Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

GameStop has revealed some more Madden NFL 18 features. Check them out below.

Product Details
Madden NFL 18 takes a significant visual leap with the power of the Frostbite engine. See stunning new stadium exteriors surrounded by vast cityscapes and watch the spectacle of NFL gameday come to life in the most photorealistic game to date. Play each matchup to your specifications by selecting from three new Play Styles or play the best real world match ups each week in Play Now Live! With the introduction of even more ways to play, coupled with your favorite modes, Madden Ultimate Team and Franchise, this is Madden like you've never seen before.

New Ways to Play
POWERED BY FROSTBITE Madden Like You've Never Seen Before. See stunning new stadium exteriors surrounded by vast cityscapes and watch the spectacle of NFL game day come to life in our most photorealistic game to date. All-new firework displays, player run-outs and stunning weather elements deliver Madden like you've never seen before. MORE TO COME
PLAY NOW LIVE! Play the best real-world NFL match ups each week! Take the field with your favorite team or play the best weekly matchup using live updates containing the latest rosters, custom commentary and up-to-date stats from NFL.com then continue your season all the way to the Super Bowl from Play Now.

GAMEPLAY
  • Target Passing: For the first time ever, no longer are you tied to throwing at your open wide receiver. Throw to who you want, in the exact spot on the field with all-new Target Passing, giving you, ultimate control over where the ball is thrown.
  • Play Styles: Play the game you want by selecting from three new and unique play-styles catering each matchup to your specifications:
    • Arcade - Action packed excitement filled with spectacular plays and scoring with limited penalties.
    • Simulation - True to player and team ratings using authentic NFL rules and gameplay.
    • Competitive - Your stick skills are key, earn big rewards for your skill or receive bigger penalties.
  • Coverage Assignment: Know your job in pass coverage with an on-screen, real-time UI system informing you of your coverage assignment in pass defense.
  • Coach Adjustments: Customize the AI to fit your game plan and make situational changes to your strategy on the fly as the game demands it.
Favorite Ways to Play
MUT - Build, play, and win with your ultimate team of todays' NFL stars and legends. Madden Ultimate Team (MUT) is the complete NFL team-building mode using your favorite NFL players from the past and present. Play games, collect rewards and upgrade your team with daily, fun and engaging content updates including legendary NFL players exclusively found in MUT. Continuously craft your squad to elite status on the road to building your Ultimate Team dynasty. MORE TO COME
FRANCHISE - Create your Dynasty. Play weekly full game matchups or get through a season quickly by playing as just the offense, defense, or key moments from the game. Grab the reins and control your teams' operations from signing free agents and making trades, to scouting and drafting players, your decisions build your dynasty. Join up with other players and battle through the season in a fully connected league experience. Choose to play and manage your Franchise from your smart phone using the Madden Companion App.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 adembroski @ 05/16/17 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
IIRC, it was you that suggested I move over to PC.

And yes, 2006-2008 were catastrophically bad in regards to your point there.

But 2004 and 2005 were very solid in relation to their era.

If you want to waste a few minutes of life, here's a sim I ran to document it;

http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/v...p=17652#p17652

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I tried to convince a lot of people to move to PC.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

# 122 adembroski @ 05/16/17 07:08 PM
Quote:
Considering everything is built on PC now, you would think they would.

But considering they know it would get modded to high heaven, perhaps that's working against us.

.. being inside their walls, did they care what Football-Freaks was doing at the time?

The PC version is talked about every year internally, it just keeps not happening. I don't think modding is the concern, it's the return on investment. Sports games don't do particularly well on PC. I wasn't working there during FFs heyday, but Ian and Phil was cool with it. Someone leaked a utility for Head Coach 07 to FF once.

. Where it's built is irrelevant, it wont run on Windows unless it's ported. You adjust data and write code on your PC, yes, but it all has to be exported to the dev kit to run.

# 123 OhMrHanky @ 05/16/17 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
lol, damn, I just became one of the people didn't I?

I don't know if it makes it better or worse but i wasn't sure if it was dairy air or something like dairy aire so I googled it prior to posting. Google lied to me!

No defense, I deserve any ridicule, kinda like typing "bone apple tee" I guess

Lol. Yeah, it's all good. I was ROFL when I realized what u meant. I thought maybe u might've voice texted it as well. I will be using this for the rest of my life if it makes u feel any better. [emoji6]. Dairy air, I love it. [emoji23][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 124 bigboyc @ 05/16/17 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
The PC version is talked about every year internally, it just keeps not happening. I don't think modding is the concern, it's the return on investment. Sports games don't do particularly well on PC.

. Where it's built is irrelevant, it wont run on Windows unless it's ported. You adjust data and write code on your PC, yes, but it all has to be exported to the dev kit to run.

Peter Moore was the reason for no PC version. He is gone now. Maybe Madden 19.

# 125 adembroski @ 05/16/17 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyc
Peter Moore was the reason for no PC version. He is gone now. Maybe Madden 19.
Peter Moore was a **** on a lot of levels, but his reasons for not doing PC are no less valid. In fact, they're more valid. Madden would do even less business today because EA's all-in with Origin, and it's doubly crippling not to be on Steam now days.

# 126 jerwoods @ 05/16/17 08:53 PM
Quote:
I'd be curious to know the age range of posters here, and how many Maddens you've purchased/played.

There was a time 32-team control wasn't necessary.

There was a time franchise sim stats were accurate.

There was a time franchise mode was engrossing. Possibly beacuse of its newness, but engrossing nevertheless.

I understand very well the issues that arose with the last console cycle. The economy wasn't the best either. But at those are just hollow excuses to me right now.

If you read the board from 10 years ago, then come back to this, or the other threads from the past few days, you're going to find people asking for many of the same things.

How crazy is that? Honestly?!

i have played every madden since 98 on pc

17 was the best madden total package wise for next gen since madden 12 and 10

the main plom i have is the CPU AI in the 2 min drill lack of awr

# 127 binga30 @ 05/17/17 06:20 AM
Franchise GUI is just ugly. Slow, tedious to get to where you want. I used to love the 09 Madden, train your player with bench press and running drills. It just worked!

# 128 RGiles36 @ 05/17/17 07:25 AM
Add me to the list of those guys super-intrigued by the new target passing. I've felt for years the passing game needed a new take, but I came to accept the enhancements over the recent years and figured we'd never see significant change.

To speculate, I feel like it will have some similarities to Fever's 'Read and Lead'. And I only think that because some of the Sim Standard gentlemen have made videos in recent months discussing read and lead. With those guys being involved to a degree, I'd like to think they were clued in on the possible direction months ago. But again, just speculation.

I just hope it's executed well and its something that the fan base can smoothly transition to.

# 129 therealsmallville @ 05/17/17 10:00 AM
For me, I'm hoping Target Passing works in the sense that Rex (or someone) could demo it in a video, say "I'm going to throw it into the dirt 5 yards in front of my receiver on purpose", and then snap the ball and do just that.

Most of the time, new features fall into the "you can't see it, so you have to play it to get it" category...but Target Passing, if done how I'd prefer it, is easily shown. I have a feeling it won't work like that, but I'm hoping anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 130 ODogg @ 05/17/17 12:09 PM
I'm 47 and have played video game football since the Atari 2600 days. I've played every version of Madden on a video game console ever made. I remember with fondness driving 2 hours to the mall to buy Madden 93 for the Sega Genesis...those were the days..

And I will say I 100% agree with folks who are complaining but I also love Madden and agree with the folks who think some people complain endlessly just because they will never be happy with Madden.

Both camps are right. Madden is awesome but Madden has so many flaws. I've learned to just enjoy it for what it is and not pine for what it could be.

# 131 DeuceDouglas @ 05/17/17 12:45 PM
Quote:
I'd be curious to know the age range of posters here, and how many Maddens you've purchased/played.
I'm 27 and have played every Madden dating back to 94 on the SNES. I still have those little foldouts that came in the box with team rosters, ratings and key plays on them. Before that it was TSB on the NES and TSB, TSB II, and TSB III on SNES. Super High Impact, Football Fury, Troy Aikman Football, NFL Football, Pro Quarterback, Super High Impact, Play Action Football, and 10-Yard Fight all mixed in as well.

I just want something that keeps me interested. Gameplay does it and keeps continuing to get better and more enjoyable. It still has plenty of frustrating flaws but I know it's not going to outweigh the good or the amount of fun it is playing the game on the field. It's a very solid experience.

With CFM it's the total opposite for me. I start playing and there's just nothing there that keeps me interested or makes me want to play more. I just play the games and then there's all of this stuff that I want nothing to do with. I don't want to play practice. Ever. And I don't want my team's development stunted by that fact. I don't want to have my guard or tackle regress because I had one bad game rushing. I don't want to earn an absurd amount of XP because I won a season award. I don't want to essentially edit 53 or more players because I don't trust the AI to do it properly. Scouting and Free Agency are cakewalks, there's just no challenge. Absolutely none of that is fun for me.

If this was 10 or 15 years ago I'd probably enjoy the hell out of all that and play it non-stop but I want so much more from my franchise experience now. Playing CFM makes me feel like a college student in a first grade class. I want all these options and intricacies in team management that I see my team doing on a daily basis. I want it to be a challenging (and realistic) experience to build a good team or keep a good team strong and I hope some of the features implemented this year can aim to give me that. I really like the idea of the Play Live mode though and could see that keeping me playing a lot longer than recent years though depending on what it exactly is.

# 132 Madden08PCgmr @ 05/17/17 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Both camps are right. Madden is awesome but Madden has so many flaws. I've learned to just enjoy it for what it is and not pine for what it could be.

I'm doing all I can do, which is voting with my wallet. Doesn't mean much considering the game is larger than life now, but it's something.

I can enjoy a broken game, I just now put '08 PC on the shelf, which I had been on since the 360 came out. The game is busted as H@ll, as discussed.

Nostalgia really gets me around this time every year though. I want that 'release day' feeling. I miss planning my Madden skip day and clearing out that weekend on my calendar.

I hope in the next few years I can experience that again. I do think it's headed that direction.

# 133 ODogg @ 05/17/17 01:12 PM
Quote:
I'm doing all I can do, which is voting with my wallet. Doesn't mean much considering the game is larger than life now, but it's something.

I can enjoy a broken game, I just now put '08 PC on the shelf, which I had been on since the 360 came out. The game is busted as H@ll, as discussed.

Nostalgia really gets me around this time every year though. I want that 'release day' feeling. I miss planning my Madden skip day and clearing out that weekend on my calendar.

I hope in the next few years I can experience that again. I do think it's headed that direction.

I still get hugely excited. Not enough to take off work but I play it asap, even do the EA access and enjoy it a lot. But I know what you mean, it's not like the old days. Not sure how much of that is the actual game or the fact we've done this so many times before but I know what you are saying.

My main thing is after I play it I think "oh I love this, I'm going to play it 500 hours" and then I do play it a good bit but not like the old days. Again though, not sure how much of that is the game or just my limited time from being an older, married man with a lot of other commitments.

# 134 Ueauvan @ 05/17/17 06:38 PM
53 here, been using pcs since '85 where i worked at IBM for my year out at Uni. Brother had a C64 and i played red storm rising. first console i got was wii as her indoors could play some games and got madden on it. have several 2000-2008 pc versions plus hc06, have every version for xbox from 2005 i think and then changed to xbox one 2 years ago and nfl2k5 after reading here . bought a ps3 to play hc09 and ncaa because of the dvd region thing on xbox. im slow adopting as i am in uk, first pc american football game i got was montana on pc iirc

# 135 ggsimmonds @ 05/20/17 05:41 PM
Quote:

There was a time 32-team control wasn't necessary.

There was a time franchise sim stats were accurate.

There was a time franchise mode was engrossing. Possibly beacuse of its newness, but engrossing nevertheless.

I understand very well the issues that arose with the last console cycle. The economy wasn't the best either. But at those are just hollow excuses to me right now.

If you read the board from 10 years ago, then come back to this, or the other threads from the past few days, you're going to find people asking for many of the same things.

How crazy is that? Honestly?!

I'm 33 and have been playing Madden since the first year they introduced franchise mode (before that it was Gameday by 989 sports).

I've never used 32 team control, so I guess for me it has never been necessary. I think the need for it comes down to the personal quirk of each person. I can live with the AI making questionable roster decisions because that happens in real life.

On stats, I do believe we have been asking for better stats ever since we felt like the technology was available to do so. I do think stat tracking has taken a step back though. I think in 2005 or so the game tracked catches allowed by corners as it was part of the shutdown corner trait. Maybe it was buggy but over ten years later instead of it getting fixed it is now not tracked at all in user games. Not a good look at all.

I think many would agree with me that 2005 or so was the high point of franchise mode. Gameplay and presentation is light years ahead of what it was once, but franchise mode is not as good.

# 136 SolidSquid @ 05/20/17 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I'm 33 and have been playing Madden since the first year they introduced franchise mode (before that it was Gameday by 989 sports).

I've never used 32 team control, so I guess for me it has never been necessary. I think the need for it comes down to the personal quirk of each person. I can live with the AI making questionable roster decisions because that happens in real life.

On stats, I do believe we have been asking for better stats ever since we felt like the technology was available to do so. I do think stat tracking has taken a step back though. I think in 2005 or so the game tracked catches allowed by corners as it was part of the shutdown corner trait. Maybe it was buggy but over ten years later instead of it getting fixed it is now not tracked at all in user games. Not a good look at all.

I think many would agree with me that 2005 or so was the high point of franchise mode. Gameplay and presentation is light years ahead of what it was once, but franchise mode is not as good.
I don't use 32 team control and I do like that the AI can make questionable roster decisions however they do REALLY dumb things sometimes that kills immersion for me, like drafting a qb in the first and second round, resigning Odell Beckham, then signing a top tier wr in FA, then drafting a wr in the first.

There are things you can say "ok the AI GM made a bad move" but there are a whole lot of other things that really shouldn't even be happening

# 137 ggsimmonds @ 05/20/17 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I don't use 32 team control and I do like that the AI can make questionable roster decisions however they do REALLY dumb things sometimes that kills immersion for me, like drafting a qb in the first and second round, resigning Odell Beckham, then signing a top tier wr in FA, then drafting a wr in the first.

There are things you can say "ok the AI GM made a bad move" but there are a whole lot of other things that really shouldn't even be happening
I agree completely, but for me it is not breaking enough for me to justify the added work of 32 team user control.

# 138 jwilphl @ 05/21/17 10:38 AM
Just waiting for franchise details. Thus far they've made it sound like the status quo. I guess it wouldn't be too surprising to see it neglected again for either new or "money" modes.

# 139 roadman @ 05/21/17 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
Just waiting for franchise details. Thus far they've made it sound like the status quo. I guess it wouldn't be too surprising to see it neglected again for either new or "money" modes.
A lot more info to come at EA Play.

# 140 jimmy13 @ 05/21/17 03:42 PM
I wish, like in the old days, you could start a franchise and then play any game on the schedule for every team like in the show. I also wish they had a mode like the show live from MLB the show 15. With accurate stats and records for each team.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.