Home

Encouraging news regarding APF2K10?

This is a discussion on Encouraging news regarding APF2K10? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Encouraging news regarding APF2K10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
How would you account for positions that you weren't able to draft?
You draft the players you need each year. I don't understand what you're even attempting to argue here.

Last edited by baa7; 02-28-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
You draft the players you need each year. I don't understand what you're even attempting to argue here.
what is with your tone? he simply said it is not as easy as you are making it sound. There is alot of problems with legends.
  1. They don't get older
  2. Once they retire, then who takes there place. 2K would have wasted the license.
  3. Every team would have same players because there are only so many generics, major stat issue down the road.
  4. Post season how would that work
  5. Drafting how would that work
  6. injuries, how would you work that
  7. etc
What I am saying is it is to much of a problem with the legends. A flat out complete upgrade to NFL2k5 with GENERIC TEAMS AND PLAYERS with full customize options is the way to go.

Attempting to make APF a franchise type game is not going to happen.

I wish 2k allowed random weather in league play...that is sadly missed
Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia

I wish 2k allowed random weather in league play...that is sadly missed
I second that. Weather would be very fun to see. Imagine facing a traditional powerhouse in your league deep in the playoffs on a snow covered field. That'd give a very special ambiance added to those situations. It would also add further strategy to teams. Maybe that spread offense with 4 legend WR's and gold QB couldn't handle the weather and the power run team has a leg up on them. Maybe that strong OL/DL team wins the trenches on a tore up field to win a 6-3 slugfest. That DOES happen in real life.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
  1. They don't get older
  2. Once they retire, then who takes there place. 2K would have wasted the license.
  3. Every team would have same players because there are only so many generics, major stat issue down the road.
  4. Post season how would that work
  5. Drafting how would that work
  6. injuries, how would you work that
  7. etc
Not to mention salaries, trading, is there a cap? Can you have more than 2 Golds/3 Silvers/6 Bronze in franchise mode after a year? Will generics get star levels if they develop enough?

I don't think it can't be done, but there are some questions that need to be asked too. Now what I think would work is to treat legends in franchise mode like they were handled in Madden. You choose to enable which ones that can be drafted or signed to deals in franchise mode whereby they would likely retire after a year. Then it just generates a bunch of generic players of varying ratings.

My simple request is if they're going to do a franchise mode, please change the font! I'd like to be able to read about my team needs and what trades are proposed to me.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 32

I think a franchise could be done. In most franchise by year 10 you are playing with made up players. The legends should start in their prime. If the best season for Thurman started in year 3 then he would be a 3rd year vet.

Have a cap with gold players getting paid the most and have a sliding scale. What will make the game would be how they handle the generics and could the generics develop into legend players with proper coaching, etc.

Your draft would have players that would have legend potential but it should be other factors that could prevent them from reaching their potential. In the same a lower draft pick could rise to gold ala Terrel Davis or Shannon Sharpe.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I think a franchise could be done. In most franchise by year 10 you are playing with made up players. The legends should start in their prime. If the best season for Thurman started in year 3 then he would be a 3rd year vet.

Have a cap with gold players getting paid the most and have a sliding scale. What will make the game would be how they handle the generics and could the generics develop into legend players with proper coaching, etc.

Your draft would have players that would have legend potential but it should be other factors that could prevent them from reaching their potential. In the same a lower draft pick could rise to gold ala Terrel Davis or Shannon Sharpe.
Or they could add the legends thru the drafts as they go. The problem with a franchise is how do guys get better without quantifiable abilities?

In Madden/NCAA, players improve and it's on a numbered scale. Would this be possible in APF with 'abilities'? Maybe but that's some tough programming.

Either way let's enjoy APF 2k8 as the timeless game that it is. It doesn't get old, and I think in 10 years looking back, it will be looked at as quite a bold game.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidsboroff
Or they could add the legends thru the drafts as they go. The problem with a franchise is how do guys get better without quantifiable abilities?

In Madden/NCAA, players improve and it's on a numbered scale. Would this be possible in APF with 'abilities'? Maybe but that's some tough programming.

Either way let's enjoy APF 2k8 as the timeless game that it is. It doesn't get old, and I think in 10 years looking back, it will be looked at as quite a bold game.
I think Earl could start off as a gold but end up as a bronze. Elway ccould start as a silver, level out as a gold and at the end of his career become a silver again.

I agree 10 years from now this game will be considered a classic.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidsboroff

I was actually thinking about that. I figured that generics could get promoted to star-level, and they would either be assigned a random ability based on their position/type (so a Possession WR wouldn't get Speed Burner, but a Deep Threat WR wouldn't get Possession Reciever). It could also work where you could assign an ability from a list based on position/type. I think it would be best to do a combo of those two strategies, where when a player gets "promoted" to the next level it gives you 4-5 randomly selected abilities that you can choose from to give to the player.

Another problem is, how do you decide who gets promoted? If a Gold retires do you just promote one of your silvers? Could you skip the silvers and promote a bronze? What if you had a generic who did amazingly that year, could you promote him directly to a gold?

I think that a Franchise Mode in APF is doable, it's just going to take a LOT of programming, planning, and execution to do it right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »