Home
Preview
NBA 2K13 Preview (Xbox 360)

What is going on Operation Sports? Today I had the opportunity of attending Gamescom 2012 in Cologne Germany and got roughly 4 hours of face time with a playable demo of NBA 2K13. If you're looking for a reason to buy this game or to wait for another company's offering, you should probably stop reading. I'm giving my honest opinion from the small sample size I was able to get my hands on.

With that being said, I saw some good things as well as some bad things. Below I will break down everything I can and will answer any questions that you may have, to the best of my ability.

Presentation/Atmosphere:

Ok, the game opens up with an aerial view (real life shot) of the American Airlines Arena. Not sure if the music sequence was taken out but it wasn't in the demo. You immediately get sent into a television broadcast in which the starting lineups are introduced. You see shots of the usual Wade doing pull ups on the rim, LeBron doing the powder, and general sportsmanship being shown between the teams.

The commentary didn't really wow me -- they added some new things but it really sounded like last year. I'm sure some new lines and stories were recorded but I didn't get those in the demo.

The crowd... man... the crowd. The crowd, IMO, looked average and they moved poorly. This may be nitpicking but there was too much of that 'Miami burnt orange' in the crowd. I've watched quite a few Miami home games and I rarely see that much orange in the crowd -- didn't look natural at all. I think they need to add more of the home team's primary and secondary colors in the crowd to give it a better blend. Also, since it is the regular season, maybe even add some visiting team fans. Speaking of unnatural, the fans still waved wildly -- sometimes at odd times (like when the home team was on the free throw line). They do sit more but the waving needs to be brought down a notch. Other than that, the crowd swells did happen at the correct times. Honestly, I think the PA needs to be more of a dominant 'noise presence' to give it a perfect blend. Mix him/her in with the crowd swells and the atmosphere would be perfect.

Gameplay (Offense):

Player Movement -- Player movement seemed much more fluid this year. As a user, we have much more control of our player -- I didn't witness many 'mini movies', beautiful news for any 2k basketball gamer. I do however have a slight beef with the player collision system installed. It seemed as if there was a lack of contact animations on some of the fouls inside. The defensive player would fall (very natural IMO) but the offensive player looked as if the foul never occurred.

Other than that, I love the new collision detection, especially on the ball handler. You can really steer a player in the direction you want to go but if you steer too much or can't keep up with the player, as I found out the hard way against Westbrook, they will turn the corner on you and look to attack. The ball handler/defender relationship is a beautiful thing this season. It really makes on ball defense easier to do and turns it into a better option than playing off ball and attacking from the weak side.

Control Stick (Dribbling) - Honestly, this took me ONE five minute quarter to get used to (and the guy beat me 16-15). If you have ever played the NBA Live series you may be familiar with the control stick but please don't say it’s identical. The options you have at just a flick of your thumb, is remarkable. I played one guy and he just looked at me amazed as I used his spamming of the steal button to make him look foolish as a little baby cross followed by a quick hesitation had him reaching while the quick around the back move had him tying shoelaces in the front row. Truly a great addition to the series but don't worry about this turning into And 1. Dribbling, much to my displeasure, still drains energy so any move you do needs to be quick. One day 2k will read my mind and tie dribbling too long with ball security -- the better ball handlers can play with you a little longer than the rest. Until then we have this -- no matter if it drains energy or brings down ball security -- it’s an addition that most guys, especially the ones who haven't mastered the isomotion, will greatly appreciate. And if you are in that #IsomotionAchieved Club, things just got a lot easier for you, as the moves are pretty much similar for the most part.

Shooting - I had some issues but it was more of a 'camera angle' than anything else. I'm a 2k angle (absolute) guy and the camera was on broadcast (camera relative). One thing I did check on was the spin dunk/layup exploit. Either I couldn't do it right due to the camera or they removed it. Every time I tried it went into a half spin and pivot the other way.

Passing - Yes, it’s back. I didn't play against a zone defense to know if it’s truly there but trying to play the passing lanes just got a little riskier this year. The ball was whizzing from side to side with relative ease as well as going where I wanted it to go. Of course the best addition is the bounce pass. I saw some beautiful bounce passes on the break that normally would have been soft lobs that were knocked away or stolen in NBA 2K12. I'm sure I've confused a few German youth today with my complimentary remarks on few great dimes.

Rebounding -- Seen a couple of new animations in this area. The best thing I saw when it comes to rebounding was that the guy who was in the best position normally grabbed the board. No balls warping out of someone’s reach into the person behind them or anything like that. Then again, there weren't a lot of misses to judge as the difficulty seemed to be Pro Default.

Gameplay (Defense)

On ball defense - As I've mentioned above, it has been vastly improved this year. The option to force players a certain way (hopefully virtual Tyreke Evans has a left) will make team defense a bigger key this year. The contact on the perimeter will help you stay in front, but if you're too aggressive you will get burned.

Team defense - Well, this can be grouped into A.I., but correct defensive rotations were made by my A.I. teammates. I tried early to pressure Westbrook to get the ball out of his hands but he turned the corner on me in a hurry. In NBA 2K12, he's yammin' on anything in the paint. This season, the moment he turned that corner your big men (or anyone close) looked to step up to stop the drive. Since I'm talking about A.I. defense, yes I did see double teams. I personally faced a double team controlling LeBron James. The beauty of that double team is the fact that he wasn't hot or anything, it just came because he was in a deadly area, I'll assume for the defense. Unfortunately, the double actually pushed Perkins behind James and I pulled up and knocked down the jumper. Besides that, it’s great to see realistic defensive rotations and double teams make an upgraded return. Hopefully the complaints won't cause the 2K team to nerf them this year.

Bugs/Glitches:

Charge/Flop Bug - I couldn't do it myself but I did see it multiple times performed by a couple of 'charge cheesers' present. From what I can gather (couldn't catch it on film), it looks as if you are beat with your man outside of the 3 point line and click on another defender to draw the foul, when the defender falls (flops -- yes they are in this year from anywhere on the court) the offensive player's original assignment flew to the ground as well, normally nowhere near another player. It was a really weird thing that I hope some of the Team Up guys can find.

Overall Thoughts:

Now I won't say this is the greatest basketball this generation has to offer (even though I believe it will make others 'Watch The Throne') but it will very hard to dislike this offering unless some major flaw presents itself from now until release. A lot of the major things we complained about got implemented from the looks of my small sample. They truly seemed to have put our interests first in this one. NBA 2K13 is working with something special -- only thing missing is a LD2K gif. :)

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 greenegt @ 08/17/12 09:40 AM
Great stuff, JerzeyReign! This is shaping up to be the true next step up from 2K11. I'm hyped!

# 42 NINJAK2 @ 08/17/12 12:00 PM
Thanks for your vids and insights JR. Did you see any injuries? If so, did players still back away from them and stare like they had some highly contagious and deadly disease?

# 43 VDusen04 @ 08/17/12 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Thanks for your vids and insights JR. Did you see any injuries? If so, did players still back away from them and stare like they had some highly contagious and deadly disease?
Ha, yes, it'd be nice to at least see some NFL 2K5-style injury cut-scenes at some point down the line, maybe featuring trainers, maybe featuring players walking off with the aid of teammates, maybe some awesome dialogue of the player saying injury things, like "Ugh, it hurts! Right here in my shoulder." (again just like 2K5). I like when my gaming injuries can serve as one part realistic and one part entertainment.

# 44 swac07 @ 08/17/12 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskier
Beluba said that Y is the button on his twitter
Thanks!!.............

# 45 kevinc @ 08/17/12 01:30 PM
Maybe it is worth it's own thread since it might get lost in here with impressions. Jerzey, thanks for the updates and stuff by the way.

Has 2k ever given a detailed explanation of the difference between camera relative vs absolute?

I always play Absolute for offense and defense and I "sort of" get it, but not entirely. I can tell the difference between camera relative and absolute (partly because of the menu glitch that sometimes moves all your settings around between games) when I end up on Camera Relative from time to time.

Like, is Absolute based on the Broadcast cam or 2k cam? Or is it something entirely different? I would love an extremely detailed explanation of Absolute vs Camera Relative. Seriously, explain it to me as in-depth as you can and like you would to a child.

# 46 blues rocker @ 08/17/12 01:49 PM
thanks for the Gamescom stuff, JerzeyReign.

# 47 Vni @ 08/17/12 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
JerzeyReign have you noticed an improvements on layups? The animation where so lazy and inapropriate in 2K12, you coudn't really penetrate and attack the rim with small guards as well as you could in 2K11 for example. What are your thoughts on that?
If you're around and have time to answer this JerzeyReign I'd be interested. And also another thing, have you seen any of theses scripted putbacks? I've never liked them in 2K12, are they still in the game? Or maybe they are but do they feel more natural by any chance?

Thank you.

# 48 JerzeyReign @ 08/17/12 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
If you're around and have time to answer this JerzeyReign I'd be interested. And also another thing, have you seen any of theses scripted putbacks? I've never liked them in 2K12, are they still in the game? Or maybe they are but do they feel more natural by any chance?

Thank you.
I didn't get to dive deep into it because of the camera angle but from the layups I saw, whether they were done on purpose or automatic, they seemed to be more realistic. Like I didn't see any of those one handed "all momentum stopped out of nowhere" attempts -- all of them seemed to flow with the situation.

# 49 Beluba @ 08/17/12 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
Maybe it is worth it's own thread since it might get lost in here with impressions. Jerzey, thanks for the updates and stuff by the way.

Has 2k ever given a detailed explanation of the difference between camera relative vs absolute?

I always play Absolute for offense and defense and I "sort of" get it, but not entirely. I can tell the difference between camera relative and absolute (partly because of the menu glitch that sometimes moves all your settings around between games) when I end up on Camera Relative from time to time.

Like, is Absolute based on the Broadcast cam or 2k cam? Or is it something entirely different? I would love an extremely detailed explanation of Absolute vs Camera Relative. Seriously, explain it to me as in-depth as you can and like you would to a child.
Absolute means that when the ball is in the dribbler's right hand, moving the stick directly to the left is always a crossover, whether he's facing north, south, east, or west. When the option is set to camera-relative, the direction you need to move the RS to perform that same move depends on which way he's facing. If, onscreen, the dribbler is moving east (from the left side of the screen towards the right) and the ball is in his right hand, you would move the RS straight UP to perform a crossover.

It's a bit difficult to explain but play around in practice mode with both options and it should make more sense.

# 50 Slava Medvadenko @ 08/17/12 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
...I didn't see any of those one handed "all momentum stopped out of nowhere" attempts -- all of them seemed to flow with the situation.
*fist pump*

# 51 Miguelito Kache305 @ 08/17/12 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
I'm wondering about the passing also, this is the second or third time I think someone has mentioned the passing doesn't seem changed from 2K12, but Ronnie mentioned on one the 2K videos that passing has been fixed and we shouldn't see the slow lofty passes any more.
Yeahh... the passing for me havent change much.. they still have that ugly over the head pass tha rarelly happends in the real nba.... This over the head pass only happends when 1-when you inside the pain getting double team and need to reset the play or (kick the ball out of the pain) 2- the lob pass to the post player in the pain.. 3- when you inbound the ball from the sidelines.... I Have an Idea.. why instead on fixing the passing just give us full control of it... for example tap A - foward pass (chess Pass) Hold A- Lob pass most likely used to pass the ball in the pain or out of the pain... LT+A Bounce pass..Easy Right.... Problem solve...
THANK YOU..

# 52 JerzeyReign @ 08/21/12 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Sorry I missed this -- between preparing a video to answer all of the questions I've gotten on youtube, this one slipped by -- my bad. I thought I got to all of them since this thread faded to the second or third page.

No injuries seen but I hope they fixed the 'Ahh! Real Monsters!' approach the players have now. Gonna doubt it though since I didn't even see players going over to pick up fallen teammates. A lot of the after whistle things (injury reaction, teammates helping teammate up, and stopping after a foul) still look out of whack from the GC build.

# 53 jersez @ 08/21/12 03:50 AM
Quote:
Sorry I missed this -- between preparing a video to answer all of the questions I've gotten on youtube, this one slipped by -- my bad. I thought I got to all of them since this thread faded to the second or third page.

No injuries seen but I hope they fixed the 'Ahh! Real Monsters!' approach the players have now. Gonna doubt it though since I didn't even see players going over to pick up fallen teammates. A lot of the after whistle things (injury reaction, teammates helping teammate up, and stopping after a foul) still look out of whack from the GC build.
I think I forgot to ask you how the mid air collisions were, how would you judge the mid air collisions?

# 54 JerzeyReign @ 08/21/12 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
I think I forgot to ask you how the mid air collisions were, how would you judge the mid air collisions?
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best, I'll give it a 6.5-7. You still have those instances in which the offensive players looks undisturbed by the defensive player on some shot animations. In some cases, the defensive player will go flying while the offensive guy will still look pretty as he goes up for the bucket.

Edit: And now that I thought about it -- I think they 'look pretty' in those situations because their isn't an animation for it. Sounds reasonable, right?

# 55 jersez @ 08/21/12 07:17 PM
Quote:
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best, I'll give it a 6.5-7. You still have those instances in which the offensive players looks undisturbed by the defensive player on some shot animations. In some cases, the defensive player will go flying while the offensive guy will still look pretty as he goes up for the bucket.

Edit: And now that I thought about it -- I think they 'look pretty' in those situations because their isn't an animation for it. Sounds reasonable, right?
Sorry to bump this, but can you explain "look pretty"?

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.