Home

Concerning Backbreaker In General...

This is a discussion on Concerning Backbreaker In General... within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Concerning Backbreaker In General...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I'll admit I was a Madden fan back then. But when I first played 2k, it had no pass defense to speak of.

My point is still the same with almost any game regardless of how good the specific game is. 2k5 was in fact, much better than 2k1. Madden 10 is much better than 06. When you build off of prior development, you generally get better results.
Original 2K wasn't all that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #26
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Depends on what the developers deem successful.
Exactly. Small developer, small budget means this doesn't have to be a top 10 game to get a sequel. It does need support tho or any developer will be afraid to make a new football title, not just Natural Motion.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Exactly. Small developer, small budget means this doesn't have to be a top 10 game to get a sequel. It does need support tho or any developer will be afraid to make a new football title, not just Natural Motion.
If you don't get too excited about the preview and realize that this team scored 1.5 million paid downloads for the I-Phone version the chance for real success is there.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #28
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
You know...a long time ago, in a household far far away...there was once a game called All Pro 2k8.

The game shipped with some flaws and people either liked it or hated it.

Many people gave excuses why such and such was left out, or why this mode or that mode didnt make it....and then the chants started... " Just wait till next year guys! "

As we all know, there was never a " next year" for that game and for all we know there might never be a "next year" for Backbreaker either.

If Backbreaker releases with a myriad of issues and doesnt get much support, there would be no reason to try to release it again " next year "

There can be no excuses in this business. You either succeed or you dont.

This could be the one and only opportunity for Backbreaker to be successful.

I dont think anyone in this section of the forums wants this product to fail and I think the football community would be better as a whole for us to get some new and fresh concepts introduced back into this video sport.

Backbreaker appears to have a lot going on for it that would be a nice innovation to the genre, and thats why they need to make sure the game is ready before its released.

People need to buy this product on an " as - is " basis since no one knows the status of a sequel. We can predict EA Sports yearly titles like clockwork since most of them have a lot of support, but for those smaller companies, "next year" is never promised.

You need to get it right, and get it right the first time. Once that is completed and you garner a fan base that can support your yearly / bi-yearly updates.

There has to be a strong first foundation though. Without it, there will not be a next year.
Well said. I expect this game to have flaws but the question will be: Will the flaws detract from the fun too much.

Making a football game is way more difficult than building a shooter. Everyone will be comparing this to real football; I don't think anybody compares a shooter to a real battlefield. I'm just hoping they put down a good foundation and sell enough to justify making sequels which would allow them to use the community's input to improve the game each year. I was really surprised there wasn't a sequel to All-Pro Football. That had a good foundation but evidently it didn't sell enough to justify a sequel. That's pretty disconcerting.

This game can have the greatest physics in the world but if the AI is terrible people aren't going to play it too long.

It will be interesting to see if the development team will patch the game after release and how many patches they will be willing to release.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
That had a good foundation but evidently it didn't sell enough to justify a sequel. That's pretty disconcerting.
ALL PRO sold more then NHL2k8 and 2k8 baseball.It was in the top5 that year.It was 2k who did want to do a part2.NHL2k has never reached Allpro number in sales.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:10 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofeazy
ALL PRO sold more then NHL2k8 and 2k8 baseball.It was in the top5 that year.It was 2k who did want to do a part2.NHL2k has never reached Allpro number in sales.
Interesting. So the team just didn't have it in em to make another one. Not a very good decision on their part in my opinion.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Never heard that-this is the list I have although it's by game and console:

Top Selling Games, 2007

4.8m - Halo 3 [Xbox 360]
4.1m - Wii Play [Wii]
3.0m - Call of Duty 4 [Xbox 360]
2.7m - Guitar Hero III [PS2]
2.5m - Super Mario Galaxy [Wii]
2.5m - Pokemon Diamond [DS]
1.9m - Madden NFL '08 [PS2]
1.9m - Guitar Hero 2 [PS2]
1.8m - Assassin's Creed [Xbox 360]
1.8m - Mario Party 8 [Wii]
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
I just looked up the numbers on vgchartz and All-Pro sold about 250K copies on 360 and about 130K on PS3. Compare these numbers to the top 10 posted by JayBee74 and it was nowhere near a top 5.

MLB 2K8 sold 640K on 360 and 250K on PS3. That's over twice as much as APF. You are right about NHL 2K8 though.

Also, as well as it played, APF was massively discounted after a very short time which no doubt contributed to increase its sales and they still did not sell enough for 2K to deem it worthy of a sequel.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »