Home
News Post

During the Xbox E3 2016 briefing, Microsoft announced the Xbox One S, starting at $299.99 for the 500GB version, $349.99 for the 1TB version and $399.99 for the limited quantity 2TB launch edition, all scheduled to arrive in August.

Pre-order here:
Quote:
With a fresh new design and “robot white” color, the Xbox One S is 40 percent smaller than the original Xbox One, creating the most compact Xbox yet. It also includes a built-in power supply, and in response to fan requests worldwide, can be placed horizontally or vertically with an optional stand.

Xbox One S is not just slimmer and sleeker. We also worked hard to add some exciting new features for video and gameplay. You’ll now be able to watch Blu-ray movies and stream video in stunning 4K Ultra HD video, with content from partners like Netflix and Amazon Video. Xbox One S also offers High Dynamic Range (HDR) support for video and gaming, so you can experience richer, more luminous colors in games like Gears of War 4 and Scalebound. With a higher contrast ratio between lights and darks, HDR brings out the true visual depth of your games and media.

For increased accessibility, we shifted one of the three USB ports and the pairing button to the front of the Xbox One S alongside the newly added IR blaster. Additionally, in order to make the Xbox One S as compact as possible and make all of these updates, we removed the dedicated Kinect port from the back. Kinect for Xbox One will still be compatible with Xbox One S via the Xbox Kinect Adapter for USB connection and offers the same great experiences as the current console. For fans that currently own a Kinect for Xbox One and plan to purchase the Xbox One S, we are offering a free Xbox Kinect Adapter. Visit xbox.com/XboxOne/KinectAdapter for more details.

The Xbox One S comes with a newly designed Xbox Wireless Controller featuring textured grip for enhanced comfort. We improved the Xbox Wireless signal performance to give you a more reliable wireless connection to the console and up to twice the wireless range when used with Xbox One S. To enable easier wireless connection to your Windows 10 devices, we also added Bluetooth support.* The new thumbstick design significantly reduces wear to help maintain accuracy and smooth rotation over the life of the controller, so you never miss a beat. The new Xbox Wireless Controller is included with all Xbox One S consoles and will be available worldwide for individual purchase for $59.99 USD.

At the end of the Xbox briefing, Microsoft announced Project Scorpio (codename for now), a new console that will play native 4K games and high-fidelity VR. The console will feature a performance speed of six teraflops and arrive sometime in the 2017 holiday season.

What are your plans? Getting the Xbox One S or waiting for Project Scorpio?

Member Comments
# 121 Money99 @ 08/11/16 08:18 AM
Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but if Scorpio (or NEO) are going to receive exclusive titles I'm done supporting consoles.
I'm not a PC gamer just for the fact that I don't want to upgrade my hardware every 3 to 4 years.

I'm just now thinking of getting an XB1 so if MS is going to release a new console a year from now, effectively making my console somewhat obsolete, I'll be really ticked off.

This whole thing has become asinine to me.
But maybe gaming has passed me by. Maybe the next gen of gamers like having to upgrade their hardware every 3 to 4 years.

Soon, console parts will be interchangeable so there'll be no difference between PC's and consoles.

Very disappointing to someone in my shoes.

# 122 DickDalewood @ 08/11/16 08:47 AM
Sony has already confirmed no Neo exclusives.

# 123 Money99 @ 08/11/16 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Sony has already confirmed no Neo exclusives.
Thanks for the info.

If that's the case, I may not bother getting an XB1 then.

# 124 Money99 @ 08/11/16 11:43 AM
What bothers me about this whole mess is that people will essentially have to upgrade every 3 or 4 years.
I know people who haven't even upgraded to XB1 or PS4 yet.
So should they wait for NEO and Scorpio instead? And what happens when they do, and the XB Zodiac hits stores 3 years later?

I guess this is the end of me as a gamer. I have no interest in playing this silly game.
I liked buying a console and not worrying for at least 7 years.
The PS2 and Xbox 360 were dream consoles IMO because both lasted so long and had a terrific library of games to enjoy before having to make the jump.
Heck, I still play the 360 more than my PS4 now.

# 125 mestevo @ 08/11/16 11:57 AM
And some people will only upgrade every third console and their library will come with them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

# 126 mgoblue @ 08/11/16 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
What bothers me about this whole mess is that people will essentially have to upgrade every 3 or 4 years.
I know people who haven't even upgraded to XB1 or PS4 yet.
So should they wait for NEO and Scorpio instead? And what happens when they do, and the XB Zodiac hits stores 3 years later?

I guess this is the end of me as a gamer. I have no interest in playing this silly game.
I liked buying a console and not worrying for at least 7 years.
The PS2 and Xbox 360 were dream consoles IMO because both lasted so long and had a terrific library of games to enjoy before having to make the jump.
Heck, I still play the 360 more than my PS4 now.
Though you can still do that....keep a PS4 or Xbox One original and roll with that....both companies have said that all games will play on both. Plus, since you're obviously not interested in upgrades, and you like the 360, then the graphical improvements won't matter.

In 4 years when there's Scorpio/Neo exclusives then it'll have been that 7 year cycle anyways.

I dunno, it's all our choice. I don't know if I'll upgrade to Scorpio next year, and if I did it'd probably be only one Xbox, leave the bedroom one just a normal one.

# 127 mestevo @ 08/11/16 12:02 PM
Upgrade to Scorpio for me will probably depend on the amount of support for Play Anywhere.

I've already got EA Access on PC, and based on my current play habits the reality is I'm Madden on PC in some form away from just being done w/ consoles.

# 128 mgoblue @ 08/11/16 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Upgrade to Scorpio for me will probably depend on the amount of support for Play Anywhere.

I've already got EA Access on PC, and based on my current play habits the reality is I'm Madden on PC in some form away from just being done w/ consoles.
Plus there's always the rumored stream PC to Xbox One (opposite of what they have now)....

Then I'd just keep both boxes as streaming boxes, kinect with tv, and look into upgrading my PC instead.

I don't game enough (to be honest) to warrant a huge push to Scorpio...plus I can deal with not as perfect graphics....I'd benefit more from a new tv before going to Scorpio anyways

# 129 mestevo @ 08/11/16 12:17 PM
I have to have the new shiny things, but traded in the PS4 and not getting Neo, perhaps times are changing. Sony will need to adopt a some of the things MS is doing well with (streaming to PC a big one) for me to consider a PS5, but I'm not getting back into their ecosystem prior to that.

# 130 mgoblue @ 08/11/16 12:19 PM
Quote:
I have to have the new shiny things, but traded in the PS4 and not getting Neo, perhaps times are changing. Sony will need to adopt a some of the things MS is doing well with (streaming to PC a big one) for me to consider a PS5, but I'm not getting back into their ecosystem prior to that.
I've realized it's too expensive to keep up with 2 ecosystems (with PS+ or Gold, etc) and as I have kids I don't have tons of time. Maybe as my son and future daughters get older I'll end up with more time (at night, or they want to play, etc) but that's a while away. Small kids eat up time lol

# 131 mestevo @ 08/11/16 12:27 PM
Yeah, PS+ has been pretty poor if you only are paying for it for the games, I don't mind paying for both but cancelled that in January and it's been used basically as a Netflix/Amazon box by my toddlers, so traded it in several months later and got the 2nd Xbox.

Now I just need to find a clean way to stream from either one, so when the living room is in use I can boot up the other remotely. Since that one is logging into my wife's account by default I'm not sure I can do that without getting up off my @#% and changing profiles - but then that'd log out the living room while they're streaming, which I'm sure is less than ideal.

I'm sure I can figure something out, maybe make an account for the kids to stream from in the living room or something. Need to do some testing.

# 132 joet6683 @ 08/11/16 02:19 PM
Quote:
Yeah, PS+ has been pretty poor if you only are paying for it for the games, I don't mind paying for both but cancelled that in January and it's been used basically as a Netflix/Amazon box by my toddlers, so traded it in several months later and got the 2nd Xbox.

Now I just need to find a clean way to stream from either one, so when the living room is in use I can boot up the other remotely. Since that one is logging into my wife's account by default I'm not sure I can do that without getting up off my @#% and changing profiles - but then that'd log out the living room while they're streaming, which I'm sure is less than ideal.

