Home
FIFA Soccer 12 News Post

For those of you with EA Sports Season Ticket, FIFA 12 is available now for both 360 and PS3 users.

Please post your impressions after playing the Season Ticket early release. If you would like to ask a question about the final version of FIFA 12, please use the Question & Answer thread.

Remember, this topic is for impressions of the game, not comparisons or general discussion of the FIFA series, EA Sports, or anything else. FIFA 12 impressions only, please.

Post deemed to be outside the realm of FIFA 12 impressions are subject to deletion. Thank you for your cooperation.

Game: FIFA Soccer 12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
FIFA Soccer 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 therizing02 @ 09/27/11 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelios7
Lack of cards/fouls just isnt enough of a reason for me not to buy an otherwise great game. Its just not a deal breaker for me. It really seems like more and more people pick one thing that they can focus on as a reason to skip a game and act like its a critical flaw that breaks the game. If it is truly the case that these flaws are dealbreakers, then really we wouldnt be able to play ANY of the sports titles available. All of them have something that just isnt realistic about them.
It's the same as any other game. They all have flaws and it's up to the individual user to decide what he can live with. You can obviously live with the issue. That's great get the game and enjoy, but I don't think anyone on this forum looks for a reason not to buy a game. Personally, I'm trying to find other great areas and things about the game to warrant a purchase.

I've played over 30 complete games(and about 10 others that I quit in frustration) of the early release and the CPU averages less than 2 fouls a game. Taking and defending set pieces are a HUGE part of soccer and the developers have NOT done anything about it in the last 5 editions of this game. FIFA 10 was tolerable at best. The devs actually implemented a Create a Set Piece feature a couple of years ago. My question was, what is the point if I never get to use it?

Would you play an NBA game without fouls and free throws? An NFL game without punts? It's a BIG issue. The piss poor sub patterns of the CPU that have never been addressed, the CPU NEVER changing formations are frustrating, but personally I can live those things. Again it comes down to what the individual can deal with.

For the last 5 years this game has been geared towards the casual fan and the hardcore online players who would normally not even notice the obvious glaring issues and often scripted game play.

# 122 therizing02 @ 09/27/11 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Play a few more games and see if you still feel that way.
Do you think maybe you can elaborate a little more on how/why you seem to be the only player that is seeing fouls/cards? What level do you play on? Do you use CTT? Tell us about your playing style. What sliders are you using?

Just curious.....

# 123 Maxflier @ 09/27/11 12:11 PM
Why are you asking me? I'm hardly seeing any fouls at all being called in the game.

# 124 therizing02 @ 09/27/11 12:19 PM
Quote:
Why are you asking me? I'm hardly seeing any fouls at all being called in the game.
My mistake man. Misread the post.....I need more caffeine!

# 125 theaub @ 09/27/11 12:48 PM
Was there a patch when you downloaded it from ST? Just picked it up and there is one...wonder if that has to do with the fouls.

# 126 clipperfan811 @ 09/27/11 01:15 PM
Quote:
Play a few more games and see if you still feel that way.

I did and.... thanks for blowing my buzz

The foul thing is definitely a problem, I spent the better half of my second game running around trying to run into people. I managed to slide my way into a few yellow cards (2 of which added up to a red) but no outright red cards and it was tough to draw those cards.

It's a shame because for me in the demo I felt that fouls were just right.
It was definitely short sighted of ea to finally (a decade late) introduce sliders and not include a foul frequency slider. I guess it's because they have different refs with varying strictness levels but there's definitely a bug with the fouls.

I'm still going to enjoy the game though

# 127 clipperfan811 @ 09/27/11 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
Did the cpu change formation or tactis when behind? Did they drop a defender for an attacker? Did they change shape to push forward?

I could probably live with the lack of fouls but I have to know the cpu will change formations and tactics as needed.

The game does feel good to play, for sure.
I honestly didn't pay attention to their formations, they did make a few subs but I can't honestly say I know Australia's national team well enough to know whether those subs were tactically smart choices. I did notice a bit more attacking and like I said I dodged a few bullets in the second half. A few nice saves by Howard, the goal which was called back for offsides, one that went of the side post which I thought was for sure going in.

I'll write a more detail impression once I get a few more games in. And maybe I'll go into the question thread and try to answer some questions from there.

# 128 clipperfan811 @ 09/27/11 02:05 PM
Playing Barac (Me) vs Real Madrid 10 min halves pro and it's a 1-1 game about 80 min in Madrid gets possession and I just heard the commentators say "it looks like a tactical switch" "they've gone into a much more attacking form, it almost looks like they have 5 players forward" *wording might have been slightly off but it's basically what they said*.

As a side note so far this game has 4 fouls so far which have all come from standing bumps; also 2 others where the advantage was played by the ref. No cards though.

# 129 mjarz02 @ 09/27/11 03:02 PM
I do agree with most, that fouls are an issue, however I dont think its as bad as some are reporting. You have to work to draw fouls and cards. Using L1 or L2 or flicking with the stick to draw contact works pretty well. I think this was EAs intention to make people work to draw fouls.

I hope they tweak it a tad, but I think it will just take some getting use to.

# 130 slthree @ 09/27/11 04:23 PM
I haven't picked up either footie yet. Its painful for me to wait but I'm holding out for as much info as possible.

Did you see the "5 players forward"? Did they remove a defender?

I want to make sure its not just commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by clid"?pperfan811
Playing Barac (Me) vs Real Madrid 10 min halves pro and it's a 1-1 game about 80 min in Madrid gets possession and I just heard the commentators say "it looks like a tactical switch" "they've gone into a much more attacking form, it almost looks like they have 5 players forward" *wording might have been slightly off but it's basically what they said*.

As a side note so far this game has 4 fouls so far which have all come from standing bumps; also 2 others where the advantage was played by the ref. No cards though.

# 131 bosoxfan1 @ 09/27/11 04:30 PM
wow! first game was having a great time on pro, everything manual except shooting (semi) playing with real madrid against ajax (cpu)... went to extra time and in the 92nd minute scored for the 3rd time with cristiano... As i went to watch the replay, the game freezes on me (xbox 360 slim)

# 132 bcruise @ 09/27/11 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub
Was there a patch when you downloaded it from ST? Just picked it up and there is one...wonder if that has to do with the fouls.
Pretty sure there wasn't.

# 133 Krebstar @ 09/27/11 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub
Say what?! How did this post get overlooked? I'm intrigued.

# 134 younggrease @ 09/27/11 04:50 PM
wait, I just rented this from Blockbuster with my month past. You can't play online without Online Pass? So I gotta spend 800 points on that too?

# 135 bcruise @ 09/27/11 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by younggrease
wait, I just rented this from Blockbuster with my month past. You can't play online without Online Pass? So I gotta spend 800 points on that too?
Yep. EA's been doing this with all of their sports games for quite some time now.

# 136 clipperfan811 @ 09/27/11 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
I haven't picked up either footie yet. Its painful for me to wait but I'm holding out for as much info as possible.

Did you see the "5 players forward"? Did they remove a defender?

I want to make sure its not just commentary
I can't honestly say, it was so late in the game that they really only got like 2 or 3 possessions. I did notice that they pushed the ball up the field with more urgency when they did get their touches.

I love how the game feels when you try to play a realistic game. Like others have mentioned, if you fall back and play solid defense you'll force them to play it back and look for an opening. It's beautiful to experience.

# 137 clipperfan811 @ 09/27/11 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarz02
I do agree with most, that fouls are an issue, however I dont think its as bad as some are reporting. You have to work to draw fouls and cards. Using L1 or L2 or flicking with the stick to draw contact works pretty well. I think this was EAs intention to make people work to draw fouls.

I hope they tweak it a tad, but I think it will just take some getting use to.
I agree with you it's not a huge deal against the ai but I just played online and the guy kept running into me and sliding all over the place, it would be nice if there were a few red cards thrown for that sort of reckless play. Maybe as I get better at shielding at the right moments I'll be able to draw those cards. We'll see how it goes but I'm still enjoying this game immensely.

# 138 CarryTheWeight @ 09/27/11 05:01 PM
Wanted to say just how impressed I am with the PC version quality-wise. If you have a capable system, the graphics and performance are nearly flawless. So much clarity and depth in the graphics and hardly any loading times or slowdown. I haven't noticed any huge bugs or hitches lately, which is good...but compared to the PS3 season ticket version, 12 on PC is unbelievable. I hope a port of this quality is something EA considers if they decide to continue with PC sports gaming in the future.

# 139 Krebstar @ 09/27/11 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811
I agree with you it's not a huge deal against the ai but I just played online and the guy kept running into me and sliding all over the place, it would be nice if there were a few red cards thrown for that sort of reckless play. Maybe as I get better at shielding at the right moments I'll be able to draw those cards. We'll see how it goes but I'm still enjoying this game immensely.
I think at this point we'll only see more cards/fouls with a fix of some kind from EA. The collisions and animations are there, the referee code is not. They said they had to rewrite it all with the impact engine, so hopefully they can tweak it for a patch.

# 140 bcruise @ 09/27/11 05:07 PM
Sort of an impression, sort of a question (I don't own the game now, though I played it on Season Ticket and am on the fence about the PC version):

Why are there so few stats tracked in this game? I looked around the career mode and only saw a handful that didn't even include shots taken. They track so much more in the in-game information, I just wondered why it doesn't show outside the game. It is good in one way though - Less work to match the sim engine stats up with those produced in-game, although in-game yellow/red cards are a problem even then.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.