Home

I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden

This is a discussion on I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #65
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
HAve you actually played Madden 08 yet?

And please slider threads? The Holy Grail of football games 2k5, needed massive slider adjustments to get the game play the way people wanted it. That's a poor argument.
We weren't talking 2K5, but thx for bringing it up. No, I haven't played Madden 08; part of the reason I haven't posted in the Madden forum. And no demo yet. Strangely I haven't seen it in demo kiosks in stores. Someone may give it to me for free, but I'm not going to hold out hope on that one. As I said I'm basing my statements off what people have been saying in the Madden forums/impression threads. Since many are commenting on needing to make slider adjustments/change the way you think about how DBs should react in order to cut down on interceptions (fumbles are another thing) and are talking about hope of a forthcoming patch, I think it's safe to assume turnovers are an issue. My reasons for not getting the game are simple:

- I haven't seen any gameplay video that's been great to me. And I'm not exaggerating. The QB anims annoy the hell out of me and I don't like the lack of player interaction.

- Gameplay impressions. While many have been glowingly positive, they're mostly from people I'd expect to see the game that way. Of the I like the game - proceed at your own risk/I don't like the game - proceed at your own risk posts, I see a recurring theme. No one seems to be able to say what the game does that's exceptional, or it's really, really good at. And I'm not talking about in comparison to it's subpar previous versions.

- Given the two initial reasons, I have no desire to be one of the x-number of millions EA will cite as validation they've produced a great game. So in part there's a principled stance there. I brought the 360 and PS2 versions last year and were disappointed by both. That the PS2 version STILL lacks the ability to play w/o the vision cone on on the higher difficulty levels is absolutely ridiculous imo. It really is.

Given the responses in this thread, I'm positive I made the right choice.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #66
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
The reviews just gave Madden a free pass, again.
B/c it's Madden. Honestly, it could have terrible reviews and still seal great. I know, I used to but it just b/c it was Madden no matter what. Up until last year when it was by far one of the worse games I've played on next gen.

No free pass from me, I'll rent it to give it a fair shot, if it's playable I'll get it when the price drops or for cheap off eBay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 08-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #67
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
- Gameplay impressions. While many have been glowingly positive, they're mostly from people I'd expect to see the game that way.

The funny part is the negative responses are also from the people you'd expect to be negative. But I guess you'll leave that part out.

Best advice is to not get it. No matter who good or bad it is, you won't like it.

As far as 2k5. You didn't get it. Using the need to make slider adjustments as a reason the game is poor is silly. 2k5 whom many regard as the greatest of all time, also needed massive slider adjustments to play a good game.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #68
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
The funny part is the negative responses are also from the people you'd expect to be negative. But I guess you'll leave that part out.

Best advice is to not get it. No matter who good or bad it is, you won't like it.

As far as 2k5. You didn't get it. Using the need to make slider adjustments as a reason the game is poor is silly. 2k5 whom many regard as the greatest of all time, also needed massive slider adjustments to play a good game.
I looked at the Madden forums, they have a hell of a lot more forums complaining about the game than NCAA and APF. I don't think those complaints are all Madden bashers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 08-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #69
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiznetno1
No free pass from me, I'll rent it to give it a fair shot, if it's playable I'll get it when the price drops or for cheap off eBay.
The key for me when you play it is the same thing 2k folks used to say to Madden folks back in the day. When you play it, give it some legitimate time before you pass judgment.

Initiallly I was not feeling Madden, I played it some more and I really began to enjoy it. My biggest pet peeve at the moment is pace. The pace, especially between plays and at the LOS,seems rushed and too fast. Also I think not having offensive line calls, that it used to have and APF have is a major downer for me. I really like being able to change my protection in the pass game.

I will say this safety play in Cover 2 is much improved over previous versions of madden. And the individual player ratings seem to have much more impact than they ever have, which has always been one of my biggest Madden complaints. Speed is no longer the only attribute that matters. Fast WR, that suck at running routes, generally don't get seperation, etc.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #70
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiznetno1
I looked at the Madden forums, they have a hell of a lot more forums complaining about the game than NCAA and APF. I don't think those complaints are all Madden bashers.
I disagree. I think also people who complain are more likely to post more frequently. And as someone said in another thread, just due to the massive numbers Madden puts up in sales, you're going to have more complaints. Using forums as the sole basis to judge a games quality, as I have found out is the wrong way to go about it. Especially with football games, for me finding balanced opinions of the game, from people whom I know don't have another agenda is difficult.

Madden and APF for that matter are not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but a lot of the complaints I see are either overblown, or just a series of people piling on.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I like all 3 games this year. So I may be way off.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #71
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

so BK, would you recommend Madden or NCAA? I am looking at getting one or the other for a deeper single player experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #72
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
so BK, would you recommend Madden or NCAA? I am looking at getting one or the other for a deeper single player experience.
Me personally. I like NCAA better. I love the dynasty mode and the recruiting. I like the pace of the game better. I like the varied offenses and talent levels of the teams, and the stadiums. The EAsportsworld stuff for highlights and pics adds so much to the game for me (major disspointment that this isn't in Madden). I also think the superisim stuff works better and is better implemented in NCAA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »