Home

Sadly It's Over

This is a discussion on Sadly It's Over within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2007, 12:29 AM   #49
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Sadly It's Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ronin
RD: 28-35 million is "break even"...? I'm SO glad I didn't bother to go read that article...

Crimsontide: Football games used to be released in November ALL THE TIME. Juggernauts like Madden sell even more millions because they launch during training camp. APF2K8, not being a juggernaut, should not, can not, ought not even attempt to either jump the gun or compete head-to-head with said Madden. Aggressively marketed, with a full feature set, priced appropriately, it would perform better as a Thanksgiving release than a mid-July or late-June release. Heck, they might, could, ought to consider a re-launch of the game in Thanksgiving 2007, with copious advertising and a $39.99 price tag.

Red Ronin
I have no idea why you think a football game released in November is a better idea.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:04 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 12

My opinion is just as right as anyone elses is.

What makes you think I dont want another 2k game? Im all for competition, as everyone in the end is better off..no matter which game you prefer.

NCAA and Madden will continue to release in July / Aug. By the time Nov rolls around, everyone has their football game, everyone will have their basketball games and everyone will be looking forward to the holday release season, which is typically the time the more prominate games are released. To me, 2k would be on the backburner if it released that late in the season.

However, if you look at current and past trends, May / June time period everyone is looking to get any information about any football game on the radar. It would be the perfect time for a release in my opinion, as that is when the excitement is at its peak.

There is no way even remotely possible that 2k8 hits 500k in sales...which is what I replied to earlier. Doesnt matter if it is the greatest game on earth, its just not gonna make it.

Its sales have peaked, period. The majority of people that wanted a football game have already made their purchases, wether it be NCAA, Madden, 2k..etc. A price drop at this point certainly wont help it that much at this point either. There are so many used copies around for sale that most people would just pick up a used copy. Buying a preowned game doesnt increase sales.

As for the comments that 2k is trying to get to the point to compete for the NFL exclusivity is not even remotely possible. There is no way if the NFL offers exclusive rights to itself again that 2k would be in any financial position to compete with EA. Wether we like that or not, its a fact...not speculation. The best that we could all hope for is that the NFL doesnt offer exclusive rights again and everyone can go back to making games. Thats the best case scenario.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 AM   #51
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
Its sales have peaked, period. The majority of people that wanted a football game have already made their purchases, wether it be NCAA, Madden, 2k..etc.
True, I had a choice between NCAA and APF to get first, I chose NCAA. I think only hardcore 2K fans bought 2K when it 1st came out.

I think part of that also had to do w/ the piss pore marketing done by the APF staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #52
MVP

OVR: 12

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They wanted to build a base for a football game and did. The exclusive license is up in two years and EA has been having a few down years financially. Madden had disappointing sales last year and with this year's version sucking too, it might be another down year (and yes I know they sell 50 million copies but they spend a fortune for the license, marketing, and building for all platforms). Perhaps the folks over there are banking on EA not picking up the exclusive deal or outbidding them when the time comes.

I'd also note that they could benefit from a price drop right about now. With Madden being disappointing, it could pick up some football fans looking for a change of pace at a cheap price.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:07 AM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 3

Crimsontide27: Your opinion is fine actually. It's just that I know for a fact that football games released in November have been successful in the past. I also know that every time someone has attempted to start a real world football league that ran through late Spring/early Summer it has been a failure (compared to expectations, prognostications, projections and hopes).

The idea has always been to bring football to the masses during the NFL/NCAA off-season, so as to get them over the hump with their longterm addiction to pigskin viewing. The Arena Football League survives by keeping their mouth shut. USFL? Dead. XFL? Dead. Sure, mistakes were made with both and the new league may fix some of those issues but the fact remains that America is tuned to watch football primarily from August through January - period.

My point is that APF2K8 will likely not sell any more copies in mid-July 2007 through January 2008 than they would have mid-November 2007 through January 2008. Presuming they crack 250,000 copies sold at retail before year's end, that would have been much more impressive over six-to-eight weeks than six-to-eight months.

Also, though some think 2K Sports has their sights on attaining the NFL License again, I wouldn't be too sure... Remember that yet another new league is right around the corner, due to hit the gridiron right around the time the NFL License is available. Beware the United Football League.

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]
Old 08-18-2007, 03:19 AM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 5

Its not Over!

How can you say its over, they made some money at least.

I think its a mind game they are doing against EA.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 5

The timing wasn't too bad, although there's probably a benefit in getting it out even earlier in the summer. As they themselves stated, 'they released alongside Madden and got crushed; they released after Madden and got crushed'. There was a time when November releases worked, but that was in the era before a Madden release was a cultural phenomenon.

What was bad was the combination of full price and fewer features than is considered standard nowadays. With just one or the other, the game could probably have performed to a 'pleasing' level. With both, the series instead ends up facing this speculation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2007, 08:02 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacks
I'm curious, does anyone know how many copies CH and NHL 2K7 sold? I would imagine CH doesn't sell many comparatively. I think if they can make that profitable then this franchise can do well.
A lot of times quality eventually wins out, not always but usually and 2K always makes much better quality than EA in sports games IMO.

GOOD POINT!!! That never crossed my mind!! Anybody got the figures? Good point dacks...sometimes OS posters amaze me. If we all got together and formed a gaming/commodity conglomerate, we'd make out pretty well in creativity
"Check out my game reviews on www.Popcultureshock.com": http://www.popcultureshock.com/index.php?author=84

Phi Nu!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »