Westbrook did was pull up for 3pt shots and Never Drove the Lane? Or as with Last Year the CPU just looks LOST on offense on stands and hold the ball forever.

So much can be fixed by simple Edits, but alot is NOT seen in USER vs USER games.

# 30 cthurt @ 08/28/15 08:58 AM
Well with the no player edit that was hard to accept but no real improvements to the Dynasty mode is like a death blow, so if I were to buy this game it would just be a quick play game since I'm not interested in the Pro am mode.

# 31 Basketball Nate @ 08/28/15 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
So if lebron alone isnt posting up as much as id like, im supposed to go to sliders and make a universal change?
That's more of a individual tendency issue than it is a low post 'ratings' issue though, and LeBron don't live in the post throughout a 82 game regular season anyway compared to what might be needed for the team in the post season.

# 32 grodbetatted @ 08/28/15 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07
lmao so only old folk are interested in Dynasty mode??? I'll just run that by my 14 yr old nephew thats in his 5th year of his Grizzlies Dynasty on some "other" game....
Glad that's what you gathered from what I said... Because I said "only" some where within that statement. I said younger people are more likely to play pro am or a my park style mode than a dynasty. Not saying they don't play dynasty.

# 33 bkluvsm3 @ 08/28/15 11:27 AM
I agree I'm not interested in pro am or online game modes I feel like they are forcing us to play those modes only why should I buy this game if I like to play tip off and dynasty mode only .....that's the point some of us are trying to make I don't play LUT or online game modes I know those modes have been great and revolutionary all gaming and I understand EA Approach but I feel they should of still made an effort to make other mode and features deeper just my opinion. From what I heard so far still gonna support live

# 34 nick_sr @ 08/28/15 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodbetatted
Glad that's what you gathered from what I said... Because I said "only" some where within that statement. I said younger people are more likely to play pro am or a my park style mode than a dynasty. Not saying they don't play dynasty.
Definitely. Ogs like me could careless about proam

# 35 Basketball Nate @ 08/28/15 11:44 AM
Jus' sayin, but I think there's a reason EA can focus more of their attention towards online modes compared to other people. When you hype an online mode last year in a trailer and then it doesn't even work at release...

# 36 mrprice33 @ 08/28/15 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
This is good to hear. If the gameplay takes the leap you describe and Synergy finally works as advertised it will definitely soften the blow...for me at least! Honestly, I'm not even trying to sound like a broken record on the editing thing, I've come to grips with it not being in the game.....but when guys try to play it off like it's some kind of obscure option folks want added I have to speak on it.

It's not just about changing LeBron's number from 23 to 24 or changing KD's socks...it can have a direct effect on how the game plays...OF COURSE we'll be playing the game more than editing....it just makes playing the game even more enjoyable.

Thanks for fighting for us regarding dynasty. A large number of people still play offline franchises...even with the online modes blossoming the way they have. That's why its brought up in every review by the most casual of reviewers. Hopefully they heard you guys loud and clear.

I'm just waiting for EA to set you and WTF free so we can get some details...lol
You and me both.

# 37 The 24th Letter @ 08/28/15 12:41 PM

# 38 zrohman @ 08/28/15 01:59 PM
Wow...

What they don't understand, is that if Live doesn't HEAVILY COMPETE with 2k there won't be a next year...

No editing, and the tip goes directly to the PG.

What does that say to me?

Many game breaking bugs are built into the game that are far from fixable.. It's their 3rd year making the game, they FINALLY get sliders, but STILL can't do editing.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if late game ai creeped into the game or other huge bugs .

Out of everything I read the tip was the most worrisome thing.

If Live could COMPETE with gameplay, I said myself I would buy.. But part of gameplay is the realism of the tip.... If you can't even get the tip off right... Dag.

I see it being better gameplay wise, still with bigger legacy bugs. Terrible dynasty still. And the fan base is so small half the year you can barely find people to play online. Now with extra modes the population will be even more split up online.

You can't just slowly get progressively better. They've had 3 years and they still can't get the tip right.... I was all for preordering but dag. I don't know what to say. Seems small but I just think it's an prelude to other bugs that are going to be in game

# 39 Calvenn @ 08/28/15 02:30 PM
There is positive news about this game and Mr Price, Wtf, as well as other reviewers out there have given me hope that the gameplay will be good. Demo day cant arrive soon enough! Having said that, boy, I have to side with others about some of these "basic omissions". Is correcting the tip-off mechanic really that complex or convoluted? I may need to be enlightened on this subject. Having to focus on this aspect of the game at the next development cycle makes it appear that way.

We all want this game to soar. As a legitimate contender, just look at its current impact and the innovation coming from the other camp! This progress must continue! I have faith but just questioning why the tip-off was not addressed for the sake of realism?

# 40 mrprice33 @ 08/28/15 03:08 PM
Having seen the totality of what was fixed on the gameplay side, the tip off is a pretty minor issue, IMO. I honestly didn't even notice it until people here pointed it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.