Home

NFL2K4 All Over Again.

This is a discussion on NFL2K4 All Over Again. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #33
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: NFL2K4 All Over Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I have become the man at stopping the run. Just last night last i held Campbell to like 25 yards
This is all well and good, but it really all depends on WHO you're playing against. Why are people on here saying Earl campbell averages 10 yard per carry per game. Who knows who was playing in that game and how skilled they were. These are all variables that affect a one game average...

I'll bet even in real life Campbell probably had some games where he averaged if not 10, then close to 10 yards a carry...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #34
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

I think what happened is VC tries to justify having a great running back threat is as good as having a good QB and WR on offense by making them as tough to stop as they are. Unfortunately what makes a great back better than others is the ability to stay consistant and get that 3-5 yards a carry. They went overboard and definitely took it to that next level.

However I understand what they are trying to accomplish by making the backs significant. The problem is IRL you would just stack the line and put 8 in the box and try to stuff running lanes. In the game however doing this does not work as well even with the right personel.

My only problem with the running game is that if I have a good defensive wrap tackler and make the tackle with him then the guy should go down. None of this shimmmy, wiggle buisness they do everytime. The backs breack too many tackles even from real good top of the line players.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
I think what happened is VC tries to justify having a great running back threat is as good as having a good QB and WR on offense by making them as tough to stop as they are. Unfortunately what makes a great back better than others is the ability to stay consistant and get that 3-5 yards a carry. They went overboard and definitely took it to that next level.

However I understand what they are trying to accomplish by making the backs significant. The problem is IRL you would just stack the line and put 8 in the box and try to stuff running lanes. In the game however doing this does not work as well even with the right personel.

My only problem with the running game is that if I have a good defensive wrap tackler and make the tackle with him then the guy should go down. None of this shimmmy, wiggle buisness they do everytime. The backs breack too many tackles even from real good top of the line players.
Good point about the 3-5 ypc. Except Barry Sanders, who had more -2 yard runs than 70 yard runs, the great ones seemed to get their yards consisntently. Sure, they had games where they busted out for 200 and 10 ypc, but these were career games, not normal games during their prime years, which is the level of skill the game attempts to replicated.

Don't get me wrong, I have no significant problem with how the game works; I love it, and what I don't love I've accepted because I think that the game is so good on the whole, but I think it can be a bit too tough to bring some guys down (and yes, I've seen the Earl vidoes on Youtube, but if he did that every play, all year, he'd have averaged more than his career high of 5.2 and his career average of 4.3.) Let's not forget that anything over 4.0 is good for a career: Payton averaged 4.4, Smith 4.2, Thomas 4.2, and Sanders and astounding 5.0.

I, too, have had games where I've shut the gold backs down, but I do think that it's tougher to clog the lanes and keep backs from getting huge runs and to tackle the really good backs with what I would consider a reasonable level of consistency. JMHO.

I really like the legends concept, but since every team has eleven, and since more people have reasonably balanced squads than don't, I'd like to see a little more evenness to the game. Perhaps that's unrealistic, given the nature and concept of the game, but I can see where people like the OP are coming from, even if I don't feel quite so strongly about the point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #36
All Star

OVR: 21

I've thought the issue is the the way contact is done in the game. The three most difficult backs to stop in the game (to me) are Earl, OJ, and Gayle Sayers - all for different reasons. When initial contact is made with the runners, they should be slowed sufficiently enough/have to rebuild momentum; runners seem to retain a little too much momentum after being hit. I think it's far better than it was in 2K4, and could use some tweaking. I kinda like the differentiation. The sliders seem to work very well so tweaking to personal tastes is easy to do (not sure if that's doable/practical for online games). Personally I like having to worry about stacking a defense against Earl; as he himself once said "It's kinda girly for one guy to bring me down". Or something like that - NFL Films 100 Toughest Players. It's a great video btw; many of the legends in the game are in that video.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I believe in great backs but this is F ing ridiculous. I have Legends on the field on defense too. And when Campbell runs through Lambert, Carson and then Robinson back to back to back then that's just unrealistic. That's unrealistic no matter how you square it. All of this happened within 5 yards. But I guess when the linebackers are sitting back and and letting the ball carrier attack them rather than attacking the **** ball carrier that's what the hell happens.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I believe in great backs but this is F ing ridiculous. I have Legends on the field on defense too. And when Campbell runs through Lambert, Carson and then Robinson back to back to back then that's just unrealistic. That's unrealistic no matter how you square it. All of this happened within 5 yards. But I guess when the linebackers are sitting back and and letting the ball carrier attack them rather than attacking the **** ball carrier that's what the hell happens.
Why don't you learn something about football?

I was fooling with my blitzes, and managed to get 1 total sack on about 35 passing plays with Reggie White, Derrick Thomas, Perry, a bronze DE, and another LB.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
Why don't you learn something about football.
Yep sure.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

Hmmm... I've noticed that generally speaking, my ability to square up and take down any runner has improved in the past couple of weeks. Yes there are guys who are hard to stop, but at least I can get a few stops for a loss now.

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »