Home
NBA Live 17 News Post

As we reported on just a bit ago, NBA Live is definitely not coming to consoles this fall -- and may be going through a complete overhaul according to a new message posted by Sean O'Brien on EA's website.

Quote:
Hey LIVE fans:

I want to share some important updates on what’s next for NBA LIVE and give you an overview of where we’re going with the franchise over the course of this year.

It’s important that you know that we are committed to NBA LIVE in the console space. While we won’t be shipping a product this Fall, we will be back on the courts with something new and exciting for you to experience in early 2017.

Our focus this year is to deliver an amazing, high-quality basketball game to a global audience. The best way to do that is through the fastest growing, largest, and most accessible gaming platform…mobile. As a team, we’re really excited about taking the franchise to new places with the worldwide release of our mobile game later this year.

More details to follow in the coming months!

Sean O’Brien
Executive Producer, NBA LIVE

Game: NBA Live 17Hype Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 3 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 Calvenn @ 05/16/16 10:47 PM
This is what we requested! We all said Live17 was a "do or die" game right? Well, they will be using this additional time to expand and complete this game as required! Live fans should be happy to hear this news, same for 2k heads! ( will keep the 2k team on their toes). All bball fans should rejoice!

Mobile will allow them further entrance into a larger and untapped market/audience, considering the very favorable reviews attained by the Canada released Live mobile. Market accessibility ( game will be free) and microtransactions is the key here! From a business perspective, this makes all the sense in the world! It does not mean that they will be ditching the console platform if and when mobile takes off! In fact, you can imagine that this new source of generated revenue will make the console game production even more viable!

Finally, twitter and other messages from Live devs were sent out right before and on the day of this report from Sean O'Brien. They repeated that development was ongoing and apologized for the delay while promising a better product. " We will get Live back to where it belongs". On EAs site, they are hiring for new positions for the console version, including a lead marketing position, etc.

Personally, I look forward to what they are working on for release in 2017! From a strategic perspective, I also like that the timing does not coincide with the release of 2k. Something to look out for in one of those messages (though cryptic ) is that the release schedule for Live may change going forward to align with this strategy. Anything can happen off course however, in this case, the signs and information is there to indicate that the console game is and has been in production since Jan 16 ( and possibly sooner) and will be released!

# 82 zrohman @ 05/16/16 11:32 PM
Sounds like an excuse. They will probably use this to soften the blow when they delay it later until 18 or possibly cancel it all together

# 83 wacko11 @ 05/17/16 12:12 AM
The one thing EA did right was picked Westbrook for 16, he's balling out this playoffs.

# 84 Mintsa @ 05/17/16 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvenn
This is what we requested! We all said Live17 was a "do or die" game right? Well, they will be using this additional time to expand and complete this game as required! Live fans should be happy to hear this news, same for 2k heads! ( will keep the 2k team on their toes). All bball fans should rejoice!

Mobile will allow them further entrance into a larger and untapped market/audience, considering the very favorable reviews attained by the Canada released Live mobile. Market accessibility ( game will be free) and microtransactions is the key here! From a business perspective, this makes all the sense in the world! It does not mean that they will be ditching the console platform if and when mobile takes off! In fact, you can imagine that this new source of generated revenue will make the console game production even more viable!

Finally, twitter and other messages from Live devs were sent out right before and on the day of this report from Sean O'Brien. They repeated that development was ongoing and apologized for the delay while promising a better product. " We will get Live back to where it belongs". On EAs site, they are hiring for new positions for the console version, including a lead marketing position, etc.

Personally, I look forward to what they are working on for release in 2017! From a strategic perspective, I also like that the timing does not coincide with the release of 2k. Something to look out for in one of those messages (though cryptic ) is that the release schedule for Live may change going forward to align with this strategy. Anything can happen off course however, in this case, the signs and information is there to indicate that the console game is and has been in production since Jan 16 ( and possibly sooner) and will be released!
Using past track record.....this is not happening/nor the the reason.

# 85 Mintsa @ 05/17/16 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman
Sounds like an excuse. They will probably use this to soften the blow when they delay it later until 18 or possibly cancel it all together
Using past track record.....this is what's happening/the the reason.

# 86 Crunky @ 05/17/16 01:47 PM
This is a little reminiscent of what happened between WWF and WCW. WCW had their brief moment on top similar to how NBA live was on top during the ps2 era. The WWF eventually emerged on top and WCW couldn't recapture that magic moment again. During the ps3 era 2k was on top, NBA live came close with NBA live 09 and 10 but couldn't overtake 2k. Then you have Mike Wang which symbolizes all the superstars that jumped ship from WCW to WWF leaving WCW to never be the same again. Will NBA live suffer the same fate as WCW I guess only time will tell. Something else to question is will 2k end up like how WWF is now with no competition, not taking chances, not taking risks, remaining stagnant that's also something to think about.

# 87 GisherJohn24 @ 05/17/16 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones16
If Live stops coming out, 2k16 and Live 16 will be the last basketball games I buy. 2k will become Madden with no competition.
I agree with the other response. 2k has always been solid with or without Live being around. .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

# 88 Nemesis Enforcer @ 05/17/16 04:45 PM
Their track record recently has been to release even with delays if necessary and to make improvements with updates. Seems like they are taking it more seriously this time and have a plan.

