Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA Sports has continued revealing their Madden NFL 17 player ratings today, as they announce the top 5 wide receivers in the game. More detailed ratings can be seen in the official blog.

Check them out and post your thoughts!
  • Antonio Brown (Overall 97)
  • Julio Jones (Overall 96)
  • A.J. Green (Overall 93)
  • Odell Beckham Jr. (Overall 93)
  • DeAndre Hopkins (Overall 93)
Previously released Madden NFL 17 player ratings:

Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 SwedishTouch76 @ 07/24/16 10:13 AM
Madden is an arcade game

# 62 KickassJohnson @ 07/25/16 09:02 AM
Anyone else think Odell's arm looks weird in the screenshot?

# 63 StayPlation82 @ 07/25/16 12:59 PM
I'm thinking about the Jamarcus Russell situation. How do you rate a guy who has his skill set in Madden correctly? How do you rate him having to see a receiver open to throw it(oblivious trait)? How do you rate him not studying after practice(low awareness)? Is he not accurate physically or mentally(SAC, MAC, DAC vs AWR)? Meaning if he dropped back and threw a 30 yard pass into a tire vs not knowing the coverage being shown and a ball is deflected. Or both! But how do you differentiate between the two? How do you make a player in the video game who is user controlled, who waits to throw to an open WR and who doesn't have to practice or watch film a bad player?

# 64 Yazan Gable @ 07/25/16 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayPlation82
How do you make a player in the video game who is user controlled, who waits to throw to an open WR and who doesn't have to practice or watch film a bad player?
You don't, you yourself represent the hesitation and decision making of a QB. As far as AI is concerned that would probably be influenced by low Awareness (Justin Blackmon has great ratings but his Awareness is in the low 40s so it crushes his OVR), but when they're in your hands you take the place of their decision making. Which is fine with me, I'd be frustrated if the game decided messing with my inputs by delaying them (which it already does sometimes).

# 65 champ1997 @ 07/25/16 04:30 PM
Josh Gordon has been reinstated I wonder what his ratings will be

# 66 jpdavis82 @ 07/25/16 04:54 PM
You guys probably know this already but Dez is 8th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 67 The JareBear @ 07/25/16 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
You guys probably know this already but Dez is 8th

That makes me think DT probably isn't in the top 10, which honestly doesn't bother me at all. I could see DT being around 85-88

# 68 StayPlation82 @ 07/25/16 04:56 PM
i'm thinking in the 85 OVR range, hopefully a little higher

# 69 BayRaider510 @ 07/25/16 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
That's my point. I prefer a spread. I'd like to see a 0-100 scale. But looking at the top 5 WRs, there are another 6 or 7, maybe even 8 or 9 that have to be up there. I think ratings will again be inflated, because they try to fit all of the NFL players from about 55/60-99. Where it should be 1-99. Especially squeezing 2200 or so players into 39 rating numbers. That gives you 57 players per rating number.

From our Madden experiences we look at some 70s as starters based on their skills. Imagine having:

Tom Brady 94
Matt Ryan 76
Sam Bradford 66
Kevin Kolb 43
Jamarcus Russel 13

Or something like:

Darrell REVIS 90
Jason Varrett 75
Jalen Ramsay 62
Dimitri Patterson 48
Etc.

You'd have a legit amount of super stars, feeling elite. And bums would be bums, huge liabilities.

Imagine the draft impact of you draft a 21 overall player first round, and pickup a 67 overall in the 6th round!

Overalls:
0-10 can't even get a tryout
11-20 project, has physical tools, just not technical or intangibles.
21-30 practice squad project
31-40 bench player

41-50 fringe starter
51-60 average starter
61-70 solid starter, just really solid in what he does.

71-80 really good player, not HOF caliber, but Pro bowl potential

81-89 Excellent player, just right under HOF, consistent All Pro, just not ground breaking

90+ First ballot HOF
I've always wondered why EA doesn't use the full 100 point scale. There's usually never any players below 55 overall.

# 70 Yazan Gable @ 07/26/16 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRaider510
I've always wondered why EA doesn't use the full 100 point scale. There's usually never any players below 55 overall.
Move a kicker to QB.

# 71 GoJags904 @ 07/26/16 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazan Gable
Move a kicker to QB.
So how long before anyone wakes up and says, "why have a 0-100 scale if you shouldn't use it all." If jj Watt is stonwalled isn't that high schoolish ratings issues. Isn't my qb at 90+ in short, medium, n deep passing not suppose to throw the ball 10 yards over the receiver just because with no wind. Be real because running from problems never fixed anything and if this board is about covering up Madden and just pretending to want feedback on the flaws of the game then state it as such. I don't want to rant like that but every time I see solutions to a problem year in and year out it's mostly don't beat a dead horse responses from a board preaching change. In done and AR15 being snubbed just shows me stats and actual game film don't account for everyone in the league.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

# 72 Yazan Gable @ 07/26/16 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJags904
In done and AR15 being snubbed just shows me stats and actual game film don't account for everyone in the league.
The Top 5 receivers are all better than Allen Robinson.

# 73 GoJags904 @ 07/27/16 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazan Gable
The Top 5 receivers are all better than Allen Robinson.
[emoji15] We'll just have to agree to disagree.

# 74 mrprice33 @ 07/27/16 07:57 AM
Quote:
So how long before anyone wakes up and says, "why have a 0-100 scale if you shouldn't use it all." If jj Watt is stonwalled isn't that high schoolish ratings issues. Isn't my qb at 90+ in short, medium, n deep passing not suppose to throw the ball 10 yards over the receiver just because with no wind. Be real because running from problems never fixed anything and if this board is about covering up Madden and just pretending to want feedback on the flaws of the game then state it as such. I don't want to rant like that but every time I see solutions to a problem year in and year out it's mostly don't beat a dead horse responses from a board preaching change. In done and AR15 being snubbed just shows me stats and actual game film don't account for everyone in the league.

A solution has been posited in this thread. It's just not the one you want.

# 75 GoJags904 @ 07/27/16 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
A solution has been posited in this thread. It's just not the one you want.

I think that the ability to edit ratings will fix any issues anyone could have with the game. I just want EA to balance the game out more out of the box whether it causes some fans to get upset or not about their player not being in the 90s per say. I only get ticked about ratings because the balance of the game is off. It's almost there though.

Sent from my LG via Tapatalk.
Buy my New Single "Cray Cray" on ITUNES @ http://apple.co/28MBmhh

# 76 mrprice33 @ 07/27/16 01:51 PM
Quote:
I think that the ability to edit ratings will fix any issues anyone could have with the game. I just want EA to balance the game out more out of the box whether it causes some fans to get upset or not about their player not being in the 90s per say. I only get ticked about ratings because the balance of the game is off. It's almost there though.

You say that, but it seems your primary grievance is that Allen Robinson isn't rated in the top 5.

As to the debate of whether or not he's top 5...PFF had him at #10, graded at an 89, right behind DeAndre Hopkins. Football Outsiders had him at 8th in Defense-Adjusted Yards Above Replacement, ahead of Beckham and Hopkins (10 and 13, respectively).

Yahoo has him as the 7th-ranked fantasy receiver, behind all 5 of those guys. ESPN has him 6th, behind all but AJ Green. It seems like it's Brown as the clear 1, then Beckham, Jones, Hopkins, Green, Robinson, and Bryant all bunched in as 2-6. So take your pick, I guess.

# 77 GoJags904 @ 07/28/16 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
You say that, but it seems your primary grievance is that Allen Robinson isn't rated in the top 5.

As to the debate of whether or not he's top 5...PFF had him at #10, graded at an 89, right behind DeAndre Hopkins. Football Outsiders had him at 8th in Defense-Adjusted Yards Above Replacement, ahead of Beckham and Hopkins (10 and 13, respectively).

Yahoo has him as the 7th-ranked fantasy receiver, behind all 5 of those guys. ESPN has him 6th, behind all but AJ Green. It seems like it's Brown as the clear 1, then Beckham, Jones, Hopkins, Green, Robinson, and Bryant all bunched in as 2-6. So take your pick, I guess.
No AR isn't the only problem. I have always started Madden with custom rosters because of the ratings to all 32 teams. If the game play animations were tuned better for balance I wouldn't have a big issue. Not only that, but xp progression and player regression has always hindered ratings as well so I'm not digging deep because of the edit feature this year[emoji4]. I really don't see that much of a difference between dh,obj,and ar for the ratings received but so be it. I dont play online much anyways and wont until gameplay is completely fixed. Pass rush, pocket and all to combat the cheese so im good.

# 78 msdm27 @ 07/29/16 05:23 AM
Random question: Why is Hopkins (4.57 40 time) faster than AJ Green (4.50) 40 time?

I see this in others cases throughout the reveals but this one jumped to mind first.

# 79 Yazan Gable @ 07/29/16 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdm27
Random question: Why is Hopkins (4.57 40 time) faster than AJ Green (4.50) 40 time?

I see this in others cases throughout the reveals but this one jumped to mind first.
I mean, it's a 1 point difference. And it's been 5 years since he ran a combine. Could be them messing it up, of course, but at the same time it's not like Hopkins is blowing AJ Green out of the water.

# 80 msdm27 @ 07/29/16 10:58 AM
Sorry man, I see you always try to stick up for the game but... Come on!
In ANY data driven enterprise, as Madden ratings claim to be, there is no "well, is just a one point difference"... That's an absurd statement and even Kane or other Madden dev would probably tell you that they are a bit less willy-nilly than that.

Newsflash, it's been 5 years for both players so I don't see how that's an argument.

And if their reasoning is "game speed" then that is deeply disappointing because I, with all due respect to Kane, can't fathom how someone who was hired for his knowledge of equipment/uniforms suddenly became capable/experienced enough to go through NFL game tape and accurately judge how "game speed" works and then assign it to players.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.