Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

For years, MLB The Show has been a series known for its incremental upgrades -- small changes that generally increase the overall quality of an already quality title. Whether improving the lighting engine or analog controls, these year-to-year improvements were well received, but not typically earth-shattering features. This "slow but steady" philosophy makes sense for a relatively small development team, but often left some users unimpressed. "Stale" was a common complaint, though one unattached from the general consensus that The Show was still one of the best sports games on the market.

After playing MLB The Show 16 for the last week, I’ll start with the obvious; it's still The Show. As usual, there is not one giant game-changing, "back of the box" upgrade that makes this year’s game feel like something brand new. Instead, the "small but meaningful" description I have used in the past to talk about The Show is still apt.

Before you check out and cast The Show 16 off as another collection of small tweaks, here’s the catch: The sheer amount of changes, whether under the hood, visual, or mode-related, collectively make this the most improved, and best, Show of this generation.

Read More - MLB The Show 16 Review (PS4)

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Dazraz @ 03/31/16 04:27 PM
At this stage there's an element of expectation outweighing appreciation. Review in a months time & this game will be a 9-9.5.

# 2 SeaTownGamer @ 03/31/16 04:59 PM
No way it's a 9-9.5 if this game is reviewed in a month lol. 8-8.5 seems about right.

# 3 Quentin32 @ 03/31/16 07:09 PM
I kno different games different ratings. But man UFC the same rating as MLB just feels wrong.

# 4 Don Jon @ 03/31/16 07:21 PM
Yes I agree with a 8.5. The game is consistent with the game play, its just some things are off for me.

For instance, the base-running thing in the top right is about 5x too big, and the quick counts box, stays on until the pitcher starts the windup, which i'm not sure if that is a bug or not, but it is quite annoying.

Again I only play offline so im just going with that, but game modes feel about the same for me, no big improvements, just small things.

# 5 Lovesports @ 03/31/16 07:33 PM
It's a 9 now so I'm not sure what the issue is. The game plays well, it's not perfect but it's very good.

# 6 AncientDiety @ 03/31/16 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTownGamer
No way it's a 9-9.5 if this game is reviewed in a month lol. 8-8.5 seems about right.
It's a 9 now imo....the show is so good it's a victim of it's success imo. A game like madden which is ten times worse reviews as well says it all.

# 7 jw9036 @ 03/31/16 08:27 PM
All pitching grip is a terrible in the MLB The Show 16. why SDS change the pitching grip? I can't understand... serious frame rate, terrible pitching motion capture, boring sportscaster~ I honestly think 7.5.

MLB 15 The Show - KERSHAW

MLB 16 The Show - KERSHAW

# 8 AncientDiety @ 03/31/16 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw9036
All pitching grip is a terrible in the MLB The Show 16. why SDS change the pitching grip? I can't understand... serious frame rate, terrible pitching motion capture, boring sportscaster~ I honestly think 7.5.
Geez Ridiculous...there is this thing called gameplay, what you listed are minor nitpicks and certainly not deserving of a 7.5. People are spoiled. Framerate has been great for me, shrugs.

# 9 jw9036 @ 03/31/16 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientDiety
Geez Ridiculous...there is this thing called gameplay, what you listed are minor nitpicks and certainly not deserving of a 7.5. People are spoiled. Framerate has been great for me, shrugs.
I love the sports game. Especially MLB The Show. But the changes are minimal for the last 3 games. Improvement is only Diamond Dynasty mode.

# 10 ShaiLeGran @ 04/01/16 06:28 AM
I wish we all could feel like the reviewer. Everything is subjective, but too me graphics took a step back. Cant put my finger on it if it is colour, lightning or something else, but they dont pop as much as in 15 and the grass in certain stadiums (Pirates, for example) looks really, really ugly and distracts me (yes me, maybe not you) from the overall experience.

# 11 ShaiLeGran @ 04/01/16 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jon
Yes I agree with a 8.5. The game is consistent with the game play, its just some things are off for me.

For instance, the base-running thing in the top right is about 5x too big, and the quick counts box, stays on until the pitcher starts the windup, which i'm not sure if that is a bug or not, but it is quite annoying.

Again I only play offline so im just going with that, but game modes feel about the same for me, no big improvements, just small things.
Agreed with the baserunners box, way to big

# 12 ShaiLeGran @ 04/01/16 06:34 AM
Also, when batting, no option to check the balls that were trown to you anymore. I think you could press left or right on de d-pad in MLB 15. Wonder why they took this out or am I missing something?

# 13 AncientDiety @ 04/01/16 06:54 AM
Quote:
I love the sports game. Especially MLB The Show. But the changes are minimal for the last 3 games. Improvement is only Diamond Dynasty mode.
That's totally false...

# 14 NAFBUC @ 04/01/16 07:30 AM
Quote:

MLB 15 The Show - KERSHAW

MLB 16 The Show - KERSHAW

Nice collection of The Show jw9036!

# 15 NAFBUC @ 04/01/16 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
At this stage there's an element of expectation outweighing appreciation. Review in a months time & this game will be a 9-9.5.
I was lucky and received The Show a week early. My initial rating was 9.44, but I tend to rate The Show .5 higher than OS. I love baseball and that may bias my opinion.

Everyone has 'hotspots' when rating a game. Stats, player models, presentation and giving an user a chance to see the entire play are big on my list for future improvements.

# 16 lilrosati56 @ 04/01/16 09:50 AM
I've only played a number of Play Now games with a variety teams and stadiums, I do this until rosters are ready because once I start my Franchise I only play with one team. I haven't had any frame rate issues, at least none that I've noticed. Is it strictly an online problem? I'm very happy with the game. Better lighting, better sounds and a better throwing meter. Plus the fish eye cam is a welcomed addition, it's really helping me on the one pitch I could never adjust to, the low change up. Is the game a MASSIVE improvement to '15? No. Could I be happy with just playing '15 for the next year? Yes. But to me the small improvements are worth $60 every year. This studio just gets it.

# 17 countryboy @ 04/01/16 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaiLeGran
Also, when batting, no option to check the balls that were trown to you anymore. I think you could press left or right on de d-pad in MLB 15. Wonder why they took this out or am I missing something?
Press R2.

I believe you have to have Guess Pitch ON for this to work. If that doesn't work try pressing R3 which is what the command is when pitching.

# 18 jkra0512 @ 04/01/16 10:27 AM
April Fools, everyone! The game is really a 10!!! Enjoy!

# 19 econoodle @ 04/01/16 10:34 AM
agree on franchise thoughts.

next year presentation needs to be at the top of the list. its lagging WAY behind every other sports game ive played this gen.

# 20 econoodle @ 04/01/16 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFBUC
I was lucky and received The Show a week early. My initial rating was 9.44, but I tend to rate The Show .5 higher than OS. I love baseball and that may bias my opinion.

Everyone has 'hotspots' when rating a game. Stats, player models, presentation and giving an user a chance to see the entire play are big on my list for future improvements.
NAf, do you play any of the other modes? if so i have preorder bonus stuff from gstop i have no interest in using, since i am only a franchise man.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.