However I expect a different product that somehow combines pro-am with LUT to make up your squad as the bulk of the game. Possibly a rising star and franchise with no changes from last year and a play now/online.

Looking forward to what they come out with..

# 89 Playmakers @ 05/18/16 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvenn

Everything sounds good the way you put it......

The only problem is we've been down this road before with EA twice if memory serves me right.

If a guy goes out and robs someone twice and then tells us he won't do it again most of us aren't going to believe him no matter what he says....

Well EA has a past history that tells us they can't be trusted even when given more time and right now their words means nothing to some us....

Personally, I've moved on from the series and if they comeback strong then great but hey i'm not going to loose any sleep over it anymore expecting a game to improve that hasn't improved close to a decade now IMO.

# 90 noshun @ 05/18/16 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers

The only problem is we've been down this road before with EA twice if memory serves me right.

If a guy goes out and robs someone twice and then tells us he won't do it again most of us aren't going to believe him no matter what he says....

Well EA has a past history that tells us they can't be trusted even when given more time and right now their words means nothing to some us....

Personally, I've moved on from the series and if they comeback strong then great but hey i'm not going to loose any sleep over it anymore expecting a game to improve that hasn't improved close to a decade now IMO.

Exactly, some guys on this side of the forums are a glutton for punishment. EA has already has:

1. Blackened 1 eye with Live 07
2. Blackened your other eye with Elite 11 cancelation
3. Broken your nose with Live 12 not even being made
4. Busted your lip with Live 13 being canceled
5. Knocked out a tooth with Live 14's mediocrity
6. Broken your arm with Live 17's delay..

The hits keeps coming, and guys still make excuses for it... sad. All this within a 10 year span..

# 91 swac07 @ 05/18/16 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
Exactly, some guys on this side of the forums are a glutton for punishment. EA has already has:

1. Blackened 1 eye with Live 07
2. Blackened your other eye with Elite 11 cancelation
3. Broken your nose with Live 12 not even being made
4. Busted your lip with Live 13 being canceled
5. Knocked out a tooth with Live 14's mediocrity
6. Broken your arm with Live 17's delay..

The hits keeps coming, and guys still make excuses for it... sad. All this within a 10 year span..

Sad, but true.....

# 92 22cedric @ 05/18/16 06:05 AM
Andrew Wilson said on the EA Investor Day webcast on Tuesday May 17th 2016 that NBA Live & Fifa on mobile will be built and delivered the same way they do Madden . They mentioned that they have a different plan in play to rectify there struggles with NBA Live franchise on the EA Investor Day webcast as well. Link to EA Investor Day webcast: http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/9gxpxwa7

# 93 Calvenn @ 05/18/16 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers

Fair and understood. No, I haven't forgotten. As mentioned in my post, " anything can happen " and there is no 100% guarantee. I placed that statement there for that reason. I and others have seen the true progress made with Live16 from initial demo release, and for those unaware, the updates are still ongoing. We all know where the game was lacking. IMO, the same annual release schedule wouldn't allow ample time to meet the required improvements that we've belabored ( further individualization of players, various mode expansions, etc,etc). If i recall correctly, you made specific reference to the fact that Live16 finally offered certain improvevements we,d been asking for years, including a more effective point guard attack mentality, etc. So, there has been progress which i beleive was time and politically restricted from what i understand. Quite frankly, believe it or not, this is secretly what I was hoping for. I must admit to the frustration of seeing some key legacy issues remain with 16 such as the end game logic challenges. These areas must be addressed, no question!

They simply have to do this game justice and time, adequate resources ( as mentioned, they are actively hiring for the Live console game as we speak) and a more favorable political situation, is what's needed. With a good foundation in Live 16, in its current state, coupled with the aforementioned, good progress can be made. Think about it. In essence, all chips are being pushed in with this move. There can't be any excuses if it turns out to be a disaster. Lets talk again when that period arrives.

# 94 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 05/19/16 09:23 PM
I don't get this . Hopefully they just work they're asses off for live 17 and just skip a year but we all know the truth .

Maybe it's just me but it's always a nostalgia for me about the NBA towards the end of summer . I miss it so much that I look forward to basketball titles . That nostalgia wears off in the beginning of the next year

# 95 Crunky @ 05/19/16 09:43 PM
The only reason there looking to hire new devs is because they split the live devs up to work on mobile so they need replacements. So don't expect major improvement due to the delay because of this. The live devs focus is 50/50 between console/mobile and their pretty serious this mobile game can become a success. If the mobile game is a success you can kiss console goodbye.

For those with doubts that NBA live won't release a console game in 2017 due to fear of a cancellation. There's no question they would release a console game in 2017 because the license they have with the NBA expires in 2017 so they wouldn't waste an opportunity not to release the game on console. I don't expect them to renew the NBA license if the game doesn't sell well for both console and mobile. What I do see them doing in the year 2018 is coming out with an arcade street game only for mobile without NBA players.

# 96 Tomba @ 05/22/16 03:19 PM
They need to have full roster editing for players likeness and attributes and full slider editing.

IF they do not. then its like nothing ever happened within the last 3 yr development cycle of them listening to user feedback

glad ppl can save their money in 2016 as IF this game came i bet it wouldnt have editing

# 97 nick_sr @ 05/22/16 08:11 PM
Been doing a lot of thinking and I must admit it's over. They pulled this b4 and canceled the game. It's over for us love fans

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.