Home
Preview
NBA 2K12 Preview

NBA 2K is built on a foundation of gameplay and presentation elements that become more refined with each new title. The new additions in NBA 2K12 are sure to be welcomed by the basketball purists. But with a special attention being made to star-player mannerisms and animations, signature style may be stronger than ever.

The first improvement NBA 2K players will notice is the overall polish. Menu colors are vibrant, and the main menu highlights NBA players with in-action still photos. These photos blend realism with the fictional NBA 2K world. Beautifully sculpted in-game player models come to life in pregame introductions. Wade and LeBron might be casually holding a Spalding ball, or Dirk and company might be standing in front of the camera with their mean muggin’ game faces on.

The graphical elements during introductions highlight superstar player models with a sponsored backdrop; the overall feel strikes me as a pay-per-view heavyweight bout, showcasing the world’s best in a tale of the tape. It’s a nice platform to show off the improved player faces and also the considerable detail made to the tattoos. Shading and lighting of the tattoos, coupled with the improved skin tones, were things that caught my attention from the start.

Gameplay Elements

NBA 2K12's gameplay feels more refined. I felt more in control than in the past, partly due to less clunkiness in the animations. Moves were tighter and more crisply executed; this makes it easier to branch from one animation to the next. The dribbling attacks happen in a smaller radius on the court, resulting in more control of your athletes in a given space. This will allow moves in the lane or post to be executed in a more precise fashion without unintentionally dribbling into crowded areas on the floor.

The post-up button has been moved to Y/Triangle, which I am not a fan of so far. It just does not feel practical to use your "shot stick" thumb to press the post-up button before returning back to the right stick. The dual-trigger post-up was inherently natural in my opinion because it allowed for a gamer to hold both triggers to initiate the post-up maneuver. From there, you could continue to hold down one of the triggers and initiate into a variety of moves. On the bright side, drop steps were harder to execute with the improved defensive mechanics that allow gamers to cut off certain angles. I was only able to pull off one drop step in my time with the game.

Beyond that, I was also unable to determine what button the "signature gather" was mapped to now, which tends to be one of my favorite mid-range moves. I was not able to confirm different control schemes, but I’m optimistic last year’s scheme will be an option.

Some other random things I noticed include subtle nuances that have been added for casual dribbles and mannerisms. The game also allows users to add up to 16 plays in a playbook to any particular player on the floor. If Kobe is your guy, he can truly be the focal point now. Another addition I loved was the tweaked in-game coaching strategy mapped to the directional pad. Players can instruct a basic offense to set screens for shooters or to space the floor rather than run specific plays. This allows the game to flow while running a core offensive system on the fly.

NBA’s Greatest

Dr. J steps on the court laced in optical white Star Player high-tops with the bravado of a world-class baller. His history was made, and it is now in the hands of everyone to remake and remix it.

NBA 2K12's Greatest mode is a digital basketball hall of fame featuring playable basketball tales from the greats around every corner. This mode has me beyond excited to play through these classic challenges.

Each era of the NBA is represented dating back to Mr. Logo himself, Jerry West. Animation sets change between eras, shifting from fundamentals of the '60s to the flash and uptempo hoops of the '70s. In my brief time with Ewing and the Knicks, I was able to witness some hard fouls and the ruggedness of the NBA in this era. However, I do not know yet if it was just this game I was playing, or if it was a purposely installed theme in the game. (One can only hope eras will be presented in the game in such a way.)

The legends are true representations, each with his own personal style. (This game mode is most likely where we will see a ton of new animations.) Julius Erving’s body frame appeared and felt unique to his game. His larger than life wingspan, and his maneuverability in the air allowed him to attack the rim at ease.

Bill Russell’s thin frame provided a skill set to rebound and defend over anybody on the court, with considerable touch around the rim. A player from a more Cousy-era has a fundamentally sound dribble game and fundamental shot while rocking uncomfortably tight shorts.

In the old-school Celtics/Lakers game, the Celtics play on old school woodgrain courts with no advertisements in the arena -- just folding tables in place of a scorer’s tables. The commentary had a filter over the voices, authentic to the sounds of the generation.

Final Thoughts

In my short time with NBA 2K12, my excitement level has increased. There seems to have been a focus on distinguishing each player and his skill set, which is a welcomed addition. I hope this focus will lead to more exciting matchups on each end of the floor because it would only enhance the strategies that could be built and executed.

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Goffs @ 08/30/11 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC
Edit: If you had Steam were you able to play online last year for 2k11?
I've read mixed reports but if you do get online the high settings changes to medium or low settings...

I never really tried since i only played the PC version for the mods...

# 62 gabri3l3 @ 08/30/11 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
To be completely Honest, I don't care about current NBA

# 63 Goffs @ 08/30/11 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC
So it it didn't run smoothly? Or the graphics weren't up to par?

Was it only between other Steam users or was it Steamplay (Which I think is between PC and 360 users)?
Not sure. I haven't tried but I remember Ronnie2k tried online and I remember him saying that it was a smooth game.

There is no crossplatform that I'm certain. I even asked this for the wishlist so i can save cash and just get the pc version.

# 64 MurderSheThroat @ 08/30/11 11:02 AM
Hop step is something that real players use, but not like it was utilized in 2K11. It doesn't need to have its own button. When players use the hopstep, they almost always are about to take a quick shot or shoot a quick lay-up or dunk after it. Not hop step 5 feet under the basket, pump fake a bunch, then go up and get fouled. Step back should also be a shot stick shot, and it shouldn't be so easy to make a step back into a jumper unless the player is capable of it. It is really hard to defend that much space, and it's players are anywhere as successful with it as they are in 2K11.

The hop step needs to be moved to the shot stick, and be used a long with the euro-step and spin moves on the shot stick. Also, those moves should only be performed by players capable of doing a eurostep/spin/hop step. Samuel Dalembert should not be eurostepping...

# 65 Knickerbocker @ 08/30/11 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderSheThroat
Hop step is something that real players use, but not like it was utilized in 2K11. It doesn't need to have its own button. When players use the hopstep, they almost always are about to take a quick shot or shoot a quick lay-up or dunk after it. Not hop step 5 feet under the basket, pump fake a bunch, then go up and get fouled. Step back should also be a shot stick shot, and it shouldn't be so easy to make a step back into a jumper unless the player is capable of it. It is really hard to defend that much space, and it's players are anywhere as successful with it as they are in 2K11.

The hop step needs to be moved to the shot stick, and be used a long with the euro-step and spin moves on the shot stick. Also, those moves should only be performed by players capable of doing a eurostep/spin/hop step. Samuel Dalembert should not be eurostepping...
My point exactly, no need for it having a button of its own, since its all over the shotstick already anyway.

# 66 TheKasmar @ 08/30/11 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker
My point exactly, no need for it having a button of its own, since its all over the shotstick already anyway.
What if they do put it on the shotstick and you can still hopstep through defenders all the way to the paint? The improved collision detection and live ball physics should mitigate those problems. The new post up on the Y button is a wild card. I cant wait to see how it works out.

# 67 Money99 @ 08/30/11 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
I think it's safe to say 2K has converted me. I used t be a devout Live believer, but 2K dispelled everything I thought I knew about basketball games.

Haha but seriously, 2K is unstoppable right now. EA better be going hard because a lot of Live fans have that small area in them that wants to go back, but 2K is just SO much deeper, better, realistic.
I think EA might be better off simply going the way of an over-the-top JAM-type game rather than meet 2K head-on with a sim.

I haven't owned a b'ball game since the SNES days but I'm biting the bullet this year.
This game is just too dang deep to pass up. Even though I'm not a basketball fan by anymeans, I like sports and this sim seems to be the best of them all.

See EA, you can cater to the hardcore and non-fans like myself will still come calling.

# 68 Super Glock @ 08/30/11 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I think EA might be better off simply going the way of an over-the-top JAM-type game rather than meet 2K head-on with a sim.

I haven't owned a b'ball game since the SNES days but I'm biting the bullet this year.
This game is just too dang deep to pass up. Even though I'm not a basketball fan by anymeans, I like sports and this sim seems to be the best of them all.

See EA, you can cater to the hardcore and non-fans like myself will still come calling.
Nah, Live 10 was on a very good track with some good sim gameplay,they just need to build from that. Can you imagine how good Live could be if they spent the last two years building off of 10. But in saying that I still think 2k is better and is my game of choice.

# 69 Super Glock @ 08/30/11 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
To be completely Honest, I don't care about current NBA, This game Has all the great 90's teams I will be in Heaven, I can stay stuck in the 90's NBA forever Best era EVER!!!!
Amen brother!!!

# 70 Super Glock @ 08/30/11 03:08 PM
What really has me excited about 2K12 is the y button to post up. I've always struggled with the post up in video games but it sounds like it will be so seamless now.

# 71 Pared @ 08/30/11 03:30 PM
Guys - this thread is about 2k - not EA.

As for the hopstep - you can do that on command as a layup, so it is still there to a certain extent.

What they should do is the following:

-left/right on shotstick + LT = hop step in that direction (like it already is)
-a second flick is required in that direction equates to a finish at the rim. Will also allow you to control how you finish.
-If you don't second flick, you hop step then remain stationary.

This way

1) it's controllable
2) you introduce skill by the user; gone are the hold LT+flick layup shots that are automatic gimmes

It's more complicated this way but it solves the problem you all are pointing out.

You should probably wait and see until you play it before you decide if you like it or not.

# 72 Blak_Baki_Hanma @ 08/30/11 08:23 PM
What improvements have been made to the 2k servers? Will we have to wait another 6-10 weeks after launch to reliably connect to and complete online games? I haven't heard anything from 2k yet so they're either hoping the annual blitz of hype causes amnesia (again) OR online play is not one of their quality assurance focal points.
I suffer through playing against the cpu to develop my My Player but only so that I can take him online for crew games and my main interest is ranked vs matches.

Can someone from 2k please tell us when online play will be operational so I know when to consider making a purchase? After 4 straight launch day burns, I think I've learned my lesson.

Thanks

# 73 jux @ 08/31/11 09:55 AM
It is funny how 2K Sports fail to understand, that the most critical aspect of their NBA game is MULTIPLAYER!

The new version must have proper multiplayer experience (like with starcraft2). That means, fluid online gameplay in USA as well in Europe and Asia. In-game text and voice chat. Player ratings, leagues (like rookie, advanced, pro, allstar, etc). Custom league events. Exhibition games (ranked, practice/friendly). Also 5-on-5 where each player can play only one position. Streetball. Basically all most everything you can do in single player, you can in multiplayer. But it must work FLUIDLY. That mean NO LAG! And what would be cool, is to have a ability for PC vs Console player game.

Dear lord and satan, hear my pray!

# 74 skillz7854 @ 08/31/11 10:14 AM
HopeFully since there is a lockout we can play against actual basketball players online in NBA2K12

# 75 44drob @ 08/31/11 10:46 AM
Nice quick clean Preview (late to the party)

# 76 DJ @ 08/31/11 04:24 PM
Thanks, Steve, for the preview. 2K12 is certainly shaping up to be one of the all-time great sports games, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Chase, you better bring it with your preview!

# 77 F3ardaBlu3Waffle @ 08/31/11 05:33 PM
All I care about is SERVERS......SERVERS....SERVERS.....AND MY PLAYER

# 78 Goffs @ 08/31/11 09:53 PM
When is the part two write up going up?

# 79 DJ @ 08/31/11 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
When is the part two write up going up?
I believe Chase said it would be later this week, so I'd imagine we'll see something either tomorrow or Friday.

# 80 dubill1115 @ 08/31/11 11:38 PM
I have to say that I am looking forward to this greatest mode. Playing in black and white games with grainy commentary and era specific styles and rules is a nice touch. I just hope that some tweaking time was put into the myplayer mode and the game is more conscious of stats overall when it comes to created players. Being more specific, I couldn't stand when "myplayer" or just a created player would have a great half only to get snubbed during the halftime report.. Overall 2k11 is the greatest basketball sim I've ever played and I can't wait to see what this seasons edition brings to the court.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.