Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

2K Sports just posted a brand new NBA 2K17 trailer celebrating the Dream Team complete with current and legacy players. The trailer is 1:36 and is set to the "Star Spangled Banner" -- and might we say quite timely with the Olympics ongoing.

Quote:
As previously announced, both teams will be featured in the next iteration of the top-rated and top-selling NBA video game simulation series*, in addition to renowned Duke University and USA Basketball coach, Mike Krzyzewski, who is making his debut in the NBA 2K series. Fans who pre-order NBA 2K17 will receive the legendary 1992 USA Basketball “Dream Team”, along with a special USA Basketball MyTEAM card and MyPLAYER jersey to fully customize their USA Basketball experience.

Comprised of NBA Hall of Famers, including Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone and David Robinson, the 1992 “Dream Team” is universally considered one of, if not the greatest, team ever assembled in basketball history. The 2016 USA Basketball team includes NBA 2K17 cover athlete Paul George and Team 2K athletes Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler, and Kyrie Irving.

Give it a watch and let us know what you think!

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 KidHypeTellem @ 08/10/16 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I think they did well in 2k11.

Don't know the limitations or whatever here, but Ronnie claims it was a huge graphics step forward

Looks pretty good for no scan eh?

compared to

Wow I never understood the MJ threads (as I never really paid attention to him in game before) but damn now I see it lmao. He looks really good in 2K11.

# 82 Big Bankhead @ 08/10/16 01:50 PM
It looks ok, but i would like to see more before I decide if I want to purchase or not. The one that jumps at me is how Team USA jerseys look painted on. The jerseys are suppose to be mesh and more thin in the shoulder area. Nevertheless all I really care about is the accuracy of the actual 30 teams and better gameplay. That's what I'm waiting to see.

# 83 23 @ 08/10/16 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I distinctly recall their being some reason given as to why the console version of the game was restricted to only 3 while the PC version was able to do more because of memory or something. Whatever the case, it seems to be resolved now. That's all I was getting at man, damn!
Nope.. that wasnt it at all.. but im just saying, we're talking about maxing graphics.

# 84 scottyp180 @ 08/10/16 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I think they did well in 2k11.

Don't know the limitations or whatever here, but Ronnie claims it was a huge graphics step forward

Looks pretty good for no scan eh?

compared to

I think part of the issue with the look of legends this gen, for some reason, has been due to improvements to facial animations. Last gen they could just focus on getting the look down for players. This gen they have worked on players emoting more through facial expressions. I think some where in this process of recreating legends faces and allowing various areas of their faces to move and become animated it has caused faces to be a bit distorted and inaccurate. Obviously with current players they can scan their faces and various expressions so they know how to accurately animate their faces. With legends they need to basically guess and manufacture how their faces would move. I know of witness instances during gameplay where a player could look great in one moment (usually when having a straight,expressionless face) and then look off or bad at a different point.

Just my speculation.

# 85 Vni @ 08/10/16 01:53 PM
Technically you aren't getting much more on this gen especially since they want their games to run at 60fps. Only way the game is gonna be visually impressive is with authentic lighting, accurate body models and things like that.

# 86 Halloween @ 08/10/16 01:53 PM
Bodies in general are due to improve. Shoulder and neck areas are anatomicly off. Players like Irving and Barnes could easily compete for Mr. Olympia with a little shredding so don't expect much besides Durant.

2k always been committed to detail and I like the trade off for really neat looking faces.

Problem is they somehow can't display players in full quality ingame. Lighting, faces, skin and gadgets drop to low q. Up untill they can't solve this all those graphic improvements seem wasted.

Patiently waiting for a new motion engine. Would open up doors for Czar!

# 87 swac07 @ 08/10/16 01:57 PM
Dope......

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

# 88 23 @ 08/10/16 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
I think part of the issue with the look of legends this gen, for some reason, has been due to improvements to facial animations. Last gen they could just focus on getting the look down for players. This gen they have worked on players emoting more through facial expressions. I think some where in this process of recreating legends faces and allowing various areas of their faces to move and become animated it has caused faces to be a bit distorted and inaccurate. Obviously with current players they can scan their faces and various expressions so they know how to accurately animate their faces. With legends they need to basically guess and manufacture how their faces would move. I know of witness instances during gameplay where a player could look great in one moment (usually when having a straight,expressionless face) and then look off or bad at a different point.

Just my speculation.
How is this for emotion

Or you're okay with this

# 89 LM1213 @ 08/10/16 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackZillaTV
I swear, I need to stay away from the Internet when 2K drops info, always negativity in the vibes.
do you expect nothing but positivity? if people are negative they may have reasons (don't like what they see, past issues that haven't been addressed, etc)..it's just an opinion, everyone has one.

for example, overall Im happy with 2k. however, this year they have lost my excitement due to their ridiculous marketing. I'll still get the game. but a bad tasted in my mouth from marketing...is that negative? you can't expect all peaches and cream just because it's 2k. they still have their things they should be praised on, but things they need to work on too. on a good note, they keep improving, always. except for marketing. lol

# 90 swac07 @ 08/10/16 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
How is this for emotion

Or you're okay with this

Lol the last picture looks likes his name should be "Jichael Mordan" sheesh thats funny

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

# 91 Junior Moe @ 08/10/16 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Nope.. that wasnt it at all.. but im just saying, we're talking about maxing graphics.
That's why I said MAYBE it's a rob Peter to pay Paul type of deal. It wasn't anything definitive. I don't know how this stuff works on a technical level. I don't know what goes into graphics vs the other stuff. All I know is that there was a reason given for why we could only rebrand 3 teams on the console and the PC didn't have that limitation. It seems to be solved this year. The two may not be related. IDK. Whatever the case it ain't that serious...