I'm sure I can figure something out, maybe make an account for the kids to stream from in the living room or something. Need to do some testing.
What I did before was use the smart glass app on my phone to turn the one I wanted to stream from and then connect through smart glass. That would sign my profile in (barring it didn't need a pass code) and then I went to the win10 xbox app and could stream.

# 133 mestevo @ 08/11/16 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joet6683
What I did before was use the smart glass app on my phone to turn the one I wanted to stream from and then connect through smart glass. That would sign my profile in (barring it didn't need a pass code) and then I went to the win10 xbox app and could stream.
That's a great idea. The Windows 10 app not do the same?

# 134 DickDalewood @ 08/11/16 04:09 PM
Quote:
You can already stream your PS4 to PC (and Mac).

How to use Remote Play on your PC or Mac

Step 1: Make sure your computer is connected to the same network as your Ps4.
Step 2: Download the Remote Play program for PC or Mac, and install it on your computer.
Step 3: Plug in a DualShock 4 controller into your computer via a USB cable.
Step 4: Run the Remote Play program on your computer, and click Start. The program will search for any PS4 on the network. If your PS4 is in Rest Mode, it will automatically turn on once the PC discovers it.
Step 5: Sign in to the PSN.
Step 6: You should now be controlling your PS4 through your PC.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...#ixzz4H3Z77zOz
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

# 135 mestevo @ 08/11/16 04:11 PM
Quote:
You can already stream your PS4 to PC.
Yes but they only thought they would stream to the Vita so it's limited to 720p

# 136 DickDalewood @ 08/11/16 04:16 PM
Quote:
Yes but they only thought they would stream to the Vita so it's limited to 720p

Ah, yah, true.

I certainly don't blame you for picking one system over the other. If I were to choose one personally, it would be PS4, but as we always say, as long as gamers have options we win.

At this point, I really don't think you can go wrong with either system. Both have advantages and both have solid games and exclusives.

# 137 DanH35 @ 08/11/16 09:51 PM
My free Kinect adapter got delivered today. It is just the Kinect for Windows adapter.

# 138 KingTocco @ 08/12/16 01:16 PM
Quote:
Ah, yah, true.

I certainly don't blame you for picking one system over the other. If I were to choose one personally, it would be PS4, but as we always say, as long as gamers have options we win.

At this point, I really don't think you can go wrong with either system. Both have advantages and both have solid games and exclusives.

I just wish I could pick one and not flip flop. I have both and love things about both systems but I hate constantly going back and forth in my head and with games each year.

It's probably just a mental thing but for me, it's there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 139 mike24forever @ 08/12/16 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH35
My free Kinect adapter got delivered today. It is just the Kinect for Windows adapter.
I was hoping mine would, however it didn't. Maybe some time next week.

# 140 mgoblue @ 08/12/16 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel77733
I don't really know why anyone would only want to own one console over the other as opposed to owning and keeping both. I own both PS4 and Xbox One. PS4 is my primary console for multi-platform games, exclusives, psn games and indies but despite all of that sounding like there's no need for the other console, I disagree as there's always going to be games that I want to play on the secondary console. I have only completed two games on Xbox One since I purchased it last November and the next game will be Gears of War 4. Despite the huge gaps between games, I still prefer to keep it because I know that once I get rid of the console, there will be a game that makes me want to buy it again.

The only console that I haven't owned in the last four generations (including the current one) is Wii U and that's because I don't feel it's worth the $300 price tag. I have always felt that it's stupid to be console exclusive or brand exclusive. Sure, I'll buy one and then wait for the other to drop in price or for the games that I want to play on it get released but in time, I have always owned every console during each generation.

Even though im barely playing Xbox One, im still trading in my base Xbox One for the 500GB Xbox One Slim model. If I get to play at least two exclusives a year on Xbox One, it's easily worth the price and even in general, I would say that it's worth keeping all the consoles.
I can't afford both consoles, it just doesn't make sense. Being married with a son and twins on the way, my money goes mostly to that or trying to save....

Plus getting invested in two ecosystems is just too much for me now. My gaming time with young kids is down a lot, though I think in the future I'll have more time again. Paying for Live/PS+ on top of everything else just adds up.

I've more just realized that I don't really need the exclusives, so not owning a PS4 isn't too bad. Even late in the PS3 gen I stopped playing some of those games. Just ended up being a brick.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.