Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: Little Issues Hampering the Fun

Custom Cameras Will Not Save or Work Online

The ability to create customized batting and pitching cameras is an awesome, game-changing feature, whenever it is working properly. Right now, it is not.

Custom camera angles are not saving after the MLB 14: The Show application shuts down, forcing gamers to recreate their favorite viewpoints each time they load up the game.

While this appears to be a fixable bug, there is also a major design issue, which is the inability to use your custom cameras during online games. If PlayStation 3 titles like NHL 14 can successfully run online matches with 10 different skaters using 10 different custom perspectives, then there is no good reason why a simple one-on-one matchup on the PlayStation 4 cannot do the same.

Choppy Frame Rate

If you're playing MLB 14 The Show with "broadcast" presentation turned on, you've likely noticed the large frame rate dips during the game's transitional cutscenes. You'd think the PlayStation 4's processor would be able to handle a close-up shot of two or three player models in the same frame, so hopefully, this is just an optimization an issue that can be resolved in a future title update.

Gamers playing the Road to the Show mode, which can suffer from a decreased frame rate during live gameplay at certain fielding positions, have no option but to wait for a patch.

For everyone else, the only current workaround is to enable "fast play" presentation, which skips past these slideshows entirely.

Contact Swings are Overpowered

The "contact swing" (circle button) is supposed to be a way for batters to protect the plate whenever they have two strikes and are in danger of striking out.

In MLB 14: The Show, however, contact swings have become good for much more than just fouling off pitches or blooping singles into open gaps; they are just as capable of producing towering home runs.

I can live with muscle men like Ryan Howard or Jose Bautista occasionally powering a contact swing past the fences, but it makes no sense that lightweights like Ben Revere and José Reyes are also able to hits homers with the circle button.

Steals Are too Easy; Pick-Offs are too Difficult

While human pitchers have access to three different types of pick-off throws, the "quick" and "casual" commands are rarely successful, especially against baserunners who have been instructed to "steal on motion" (tap L2). The "deceptive" pick-off is even less effective, as it's more likely to cause a fielding error than to catch a greedy baserunner.

Throwing a pitch-out to the catcher (L1 + X) is also ineffective against human baserunners, as the pitch-out animation is noticeably different from a normal throw, making it easy for the runner to hit the "go back" button (R1) as soon as he sees the animation begin.

Increasing pick-off success, decreasing pick-off overthrows, and making the pitch-out animation less distinguishable from a normal pitch would all help to balance MLB 14: The Show's baserunning, which currently favors the offense over the defense.

Community Challenges Ruined by Long Loading Times and Rigged Reward Systems

During MLB 14 The Show's opening week, lengthy loading times were hurting every game mode. Thankfully, Community Challenges are now the only area of the game that's still taking too long to load.

Walk-off scenarios that can be beaten in 10 seconds of gameplay require a full minute of loading before the game is ready for you to swing the bat. Add another 30 seconds of waiting around every time you need to retry a failed event.

Even if you can stand the constant loading, the majority of affordable events cost the same amount of stubs to enter as they reward if you win, making most challenges pointless, if your goal is to gain stubs.

Online Franchise Games Failing to Register

Nothing sours a night of gaming like finishing an hour-long match, only to realize that your game did not count and will not be recorded due to a server error.

The NBA 2K, Madden NFL and NCAA Football series have all dealt with similar issues in their online franchise modes, and now, MLB 14: The Show will also need to figure out what's preventing these matches from registering consistently. Otherwise, few gamers will want to waste their leisure time playing games that may or may not count.

Local Multiplayer Needs More Pitch Cursor Options

"Couch multiplayer" has been making a comeback in recent months, thanks to fun releases like Sportsfriends, TowerFall Ascension, Samurai Gunn and Nidhogg.

MLB 14: The Show does not belong on that list, until it includes an option to hide the pitch cursor's yellow breaking ball tick marks.

Since your friend can tell the exact type of pitch you've prepared just by looking at the yellow markers on the TV screen, the pitcher/batter duel begins to feel as if the pitcher is equipped with an empty water pistol, while the batter has a loaded RPG.

Disabling the pitch cursor entirely is the only way to keep friends guessing, but that option still leaves the pitcher at a significant disadvantage, since he cannot see where he's aiming his throws.

[

Batting Interface Lacks a Ball Icon

Speaking of pitch cursors, MLB 14: The Show could greatly reduce the frustrations of its "zone" hitting style if there was an on-screen icon that represented the ball from the time it left the pitcher's hand to the time it crosses the plate. Presently, the ball's location only appears on screen once it's inside the catcher's mitt.

Baseball titles from Konami, SEGA, Nintendo, EA Sports, Acclaim, etc., have all offered this method of hitting, yet Sony's MLB: The Show series still does not.

Baserunning Controls Need a Middle Ground

Fully automated baserunning and fully manual baserunning should not be baseball gamers' only choices.

Players who have experienced Konami's Pro Yakyuu Spirits and Power Pros series know what an excellent alternative the "lead baserunner only" control scheme can be.

When commanding only the lead baserunner, you still get that feeling of being in charge, without having to micro-managing two to four players at once using complicated button inputs.

Additionally, this option could become the default online baserunning method for MLB 14: The Show, providing a nice balance between total computer control and total user control.

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jmik58 @ 05/22/14 08:26 PM
I've played The Show for nearly 5 years and I love Zone hitting as it is. It's taken a long time to get good at it, but I love it. I love trying to predict the contact point with my left thumb while timing the swing with my right. it's a very challenging and rewarding system IMO.

# 22 gator3guy @ 05/22/14 08:38 PM
I rarely use contact swing unless I'm 0-2 or has a weak hitter at the plate, but I was hitting with Jean Segura, 1 out, man on 3rd, 0-2 count, I just wanted a ground ball up the middle so I did swing influence "down" and contact swing. Don't you know the next pitch goes 420 to dead center. Keep in mind Segura has like 37 power. Not sure if something got messed up in the code, but I was shocked when it happened.

For me, the things that really bother me at the moment:

Sliding/warp tags- It takes away from making a great read, when my player is sliding in mud and the CPU pulls a swipe tag out of the sky. This has been in the series for years now.

CPU sliding into every base- it completely takes the hit and run option out for me because I can never go first to 3rd. I have no idea what is causing it.

White generic faces in "The Show Live" for SCEA CAPS. Pretty much ruined the mode for me. Playing with the Mariners and seeing James Jones with a white face, beard, and black arms is a big eye sore.

No hit variety- No bloopers. No hits over OFers. The OFers react too quickly still. The outfields still look too small. All my hits are either HRs, line drive one-hops in front of the OFers, or ground balls up the middle. It's pretty disappointing we still have this problem in the series.

# 23 cardinalbird5 @ 05/22/14 10:00 PM
I also don't find contact to be that big of a deal. I've hit 2 homeruns with it in about 15 games. I also play on Legend with Houston. Maybe contact is OP on AS or lower, but then I'd recommend putting the difficulty up.

# 24 ShaBoomer @ 05/22/14 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
http://theshownation.com/bug_reports/12714

It almost seems like a bug or something they overlooked somehow.
Can you explain it a little more in depth? Or provide a video? I've never seen this happen, and I'm not sure what you mean by playing "under ALL PITCHES".

Do you mean when you play with Quick Counts OFF?

I play RTTS and Player Lock (in Franchise Mode) all the time, never had the camera circle around.

I'm gonna try now...

# 25 zukes @ 05/22/14 10:17 PM
To the author:

gameplay, pitching, pitching ball marker fade (you can feel the edges of the zone with rumble)

advanced,pitch callout to off

This is to prevent your on same couch opponent from knowing pitch type and location

# 26 Bigsheen @ 05/22/14 10:28 PM
Biggest issue is the pickoffs on both offense and defense. Too many overthrows, and maybe its just me being slow but it has become almost an automatic pick off if you take one step off the base.

# 27 @legendm0de @ 05/22/14 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoomer
Can you explain it a little more in depth? Or provide a video? I've never seen this happen, and I'm not sure what you mean by playing "under ALL PITCHES".

Do you mean when you play with Quick Counts OFF?

I play RTTS and Player Lock (in Franchise Mode) all the time, never had the camera circle around.

I'm gonna try now...
Yea it is only something that happens in this mode when you play and select to see all pitches. You get options to watch only your plays and at bats, and certain other options. Then you get the option to see all pitches, when you select that you will see the issue unless it has been patched with I would really doubt. I've only attempted one player lock game and it was such a horrible experience I've yet to go back for more.

# 28 ShaBoomer @ 05/22/14 11:07 PM
Quote:
Yea it is only something that happens in this mode when you play and select to see all pitches. You get options to watch only your plays and at bats, and certain other options. Then you get the option to see all pitches, when you select that you will see the issue unless it has been patched with I would really doubt. I've only attempted one player lock game and it was such a horrible experience I've yet to go back for more.
Does it only happen when your player is in the field? I'm player locked as Bautista right now, sitting on the bench watching the end of inning. No spinning camera yet.

I'll update once I hit the field.

# 29 asu666 @ 05/22/14 11:09 PM
I love The Show, but I waited to get the PS4 version and was pretty disappointed. My expectations were probably too high. The visual bump was nice, but not huge. Definitely not worth the extra 30 GB of hard drive space over the PS3 version. The frame rate stutter was pretty bad on my system too. Plus, the game made my system fan run hard after a couple of innings.

I did like additions like the ball boys on the field, but strangely, I noticed little graphical details in the PS3 version missing from the PS4 version (i.e., the "A" logo on Chase Field's sliding roof). Anyway, I am playing the PS3 version again and loving it while I wait for next year. At least Sony San Diego didn't completely screw up the single-player offline game like NBA 2K14 did, so the shortcoming during the transition are understandable. FIFA 14 is the best sports game at launch and it looks like it will stay that way for a while longer.

# 30 videobastard @ 05/22/14 11:11 PM
I wish they would hurry up and fix the warping and whats happening on screen not matching whats really going on.

# 31 ShaBoomer @ 05/22/14 11:13 PM
Quote:
So yeah, still a problem in the game. It only happens for me if I choose "1st Person" under Presentation Style in the RTTS options. If its on Broadcast then the camera just cuts to the pitcher/batter between pitches.

I can see why it would be hard. Very nauseating.

# 32 @legendm0de @ 05/22/14 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
I love The Show, but I waited to get the PS4 version and was pretty disappointed. My expectations were probably too high. The visual bump was nice, but not huge. Definitely not worth the extra 30 GB of hard drive space over the PS3 version. The frame rate stutter was pretty bad on my system too. Plus, the game made my system fan run hard after a couple of innings.

I did like additions like the ball boys on the field, but strangely, I noticed little graphical details in the PS3 version missing from the PS4 version (i.e., the "A" logo on Chase Field's sliding roof). Anyway, I am playing the PS3 version again and loving it while I wait for next year. At least Sony San Diego didn't completely screw up the single-player offline game like NBA 2K14 did, so the shortcoming during the transition are understandable. FIFA 14 is the best sports game at launch and it looks like it will stay that way for a while longer.
Funny, FIFA 14 had the most noticeable changes to its gameplay at launch but it still suffers in too many areas that left me disappointed personally so I don't even have FIFA14 graded ahead of MLB 14 The Show. This game is still absolutely solid, and you did perhaps come into with too many expectations if you were not tracking it's information pre-release. The game I am playing is still worth the upgrade for me even with it's shortcomings. Either way, we have Watch Dogs around the bend now so it's all perfect timing, I got my PS4 in May and now I have plenty to do with it. Still have PS3 plugged to for GTAV This is so off topic

# 33 tb24ster @ 05/22/14 11:25 PM
my problem is the crowd reaction to certain plays in the game. in the bottom of the 9th i was down 1 run and the crowd was quiet and not into the game. the crowd should be more into the game and standing and cheering the hitters on. i think it should be louder and more reactive to the game. anyone else have this issue ?

# 34 tb24ster @ 05/22/14 11:30 PM
besides the low crowd reaction and lack of noise from the crowd, this is one of the sickest games out on the PS4 , maybe they can patch that in later. especially during the post season , the crowd needs to be pumping through out the game.

# 35 @legendm0de @ 05/23/14 01:30 AM
Another small issue that needs to be mentioned is that late reaction, almost a studder motion the batter makes after a pitch crosses the plate. It has never been a part of any past games, and feels and looks like a buggy motion that needs to be smoothed out.

It reminds me of the glitch they used to have on the intro that they have now smoothed out on Patch 1.

# 36 Will I Am @ 05/23/14 01:34 AM
I'll add a couple of my pet peeves.

Why oh why does scea not fix the dropped third strike, it gets old after 6 or so years.

Why oh why does scea not fix the ease of hitting opposite field hrs. it too gets old after 6 or so years.

# 37 @legendm0de @ 05/23/14 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
I'll add a couple of my pet peeves.

Why oh why does scea not fix the dropped third strike, it gets old after 6 or so years.

Why oh why does scea not fix the ease of hitting opposite field hrs. it too gets old after 6 or so years.
I think the fix of opposite field HRs can be found in the sliders because I find it very rare to hit them. Although Justin Upton did hit one on me tonight in Spring Training, but it was a 2 Seam FB intentionally out over the plate by a LHP around 89 MPH. So a RH with power guy hitting that for a HR made sense. Otherwise, opposite field HRs are rare after going to work a little bit on the sliders so I am happy with that.

And the thing I noticed is it doesn't come down the Power slider at all. I actually of all sliders have that as the ONLY one left at or even near default. Except for Manager Hook

# 38 NAFBUC @ 05/23/14 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

When it comes to the total package, MLB 14 The Show is one of the top games of the year. However, despite what is an overall solid package, the title is held back slightly by a host of small issues which add up to an actual loss of some of the fun factor within the game.

Read More - MLB 14 The Show: Little Issues Hampering the Fun
Thanks for starting this discussion Chris. I have always been an ardent defender of The Show over the years to the extent of being called a 'fanboy' etc.

The PS4 version is lacking in numerous areas and even with the late release date this year, The Show is far from a polished product.

I admit when 2K announced they were no longer producing baseball, my initial reaction was (in my best Howard Cosell voice), DOWN GOES 2K.

Like many aspects of life, competition can make us better. Maybe that is what SCEA could use.

# 39 dutch4404 @ 05/23/14 10:44 AM
I'm tired of my guys helmet popping off 75% of the time he slides. What was a cool little detail has become ridiculous. I find myself yelling at my rtts guy, 'find a helmet that fits!'. I've played a lot of ball and my helmet has never fell off on a slide. I know it can happen, but calm it down a bit

# 40 tbbuccaneer87 @ 05/23/14 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUFAN
Too many good check swings being called for strikes.
/end thread

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.