# 92 MoneyOvaHuds @ 08/10/16 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
How is this for emotion

Or you're okay with this

Lol I mean I get where you going but you can't really compare bro a lot less power going into older 2k games than now . More of the power went into faces and other on court stuff took a hit like the shoes and other little stuff . The facial animations for that time for that game look nice but we have seen way better in 2k16 and it's not close . The 2k game honestly got worse looking after 2k11 . 2k9-2k11 are the best looking on last gen .

I would have been more happy with those graphics with facial upgrades than the art direction they ended up going .

2k prob can do a lot better job than they're doing now with legends but it was a lot easier back then because most of the legends they copied from actual pics . The legends they brought in from last gen to this gen and even some current players looked horrendous being ported over .

2k16 for last gen on the other hand had ported over the ps4 faces to the last games looks almost identical just lower texture on their skin .

KAT on 360 2k16 is more updated than ps4 one .

Idk what 2k problem is but the can't capture the pc mods for console honest truth they prob aren't trying that hard .

# 93 Jakeness23 @ 08/10/16 02:12 PM
I hope they got some 2 or more player celebrations. Would make it seem a bit more real. Also a more realistic crowd that reacts appropriately.

But to get on point... trailer was good, finally got some differing body types, looking forward to really seeing it in action.

# 94 chisportsfan23 @ 08/10/16 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
How is this for emotion

Or you're okay with this

Now I know where I've seen 2k17 MJ before...

# 95 23 @ 08/10/16 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyOvaHuds
Lol I mean I get where you going but you can't really compare bro a lot less power going into older 2k games than now . More of the power went into faces and other on court stuff took a hit like the shoes and other little stuff . The facial animations for that time for that game look nice but we have seen way better in 2k16 and it's not close . The 2k game honestly got worse looking after 2k11 . 2k9-2k11 are the best looking on last gen .

2k prob can do a lot better job than they're doing now with legends but it was a lot easier back then because most of the legends they copied from actual pics . The legends they brought in from last gen to this gen and even some current players looked horrendous being ported over .

2k16 for last gen on the other hand had ported over the ps4 faces to the last games looks almost identical just lower texture on their skin .

KAT on 360 2k16 is more updated than ps4 one .

Idk what 2k problem is but the can't capture the pc mods for console honest truth they prob aren't trying that hard .
No I just don't agree that the reason for bad faces is because of added emotion. That's what he was implying.

If I recall 2k looked pretty good on 2k14, but it started declining a lot after that.

Matter of fact we had to complain quite a bit that 2k15 was too dark. All the arenas were like morgues.

The shoes got better due to scanning.

Really man, they improve so much in so many areas of the game, there is no reason the audio and the player models can't come up to par with the rest of that.

I'm not bashing the art team because i know they work hard and take pride in their work.

That doesn't mean we should start reaching for strings to justify stuff like what we see now like the Dream Team's Joker oops I mean Jordan.

# 96 MackZillaTV @ 08/10/16 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1213
do you expect nothing but positivity? if people are negative they may have reasons (don't like what they see, past issues that haven't been addressed, etc)..it's just an opinion, everyone has one.

for example, overall Im happy with 2k. however, this year they have lost my excitement due to their ridiculous marketing. I'll still get the game. but a bad tasted in my mouth from marketing...is that negative? you can't expect all peaches and cream just because it's 2k. they still have their things they should be praised on, but things they need to work on too. on a good note, they keep improving, always. except for marketing. lol
They've been doing this type of marketing for years, it's smart. Let the anticipation for info build up, release tidbits of info, then drop BOMBSS of trailers, gameplay, dev diaries,etc. I know there's problems with the game, but it's ridiculous. EVERY YEAR they say it's 2KXX.5, yet they still get it and probably spend a $1000 more on it. People ALWAYS point out the negatives and barely talk about the improvements

# 97 Goffs @ 08/10/16 02:14 PM
Sooooo what can they max out? The ones I'm thinking aren't graphically heavy.

Towels on the sidelines
Player warm-ups
Actual hair (might be heavy)

Only thing I can think of is a resolution bump to 4k.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

# 98 chisportsfan23 @ 08/10/16 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyOvaHuds
One thing that stands out to me are the skin tones, they look better here in the trailer. Hopefully it stays that when the actual game drops.

# 99 MoneyOvaHuds @ 08/10/16 02:18 PM
I didn't like the 2k art after 2k11 I loved the more real smokey look if that makes sense

2k9

https://youtu.be/dZ7kL5a7Qrc

2k10
https://youtu.be/iUkD2pb0tdo

2k11

https://youtu.be/L_gdgAvC3Mc

I could live with those with updates face scans and animations

# 100 strawberryshortcake @ 08/10/16 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180

Just my speculation.
You don't need to distort a person's expression-less facial features to have accurate expressions. It doesn't really work that way. Someone creates the model and either the same person or another person will rig that model. Rigging allows the model's body part to move. You don't need to alter the model's initial facial features for rigging facial expressions.

Just look at Draymond Greens and Paul George's face and their respective emotions. Green and George still looks like Green and George. NBA2k17 Michael Jordan on the other hand doesn't exactly look like Michael Jordan.

In addition, getting a person's head and facial features proper pretty much all that is required is a side and front view and a professional 3D modeler should be able to create a properly proportioned face.

Random face rig videos from youtube.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.