Home

Sadly It's Over

This is a discussion on Sadly It's Over within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Sadly It's Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo0007
Hey bud, check out http://www.vgchartz.com. The tally up to this point between the PS3/360 versions are up to approx. 130,000 copies. IDK, sounds pretty decent to me...

That is NOT good. last week the PS3 version sold less than 3000 copies, the 360 version sold 7700. With Madden dropping this week.........it looks bleak for sales.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface
That is NOT good. last week the PS3 version sold less than 3000 copies, the 360 version sold 7700. With Madden dropping this week.........it looks bleak for sales.
how do you know its not good for a unlicensed football game going up against the nfl and ncaa juggarnaut games ? whats the benchmark ?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 5

That was a pretty poor article. They believe that 500,000 units of APF will sell before the end of the year. That is actually fantastic news!!! Certainly beyond my forecast. Additionally the article does not state how obviously insane it is to expect APF to sell anywhere near Madden numbers. An exclusive NFL license will tend to do this. 2K knew that going in. Honestly I can't imagine that they would not be pleased if they moved 500,000 units.

As Bugs would say "what a marooon!!!"

Look, there is going to be an APF 2009. 2K is positioning itself to get the NFL back.

I imagine that a jump in sales will occur near Christmas. I trust that this woman knows something (although she certainy does not betray a lot of knowledge in this article).

Last edited by Paytonsplace; 08-17-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytonsplace
Look, there is going to be an APF 2009. 2K is positioning itself to get the NFL back.
Maybe you should notify 2K and Take Two of this fact because one of their people, Anthony Chau, said that this game would be made every 2 years if successful. So as BK said, a 2K10 might happen if they're satisfied with 2K8's performance but a 2K9 is a stretch. It might have happened if 2K8 had come out and sold way more than expected but by Take Two's own admission at this point they're neither pleased nor disappointed with the game's number.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3
Icon12 Re: Sadly It's Over

Uhm... No. It's not over... Unless 2K Sports/Visual Concepts have dumb lawyers who failed to tie up their Legends for at least a good two or three years of commitment, if not flat out exclusivity. If they have the ability to use those Legends without distributing any further funds, then they are in good shape. EA Sports will make a move to get new NFL Retirees under binding, lasting contracts though - likely as an extension of the contracts already in place with the NFLPA. This is what could potentially hurt future rosters. I think guys like Lawrence Taylor, who already have a tie-in to an existing videogame franchise, might eventually become playable in the APF2K'X' series. Other guys like Marshall Faulk, who work directly for the NFL, aren't going to appear in the series at all.

I think there was a single major tactical error made in the release of APF2K8. They thought it would be a good idea to bring the game out in July, before Madden 08 hit the market. If the game had sold twice or thrice as many units in the first month of release, that gamble would surely have paid off. But by releasing so close to the juggernaut, this game seems that much more of a failed competitor in relation to it. I think this series should have been launched in November, the week of Thanksgiving instead. People would be more in a trying and buying mood by then and might have begun to get bored with Madden 08 as well. Just imagine if most of the videogame commercials during the Thanksgiving Classic focused on the Legends who appear in APF2K8...

Wouldn't it be great if a new generation of gamers came to expect and associate a new All Pro Football 2K release with the week of Thanksgiving? I think it so. Take care, happy gaming, enjoy life!

Toyoniya Hiyaku, Noromuoy!

Red Ronin, The Cybernetic Samurai

A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]
Old 08-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #38
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13

They should of priced the game at $40 from the beginning, it would of done better
Old 08-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 12

A football game in Nov? Please...

Nov would be a horrid month to release a football game.

First you would have NCAA and Madden already released and the majority of sports gamers content with either one or the other....then around that same time frame you would have all of your basketball games released....not to mention companies usually roll out their heavy hitter titles around the Christmas season.

If 2k is to release another football game, it needs to be well before any other football game has hit the market. Notice how 2 months or so before NCAA releases the hype train starts and everyone is excited about the upcoming season.

That is the prime time to release another football title. People are willing to pick up the game then...just like a ton of people pick up NCAA just to tide them over until Madden drops.

The majority of sales from sports titles come from within the first month of it being released. 2k could position themselves to corner the football market a month or 2 prior to EAs game and get its sales then. I know many will point to the fact that alot of gamers will wait for a price drop, but ultimantly that doesnt help the company one bit. With all of the establishments that sell pre owned games, ebay, and craigslist...you will be able to get a used copy for cheaper than a price drop.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytonsplace
That was a pretty poor article. They believe that 500,000 units of APF will sell before the end of the year. That is actually fantastic news!!! Certainly beyond my forecast. Additionally the article does not state how obviously insane it is to expect APF to sell anywhere near Madden numbers. An exclusive NFL license will tend to do this. 2K knew that going in. Honestly I can't imagine that they would not be pleased if they moved 500,000 units.

As Bugs would say "what a marooon!!!"

I imagine that a jump in sales will occur near Christmas. I trust that this woman knows something (although she certainy does not betray a lot of knowledge in this article).

I have a great job now and a business degree...

Matter of fact, I make enough now that Im willing to make a wager...

$250 to every poster in this entire thread, no matter how many posts, if 2k8 hits 500k in sales.

The majority of sales that 2k will get from this point on will be pre-owned peer to peer sales. No matter how many times a game changes hands after its initially purchased...even if 1 millon times...equals no extra money beyond the initial purchase.

Clearly the writer of this article has no clue how business works, nor has any clue about projections in marketing and sales.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »