Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

We had our own MLB The Show 17 franchise mode Twitch stream, right after Sony Interactive Entertainment had theirs. Make sure you are subscribed to our Twitch channel, so you get notified when we go LIVE.

In this MLB The Show 17 franchise mode livestream breakdown, Millennium runs through the entire stream and points out plenty of details you might have missed. Give it a watch and post your thoughts and don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Gbpackerowner @ 03/09/17 11:35 PM
Millennium,
You do a wonderful job on your breakdowns of the streams.
I for one can't wait for this game to come out!

Thanks much for your opinions and insight.

# 2 MoneyMan17 @ 03/09/17 11:39 PM
I have tremendous respect for all the developers and guys who make this game possible. I love the game and it was the reason I bought a PS3 back in 2012, and I will continue to buy it on day one for as long as they make it.

Still, I can't say that I'm not disappointed that their biggest selling points on franchise mode are critical situations and the new quick manage mode.
Yes, the quick manage mode is an amazing addition and something I have wanted every single year, like they had in MVP 2005. However, this should not be the number one improvement for the mode. I am dumbfounded by the fact that there was nothing done to make the GM/owner role more realistic, no improvements to the offseason process, free agent/trade logic, and stuff like that. Even something as simple as letting you negotiate players contracts during the season was not added. This is the stuff that makes franchise mode about building and running a FRANCHISE. Not how quickly you can play the games...

Nonetheless, still ecstatic for MArch 28th!

# 3 zman2392 @ 03/10/17 12:24 AM
Great respect for the work you do Mill. However I do think you may have gotten the quirks a bit confused. Certain ones such as the Tanaka stamina one don't actually help his stamina. It literally just means he has high rating in that trait. These are the ones that are dynamic and are probably just linked to a base line stat. Say, if he goes below 85 stamina that trait will be gone. I also believe these are the only ones present in DD so really you wouldn't get anything extra that you couldn't get from just looking at his normal ratings. I believe this also applies to the specific pitch ones and all of the Syndergaard ones for example. The ones that say good at night games or good on the road, I think those are the ones they said are not dynamic. I surely do hope I am wrong with this though.

# 4 Rocket32 @ 03/10/17 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMan17
I have tremendous respect for all the developers and guys who make this game possible. I love the game and it was the reason I bought a PS3 back in 2012, and I will continue to buy it on day one for as long as they make it.

Still, I can't say that I'm not disappointed that their biggest selling points on franchise mode are critical situations and the new quick manage mode.
Yes, the quick manage mode is an amazing addition and something I have wanted every single year, like they had in MVP 2005. However, this should not be the number one improvement for the mode. I am dumbfounded by the fact that there was nothing done to make the GM/owner role more realistic, no improvements to the offseason process, free agent/trade logic, and stuff like that. Even something as simple as letting you negotiate players contracts during the season was not added. This is the stuff that makes franchise mode about building and running a FRANCHISE. Not how quickly you can play the games...

Nonetheless, still ecstatic for MArch 28th!
Completely agree. Kind of hard to believe we still don't have mid season contract extensions yet.

# 5 rspencer86 @ 03/10/17 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman2392
Great respect for the work you do Mill. However I do think you may have gotten the quirks a bit confused. Certain ones such as the Tanaka stamina one don't actually help his stamina. It literally just means he has high rating in that trait. These are the ones that are dynamic and are probably just linked to a base line stat. Say, if he goes below 85 stamina that trait will be gone. I also believe these are the only ones present in DD so really you wouldn't get anything extra that you couldn't get from just looking at his normal ratings. I believe this also applies to the specific pitch ones and all of the Syndergaard ones for example. The ones that say good at night games or good on the road, I think those are the ones they said are not dynamic. I surely do hope I am wrong with this though.
That's how I understood it, zman. If so, it's rather disappointing.

The quirks that actually impact the game in a way that the current ratings couldn't capture (like players who thrive late in games, or those who hit breaking balls well) are a good start. But there is so much more to do in this area, especially if the series will continue to forgo tendency ratings.

Just a few ideas of quirks that could really make players unique:
  • Catchers that excel in throwing behind runners to pick them off (Sal Perez, for example)
  • Pitchers that don't do a good job of managing baserunners (Jon Lester)
  • Players who chase high fastballs out of the zone often
  • Players who don't hustle to first base on routine plays
  • Pitchers who tend to get emotional or lose focus when the home plate umpire makes a bad call
  • etc. etc. etc.

I hope to see more of these types of quirks in the future. The quirks that just reiterate that a player is highly rated in a certain attribute don't do much for me.

# 6 dutchy25 @ 03/10/17 01:14 AM
I agree with Mil that these additions will get more average gamers to play franchise, hopefully. But, I would have liked them to talk about things like improving trade logic or free agent signings. My hope is that they've worked on them but didn't think they were stream worthy. Which I'm fine with.

I liked franchise in 16 and understand that drastic changes while wanted by many aren't top priority. Just want to know if a few of the small complaints had been addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 7 Benz87 @ 03/10/17 01:23 AM
Awesome job with the video breakdown, very informative and well done. I know you slightly touched on this in the video, but has it been confirmed by the dev team quirks are 100% dynamic? Such as, they are based of ratings and in-season stats so players AND created prospects will develop and drop them throughout franchise mode?

Thanks

# 8 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/10/17 02:39 AM
Sort of a belated thought after I watched the earlier dev stream, but updates to the generated players (see the year 2052 "The Future" franchise save) has implications for fictional roster creators. Maybe the best way to kickstart editing a fictional roster is to sim far into the future with CPU Roster Control 'on.' Then export the generated players out one by one and import them into a new roster. If the faces and equipment are that much better than in the past, it'll shave off hundreds of editing hours--editors would just need to focus on re-rating and re-naming the players (the names for the generated players are still pretty bad, lol).

# 9 Millennium @ 03/10/17 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz87
Awesome job with the video breakdown, very informative and well done. I know you slightly touched on this in the video, but has it been confirmed by the dev team quirks are 100% dynamic? Such as, they are based of ratings and in-season stats so players AND created prospects will develop and drop them throughout franchise mode?

Thanks

Some of the Quirks are dynamic, some are not.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Operation Sports mobile app

# 10 thescoop @ 03/10/17 11:28 AM
While a lot of the stuff I really wanted for Franchise Mode is still left out, I can't say that I didn't get enough to get me exicited again. It is ok to be exicited and disappointed at the same time. And I agree with Mill, more folks playing Franchise Mode means more focus in future editions. Fingers crossed those future editions start next year.

# 11 bwiggy33 @ 03/10/17 11:44 AM
Forgive me if I missed this somewhere, but I wonder if starting from the regular season will solve the annoyance of having lineups, bullpens, and rotations being automatically generated by the CPU based on how they think the lineups should be set up. I know in years past the devs said there was nothing they could do to avoid this. If we can now keep the rosters how they are straight from OSFM Opening Day, that would be a game changer and save a lot of time for people with making 25 man rosters and having to re-adjust lineups and what not.

# 12 Mike Lowe @ 03/10/17 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Forgive me if I missed this somewhere, but I wonder if starting from the regular season will solve the annoyance of having lineups, bullpens, and rotations being automatically generated by the CPU based on how they think the lineups should be set up. I know in years past the devs said there was nothing they could do to avoid this. If we can now keep the rosters how they are straight from OSFM Opening Day, that would be a game changer and save a lot of time for people with making 25 man rosters and having to re-adjust lineups and what not.

Is there a single MLB team that uses the same exact lineup every single game?

Just trying to help talk you off the cliff!

# 13 Jeffrey Smith @ 03/10/17 12:02 PM
Great video.

I would love to see a quirk for OBP. I have a very hard time taking base on balls even with players with a very good eye.(Jose Bautista for example)
Though I'm not sure how a quirk like this could be implemented.

# 14 Gbpackerowner @ 03/10/17 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
Great video.

I would love to see a quirk for OBP. I have a very hard time taking base on balls even with players with a very good eye.(Jose Bautista for example)
Though I'm not sure how a quirk like this could be implemented.
Maybe the controller could actually shock you when you swing at a bad pitch? Lol

# 15 HustlinOwl @ 03/10/17 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Sort of a belated thought after I watched the earlier dev stream, but updates to the generated players (see the year 2052 "The Future" franchise save) has implications for fictional roster creators. Maybe the best way to kickstart editing a fictional roster is to sim far into the future with CPU Roster Control 'on.' Then export the generated players out one by one and import them into a new roster. If the faces and equipment are that much better than in the past, it'll shave off hundreds of editing hours--editors would just need to focus on re-rating and re-naming the players (the names for the generated players are still pretty bad, lol).
2052, I thought we were limited to 30 years into franchise? When was this changed?

# 16 underdog13 @ 03/10/17 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
2052, I thought we were limited to 30 years into franchise? When was this changed?
I never recall being limited to 30 years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

# 17 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/10/17 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
I'm not sure. They were definitely in 2052 though. Maybe it's been changed. The 30 years number seems vaguely familiar--almost like for Madden or something but I can't quite place it.

Has anyone ever simmed until the game breaks?

# 18 Aensland @ 03/10/17 01:32 PM
Seems like the outfield walls at Safeco are finally fixed. I never understood why they made them look so dirty in previous games.

# 19 AncientDiety @ 03/10/17 02:06 PM
I am a huge Show fan, bought a ps3 for it, and buy it every year, but I would be lying if I was not disappointed, Franchise mode is really stale and needs a presentation overhaul. It feels so closed, never feels like you are part of a league, it needs stat overlays big time, league updates, news during a game.

# 20 KennyJ1976 @ 03/10/17 02:48 PM
I know the transfer system is a little different, but I like the way contract negotiations are done in FIFA. Maybe The Show should add something like that.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.